Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Here's an update. I worked a full day in agonizing tiredness, came home and finished sorted, ugh! But I've got 12 sets listed on eBay, packed and ready to ship. The good news is sets are selling really good, last few sold for $40-$50. The hits lists in the OP are going up this Sunday, on eBay.

I'll continue opening cases now and post any results. Not sure how far I'll get, I'm blasted. Too many cards... 10 cases of BDPP in the last 2 weeks, then 6 cases of Donruss this week. I've sorted like 30,000 cards in the last month. I need a break.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
Here's an update. I worked a full day in agonizing tiredness, came home and finished sorted, ugh! But I've got 12 sets listed on eBay, packed and ready to ship. The good news is sets are selling really good, last few sold for $40-$50. The hits lists in the OP are going up this Sunday, on eBay.

I'll continue opening cases now and post any results. Not sure how far I'll get, I'm blasted. Too many cards... 10 cases of BDPP in the last 2 weeks, then 6 cases of Donruss this week. I've sorted like 30,000 cards in the last month. I need a break.
That sounds like a fun weekend to me! Thanks for the update.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Does Sottie Reynolds have anythign in this set?
Hasheem ThabeetandTyreke Evans
Currently in search for a 2011 Contenders Dirk nowitzki place in history auto!!
kbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:

hire me to help you open and sort
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quite happy to come help if you want to fly me over from Australia
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #31 (permalink)

It is fun breaking open cases. But when it comes to sorting thousands of cards, that can be a different story. I've known plenty of folks that liked opening packs, but when it came to sitting for hours and sorting, they bailed. If I had a friend that could do it reliably and I trusted them to handle cards without dinging them, I would LOVE to have someone else to open/sort with. But that kind of trust doesn't happen overnight. Most of my friends think I'm nuts for even buying cards in the first place, they are like artist/intellectual types and whatnot. They poo-poo cards big time, those lame-o's.

This whole card buyer/selling thing is an experiment for me. I was only a buyer for years, but then this year I really wanted to see if it was at all possible to break even, or make a small profit, from buying cases, opening those cases, and selling on eBay. I didn't want to take anyone's word for it, I wanted to find out for myself. This means buying in bulk to get discounts, and this means garnering a good reputation amongst eBay buyers so that they trust you and are willing to pay a premium for that service. It takes time to establish that. Time and money, of course. I've learned a ton about this hobby since Feb 2010. I've learned more about this hobby in the last year, than I did in the entire 20 previous years when I was just a buyer. This hobby rules. Watching sports has so much more meaning now that I know all this stuff about cards and the players on those cards.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
It is fun breaking open cases. But when it comes to sorting thousands of cards, that can be a different story. I've known plenty of folks that liked opening packs, but when it came to sitting for hours and sorting, they bailed. If I had a friend that could do it reliably and I trusted them to handle cards without dinging them, I would LOVE to have someone else to open/sort with. But that kind of trust doesn't happen overnight. Most of my friends think I'm nuts for even buying cards in the first place, they are like artist/intellectual types and whatnot. They poo-poo cards big time, those lame-o's.

This whole card buyer/selling thing is an experiment for me. I was only a buyer for years, but then this year I really wanted to see if it was at all possible to break even, or make a small profit, from buying cases, opening those cases, and selling on eBay. I didn't want to take anyone's word for it, I wanted to find out for myself. This means buying in bulk to get discounts, and this means garnering a good reputation amongst eBay buyers so that they trust you and are willing to pay a premium for that service. It takes time to establish that. Time and money, of course. I've learned a ton about this hobby since Feb 2010. I've learned more about this hobby in the last year, than I did in the entire 20 previous years when I was just a buyer. This hobby rules. Watching sports has so much more meaning now that I know all this stuff about cards and the players on those cards.
Well Done and kudos to you buddy! Keep up the good work
Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gregnice37 Send a message via MSN to gregnice37 Send a message via Yahoo to gregnice37

Quick question for you. On the beckett checklist, the have die-cut ruby #'d/25 for all the players. Haven't seen any hit ebay, so some of us are all probable wondering if you pulled any? Looks like this parallel got pulled out from production. Would be a great help to know for sure. If you didn't pull any out of 6 cases, I'd say they were scrapped for sure.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:

Amen!!!

I really like busting packs because its like playing the lotto only the game is based on sports you love and you get something to show for your money (sets and PC hits!)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
Quick question for you. On the beckett checklist, the have die-cut ruby #'d/25 for all the players. Haven't seen any hit ebay, so some of us are all probable wondering if you pulled any? Looks like this parallel got pulled out from production. Would be a great help to know for sure. If you didn't pull any out of 6 cases, I'd say they were scrapped for sure.
I've busted 3 cases so far, haven't seen a single /25 ruby die cut parallel. I'll keep you posted on the remaining 3 cases. Should be all open by Sunday.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #36 (permalink)

Updated 1st post with case 3 hits (scans included).

Quality control on the product is excellent. I've only had to pull 2 cards out of 3 cases due to damage.

Taking tomorrow (Friday) off from work, will try to get get the 3 remaining cases opened.

3rd case might seem worse because no John Wall auto or Kobe auto, but take a closer look, Chris Mullin Prime Patch Auto, Jason Kidd Jersey/Auto, and a /25 Blake Griffin Auto, pretty nice hits.

Seems like Panini has halted on the mass production of Kobe autos though. Gone are the days when you'd get a Kobe auto per case, which seemed to happen a lot in 09/10 products, right?

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 01-07-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Updated with 4th case results.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

All 6 cases are opened, 1st post is updated with hits/scans.

Almost all of it is going up for sale on eBay starting tomorrow night, if I can get it all up there.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

Last edited by sportscentury; 01-29-2011 at 07:32 AM.
sportscentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
Alex, keep up the good work. Your professionalism is refreshing. ... Reid
Agreed! Thanks for posting the results and giving us a great idea what to look forward to in our breaks.

-Matt
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #41 (permalink)

I could use one of those Larry sanders autos lmk bro
Carolina Panthers
bbplaya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #42 (permalink)

hey man thanks for sharing your hits! I know you said all will be on ebay Sunday, but I am interested in the Dan Majerlie auto if you wanna pm me
jbarnett83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #43 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words.

To all those interested in the hits pictured in the original post, they will be for sale on eBay. Not tonight, but next Thursday. (10 day auctions, $0.99, no reserve) I wish I had time to respond to all PM's, but with all the sorting I have to do to fulfill a big order for the complete sets, there just isn't time.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #44 (permalink)

For those that posted on this thread saying they were interested in some of these hits, they are all on eBay now, 7 day $0.99 auctions, no reserve.

alexlazarevich items - Get great deals on Sports Mem, Cards Fan Shop items on eBay.com!

I posted this to the eBay spam section as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
they are in retail only I listed some on ebay..... I had a josh howard, lamar odom and someone else, I think I had 3 total out of 9 blasters.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:

Your blog is really well done and gives us a real pulse of what you're experimenting.

Great job that you are doing. Great great hob.

Keep it up, would hate to see you fail after all this labor.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #47 (permalink)

just curious? whats the deal with those production line cards that look like they have a different refraction on them? but aren't labeled press proof? they have snowflake style refraction on them... I don't see any posted from your case results? and I didn't get any from blasters so I was curious how they are obtained.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
just curious? whats the deal with those production line cards that look like they have a different refraction on them? but aren't labeled press proof? they have snowflake style refraction on them... I don't see any posted from your case results? and I didn't get any from blasters so I was curious how they are obtained.
You must mean these?

JOAKIM NOAH**2010-11 DONRUSS PRODUCTION LINE #27 & 75** - eBay (item 110636105194 end time Jan-17-11 09:38:19 PST)

I have no idea what those are, must be a retail only thing? Like the Red /25 die-cuts?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Card View Post
Your blog is really well done and gives us a real pulse of what you're experimenting.

Great job that you are doing. Great great hob.

Keep it up, would hate to see you fail after all this labor.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

What I've learned so far is it is very difficult to make a profit from buying/sorting cases. There's a ton of competition from other sellers, and there aren't enough buyers in the market to raise prices except on a few rare cards/players. Also, the economy is still kinda crappy, that may be hurting things too.

Still, I've held some amazing cards in my hands in the past year. The manufactures aren't perfect, but man I tell you, some of the cards they make are just un-freaking-believably cool. I think Panini is doing a great job, not perfect, but overall, I'm really glad they exist as competition for Topps and UD. I would like to see UD make it through this tough time, I think that'd be cool. If not, I hope they fold fast so Panini can grab some of the exclusive rights that UD has. (Air Jordan, LeBron)

Right now the biggest obstacle in my experiment is time. A full time job keeps me from opening as much as I'd like, to try bigger breaks while getting better bulk pricing. I don't know how brentandbecca does it, I heard they opened 60 cases of BDPP, and had most of it sold within a few weeks. Of course, I'm just 1 person, but even if I cloned myself, not sure I could have done 60 cases. 10 was a lot to handle. It's not the sorting that's the hardest part, it's the listing on eBay and dealing with shipping, etc. Plus, I'm learning that eBay has some pretty nasty problems when you start listing hundreds of items at a time. 1 little bug can add hours/days of work. And their customer service is made for the novice, someone who doesn't read the help pages, it is not designed for experienced eBayers.

Either way, here's to opening more packs! Cheers!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #50 (permalink)

6 cases and no ed davis for me?