Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 10-11 Timeless Treasures Break (15 Box Case, from BO)

Opened 1 case of 10-11 Timeless Treasures, from Blowout.

Not selling any of it here, it's going on eBay starting Sunday SB evening, 7 day $0.99 no reserve.

Some personal notes:
*** I think this product is very well made. What I mean is the cards are freaking crystal clean and sharp and all that crap. The pictures are also really in focus and stand out well. Of course who cares about nice corners and pics on a /99 jersey card of Mehmet Okur? No one. If Panini could just make a product with Exquisite type hits, and have this quality control, then we'd all be set!
*** I think my case was slightly above average, the Wall /10 will help quite a bit.
*** I'm very disappointed with the 1/1 hit in the case, a Mehmet Okur 1/1 base Patch card (no auto)? El-sucko-grande.
*** Product is overpriced by 40% at least. There's no way 1.2K is coming out of these cases.

Results:

(blah stuff - pics below)
  • 38 base cards /399
  • 3 base cards /25
  • 4 base Jersey's /99 (Jefferson, Gay, Love, Redick)
  • 5 Rookie Year Jersey's /99 (J Nelson, D Cook, D Mutombo, A Iguodala, A Bogut)
  • 5 Home & Road Dual Jersey's /99 (J Harden, M Redd, P Ewing, K McHale, Joe Johnson)
  • 4 Apprentice RC Jersey's /99 (G Monroe, T Booker, D Jones, [triple] P Patterson, E Bledsoe, D Orton)
  • 11 (all unique) RC Recruit Auto's /299 (107 Monroe, 120, James Anderson, 126 Quincy Pondexter, 128 Greivis Vasquez, 130 Lazar Hayward, 131 Jeremy Lin, 132 Dexter Pittman, 133 Hassan Whiteside, 142 Devin Ebanks, 144 Timofey Mozgov, 150 Stanley Robinson)

(better stuff - pics below)
  • John Wall RC Recruit Auto Silver /25 (redemption)
  • DeMarcus Cousins RC Recruit Auto Gold 10/10
  • Paul George RC Recruit Auto Gold /10
  • Wesley Johnson RC Draft Auto 26/40
  • Lance Stephenson Apprentice RC Jsy/Auto 18/50
  • D James & D Pittman: Apprentice Dual Prime Patches 05/10
  • T Mozgov & T Booker & J Crawford & D Pittman: Apprentice Quad Prime Patches 07/10
  • E Udoh & G Hayward: Apprentice Dual Auto's 17/25
  • Dwight Howard Rookie Year Prime Patch 05/25
  • Mutombo, Ewing, Shaq, Garnett: Rookie Year Quad Jersey's 08/25
  • Ron Artest Championship Season Prime Patch 13/25
  • Derek Fisher Championship Season Jsy/Auto 13/25
  • Pippen & Drexler: Hall of Fame Dual Jersey's 31/50
  • Oscar Robinson Hall of Fame Auto 22/25
  • Iverson, Malone, Magic, Duncan: MVP Materials Quad Prime Patches 09/10
  • Richard Hamilton base card (#'d to his jersey) 032/399
  • Mehmet Okur Base Prime 1/1 Jazz Symbol Patch

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 01-27-2011 at 10:09 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice break. Think it's smart to have your basketball auctions end Super Bowl Sunday?

That Okur is nasssssssty.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

is griffin in this stuff???? I don't think I've seen any.
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ken View Post
Nice break. Think it's smart to have your basketball auctions end Super Bowl Sunday?

That Okur is nasssssssty.
Oh yeah, duh, I'm NOT going to post them this Sunday, I'll wait a week. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
is griffin in this stuff???? I don't think I've seen any.
Wow, I just scanned the checklist and Griffin isn't on it. Weird. Unless there's an error on the checklist? I didn't pull any Griffin.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

This case sucked, rookies are bad.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
Oh yeah, duh, I'm NOT going to post them this Sunday, I'll wait a week. Thanks for the heads up!
No problem, I am having the same problem timing my auctions this week.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
This case sucked, rookies are bad.
unless you hit a logoman , i think every case of 10/11 TT sucks lol

someone do a group break with 09/10 TT!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll keep a watch on the Magic hits

I collect 49ers, SF Giants, Nevada Alumni and Orlando Magic
Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is why I decided to go with the 09-10 Elite case. This rookie class killed this case!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Alex, thanks for sharing your case break. I agree this is an underwhelming product which is a shame because I had planned to buy a lot, now I'm buying older stuff.

I remain mystified why anyone ever thinks they are going to/deserve to get 100% payback on their breaks. Like, I honestly don't get why people say that.

Clearly, a majority of case breaks won't pay for the retail [even at a good level] price you paid. It's economically impossible. I'd guess it only happens 10-15% of the time if you get one of the chase cards, or you happen to buy a product and *later* it gets really hot like Bowman Jumbo last year or NT.

My last NT break I got:
Vince 1/1 logotag
Tyreke college RAP
Collison Rap, Maynor to 25 RAP, Thabeet RAP
Pippen auto, Isiah auto, Artest patch, Bird auto, etc

at best I'll get like 85% of my cost back if I sold everything, and I bot this one after they started rising but before prices exploded, in late August! And this is a pretty good case in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

This year's Timeless Treasures makes me angry. I just keep buying singles whenever I think of opening anything from 2010/11 Basketball
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
This year's Timeless Treasures makes me angry. I just keep buying singles whenever I think of opening anything from 2010/11 Basketball
yes and yes lol. i've opened only limited and timeless. i got a great PC card and yet i still think both products are pretty bad, especially compared to last year's siiigh...

let's open some 09/10!!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your break with us!

I have a question I hope you don't mind answering. You admitted that you'll struggle to get half the money back on this case, and you're putting all of the cards on eBay. Therefore, why did you buy the case? (I'm assuming you knew you'd struggle to get your money back for the reasons gomiamigo already gave). Is it because of the fun of busting loads of boxes? Or the potential to strike gold with one awesome card? Or were you chasing some PC cards?

Sorry, stuff like this really interests me! Thanks man, I hope you have time to answer.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Thanks for sharing your break with us!

I have a question I hope you don't mind answering. You admitted that you'll struggle to get half the money back on this case, and you're putting all of the cards on eBay. Therefore, why did you buy the case? (I'm assuming you knew you'd struggle to get your money back for the reasons gomiamigo already gave). Is it because of the fun of busting loads of boxes? Or the potential to strike gold with one awesome card? Or were you chasing some PC cards?

Sorry, stuff like this really interests me! Thanks man, I hope you have time to answer.
I've been buying lots of cases the past year, on an experiment to see if it is at all possible to break even with breaking and flipping cards on eBay/COMC/here. I've got mixed results. Sometimes I did make a profit, and sometimes not. One thing I've learned is that buyers tend to pay the same about for a jsy/auto card of a RC or star regardless of what product it comes from, so if you can pull such a card out of a $60/box vs. a $100/box, then you are more likely to make a profit on the $60/box. Super high end stuff breaks this trend, but we don't really have that anymore unless you count NT as super high end, which the market seems to be doing now that we don't have Exquisite anymore.

Additionally, regardless of what some baseball case breakers told me, I find that basketball complete sets DO sell well, and those $60/boxes usually have sets that you can build when you buy multiple cases of it. For example, I made a profit on 2 cases of 10-11 Prestige and on 6 cases 10-11 Donruss. But I lost money on 6 cases 10-11 Limited and lost (will lose) with the 1 cases of TT break here. I found that the hits in Prestige and Donruss sold just as well as the hits in Limited, the difference is I paid a lot less for Prestige and Donruss, and I was also able to build and sell sets from Prestige and Donruss. Additionally, opening Prestige and Donruss resulted in much more time spent opening and sorting and selling, which adds to the fun of the break. (assuming you like sorting and selling)

So I took a gamble on TT, in the hopes that I get one of the rare cases that has a nice logoman in it, or something similar. And opening cases is a little addictive as well. I probably shouldn't have bought the TT case, but I had some profit from the Donruss break to spend, and I couldn't resist, because like I said this is addictive. I'm lucky in that I'm not going in debt to do this "experiment", but I can see that one could easily go into debt badly if they aren't careful and resist the addictive urges to buy more to win back lost money. Same thing happens in Vegas, at the Lottery, etc.

I'm about to a point where I've opened and sold so much I ready to write a little story on my blog, like what I've learned in a year of breaking, expanding on the points I mention above. I've also opened tons of Football and Baseball, and the 3 sports are very different in how they sell. It's been one fun year. Taken way too much vacation time at my job.

Anyway, hope that answers your question.

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 01-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks man, I enjoyed reading that. I hope you continue to have success with the box and case breaks. It must take a lot of time and effort to sell all those cards for a relatively small profit but, like you said, it can be fun sometimes. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

some alright cards i guess, the problem with this set is you can buy alot of the rc logo tags or the same price as 1 or 2 tins
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

It seems like people have had bad luck busting boxes of Timeless Treasures. Having said that, I still think that there are some GREAT cards in this product. Here's one I bought on this message board (still waiting for it to arrive)...

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
It seems like people have had bad luck busting boxes of Timeless Treasures. Having said that, I still think that there are some GREAT cards in this product. Here's one I bought on this message board (still waiting for it to arrive)...

Cool card!

It's nice to see there are still people who like this product. I think it's a beautiful product, not worth the 1.2K/case, but still an amazing set of cards. Of course I remember the days of 80's and 90's cards, so maybe I'm not as hard to please as others. I agree that Panini can improve. If UD could get on card auto's throughout an entire product (Ultimate, Exquisite, etc.) then Panini can do it, and should do it. On card auto's and better designs, that would help.

I don't think opening cases is the best way to amass a good collection. Buying cards from case breakers is the better way to do it. Find buyers that provide good service, and buy from them. I think that's what I'm going to start doing once I'm done losing money on case breaks.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

wow - u didn't get one patch or tag auto in the whole case?? I bought about 7 tins of this stuff, 4 from one case and 3 from another, and I pulled a patch auto #D /5 in one and a sizetag auto #D /5 in the other. I thought you were guaranteed one of those per inner case? Guess not.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
wow - u didn't get one patch or tag auto in the whole case?? I bought about 7 tins of this stuff, 4 from one case and 3 from another, and I pulled a patch auto #D /5 in one and a sizetag auto #D /5 in the other. I thought you were guaranteed one of those per inner case? Guess not.
Sounds like you did well!

I think the 1/1 Okur from my case is a tag, yet a non-auto'd tag. I think that counts as the case tag hit. I kinda like the card, even though it's not worth much buckage. It's got a nice photo of Okur on it, and the patch is very cool. I like this product, the cards are very pretty, I just wish it didn't cost so much.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Seems like you had a somewhat rough case break there, but thanks for sharing it with us anyways.

So why are people hating on TT 10-11 compared to last years TT? I'm just curious if it is that much of an inferior product compared to what Panini offered last year......
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
Sounds like you did well!

I think the 1/1 Okur from my case is a tag, yet a non-auto'd tag. I think that counts as the case tag hit. I kinda like the card, even though it's not worth much buckage. It's got a nice photo of Okur on it, and the patch is very cool. I like this product, the cards are very pretty, I just wish it didn't cost so much.
The players I pulled were terrible though. I love the logo patch you pulled, was just suprised the case did not yield any patch autos. Definitely agree the product is overpriced.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

Great bust for Okur fans.

Last edited by montypython; 02-07-2011 at 02:49 AM.
montypython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

any sales data yet? I'm going to predict 70% loss.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote