Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Case to Buy for around $1,000

I dont care what year, or what sport. I prefer Basketball but wouldnt mind Football.
Which case out there around $1,000 do you think is the best buy?

Thanks for any input guys....
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have an idea. You post the break in here once you break it, and post this question where it belongs in hobby talk. That being said, not a single 2010/11 basketball product I would open. Buy some 08/09 basketball.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
I have an idea. You post the break in here once you break it, and post this question where it belongs in hobby talk. That being said, not a single 2010/11 basketball product I would open. Buy some 08/09 basketball.
Didnt have to be a jerk about it.......
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jc118355

Yeah seriously, what is up with people on here being jerks. Some people, just because they have been on here a few years and have a couple of posts think they run things. Who cares where it is posted. Just be nice and answer the question.

So to answer your question - depends on the sport

Baseball i would do either the new 2011 Topps or Plantinum fo rthe rookie/prospect hits
football i wiould definately do an 8 box case of Certifed or Threads
Basketball i would suggest Threads or limited
jc118355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here are my suggestions:

1. Ignore that guy
2. 2009 UD Exquisite Football (You probably can get it for around 300 a box, and the RPA's are still the best in football. The rookie class is pretty good, with 3 starting QB's, and a handful of solid skill players (McCoy, Moreno, Crabtree, Maclin)
3. 2011 Bowman Jumbo Presale (Harper is going to be in it, so it should be a solid product to open. The Jumbo HTA products never really go down past the presale price, so you should at least be able to hold it, and resell again with little to no loss.

cruiserdaddy7 was right about one thing. 2010-11 basketball is a terrible year. Only John Wall has any real hobby exposure, so all of that product is going to be terrible. You could also buy a couple of cases from 2010 baseball, if you are looking for bulk. I don't really like to see a lot of cards, so I like to have higher end stuff, with more hits and less base.

If you talk to certain dealers, you might be able to get a case of 2010 Topps 5-star or 2010 National Treasures for a little moer. (I got my 5-star for 1175 and my NT for 1200).
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars0408 View Post
Its not you, its him. He polices the forums all the time and every other post is some jerk off comment.

Your post may be in the wrong place, but you would think he was appointed Chief Moderator around this forum.
grayrob8178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrob8178 View Post
Its not you, its him. He polices the forums all the time and every other post is some jerk off comment.

Your post may be in the wrong place, but you would think he was appointed Chief Moderator around this forum.
I simply dont understand why people dont FOLLOW RULES in this forum. It is separated for a reason. I enjoy reading the box breaks, the problem is that its getting littered with stuff that per the rules doesnt belong in here.
"Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !"

What is so hard for people to comprehend about this? Now we are starting to see people testing waters for group breaks in the box breaks section. Essentially its the same as spam in an email inbox. Trying to read box breaks to find the next product to buy, instead I have to read about a guy who is breaking a product a week from now, wants to do a group break, or wants to know how to spend his money.

I provided him solid advice about staying away from 2010/11 products, and I also provided him advice on posting in the right section. Seems simple to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Jaguars, I'll repack a huge chunk of my collection into a case and sell it to you for $1000. That's my best advice...I even guarantee you'll find some 09-10 NT RAPs in there! LOL hahahahaha

I like the idea of 09 Exquisite....it's a huge risk with a chance at huge reward...but even the average cards will have SOME value.

MY BUCKET: http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/tyewreeek13/
tYEwREEEk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont care what year, or what sport. I prefer Basketball but wouldnt mind Football.
Which case out there around $1,000 do you think is the best buy?

Thanks for any input guys....
I guess the big question is, when buying a case what are you looking for and/or hoping to hit? Do you like alot of packs to open? Do you prefer high end or mid-range product? Exquisite is a fun product, but 21 cards later you are done. If you like alot of hits and decent amount of packs, try Certified possibly. Alot of people like Contenders FB here, the cases are higher than 1k but have a chance to hit a nice gold redemption. So many options, but helps to know what you are looking for beyond a dollar amount and sport.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

staying away from 2010-11 products isnt solid advice at all actually....especially after telling him to only buy 08-09 products. Let me absolutely SON you real quick...08-09 goes down as the single worst year for experience. Tons of rookies 1 and done year from college with little to know experience which is why almost every single 08-09 is and will be an absolute bust talent wise (most definitely will be a bust when considering possible appreciated future value). WITH THE EXCEPTION OF Derrick Rose and POSSIBLYYYY Kevin Love (yeah kevin love is selling hot now...its quite possible that doesnt last more then another year or two). Russell Westbook being the third DECENT selling card mehhh...08-09 provides 3 options...more then likely 2 solid options (at roughly 140% of their original values why would you even think about buying boxes of 08-09 products?) IF youre going to spend more then you should be on a product...why arent you just spending 140% of a cards book value to get the card you want?

2010-11 provides relatively low cost products as of right now now that fools are over buying 08-09 in HOPES for D-Rose and 09-10 in HOPES for Blake Griffin. This leaves and surplus of 2010-11 products (holding a steady price if not falling cheaper) loaded with both young talent and experienced talent alike with most 1st round picks holding enough upside to be something special.

John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Paul George
Ed Davis
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson

All have more then enough upside to selling for well over their card costs now if you wait.

So the REAL question is (and always should be the only question). Do you want to buy products with a chance at heavy selling cards to RESELL them. In that case...overspend on 08-09 and 09-10 products and hope for the best. Or do you want a safe alternative cheaper product with lower selling players to collect and hold on to to sell at a later date?

Answer seems a bit obvious to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauman711 View Post
staying away from 2010-11 products isnt solid advice at all actually....especially after telling him to only buy 08-09 products. Let me absolutely SON you real quick...08-09 goes down as the single worst year for experience. Tons of rookies 1 and done year from college with little to know experience which is why almost every single 08-09 is and will be an absolute bust talent wise (most definitely will be a bust when considering possible appreciated future value). WITH THE EXCEPTION OF Derrick Rose and POSSIBLYYYY Kevin Love (yeah kevin love is selling hot now...its quite possible that doesnt last more then another year or two). Russell Westbook being the third DECENT selling card mehhh...08-09 provides 3 options...more then likely 2 solid options (at roughly 140% of their original values why would you even think about buying boxes of 08-09 products?) IF youre going to spend more then you should be on a product...why arent you just spending 140% of a cards book value to get the card you want?

2010-11 provides relatively low cost products as of right now now that fools are over buying 08-09 in HOPES for D-Rose and 09-10 in HOPES for Blake Griffin. This leaves and surplus of 2010-11 products (holding a steady price if not falling cheaper) loaded with both young talent and experienced talent alike with most 1st round picks holding enough upside to be something special.

John Wall
Demarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Paul George
Ed Davis
Evan Turner
Wesley Johnson

All have more then enough upside to selling for well over their card costs now if you wait.

So the REAL question is (and always should be the only question). Do you want to buy products with a chance at heavy selling cards to RESELL them. In that case...overspend on 08-09 and 09-10 products and hope for the best. Or do you want a safe alternative cheaper product with lower selling players to collect and hold on to to sell at a later date?

Answer seems a bit obvious to me.
This guy isnt serious is he? Evan Turner? Paul George? Ed Davis? Cousins wont be in the league considering his own team cant stand him.

You dont think 08/09 is a good class? Rose, Love, E Gordon, Mayo(will be traded), Beasley, Westbrook, Jerryd Bayless, Hibbert, Gallinari, JJ Hickson, George Hill.

There are current studs like Gordon, Rose, Love and Westbrook. You also have guys who put together solid numbers now and are waiting to start or continue starting. I think most would agree on these boards that 10/11 products are brutal considering ONLY Wall sells, and he isnt an easy pull.
I agree 2009/10 isnt great, but 08/09 product is a GREAT investment. Do we really think Wall on the Wizards is going to be a hobby icon? Doubt it.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

im going to agree with cruiserman. the only thing, is that you cant get full unopened cases of 08/09 cases anymore. you might be able to pick a few loose boxes here and there, but complete cases of chrome, exquisite, ultimate and etc just dont come on the market very often.

distributors are also not trying to liquidate their inventory of 2010/11 inventory too. they arent going to make the same mistake last year, when they couldnt give away boxes of crown royale, and court kings and see it jump 2x in 3 months.

unless you can get cases of timeless treasures for less than 65 a box, i dont see how its worth it. same thing with limited. the only product that interests me is ultimate, mostly because you are supposed to have one really nice hit per case. if you can get the boxes at less than 50 a box, i still think its worth a shot, but only when you can get the whole case or trust the guy you buy from.

the 08/09 draft is filled with guys who play substantial minutes, and who all played big minutes when they were rookies. this years draft is filled with guys who probably will end up as role players.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

i think i might go with 10-11 threads, really like the look of it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I second that!!!! Must be peoples upbringing, if not corrected when small they grow to be all out a$$es lol
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just stay away from 10-11. It's Wall or bust. 09-10 is a beast and outclass 10-11 by 3 fold.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I agree Suki...You can't go wrong with 08-09 and/or 09-10. Good Luck Jags!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree with the person who said that 08-09 and 09-10 are inflated prices right now so in a way he is right.

While right now those draft classes KILL the 2010-11 draft class that doesn't mean that there won't be 5 super stars in the draft class in 2 years.

So if you are looking to bust and hold onto the cards for a little bit I don't think 2010-11 is that bad of an idea. Some guys in the class have some hobby potential: Wall, Cousins (I know hes a headcase and not efficient but he can be good), Wesley Johson, Paul George, Larry Sanders, Evan Turner, Fields, Monroe, Ed Davis, Mozgov, Derrick Favors and a few others have potential to be good players.

But if you are looking to bust and sell. I would go with someone from 09-10 or maybe 08-09 topps chrome or Topps.

I did a case of 2008-09 Topps and pulled a Rose/Mayo Dual Photoshoot auto and a Westbrook/Bayless Photoshoot auto along with 4 rip cards /10, /25, /99 x2 (but I ripped and got garbage), along with a bunch of sets (like 12 rose, westbrook, love, gordon ect rookies), a few gold rookies ect. Not a bad product in my opinion!
Kobe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

i didnt read all of this post but 08/09 products are way too expensive for what u get, only rose and westbrook really sell for high value and their stuff isnt easy to get. before 09-10 products jumped up about 50% almost that was the products to get, now its too expensive. 10-11 stuff theres really not a great product out there for this year at this point. with basketball stuff right now u have to either overpay for something decent or go with the low/mid end stuff that is cheaper and more boring to open. if u want nba maybe hold ur money for a while til more products come out and see what there is, i dunno, not a great time to open nba products, unfortunately, unless u have plenty of money and dont care what u pay & what return u get on avg.
inopethflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopethflames View Post
i didnt read all of this post but 08/09 products are way too expensive for what u get, only rose and westbrook really sell for high value and their stuff isnt easy to get. before 09-10 products jumped up about 50% almost that was the products to get, now its too expensive. 10-11 stuff theres really not a great product out there for this year at this point. with basketball stuff right now u have to either overpay for something decent or go with the low/mid end stuff that is cheaper and more boring to open. if u want nba maybe hold ur money for a while til more products come out and see what there is, i dunno, not a great time to open nba products, unfortunately, unless u have plenty of money and dont care what u pay & what return u get on avg.
Blowout had sent a mass email this week for 08/09 chrome basketball at what might be the last reasonable price $99. I still can justify 08/09 pricing over 10/11 because these products havent been discounted enough to buy. Timeless Treasures and Limited are TERRIBLY overpriced. We have all seen limited boxes product $10 in cards if that. Also, too many redemptions. I dont believe Chrome 08/09 had many if any.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
MFM

Everyone should buy and bust 08-09 Topps Chrome hobby boxes so someone can find the Chris Douglas-Roberts non-auto Superfractor and sell it to me.

Now, back on topic:
It really does depend on what you want to get out of busting the case. Resale value? Set building? Lots of hits?
MFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

08-09 is the only year since maybe 03-04 where products actually went up after they had been released, and they went way up. it was a good rookie year in reality but the sale value of anyone but rose or now westbrook doesnt match their reality status. every year from 04-05 through 07-08 the products came out and went down in price so eventually they got to a level where u could buy them & do well on many of the products. 08-09 didnt, 09-10 did slightly and we know what happened a month ago to those prices, and they will never be back as low as they were. i think 10-11 though will definitely drop in price and they seem to be doing that, at least that is one benefit of 09-10 products going way up, their demand is higher which makes 10-11 products lower, therefore lowering the price. the best thing would be if that a couple pretty good 10-11 products came out in the future and then once they dropped after 6 months or so, then at that point they become much better deals.
inopethflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Default cruiserdaddy7

QUOTE=cruiserdaddy7;1089509]I guess the big question is, when buying a case what are you looking for and/or hoping to hit? Do you like alot of packs to open? Do you prefer high end or mid-range product? Exquisite is a fun product, but 21 cards later you are done. If you like alot of hits and decent amount of packs, try Certified possibly. Alot of people like Contenders FB here, the cases are higher than 1k but have a chance to hit a nice gold redemption. So many options, but helps to know what you are looking for beyond a dollar amount and sport.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Vegas; 03-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
cruiserdaddy7 STFU PLEASE
QUOTE=cruiserdaddy7;1089509]I guess the big question is, when buying a case what are you looking for and/or hoping to hit? Do you like alot of packs to open? Do you prefer high end or mid-range product? Exquisite is a fun product, but 21 cards later you are done. If you like alot of hits and decent amount of packs, try Certified possibly. Alot of people like Contenders FB here, the cases are higher than 1k but have a chance to hit a nice gold redemption. So many options, but helps to know what you are looking for beyond a dollar amount and sport.
[/QUOTE]

How does that have anything to do with this thread? Insult me all you want or tell me to shut up, but at the very least add something ON TOPIC to the thread.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

If I had a $1,000 to buy a case, it would definetly be 2009-10 Topps Basketball JUMBO case. I believe it comes with 4 boxes but could be wrong, I actually think 6 boxes. If it's 4 boxes then you should have money left over, but 6 boxes... I think $100 to $200 more!

Other than that I would say 2007-08 Topps Letterman Basketball, but that one has 8 boxes so it might also go higher than your price range, but worth it!

Good luck no matter what you buy.