Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Busted a Retail 08-09 Topps Chrome-So Cool but so annoying!

So i bought one of these for 199.99 on black friday. I was gonna try and flip it but it started to loo like I'd break even or lose with the fees. So I busted it for fun tonight, great box for a non-autos box except...

Highlights:

Derrick Rose RC
Russell Westbrook RC
Michael Beasley RC
Yi Jianlian Xfractor
Danilo Gallinari RC Xfractor
Marc Gasol Orange RC
DJ White Refractor RC
Rondo Refractor
Gilbert Arenas Orange

and Eric Gordon Orange Refractor looked dead on 9.5 or 10 until boom, bottom right corner was dinged Perfect centering! Perfect Edges and Surface

I'm gonna send it in to Topps for a replacement but they don't make bball anymore so I have no idea what they are gonna do for me, probably a $100 or close card if it comes back a 9.5 esp if he gets healthy and plays well. Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

thought #1, dont send it in.

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcounter View Post
thought #1, dont send it in.
Agree 100% you will never see the card again if this happens and they legally can't send you anything for it
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

so keep a damaged card with a quarter of its value or more knocked out? i dont see how they legally couldnt replace an item they has a right to sell, its not like its a secret 12-13 product
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

what do you want them to do about it? They don't make bball anymore and this is the risk of buying older products..

I for one don't know why anybody would drop $200 on a retail box.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't understand that response wolffer? ok you don't know why i would spend 200 on a retail box? so what, you don't have to. i was very happy with my cards, i don't need a rose auto refractor to be happy, all im interested in in this thread is if anyone has any actual knowledge or experience in getting cards replaced post topps making basketball.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Eric Gordon orange only sells for like $25.
crazymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

eric gordon orange | eBay

well they are listed for a bit higher here, but yea i guess i was high.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow that would be a really fun break!

But i agree dont send it in.
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Topps' policy is not replacing any non-current year cards. So you won't get anything even if you send it in.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to MCAutoGraphs

Yup, if you send it in you'll get nothing back..probably not even a response from them. crazy price for a retail box!
Find me on FB under Memorabilia Craze 4 Contests & Specials, Twitter @ Memorabilia_Now
MCAutoGraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcautographs View Post
yup, if you send it in you'll get nothing back..probably not even a response from them. Crazy price for a retail box!
i would break that 8 box case for 2 grand, i pack a day
4mightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you do contact them dont tell them you should be getting a $100 value card in return because thats what a 9.5 Gordon would have been worth. That would certinly be the wrong approach. My advice would be too salvage what you could from it and sell it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
so keep a damaged card with a quarter of its value or more knocked out? i dont see how they legally couldnt replace an item they has a right to sell, its not like its a secret 12-13 product
They aren't legally obligated to replace the card. However they do state that they will, within the year of the card being produced.

You think that if you bought this box a year from now they should still be legally obligated to replace it? How about 5 years from now? 30 years from now?

& I love your evaluation of what the card would be worth, if it were Gem Mint, and if he were playing, and playing well. My Kenny Satterfields would be worth a #@#@#@#@ ton if his brain wasn't as screwed up as Eric Gordon's knee.
mcgahee21nfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
They aren't legally obligated to replace the card. However they do state that they will, within the year of the card being produced.

You think that if you bought this box a year from now they should still be legally obligated to replace it? How about 5 years from now? 30 years from now?

& I love your evaluation of what the card would be worth, if it were Gem Mint, and if he were playing, and playing well. My Kenny Satterfields would be worth a #@#@#@#@ ton if his brain wasn't as screwed up as Eric Gordon's knee.
Well my evaluations in 5 years of being in the hobby have made me a good amount of dough and I typed that post having seen this recently:

and this

2008 09 Eric Gordon Topps Chrome Orange Refractor RC Rookie 499 BGS 10 w 10 | eBay

But crazymj who's opinion I respect was right to say that the value has really dropped. That being said, when a player is injured, that is the way you have to evaluate it, hence why I killed off Blake Griffin when i bought a ton of his stuff prior to the 10-11 season.

As for the legal aspect, I'm a lawyer, so I'm pretty sure I understand contracts. All I wanted to know is what they commonly do. I know if I fought this to death I could get the card replaced, a contractual agreement doesn't have a statute of limitations of 4 years in a case like this (I think its 6) and I have the box, serial # and pack wrapper but we are talking about a mediocre basketball card and I'm not gonna do anything about this so I asked the forum about what they know that can help me.

Thanks to everyone who DID tell me about what they know about topps, looks like I'll just keep it or try to resell if he ever plays again.

ZERO thanks to everyone who wasted 10 seconds of my life by typing that it was dumb to open a retail box of a set that I really enjoyed when it was discounted on black friday. I enjoyed the box and got a few cards for my PC inlcuding the Rose and Westbrook RC. I miss Topps but not something I would bust often.

To those people who continue to help and make this a great hobby, thanks, and I enjoy being part of this forum for the most part and have met some great people to deal with!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
Well my evaluations in 5 years of being in the hobby have made me a good amount of dough and I typed that post having seen this recently:

and this

2008 09 Eric Gordon Topps Chrome Orange Refractor RC Rookie 499 BGS 10 w 10 | eBay

But crazymj who's opinion I respect was right to say that the value has really dropped. That being said, when a player is injured, that is the way you have to evaluate it, hence why I killed off Blake Griffin when i bought a ton of his stuff prior to the 10-11 season.

As for the legal aspect, I'm a lawyer, so I'm pretty sure I understand contracts. All I wanted to know is what they commonly do. I know if I fought this to death I could get the card replaced, a contractual agreement doesn't have a statute of limitations of 4 years in a case like this (I think its 6) and I have the box, serial # and pack wrapper but we are talking about a mediocre basketball card and I'm not gonna do anything about this so I asked the forum about what they know that can help me.

Thanks to everyone who DID tell me about what they know about topps, looks like I'll just keep it or try to resell if he ever plays again.

ZERO thanks to everyone who wasted 10 seconds of my life by typing that it was dumb to open a retail box of a set that I really enjoyed when it was discounted on black friday. I enjoyed the box and got a few cards for my PC inlcuding the Rose and Westbrook RC. I miss Topps but not something I would bust often.

To those people who continue to help and make this a great hobby, thanks, and I enjoy being part of this forum for the most part and have met some great people to deal with!
Here is a novel idea for you... if you don't want opinions from people don't ask for them.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

I never asked for anyones opinion about whether they felt it was a good decision to purchase the product, I was comfortable with that decision. I asked for any thoughts related to Topps possibly replacing the card.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree with the others in this thread. I do not think Topps will send you a replacement card if you do send it in. Glad you enjoyed the break. I'd love to bust some Topps Chrome as well.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcwd2000 View Post
I agree with the others in this thread. I do not think Topps will send you a replacement card if you do send it in. Glad you enjoyed the break. I'd love to bust some Topps Chrome as well.
That seems to be the consensus here, I guess I'll just eat it. What sucks is how perfect the card is without that corner being ruined. Its really clsoe to a BGS 10 in every other way.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

You grade cards professionally? You have no idea what it's going to come back. Just because it "looks" bgs 10 to you doesn't mean anything. And I don't know of any company that's going to replace a card because of a dinged corner...
khauser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khauser86 View Post
You grade cards professionally? You have no idea what it's going to come back. Just because it "looks" bgs 10 to you doesn't mean anything. And I don't know of any company that's going to replace a card because of a dinged corner...
I don't grade professionally, but this card is PERFECT besides that corner, and I've had enough cards graded where I'm right most of the time about grades. But anyway, that's not true, all card companies will replace cards for damage if the card is damage and you have the UPC # and a wrapper/box and some other info if the card was damaged by the manufacturer. Obviously people have fake this or sent in cards that they may have damaged themselves but its essentially an honor code. I sent in a John Wall HRX to Panini a few months ago and they replaced it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to boombaby_rm31

amazing pull

@boombaby_rm31
boombaby_rm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #23 (permalink)

not trying to start stuff but I seriously doubt you are a lawyer. (i think its 6 years) just as an example. and your overall communication skills and the way you talk. and because your getting upset because you wasted your money on a 200 dollar retail box and your only card from the break worth anything is damaged. you just lost about 175 dollars. and if your a lawyer, why would you care about getting a 25 dollar card replaced anyways ?!?! and why would you care about losing 175 dollars? also why don't you just buy a 9.5 or 10 ?
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip+flip View Post
not trying to start stuff but I seriously doubt you are a lawyer. (i think its 6 years) just as an example. and your overall communication skills and the way you talk. and because your getting upset because you wasted your money on a 200 dollar retail box and your only card from the break worth anything is damaged. you just lost about 175 dollars. and if your a lawyer, why would you care about getting a 25 dollar card replaced anyways ?!?! and why would you care about losing 175 dollars? also why don't you just buy a 9.5 or 10 ?
hahahaha, that i'm not gonna get mad about, what a stupid comment... btw i like how you started with not trying to start stuff... yea nobody would get offended by you telling them they have bad communication skills, they aren't in the profession they worked so hard for and that they shouldn't care about 175 bucks (btw if you look above i originally thought the card was worth much more).

Last edited by dasiegel; 12-13-2012 at 11:23 AM.
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

pm me please what you have from my wantlist here:

2008-09 Topps Chrome #193 Anthony Randolph RC
2008-09 Topps Chrome #202 Kosta Koufos RC
2008-09 Topps Chrome #207 Joey Dorsey RC
2008-09 Topps Chrome #217 Trent Plaisted RC

2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors #181 Derrick Rose
2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors #208 Mario Chalmers
2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors #209 DeAndre Jordan
2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors #215 Walter Sharpe

2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors Orange #181 Derrick RoseSER 499
2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors Orange #184 Russell WestbrookSER 499
2008-09 Topps Chrome Refractors Orange #185 Kevin LoveSER 499