Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/17/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Seriously, I think these threads are a great resource.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

Agreed. I enjoy the breakdowns!
Bizzydesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Cool, I'll try to post upcoming breaks. They are:

- 3 cases Panini Signatures NBA
- 7 cases Panini NT NBA
- 3 cases Panini Innovation NBA
- 2 cases Panini Elite Series NBA
- 3 cases Panini Intrigue NBA

And when 13-14 products release in Oct/Nov (?) I'll be busting them too. Low end products such as Prestige and Hoops will be busted in greater quantity, and those are usually the money makers for me. There are a lot of collectors on eBay wanting sets of all NBA releases.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Cool, I'll try to post upcoming breaks. They are:

- 3 cases Panini Signatures NBA
- 7 cases Panini NT NBA
- 3 cases Panini Innovation NBA
- 2 cases Panini Elite Series NBA
- 3 cases Panini Intrigue NBA

And when 13-14 products release in Oct/Nov (?) I'll be busting them too. Low end products such as Prestige and Hoops will be busted in greater quantity, and those are usually the money makers for me. There are a lot of collectors on eBay wanting sets of all NBA releases.
Man!! You really did jump back in with a vengeance. Good luck with all those breaks. 18 more cases this year and counting... You still doing other sports as well?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440shane View Post
Man!! You really did jump back in with a vengeance. Good luck with all those breaks. 18 more cases this year and counting... You still doing other sports as well?
Thanks! It's going to be a busy late July and August as these last five 12-13 NBA releases come out. Unfortunately, I do expect losses on some of the breaks. But I'm trying to provide consistency to eBay buyers/collectors, hoping they will come back to me when looking for singles/sets/lots/etc in every Panini NBA product that is released. Right now, I'm just focusing on Panini NBA, not busting any other sport.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #31 (permalink)

Thanks Alex, you always have the best case breakdowns

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #32 (permalink)

Cant wait to see the next reports! I truely enjoy these breakdowns!
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to scottssportcent

Awesome breakdown. I actually went and looked up your other breakdowns. Im impressed. Keep it up, alex.
scottssportcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have to say, i look forward to your posts and I also just saved your eBay ID. good luck with the breaks!
PC and sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28871127@N03/sets
Rabie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #35 (permalink)

i really like ur case breaks, i hope you can overall come out generally even or ahead as much as possible, its so much work doing that selling & shipping on ebay. i cant even comprehend doing that while having a fulltime job. unless you worked on it during ur actual job which i would try to do if i was a teacher like you but anyway i cant wait to see your 7 cases of nt report, that will be an exciting break. you should do that on youtube or something.

can you tell us for either the 12-13 season or 2013 calendar year what your overall monetary results are, either just gross, or just if your ahead or down? with the cost of panini products at release, if your near close or even ahead somehow thatd be fairly amazing.
inopethflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopethflames View Post
i really like ur case breaks, i hope you can overall come out generally even or ahead as much as possible, its so much work doing that selling & shipping on ebay. i cant even comprehend doing that while having a fulltime job. unless you worked on it during ur actual job which i would try to do if i was a teacher like you but anyway i cant wait to see your 7 cases of nt report, that will be an exciting break. you should do that on youtube or something.

can you tell us for either the 12-13 season or 2013 calendar year what your overall monetary results are, either just gross, or just if your ahead or down? with the cost of panini products at release, if your near close or even ahead somehow thatd be fairly amazing.

I love seeing Alex's recaps as well. But your concerns are mine exactly. The amount of time that goes into collation/breaking/packing/shipping/etc is INSANE. I've done a few cases at one point and it felt like it took over my life for a good 2 weeks. Of course I work a 40-45hr week too. But still, I can't even imagine the mindless hours sorting through 5 cases of cards, thousands of base cards.

I would take the "profits" and divide them by the amount of man hours involved, including opening/sorting/packing/listing/shipping and then determine if that $$$ is worth the hour of "free time" it has used up. IMO break-even is a HUGE loss considering the time put into this. If done as a hobby, I can see it justified. But if done as a 'business', these astronomical hours put in must be accounted for. I know Alex has some help with the sorting, but even so, I would assume it to be a life-consuming task!

But please don't stop Alex, it's very interesting & informative!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #37 (permalink)

Great Breakdown as usual....

Totally agree with set collation breakdown. No way should I have triples or more of one card and nothing for like 10-12 in a 100 card base set. Frustrating. I think it is a ploy to get people to buy more boxes. I've done it before

I think I might have read once, but why again can you not sell here, just ebay? Is that something to do with you being a registered case breaker for Panini??
Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavers98 View Post
Great Breakdown as usual....

Totally agree with set collation breakdown. No way should I have triples or more of one card and nothing for like 10-12 in a 100 card base set. Frustrating. I think it is a ploy to get people to buy more boxes. I've done it before

I think I might have read once, but why again can you not sell here, just ebay? Is that something to do with you being a registered case breaker for Panini??
Being a registered case breaker with Panini only restricts you from selling sealed wax.

I believe Alex only sells on eBay because it's the easiest way for him to track sales and run figures.

And also, there's a ton of back-and-forth via PMs, people playing games, etc. At least with eBay regular auctions, he has sold goods, and they must be paid for (for the most part). So it simplifies his processes as opposed to creating more potential for confusion & issues when selling informally on here.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Thanks and very helpful!

Last edited by knicksguy86; 07-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
knicksguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #40 (permalink)

If you started a website with these stats and perhaps a message board, I would save it as a 'Favorite Place' and check in on it often.....you may want to consider doing something like that. Once you get enough visitors, I'm sure you could sell advertising to companies like Blowout....
JDF5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

Wow, I must have gotten super lucky on my one box, got Durant auto, crusade 99 and 49, a Nobility and a Knight Court - the latter two I gave to kids at the shop!

edit: Alex, I LOVE your breaks! Keep up the good work!

Last edited by gomiamigo; 07-15-2013 at 04:38 PM.
gomiamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #42 (permalink)

You all are totally right. Case breaking is not a good way to make a living. In fact it's a good way to lose a lot of cash. And the time spend on 4+ case break is immense. Only reason I can do it is because I'm single. No debt. Good full time job.

I won't post details of my business costs. (what I pay for cases, how I sort, scan, list everything, how much time I spend, etc.) That is for me and only me. I've got 2 years of experience and there's a lot of tweaking and hard lessons learned in there. Some breaks do result in losses for me, I've never denied that. But I also have a small consistent following on eBay. Buyers do come back if you treat them right. That helps prevent those $0.99 auctions (I list everything in auction), if you have more followers then someone is always willing to bid higher. There are other things one can do to help offset losses as well, but I can't discuss those issues here because I would be breaking forum rules.

What I can post are gross sales results. That should give a good idea of what value is coming out of a case. Of course even my multi-case breaks are only a tiny fraction of the total case print run.

Building another website is a great idea. Time is a limiting factor. I hardly have time to post results on this forum.

Selling on Blowout did not work for me. The key with new products is to sell fast, and sell in auctions. Selling on Blowout takes a lot of time, and prices are usually softened before you run out of inventory. More importantly, this forum contains some of the more astute collectors. They will not pay a penny over what they know to be a fair price. Or, in many cases, they want to pay less.

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 07-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #43 (permalink)

doing it all on ebay when you have a job would save some time & in auction form on ebay sometimes things go higher than you'd plan, sometimes less, it probably evens out in the end. the only thing i would say is that i dont think people would complain if you charged $2.99 for s&h & like $.99 per additional item. thatd get you like $1k back from those last 1153 items youve had on ebay. no one could really say that an extra $1 for the handling part of s&h isnt valid with the vast amount of cards you sell. but if your keeping it at less than $2 your ebay buyers should give you a lot of loyalty, the avg s&h on ebay now is at least $3 if not higher.
inopethflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #44 (permalink)

very gd point

kudos to you Alex! gd luck for your NT break
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopethflames View Post
doing it all on ebay when you have a job would save some time & in auction form on ebay sometimes things go higher than you'd plan, sometimes less, it probably evens out in the end. the only thing i would say is that i dont think people would complain if you charged $2.99 for s&h & like $.99 per additional item. thatd get you like $1k back from those last 1153 items youve had on ebay. no one could really say that an extra $1 for the handling part of s&h isnt valid with the vast amount of cards you sell. but if your keeping it at less than $2 your ebay buyers should give you a lot of loyalty, the avg s&h on ebay now is at least $3 if not higher.
Have you ever seen Alex's auctions? ALL his shipping is $1.94 with FREE additional auctions won, unless they are complete sets or large lots. Can't beat that.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440shane View Post
Have you ever seen Alex's auctions? ALL his shipping is $1.94 with FREE additional auctions won, unless they are complete sets or large lots. Can't beat that.
Buyers love my shipping charges. Some other sellers don't.

Some larger lots are more than $1.94. But yeah, a single card is $1.94 shipping.

When I first started this card business, I decided I was not going to be a success by overcharging on shipping. Or anything other shortcuts. If I was going to make my business a success, it was going to do so by being completely honest and fair to the buyer. Period. And that means the buyer pays for shipping the card and a very minimal fee for the supplies needed to get the card safely to them. Nothing more. And if they buy more items, there is no additional charges to shipping.

If my card business can't be done with that as a shipping policy, then oh well, at least I go down swinging at a strike - the right way. The same way I'd want it to be if I were the buyer.

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 07-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
If my card business can't be done with that as a shipping policy, then oh well, at least I go down swinging at a strike - the right way. The same way I'd want it to be if I were the buyer.
Great post. I commend you Alex for your integrity in the hobby. I also always appreciate your case results. They are very insightful and fun to read.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

Did you get any Norris Cole Cards from the Crusade Case?
Darkknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #49 (permalink)

Hey Alex, can you update on this?

Also, did you do your NT break yet?!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

I appreciate any seller that puts cards up on ebay and lets them run. No games, no shills, just a nice ol' auction format.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote