Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Wow, nice pulls Alex!

Looks like you will probably come out in the green on this one!

at $1300/case that's a bit over $9k. I can see you getting 4-5k with the handful of big hits off the top!

ROI before taxes/supplies/fees should put you in the green IMO!

Nicely done!
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouts2 View Post
Your 7 cases killed the blowout 10 case break
+10000000 Congrats Alex
DizzyDSki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

Wow... Looks like an amazing break. Crazy patches.... Congrats all around!

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/atothelo88/
AtotheLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

Some Very Nice Hits!! Kobe,Kyrie,Barnes,Bird,Robinson etc etc.. WOW!!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #30 (permalink)

WOW! Sick 7 cases. Congrats!

You should be in the green, especially if you paid close to cost
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

Sweet pulls, Alex! I've got my eye on a couple of these auctions!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #32 (permalink)

Amazing breaks, Alex, one of my favorite posters as always. GL!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

crazy hits! that vino is awesome!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Wow, thats some sick pulls. Pretty much all the big names. Love the 1/1 of Robinson. Your not keeping any of these hits? Seems weird everyone just sell all their hit. I guess Im an old school collector and save my favorite cards. Nice breaks
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
Wow, thats some sick pulls. Pretty much all the big names. Love the 1/1 of Robinson. Your not keeping any of these hits? Seems weird everyone just sell all their hit. I guess Im an old school collector and save my favorite cards. Nice breaks
Alex is a businessman, he doesn't deal with cards for the joy of the hobby, and doesn't collect. He simply buys sealed cases and sells all the contents on eBay in an attempt to profit.

There are a good amount of people like this in the hobby these days. Many others are in simply for the gamble at hitting a big card and sell everything regardless of profit or loss, but simply to feed their gambling addictions.

Alex busts tons of cases of each Panini release. Whether or not he has profited thus far in his venture is unknown. Many have tried this method in the past and failed due to the simple fact of high product cost, low sell value (maybe 5-10% of each product has single cards that will have a higher sale value than a single box cost)

However, these threads are interesting to me. While I don't think the venture is necessarily a wise from a business-perspective, I am intrigued to see how it all works out ... and hope I am wrong and Alex does eventually profit in the end.
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
Great question. I am not a collector. I run a small side business registered in the state of Illinois as an internet retailer, primarily selling sports cards on eBay. I pay state and federal taxes for my business. I'm registered as a Panini Case Breaker, this allows me buy from distributors. But I must follow some rules: I cannot "collect" cards from my breaks, and I can never sell boxes/cases within the first 30 days of release. I am also very busy with my full time job and cards on the side, I don't have much time to be a collector. Some day I hope to open a card shop and do cards full time. This would allow me to change my business so I could devote more time to being a collector again.

EDIT: paul06901 is mostly right, but I take issue with one comment he makes. ("he doesn't deal with cards for the joy of the hobby") I do, in fact, love this hobby. I like all aspects of sports cards. Ever since I opened my first pack when I was 15 I was hooked on cards. I like opening packs, sorting sets, looking at stats on the backs, looking at mega patches, being fascinated by an on card auto realizing a player I respect actually touched the card! I do my side business, which takes a great deal of my personal time and finances, only because I love this hobby. Case breaking is not a good way to make money. In fact most of the time you will lose money. Paul is correct about that, for sure. There is no way I would do this if I didn't love cards. Just wanted to clear that up.

Here are the cards that started it all for me back in 1986:

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 08-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

Love that '86 Topps set (aside from the easily-whitened upper corners)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Great stuff as always Alex!!!

Quick question, if your an registered Case Breaker do you have to sell everything on Ebay or can you take them to shows or sell them in your shop?
ClipsSkins916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipsSkins916 View Post
Great stuff as always Alex!!!

Quick question, if your an registered Case Breaker do you have to sell everything on Ebay or can you take them to shows or sell them in your shop?
Yes, the case breaker application says you must sell everything.

I don't know what Panini is really looking for in their case breakers, but the application asks you to list where you sell the cards: online, shows, store, etc.

I would think that if you have a shop which is a business, and customers can come in and buy sports cards, that qualifies as a hobby shop? If so, then you can buy direct from Panini, and forgo the case breaker status. Case breaker status is really for those business that don't have a walk in hobby shop where collectors can walk in and buy cards/boxes/cases/supplies.

Hope that helps. I'm not an expert, I only know my small realm.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #40 (permalink)

This is really sick break!!!! Congrats!!!

FS/FT: http://s211.photobucket.com/user/David-Collection/library/For%20Sell%20-%20For%20Trade
DMcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #41 (permalink)

Interested to hear what your final breakdown was?

Did you make any money on this break?
SlickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
Interested to hear what your final breakdown was?

Did you make any money on this break?
Yes, I updated the original post back on the 19th.

The gross value coming out of my 7 cases was an average of 2K per case.

Sales Results:

Just about everything is sold as of 08/19/2013. Sales results are:

Product - 2012-13 National Treasures NBA
Gross Sales* - $14,024.77
Number of Auctions - 113

* Gross sales is the total value coming out of the cases I opened. It does NOT include cost of eBay/PayPal fees, shipping costs, time spent, or any other costs. It simply measures the total amount of money generated from the sale of the cards from this break.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

nice job on your sales. when you come out on top, do you continue to buy cases of the same product or do you keep moving on to the next newest product? i'm just curious and i find your breakdowns of each product very interesting! something i'd want to try and not try at the same time haha
fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
nice job on your sales. when you come out on top, do you continue to buy cases of the same product or do you keep moving on to the next newest product? i'm just curious and i find your breakdowns of each product very interesting! something i'd want to try and not try at the same time haha
I keep moving onto the next product. Panini releases about 1 product every 2-3 weeks. I try to open everything they make, multiple cases.

Keep in mind, this is a business for me. I'm not a normal collector. So my behavior may be unusual. The 14K gross sales look nice. But if you are a collector who's buying cases at 1.8K each, that's 12.6K. Fees, shipping costs, time spent, all those costs cut into the 14K gross profit, at least 15%. 14K minus 15% is 11.9K. So if you bought 7 cases at 1.8K (12.6K), you'd still be at a loss of $500. (12.6K - 11.9K)

But then again, someone is getting that 15%, eBay, USPS, etc. It's not necessarily up to Panini to make sure all that gross sales goes to the collector. Would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #45 (permalink)

As per usual, another incredible review/assessment....
JDF5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
I keep moving onto the next product. Panini releases about 1 product every 2-3 weeks. I try to open everything they make, multiple cases.

Keep in mind, this is a business for me. I'm not a normal collector. So my behavior may be unusual. The 14K gross sales look nice. But if you are a collector who's buying cases at 1.8K each, that's 12.6K. Fees, shipping costs, time spent, all those costs cut into the 14K gross profit, at least 15%. 14K minus 15% is 11.9K. So if you bought 7 cases at 1.8K (12.6K), you'd still be at a loss of $500. (12.6K - 11.9K)

But then again, someone is getting that 15%, eBay, USPS, etc. It's not necessarily up to Panini to make sure all that gross sales goes to the collector. Would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't.
I always enjoy reading your write-ups, Alex. They are very informative. As I see you break so much, don't you get your cases at a discount? I purchased my cases @1350 per, and I'm sure others found deals like that as well. I hope your source doesn't make you pay full retail for the quantity you purchase!
obzezzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzezzed View Post
I always enjoy reading your write-ups, Alex. They are very informative. As I see you break so much, don't you get your cases at a discount? I purchased my cases @1350 per, and I'm sure others found deals like that as well. I hope your source doesn't make you pay full retail for the quantity you purchase!
I don't pay retail, I buy from a distributor. I have a registered sole proprietorship business in the state of Illinois, and I'm registered as a Panini case breaker. That allows me to buy from distributors.

But I don't like to talk about my suppliers because, well, Blowout Cards is the only place on the planet to buy boxes/cases/supplies. Blowout Cards rocks. I've bought from them many times. I still buy stuff from them. This forum is an amazing resource. Blowout Cards provides this resource for free!

Blowout Cards is notin' but net, baby!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

Great break man!
bballcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
but when you see something like Elite Series at that price, don't you say to yourself....hmmmm maybe i'll skip that release?

i mean i'm glad someone does it so we can see how it breaks down but some just seem too risky. anyway keep up the good work!
fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #50 (permalink)

Looks you came out ahead - congratulations.

Are you busting Elite Series also? There seem to be zero rips of that on the forum. National Treasures hangover perhaps.
I collect Joe Johnson - 1,863 different cards, 280 1/1's. Also putting together rookie year collections of: Ray Allen, Ron Artest, Vince Carter, Patrick Peterson, Kerry Rhodes, Charles Woodson and Yao Ming. If you have any rare ones, please let me know.
kingofsnake is offline   Reply With Quote