Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS

BASKETBALL BOX BREAKS Post your BASKETBALL Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
but when you see something like Elite Series at that price, don't you say to yourself....hmmmm maybe i'll skip that release?

i mean i'm glad someone does it so we can see how it breaks down but some just seem too risky. anyway keep up the good work!
It is a business strategy. And yes, it is a risky one. But my goal is to develop a rock solid consistency on eBay. There are many collectors on eBay who buy cards *from every product*. Or, there are some collectors who only buy low end sets/lots. My goal is to open all Panini NBA products in an effort to provide all kinds of NBA card collectors an option to purchase from me. I also hope they enjoy the transaction and then think to come back to my eBay store for the next release. I buy all Panini NBA products in an effort to build that consistency.

Another issue is allocations. Many manufactures like Panini will only sell a certain number of really popular cases (like NT) to a distributor. The number of popular cases a distributor can buy is a ratio of how many previous (unpopular) cases they've already purchased. Distributors then pass on this allocation ration to their buyers. So when I buy 7 NT cases, I'm only allowed to buy that many because I've purchased many dozens of cases of previous products that were less successful.

There are successful products other than NT. Prizm was a huge success. Getting a true "chrome" type card back into the basketball market was like a cool glass of lemonade on a hot summer day: it hit the freaking spot. Select was also quite good, although not as much so as Prizm. But then there are many products that just are duds. Either it's a poor idea, or it's decent cards but just a totally over-saturated market.

One could talk about this for hours. I better stop here...

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 08-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsnake View Post
Looks you came out ahead - congratulations.

Are you busting Elite Series also? There seem to be zero rips of that on the forum. National Treasures hangover perhaps.
Yep, I busted 2 cases of Elite Series. Going to take a hit on this one. $180/box retail? $2700/case retail? Yikes!!!!! But still, there are buyers on eBay snatching up what auctions do exist of this stuff. There are always buyers looking to snatch up auctions at cheap prices in an effort to resell at a latter date.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Great writeup Alex

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Great writeup Alex
Thanks man. I read all your post I come across and value your opinion a ton.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #55 (permalink)

Awesome write up...I bought the Kareem and Kobe and got them today. Beautiful cards!

I collect Pitt Panthers
quaziemoto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaziemoto3 View Post
Awesome write up...I bought the Kareem and Kobe and got them today. Beautiful cards!
Very glad you are happy. I do recognize your eBay ID. I appreciate your repeat business very much!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #57 (permalink)

Not sure why it took me so long to find you on ebay....
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #58 (permalink)

i didnt really know about the official business aspect about your case breakings. so in general are you losing money overall for each year you've had this setup so for your taxes you can actually lower your total taxable income, or are you making a tiny profit so it wont add much to your taxable income? i dont wanna get too complicated here with the aspect of paying taxes but buying at the distributor cost, i dunno if that exactly evens out or what. i actually dont even know if you owe on taxes for the teaching job, i guess i assumed you did owe some amount.

i just was thinking in general if youve done this method for a few years and have lost money every year & accounting for the massive amount of time it takes to list & ship, if you still like doing it or wanna continue doing it. i just cant even imagine how long it takes to do the scanning/listing/shipping, i know i wouldnt spend that much time even if i made $10k per year from it all.

& also are you just buying a few cases of every single product regardless of its price or how it looks, because i dont think i could stomach buying any of the new elite at $180 a box or whatever you paid unless it was drastically lower than that.
inopethflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #59 (permalink)

is that cater logoman for sale lmk
Quote:
babymanning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #60 (permalink)

Do you have a recap of your Elite Series break?
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #61 (permalink)

babymanning1, Vince Logoman 2/3 is already sold, paid for and shipped. Sweet logo cards though!

inopethflames, I won't discuss my business's financial/tax status on this forum. I post breaks for informational purposes only, in the hopes someone (collectors, group breakers, etc.) might gain something from it. I try to make my posts about the cards. Not about my business.

ajscards101, I did open 2 cases of Elite Status. Nice cards. But it's no secret, the pre-sell retail price of $180/box is a tough cookie to swallow. I will try to make a post with some scans later this week. But I'm super busy, may not have time.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #62 (permalink)

I'd love to trade for the Larry Bird for my son if interested, please PM me
Photobucket: http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/PittsburghBoxBreaks/
Hagaman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #63 (permalink)

has the kyrie 1/1 been pulled yet?
kidlou is offline   Reply With Quote