Blowout Cards Forums
2017 April Shower

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play a game this year. Not saying he won't but - There were rumblings early after his injury that his agents didn't want him to burn his rookie eligibility so that he would still qualify for rookie of the year next season.
I remember that as well. Hell, if I were the 76ers I wouldn't want him coming back this season. At best they get to see him play sooner and they still don't compete for a playoff spot. At worst he comes back too soon and re-injures himself. They've had enough bad luck with Embiid and Noel injuries. Let Simmons heal completely, continue to work on his game with the team in practices and whatnot, then debut next season and be completely sure he's ready to be what they hope he's going to be.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play a game this year. Not saying he won't but - There were rumblings early after his injury that his agents didn't want him to burn his rookie eligibility so that he would still qualify for rookie of the year next season.
I would lean towards this happening also.

2 things that could happen.

- An injury
- Philly win a few more games and ruin their chance at another top 3 pick.

I really hope he plays. But I think it will be next season.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
him and embiid together are going to be special.
Yep. He's an elite passer, ballhandler, and defender.

Shooting will come in time, LBJ couldn't shoot from the outside either as a rookie [altho still better than Ben I bet.]

Nobody but the stupid Cavs thought Bennett was a #1 pick, lol. Everyone thought Simmons was a lock for the #1 pick for 2 years.

I wouldn't play him until the final month and then limited minutes obviously.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiamigo View Post
Yep. He's an elite passer, ballhandler, and defender.
I'll agree with you on the first two. Not sure he's going to be an elite defender at this level. He's no longer a man against boys. Not saying he's going to be a bad defender by any means. But i don't think he's going to be all-defence either.

The biggest concern that i still have though is his shooting. If he can't hit the outside shot (even his mid range is wanting) teams are just going to slack off him and play the pass and drive. I feel like he can improve his shot though and hope he's been working on it during his time out.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:07 AM   #30 (permalink)

Would be pointless to push him to play this year, but very excited to see him, embiid, and who ever they draft this yr all together
Courtney Lee
bbplaya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil34 View Post
i think Simmons is an upgrade version of Larry Odom with better ball handling and court vision. or an downgrade version of Lebron James.
I like this comparison. I think he's closer to Odom than LeBron, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Odom wasted his talent with lazy play. If Simmons has better ethic he'll be awesome.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Odom isn't a horrible comparison.

He was a helluva difference maker on those Laker teams and I liked what he did with LAC and MIA even. Odom had a better shot from day 1, but Simmons looks to have much better court vision.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll agree with you on the first two. Not sure he's going to be an elite defender at this level. He's no longer a man against boys. Not saying he's going to be a bad defender by any means. But i don't think he's going to be all-defence either.

The biggest concern that i still have though is his shooting. If he can't hit the outside shot (even his mid range is wanting) teams are just going to slack off him and play the pass and drive. I feel like he can improve his shot though and hope he's been working on it during his time out.
Fair.

He *will* be an elite defender, but perhaps not on Day One.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Here's a snippett of an article I read about Simmons. After Andrew Bogut (2005) and Kyrie Irving (2011), Simmons became only the third Aussie born player to be drafted No. 1 overall in the NBA when the Sixers chose him ahead of Duke's Brandon Ingram last June. Many analysts have compared Simmons to legendary names such as LeBron James and Magic Johnson.

This kid is going to be the next superstar. I don't think Lamar Odom was ever compared to Magic Johnson.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
Wiggins 2.0
Lol, whaaa?
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Here's a snippett of an article I read about Simmons. After Andrew Bogut (2005) and Kyrie Irving (2011), Simmons became only the third Aussie born player to be drafted No. 1 overall in the NBA when the Sixers chose him ahead of Duke's Brandon Ingram last June. Many analysts have compared Simmons to legendary names such as LeBron James and Magic Johnson.

This kid is going to be the next superstar. I don't think Lamar Odom was ever compared to Magic Johnson.
Do you know how many next Jordan, Kobe, Hakeem, Robinson there has been?

I personally think he looks great but there is so much work to do.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzluvr1 View Post
Lol, whaaa?
Haha, I know right. Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Michael Beasley...I really question whether some people on this forum watch basketball.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Haha, I know right. Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Michael Beasley...I really question whether some people on this forum watch basketball.
Probably the same people on the forum that we're calling Embiid the next Kwame Brown.
jnmcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post

And guess what? They each have a championship ring!

The Trifecta of Simmons, Embiid, and whoever they draft (a good spot up shooter), can do some serious damage in a few years (2020?) The main thing Simmons has to work on is his shooting and his drive (mentality). Perhaps working with Lebron during the off seasons would do wonders for this kid. However, with that said, if he doesn't put in the work and mature, he will not be as good as people think.

With that said, lets hope he becomes a great player.
OGCNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #40 (permalink)

People holding his refractors are holding their breath lol
Rareairx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

He's going to definitely struggle. He was very gun shy in college so I can only imagine in the pro's coming off a bad injury.
Gio47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #42 (permalink)

He didn't have a bad injury. Plus he's not getting rushed back, Philly aren't stupid. He'll most likely sit the year out to be safe.

And someone mentioned he should train with LeBron, which I think he does.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Jin

He's already ahead of the curve because he has all the tools in the world to be a good player. What separates the good from the great however is 100% work ethic, and that is impossible to determine from our side of the game
Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Watching him at LSU, he has the best court vision I think I've ever seen- up there with Magic, LeBron, and Jason Williams. Great basketball instincts as well. Plays with a calmness. His 6'10" frame combined with his length gives him the ability to be a lock down defender...If he wants to be. He's what Kyle Anderson rubs off to at night.

As has been said though, he needs to work on his mid-range and 3-point shots.

They will likely bring him along much like Embiid with slightly less caution I would say. By start of next season, the entire process should be a full go. Need to grab an elite shooter in the upcoming draft where they will likely have a high pick.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #45 (permalink)

its all hype, talk and speculation on his future. Untill he steps on court and produces, its just that... talk!

Some guys dont transition into the NBA well. I dont consider him a generational player either. I wanted Wiggins to be pan out as he was touted as a generational player. I dont think he'll live up to that as I think its too late.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #46 (permalink)

Been a while since I checked sell prices on Ebay for this cards - holy crap they're going nuts!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstess View Post
Been a while since I checked sell prices on Ebay for this cards - holy crap they're going nuts!
I just sold a prizm refractor and can confirm, still nuts. I figured I would sell it while his value was still hot. Like a lot of people have said, who knows where he will end up once he actually starts playing
ketchupman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #48 (permalink)

has he been improving his shot? because it's god-awful. He's quick for his size but that's not gonna matter as much in the NBA where everyone is strong and quick. Best case scenario is that he starts out as a year-2 Giannis, and maybe Embiid draws enough defensive attention to give him a chance to score.
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookies View Post
Have you ever seen wiggins pass a basketball? You know Simmons is a good passer right?
Wiggins is a good passer, He just passes to guys who can't shoot.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #50 (permalink)

I think people are gonna be very disappointment when they come to their senses. this is NUTS!

you have a guy in simmons coming off an injury that has NEVER played a nba game in his life, and his silver prizm refractors are selling for $160!!!

16-17 is not even that sp for silvers! 12-13,13-14 are VERY sp and 14-15 & 1516 are sp.

you have guys like lets take a look at this :

Draymond Green - nba champion, one of the best 2 way players in the game and a total machine on the court. his prizm silvers bring $45!!!

Kyrie Irving - defending nba champion, no need to say more about him and his stats. his prizm silvers bring $$90

Damian Lillard silver prizms bring like $80

Isaiah Thomas - who is lighting up the nba right now and is a top 3 mvp candidate his silver prizms have just started to bring $150.

Karl anthony towns silver prizms bring $100

devin booker who is having a great 2nd season silver prizms bring abut $80

Nikola Jokic who is looking like one of the best all around players in the nba his prizms are just starting to bring average $70

AND YOUR TELLING ME BEN SIMMONS A GUY THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED AN NBA GAME IN HIS LIFE IS SELLING FOR $160++????????????????

Let That Sink In...........

You can buy all of those players i just listed who are proven stars with tons of upside that have proven it now for 2 years or more for cheaper then a guy thathas never stepped foot on the court.

Some people are just nuts and there will be a lot of people that lose serious money on this guy mark my words.

When you can buy a Isaiah Thomas Prizm silver for $100-$150 or a Kyrie Irving for $90 but Ben simmons is bringing $160.....Something is wrong with that picture.

Im glad im one of the smart ones that buys guys that are cheap the 1st year and hope they pan out then buys guys that are extremely expensive every year that gradually decline year after year
If you're buying or holding him GOOD LUCK.

I dont think he ever plays on a level that will justify his values.
I dont see him being better then irving, lillard, green, thomas, booker, towns ior anyone i mentioned that you can buy for half or a quarter of his prices.
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote