Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

Here is my list:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Kevin Durant
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Pau Gasol
6. Dwight Howard
7. Carmelo Anthony
8. Deron Williams
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Chris Paul
11. Tim Duncan
12. Rajon Rondo
13. Amare Stoudamire
14. Derrick Rose
15. Chris Bosh
16. Brandon Roy
17. Monte Ellis
18. Tony Parker
19. Paul Pierce
20. Steve Nash
21. Gerald Wallace
22. Russel Westbrook
23. Manu Ginobili
24. Kevin Garnett
25. Kevin Martin

After going over the list a few times to make sure I didn't miss a player I agree with who ever said Gay isn't a top 25 player. Making this list is hard and even though a case can be made to shuffle some players around a spot or two I think I came pretty damn close.

Even though he is struggling a little I would not take Wade out of the top 5....matter of fact I would not change my top 10
NFL: Green Bay Packers
pico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

I wish stats and playing ability translated into value. Even though Rudy Gay is doing big things for my fantasy team, it takes more than nice, efficient stats to bump up a players value. Factors like hype, media attention, fan base and an exciting highlight reel type playing style can mean more than just putting up solid numbers.

While I disagree with a lot of Beckett pricing, Beckett deals with value not ability. Beckett not listing Rudy Gay more has to do with the fact that his non RC autos rarely fetch over a few bucks than anything. Even if Beckett priced his cards higher it wouldn't magically translate into increased SV, it would just make Beckett prices more inaccurate in relation to an items actual value (value = how much something can sell for, not some random $ book value based on absolutely nothing in the real world).

Last edited by fitch123; 11-28-2010 at 03:08 AM.
fitch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
This is more of a true indicator of a players value to a TEAM than any other stat in the NBA. We have been down this path year in and year out but the sheep want to live and die by ppg, dunks, and other meaningless stats.
PER is completely overrated. You do realise that Bill Russell's career PER was around about 19 (i.e. lower than Gerald Wallace's this season)? And before you say something dumb like "yeah, but that was in the 1960s", there were dozens of players in the 1960s with a higher PER than Bill Russell.

Point being? It's not a flawless measure of a player's worth.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Rings don't mean everything.
I Disagree with this statement right here....

Rings mean Everything. Plain and simple..its why these kids are playing the game lol - that and the millions of dollars

Sure they havent had much time to get the rings...but I'm just saying..rings are everything...hell Kobe is being compared to Jordan just because he has a good shot at matching up with Jordan's rings.....

Rings mean Everything.

Last edited by cblackiie; 11-28-2010 at 04:14 AM.
cblackiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackiie View Post
I Disagree with this statement right here....

Rings mean Everything. Plain and simple..its why these kids are playing the game lol - that and the millions of dollars

Sure they havent had much time to get the rings...but I'm just saying..rings are everything...hell Kobe is being compared to Jordan just because he has a good shot at matching up with Jordan's rings.....

Rings mean Everything.

Kobe was getting compared to Jordan way before he had a chance at matching him in rings.....hell even Vince Carter was being compared to Jordan and he never even had a chance at a ring.....

So what does Kobe and a young Vince have in common.....They can score in bunches in a very unique style that was only seen before in one person.....Jordan!

The value is in the swagger that players carries and only a very few players have been able to be not be high flyers and have high value.

Ever since Jordan we have wanted the next Jordan and now since Kobe has become the best player of this generation we will look for the next Kobe until 12 years from now we look for the next Durant.....on going saga....

Rings dont mean everything in a players value....but if said player has a nightly spot on Sports Center while getting those rings beckett will make the adjustments....lol!

Look at Shannon Brown....a few years ago he was added in a trade to the Lakers who really had no use for him....He begins to score in bunches in a very flashy manner while winning some rings and now his cards have a nice little value which is nice since before you couldn't give his cards away.
NFL: Green Bay Packers

Last edited by pico04; 11-28-2010 at 04:52 AM.
pico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

It's simple...the guy's resume so far is pretty unimpressive. Up to this point he has been a high volume scorer that gives little effort on the defensive side. Which in turn is why if you look at his career achievements you will find very little. He has played better this year so maybe he is reaching his potential but guys like him do not get a lot of hobby love.

Rudy Gay NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

Leaderboards, Awards, Honors ...... Not much there. He does not stand out in anything.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

If you followed Rudy's career through HS and college, the potential to be one of the best in the game was always there. However the desire to be one of the best was never there. If he had Kobe or MJ's competitive fire, it would be scary what the kid could do. He was the most frustrating player I have ever watched at UConn, you could see how easy the game was to him. He never had F YOU MODE, where he would take over a game. Basketball comes so naturally to a lot of these kids, that they just rely on their skill to float through games. I don't think Rudy will ever have the inner fire to want to be one of the best. He will just continue to show flashes, maybe getting out of Memphis would help him but I doubt it.
alldayyy73 is offline   Reply With Quote