Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
I'm sure there are many Rose haters out there, but most don't even watch his games. Am I biased, maybe a little, but Rose backs up my first slot on a nightly basis!!! Here's my choices of 1-5.

1. D Rose
2. R Westbrook
3. D Will
4. CP3
5. Nash...and 6th would be Rondo....he has too much talent around him, and not sure how he would perform without 3 HOF'ers
worst PG ranking i've seen on the boards
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
That is YOUR opinion......
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Let's see yours then
Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
I'm sure there are many Rose haters out there, but most don't even watch his games. Am I biased, maybe a little, but Rose backs up my first slot on a nightly basis!!! Here's my choices of 1-5.

1. D Rose
2. R Westbrook
3. D Will
4. CP3
5. Nash...and 6th would be Rondo....he has too much talent around him, and not sure how he would perform without 3 HOF'ers
Quote:

I think whiteboybill has got a good list and good order. Even though it would be hard for me to pick one and two just cause DRose and Westbrook are KILLING this year. Westbrook is a straight SAVAGE!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo675675 View Post
I think whiteboybill has got a good list and good order. Even though it would be hard for me to pick one and two just cause DRose and Westbrook are KILLING this year. Westbrook is a straight SAVAGE!
Thank you Gizmo!!!!! Appreciate it!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #31 (permalink)

Fat Lever.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Westbrook is not even worthy of me taking the time to compare. He isn't even a true point guard for that matter and his #'s reflect this.

The worst Assist to turnover ratio out of anyone in the conversation. CP3 almost doubles him up in this category.

Aren't point guards supposed to make the other players around them better. Simply not the case here. He takes 58% more shots a game then CP3, but only scores 41% more w/ respect to PPG. He is barely ahead of CP3 on rebounds and blocks...That is it and these two categories having nothing to do w/ PG expectations.

CP3 owns FG%, FT%, 3 pt%, steals, assists, turnovers.

He didn't even play PG in college.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
Westbrook is not even worthy of me taking the time to compare. He isn't even a true point guard for that matter and his #'s reflect this.

The worst Assist to turnover ratio out of anyone in the conversation. CP3 almost doubles him up in this category.

Aren't point guards supposed to make the other players around them better. Simply not the case here. He takes 58% more shots a game then CP3, but only scores 41% more w/ respect to PPG. He is barely ahead of CP3 on rebounds and blocks...That is it and these two categories having nothing to do w/ PG expectations.

He didn't even play PG in college.
You do understand that this is a new "AGE" in Basketball right? With all the hand checking rules and all. I see you like statistics well what about Westbrook's FT%? Why forget that? Go look and his then come back

I will save you the trouble her you go PER 36 MIN .443 FG%, .278 FROM 3s, .871 FT%,4.9 REB, 8.2 ASST, 2.0 STLS, 0.4 BLKS, 4.1 TO, 2.7 PF, 22.7 PTS

Last edited by gizmo675675; 12-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.
gizmo675675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

People should stop knocking Rondo for playing with too many good players. He plays with three studs who are all past their prime. He only gets discredited for playing with too much talent instead of being credited with making those guys so much better than they would be with an average PG. He is almost always the best player on the court, every once in a while its Pierce, but usually Rondo. He makes everyone on that team much better, makes everyone's job easier. They struggle so much when he is not on the court. The only knock on Rondo is his J and honestly its something that will always be missing from his game because of his hands. His J really hurts them in the playoffs but really isn't a factor during the regular season.

Not saying he's the best fwiw. And CP3 isn't a top 3 PG anymore. I would say he might not even be top 5 these days, his knee really hampers him.
alldayyy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

The PG position is difficult to judge because so many have not gone far in the post season as the leader. In the past, it was clear that Kidd was the best, then it became Nash as they lead their teams deep into the playoffs, both now well into their decline. That's why when you poll NBA experts or fans, Kobe still tops LeBron as the best player in the NBA. For today's upcoming PGs, we have to resort to stats as our only indicator on determining the best PG. So my choice would still have to be CP3 unless one of the other PGs posts better stats than him or lead their team to deep playoff runs.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
The PG position is difficult to judge because so many have not gone far in the post season as the leader. In the past, it was clear that Kidd was the best, then it became Nash as they lead their teams deep into the playoffs, both now well into their decline. That's why when you poll NBA experts or fans, Kobe still tops LeBron as the best player in the NBA. For today's upcoming PGs, we have to resort to stats as our only indicator on determining the best PG. So my choice would still have to be CP3 unless one of the other PGs posts better stats than him or lead their team to deep playoff runs.
Uhh...Deron Williams has lead the Utah Jazz much farther in the Playoffs than CP3 multiple times. Last year he put up numbers in the Playoffs vs the Nuggets that no other PG has ever achieved in the history of the NBA other than Magic and Oscar.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
Rondo needs to quit getting bumped in the first round. If you have seen CP3 play this year you can tell he isn't the best pg in the L. Knee is fd up
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I will begin to chime in w/ comparisons as I see fit...comparison #1.

Deron v. CP3 this year.

FG% - CP3
3Pt% - CP3
FT% - CP3
Rebounds - CP3
Assists - CP3
Steals - CP3
Turnovers - CP3
Blocks - Deron (even though neither # is worthy of taking said category)
Points per game - Deron is @22.4, CP3 is at 16.1....HOWEVER....Deron takes 43% more shots then CP3 per game on average and only has 39% more w/ respect to PPG.

So, given we are talking about point guards, how can anyone...ANYONE argue w/ FACTS? The tally is 8-1 CP3...or if you want to give Deron the PPG(even though this is not the expectation of the PG) category then 7-2 still in favor of CP3.

It is not even close. And CP3 is tallying the better #'s on a team w/ far less talent and in less playing time.
in my opinion being on a team w/ less talent gives him the ability to go off...
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
in my opinion being on a team w/ less talent gives him the ability to go off...
CP3 never goes off...His high this season is just 25 points, and he has scored 20+ points just six times this season.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

imo watching basketball is a waste of time when you can just look up the stats to figure out who's the best player.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #41 (permalink)

Let me say this about rajon rondo in about 5 years when the big 3 leave we
will see how he really plays!Without superstars. Like Deron Williams and Derrick rose and CP3
Old 12-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #42 (permalink)

I don't think its hard to list the top 3 Point Guards in the NBA:

1. Deron Williams
2. Chris Paul
3. Derrick Rose

After that it gets pretty tough since there could be an argument made for a lot of guys but I think the top 3 are pretty obvious.....I think D. Rose will become a better PG than CP3 in the future but I fell that DWill will hold this crown for the next 3-4 years.
NFL: Green Bay Packers
pico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
If all variables in this equation were equal(ie weapons). CP3 period....... Not even close actually.

Why?....the answer is quite simple. Point guard's job is to create opportunities, play great defense....and make a clutch free throw.

CP3 leads all PG's in assist/TO ratio w/ the exception of Kidd.

CP3 leads the entire NBA in steals per game.

CP3 leads the entire NBA in FT%.

In addition, he still shoots close to 50% from the floor even though roughly 20% of his shots are from behing the 3 point line.

Four and a half boards per game just simply makes him a complete player. There are no other folks on the list that have the complete game like CP3.

There is noone else in the league that has these #'s.

Someone that knows his basketball , And Rick what happen to DWill last time he met Cp3 He got OWNED, and so did Utah

Allround you are correct Cp3 is leading on most attributes but you have to remember alot of people base their opinions only on scoring or assist ability , to alot of people defense/steals and rebounding does not account for skill LOL

Last edited by nissandriver77; 12-24-2010 at 02:28 AM.
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandriver77 View Post
Rick what happen to DWill last time he met Cp3 He got OWNED, and so did Utah
I was waiting for someone to go there and they actually did...Haha

Ok, so let's talk Deron Williams vs Chris Paul.....

First off, let's take this all the way back to their college days when #1 Wake Forest faced #3 Illinois for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. What happens? Illinois upsets the top team in the nation by 18 points, but it wasn't even that close of a game as Illinois was up by 30 nearly the entire second half. What do the CP3 led Wake Forest Demon Deacons do that year in the NCAA Tournament as the #2 seed? They get upset in the 2nd Round by West Virgina. Meanwhile, Deron leads the #1 ranked Illini all the way to the National Championship game only to lose to a UNC team loaded with 3 NBA Lottery Picks.

In the NBA, Deron leads the head to head matchup 12 to 4 (Deron 12 wins). One thing is for sure, Deron owns the head to head matchup against CP3.

Now, let's take a look at what happens when each of these guys take their teams to the Playoffs. In Deron's second season he led the Utah Jazz to the Western Conference Finals averaging 26 PPG 8 APG while being guarded by the NBA's best on ball defender at the time, Bruce Bowen. Chris Paul has never even gotten his past the second round of the Playoffs.

Let's see what Chris Paul did last time he made it to the Playoffs. It was 2009vs the Denver Nuggets. Chris Paul averaged 16 PPG 10 APG and they lost to the Nuggets 4 games to 1. In Game 4 of that series on their homecourt the Hornets got beat 121-63. Thats the biggest point differential in NBA playoff history. Chris Paul had 4 Pts, 6 Asts, and 6 TO's in that game. What a leader.

The very next year against that same Denver Nuggets team, Deron Williams averaged 27 PPG, 12 APG, Shooting over 50% from the field and the 3 Pt line during that entire series. In that series he had 4 straight 20+ Pts, 10+ Asts games. The last person to do that was Magic Johnson in 1989. In Game 2 of that series Deron had 32+ Pts and 12+ Asts in a Win on the opposing team's court. The last person to do that was Oscar Robertson in 1949. By the way, the Jazz won that series 4 games to 2 and they were without Okur and Kirilenko throughout the series.

Deron has taken the Utah Jazz to the postseason every year of his career except for his rookie season. That's 4 consecutive seasons that he has led to his team to the Playoffs. Chris Paul, on the hand, has only been to the postseason 2 times in his career.

Deron has 20 career playoff wins under his belt. Meanwhile, Chris Paul only has 8 career playoff wins.

So as you can clearly see, Deron elevates his game come Playoff time when it counts the most. Averaging 21 PPG, 10 APG in his Playoff career. He shoots 40% from 3 Pt line (76 of 189) in the Playoffs. Chris Paul shoots 27% from the 3 Pt line in the Playoffs.

Yes, the Hornets won the last time they played the Jazz this season but it wasn't like Deron was extremely outplayed by Paul. They both had so-so games. Deron w/ 10 pts 5 asts, and CP3 w/ 11 pts 10 asts.

What happened the other time they played this season? Jazz won big. Deron went for 26 pts 11 asts 5 steals, and CP3 had 17 pts 9 asts 5 steals.

Deron is having a great season thus far and is a MVP canidate putting up 22 PPG and 10 APG while carrying the Jazz to 1st place in the Northwest Division. Where are CP3's Hornets after that 11-1 start? Well, they are 6-11 since then, which is 3rd place in their own division and they are dropping fast in the Western Conference standings.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Dee Brown lead that Illini team.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post

First off, let's take this all the way back to their college days when #1 Wake Forest faced #3 Illinois for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. What happens? Illinois upsets the top team in the nation by 18 points, but it wasn't even that close of a game as Illinois was up by 30 nearly the entire second half. What do the CP3 led Wake Forest Demon Deacons do that year in the NCAA Tournament as the #2 seed? They get upset in the 2nd Round by West Virgina. Meanwhile, Deron leads the #1 ranked Illini all the way to the National Championship game only to lose to a UNC team loaded with 3 NBA Lottery Picks.

In the NBA, Deron leads the head to head matchup 12 to 4 (Deron 12 wins). One thing is for sure, Deron owns the head to head matchup against CP3.

Now, let's take a look at what happens when each of these guys take their teams to the Playoffs. In Deron's second season he led the Utah Jazz to the Western Conference Finals averaging 26 PPG 8 APG while being guarded by the NBA's best on ball defender at the time, Bruce Bowen. Chris Paul has never even gotten his past the second round of the Playoffs.

Let's see what Chris Paul did last time he made it to the Playoffs. It was 2009vs the Denver Nuggets. Chris Paul averaged 16 PPG 10 APG and they lost to the Nuggets 4 games to 1. In Game 4 of that series on their homecourt the Hornets got beat 121-63. Thats the biggest point differential in NBA playoff history. Chris Paul had 4 Pts, 6 Asts, and 6 TO's in that game. What a leader.

The very next year against that same Denver Nuggets team, Deron Williams averaged 27 PPG, 12 APG, Shooting over 50% from the field and the 3 Pt line during that entire series. In that series he had 4 straight 20+ Pts, 10+ Asts games. The last person to do that was Magic Johnson in 1989. In Game 2 of that series Deron had 32+ Pts and 12+ Asts in a Win on the opposing team's court. The last person to do that was Oscar Robertson in 1949. By the way, the Jazz won that series 4 games to 2 and they were without Okur and Kirilenko throughout the series.

Deron has taken the Utah Jazz to the postseason every year of his career except for his rookie season. That's 4 consecutive seasons that he has led to his team to the Playoffs. Chris Paul, on the hand, has only been to the postseason 2 times in his career.

Deron has 20 career playoff wins under his belt. Meanwhile, Chris Paul only has 8 career playoff wins.

So as you can clearly see, Deron elevates his game come Playoff time when it counts the most. Averaging 21 PPG, 10 APG in his Playoff career. He shoots 40% from 3 Pt line (76 of 189) in the Playoffs. Chris Paul shoots 27% from the 3 Pt line in the Playoffs.

Yes, the Hornets won the last time they played the Jazz this season but it wasn't like Deron was extremely outplayed by Paul. They both had so-so games. Deron w/ 10 pts 5 asts, and CP3 w/ 11 pts 10 asts.

What happened the other time they played this season? Jazz won big. Deron went for 26 pts 11 asts 5 steals, and CP3 had 17 pts 9 asts 5 steals.

Deron is having a great season thus far and is a MVP canidate putting up 22 PPG and 10 APG while carrying the Jazz to 1st place in the Northwest Division. Where are CP3's Hornets after that 11-1 start? Well, they are 6-11 since then, which is 3rd place in their own division and they are dropping fast in the Western Conference standings.
Haha....I wanted to say all that but I did not want to type it out
NFL: Green Bay Packers
pico04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayyy73 View Post
Dee Brown lead that Illini team.
During the regular season you could argue that they were led by Dee, Deron, and Luther, but during the NCAA Tournament Deron took over. The 22 Pt, 10 Ast game for Deron vs Arizona was just unreal. He led the 15 pt rally with 4 minutes left hitting crucial 3's down the stretch and in OT. His NBA Draft stock took off with his play throughout the tourney. Went from a mid first rounder to a top 3 pick.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico04 View Post
Haha....I wanted to say all that but I did not want to type it out
LOL...I gotta admit. I didn't want to type it all out either, but I just started typing and soon enough I had a novel going
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandriver77 View Post
Someone that knows his basketball , And Rick what happen to DWill last time he met Cp3 He got OWNED, and so did Utah

Allround you are correct Cp3 is leading on most attributes but you have to remember alot of people base their opinions only on scoring or assist ability , to alot of people defense/steals and rebounding does not account for skill LOL
He knows his basketball because he can google stat sheets?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post

So u attribute the hornets drop off due to CP3 ? Maybe the trade had something to do with it ? Maybe other variables maybe ?

So u are saying DWill is better allround or just offensively that was my point , Chris is shorter aswell and has more boards for a 6ft PG than a taller DWill.
nissandriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote