Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default $250?? Really??

97-98 SP Authentic Michael Jordan Auto redemption MJ - eBay (item 310295091669 end time Feb-17-11 09:09:43 PST)

I get the thinking of winning it and then calling UD claiming you just pulled it from a pack, but that's one expensive gamble to hope they honor it and send a MJ as a replacement
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

IT STILL IS AN ULTRA RARE CARD & WOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO ANYONE COLLECTING (Referring to the ACTUAL redemption card)

What a joke.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sure some of the bidders are thinking that, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more bidders are willing to pay that much (or more) and have no desire to try and get it redeemed at all. Its still one tough insert featuring Michael Jordan from the mid to late 90's, featuring MJ's picture (not a generic trade card), and with a majority of these probably out of circulation due to getting redeemed, there may only be a handful of these trade cards left in existence. I wouldn't be shocked to see the price climb another $100 or so before the end.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
IT STILL IS AN ULTRA RARE CARD & WOULD MAKE A GREAT ADDITION TO ANYONE COLLECTING (Referring to the ACTUAL redemption card)

What a joke.
Not a joke at all. Thats exactly what that is.

Seems like you guys would have caught onto the fact that Rare 90's Jordan cards sell for huge premiums by now. Seems like everytime one pops up someone is losing their mind over the price of it. This may be a unique circumstance, but I've known a couple Jordan collectors in the past that would easily pay $100-$200 to add this to their collection... and they nowhere near represent the Jordan collectors with the deepest pockets on ebay.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post

Seems like you guys would have caught onto the fact that Rare 90's Jordan cards sell for huge premiums by now. Seems like everytime one pops up someone is losing their mind over the price of it. This may be a unique circumstance, but I've known a couple Jordan collectors in the past that would easily pay $100-$200 to add this to their collection... and they nowhere near represent the Jordan collectors with the deepest pockets on ebay.
Oh I get all the 90's MJ hype. I've made my fair share of $$ off of it. I'm just wondering how much of it is the 90's MJ hype,or if someone is taking a gamble on getting a MJ from UD for this
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post

Nah. I just know I got a bunch of Jordan "inserts" growing up in the 90's and none of them are worth anything. Guess I wasn't getting the right products for Christmas...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jordan parallels like the Z-Force Rave, Ultra Platinum Medallions, Flair Legacys etc all bring in the $500-$800 range and those all have print runs of around 100-150. His Super Rave with a print run of 25 brought over $1000.

So considering there were probably at most 100-150 of these redemptions that existed (and thats probably being generous), and the majority of them got redeemed, there may be as few as a dozen and probably no more than about 50 of these that still exist.

So knowing it has that kind of limited print run, and knowing what Jordan collectors are willing to pay for his rare stuff, I could easily see this one going in the $200-$300 range. Less desirable than the serial numbered parallels, but at a steep discount to those for the same level of rarity.

Like Gman said, I could see some of the bidders taking a gamble on getting it redeemed too (after all, the auto is a $1000+ sell value card) but I think the bidders that remain are likely just Jordan collectors that want to add this to their collection. But in either case, it just adds more potential bidders to the situation. Its definitely an oddity, but I'm not all that surprised by it and the seller shouldn't have to take crap for marketing the card honestly.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ended at $473,impressive!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Ended at $473,impressive!
very impressive

Checkout my Bucket!
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/jeslan89/
jeslan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

i generally rate how smart the price is by the number of feedback of the bidders...when you see someone with thousands of feedback, they have more experience and are less likely to chase a bad deal...

22 feedback driving up the price here = not a good value
caustexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

a 90s jordan insert card, that may only have 10 in existence?
fairly nice looking card...
that 473 bucks dosent suprise me at all..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caustexx View Post
i generally rate how smart the price is by the number of feedback of the bidders...when you see someone with thousands of feedback, they have more experience and are less likely to chase a bad deal...

22 feedback driving up the price here = not a good value
That is a terrible system for deciding wether it is a smart price or not. A smart price is whatever someone is willing to pay for an item. In this case that was 473. And we may never see another one. I am actually a tad surprised it didn't get over 500. Rather iconic card actually.

Giants, World Champs!
cj52racers is offline   Reply With Quote