Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Collecting in General

I was out mowing the grass today and thinking about card collecting and how I could find the next few cards I am looking for....

Then I realized, I spend way too much time thinking about the "next" card and not enough time appreciating the collections I have put together.

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes I guess it's just one of those bad traits we have to stop and put in check from time to time. It goes with anything, not just cards, people always want more and more and take what they have for granted.
n1nesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrob8178 View Post
I was out mowing the grass today and thinking about card collecting and how I could find the next few cards I am looking for....

Then I realized, I spend way too much time thinking about the "next" card and not enough time appreciating the collections I have put together.

Sort of.

Sometimes I spend a lot of time thinking about which cards to buy next. However, every day or two, I sit and go through my entire collection. My girlfriend thinks I'm mad. But like I tell her, surely it's a good thing that I actually look at the cards I've invested so much money in? Rather than hiding them away in a box in the cupboard.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

my collection always changes the way I store it to what i sell I am trying to build a nice pc though and still making a few bucks
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm the total opposite....I'm always thinking how can I unload my collection, then I end up buying more cards!........I seriously need to get a grip and take some time out to part ways with most of mine, then I might have that problem of thinking about my next buy!
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have mine displayed in a four tiered glass case and change up how it looks from time to time.. every now and then i'll go through and look at them spread them out on a table
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use to have all my cards displayed out in a bookcase, but eventually decided they'd be safer in magnetics and stored in a cardboard box stuffed into the closet. Just finished scanning all my PC cards and now every so often I just admire them all spread out as thumbnails on my Mac
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

I do, sadly. It s kinda sad, we re grown up and still think like kids
This goes way back to 1993-94, the first time I start collecting BK cards
I stopped in 1997 ish and started back the last 3-4 yrs , yes I do missed a lot of time in between
Are we all "addicts" ?
It is fun but getting more and more expensive now

I remember way back when, when you re just so happy to get a Jason Kidd RC or Kobe Bryant RC (which was still affordable then)
other than Topps Finest, most boxes cost less then $50

THankfully now, since PAnini took over, I lost interest in opening new boxes...
I miss Upper Deck and Topps
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
I do, sadly. It s kinda sad, we re grown up and still think like kids
This goes way back to 1993-94, the first time I start collecting BK cards
I stopped in 1997 ish and started back the last 3-4 yrs , yes I do missed a lot of time in between
Are we all "addicts" ?
It is fun but getting more and more expensive now

I remember way back when, when you re just so happy to get a Jason Kidd RC or Kobe Bryant RC (which was still affordable then)
other than Topps Finest, most boxes cost less then $50

THankfully now, since PAnini took over, I lost interest in opening new boxes...
I miss Upper Deck and Topps

Man.. i think alot of us have the same theme. I first collected during the shaq rookie era and stopped 3-4 years as life went on with college etc. NOw im back in the hobby and actually able to afford some of these high end stuff. I think they should definitely bring back the lower end products as kids these days arent going to be able to break a few packs unless they spend their month's allowance lol. I know i wouldnt have been in the hobby again should i never collected as a kid. Its one of those things rarely we start as an adult.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

my pc's are in shoeboxes in my closet & i spend about 99% looking for the missing pieces & about 1% enjoying what i already have

i havent had much to chase recently so ive been thinking about starting a new pc to get that adrenalin rush of chasing new stuff but im trying to hold back... lol im finding myself with more $ in the bank acct & kinda liking it... but boy i do miss that rush
eddiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

The chase is always better then the catch !!! Its part of anything that you collect.You are always looking for the great white whale !!!

Kent
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

yes 100% yes to the OP! i think that's human nature.. esp with card collecting, there's always another card you would want, but i think personally the longer i've been in the hobby, the more i am slowing down (i think...)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've got a great D Rose collection, and always looking to get more. I keep all of my high end in safes, and go through them once a week to look in on my PC stuff, and possibly sell any doubles I might have if the pricing has skyrocketed.
It really sucks, because right now D Rose is selling so high...I'd like to sell off a few things, but am literally running out of duplicates. I don't want to get rid of anything I only have ONE of, but it may be a long time before his values soar like they have the past few months......
Not only do I have a decent collection of cards, I also have many IP autos on jerseys, balls, shoes, 16x20's, etc.....
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Whiteboybill, does anyone need more than one or two autos of a single player? (Obviously player collectors will naturally say "yes"!) Because you could always sell maybe all but your favourite few items? That way you'd make a small fortune and still keep some amazing items?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

I go through my stuff at least once a day. I love looking at what i've been able to put together.

That being said, I do look forward to whats next. I'm always thinking about well what am I gonna do after I finally find that damn 09-10 Absolute Eric Maynor RPM with a 2 color ball swatch. Am I going to try and finish my 10-11 Threads Wood Auto set? Or will I go back and work on the all the allen & ginter mini sets that i'm so close to finishing? Or maybe its time to stock up on a player I think is going to explode soon?

But I think thats what makes the hobby fun. Theres so much to do.

-James
Always accepting consignments - Top Rated Seller - PM Me!
pastmyshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastmyshades View Post
Amen to that.

Just when you finish one collection, there's another one to start collecting just around the corner.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Whiteboybill, does anyone need more than one or two autos of a single player? (Obviously player collectors will naturally say "yes"!) Because you could always sell maybe all but your favourite few items? That way you'd make a small fortune and still keep some amazing items?
Does anyone NEED more than one or two autos of a single player?? Probably not, and I see your reasoning behind this. My problem is that UD put soooo many great products out, that I have difficulty deciding which are my favorites, so I keep them all. I have his Exquisite RAP which will naturally stay in my collection and never get sold, but with his Exquisite I have the Noble Namplates, and scripted swatch....like them both the same, so I keep them both. Same goes with SPA...by far one of my faves, and again can't seem to let it go.....since I can't choose between a handful of favorites, I keep many more than I actually need.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah

I love vintage B-Ball but I never ever look at them. They are stored away in boxes and toploaders and I'll I do is list and trade the newer stuff.

Maybe when I get old
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Card View Post
Yeah

I love vintage B-Ball but I never ever look at them. They are stored away in boxes and toploaders and I'll I do is list and trade the newer stuff.

Maybe when I get old
Huge premiums for these high grade vintage stuff. Trying to get my hand on them but seems like alot of ppl are as well. You know those shows where they raid storage spaces etc, would have been nice to find a chest or drawer full of these vintage cards lol
Old 04-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastmyshades View Post
I go through my stuff at least once a day. I love looking at what i've been able to put together.

That being said, I do look forward to whats next. I'm always thinking about well what am I gonna do after I finally find that damn 09-10 Absolute Eric Maynor RPM with a 2 color ball swatch. Am I going to try and finish my 10-11 Threads Wood Auto set? Or will I go back and work on the all the allen & ginter mini sets that i'm so close to finishing? Or maybe its time to stock up on a player I think is going to explode soon?

-James
maynor rpm is what's keeping you from finishing the set? i thought most of those were 2 colors... and there must be hundreds out there haha damn how bad you wanna complete the set?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheken View Post
Huge premiums for these high grade vintage stuff. Trying to get my hand on them but seems like alot of ppl are as well. You know those shows where they raid storage spaces etc, would have been nice to find a chest or drawer full of these vintage cards lol
I was watching that show the other day and they found some baseball cards from the late 80's and early 90's. Pretty worthless from what I have read online.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
maynor rpm is what's keeping you from finishing the set? i thought most of those were 2 colors... and there must be hundreds out there haha damn how bad you wanna complete the set?
Im going after the set with only 2 color ball swatches. There were a few guys in the set that just didnt seem to have many multicolor ball pieces. Daye, Blair, Maynor, Derozan, Budinger, and Harden are the five that come to mind.

Then there were guys that seemed to have a ton of 2 color swatches. Blake, Tyreke, Jennings, Collison, and Hill are on that end.

There is a Maynor RPM on ebay with a two color swatch but its not that nice and the guy wont accept a reasonable offer for it. Hes declined me at $10 for it twice..

Otherwise, Im all done except for the Patty Mills Spectrum Auto /249 but that i'll have no problem getting. They are all over ebay now that the redemption has been redeemed.

-James
Always accepting consignments - Top Rated Seller - PM Me!
pastmyshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I was watching that show the other day and they found some baseball cards from the late 80's and early 90's. Pretty worthless from what I have read online.
LOL most of the 80s especially 90s stuff are crap. Even for basketball most 70s/80s stuff are cheap except for the 86-87 set. The 50/60s stuff graded 9-10 will get you a nice down payment for a house
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

I gave up spending money on this hobby for lent and it definitely gave me a chance to take a breather and enjoy what I have already. I remember thinking "man, when I got a Jordan rookie card, my collection is made" then I get it and it's like what's next, there will always be a white whale to chase, but it's also fun to just take a moment and appreciate what you have!
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Good advice, Chris.

I had a similar experience this week. I bought a few individual cards for $100+ each recently which is an insane amount of money for someone on my salary, so I decided "enough is enough" and started to sell cards and put a ban on buying new cards. It's early days, but it's been quite enjoyable so far, and it's given me a new appreciation for the cards I already have (i.e. the ones I'm keeping).

In fact, sometimes I even get as much of a kick out of looking at cheap base cards as I do looking at my $100+ cards. So that's taught me that I can continue to collect cards... but just chase cheaper ones for a change.