Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default FLAMING MAD at Upperdeck - Semi Long Read

OK.

About 4 YEARS ago I put in a redemption for an Octograph from 2004/05 Ultimate Basketball numbered to /3.

Cards contained: Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Tracy McGrady, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler and Jason Kidd

AN AWESOME CARD to say the least. This was also the very first Octs that UD made in any set.

I waited VERY patiently for over three years, and was told they were only waiting on Kobe to resign with them, and then they would produce the card. They had told me the first year they had everyone but Magic, and as soon as he signed his batch, they'd produce the card. Well, Kobe started signing again, so I called to ask when they would make the card. They at that point said they weren't going to make it, because ISIAH wasn't signing for them anymore! I waited 3 years for the KOBE auto, and was lied to blatantly for 3 years.

So I said fine, let's take care of this and put it behind us. They put me in direct contact with the redemption department, and I spoke to a Jose or Juan........He gave me a LIST of cards, some VERY nice ones, and said to get back with him once I determined what I thought was a fair trade.

Well a few months go by, and I logged into the UD redemption site to check things. It said that my redemption had been SHIPPED!

So I called the customer service dept, and asked what they shipped. They said that they were in the process of fullfilling all past due redemptions, and that was a canned response in my status. I asked what they were shipping, and they said it wasn't taken care of yet.

I called back about 4 months ago, and asked what was going on. The Jack off on the phone said that they ad shipped it already, and If I had not received it, that I had to fill out a 'Claim Form' found on their site. Well, the claim form they pointed me to was for a USPS Insurance claim, and I KNOW they don't ship high end cards through USPS, so i disregarded it, and felt I would take care of this at another time.

Fast forward to yesterday

I called UD CS and asked what we needed to do to get this taken care of. I got Barry on the phone, who I spoke with about this card MANY times over the years. He had SUCH a pompous attitude, and told me they shipped the cards a year ago, and they couldn't do anything about it. I then explained everything I jsut wrote, and he said "OH, so you insisted on not filling out the claim form like we told you". I responded "It might have been ignorance on my part, but I did not INSIST opn not filling it out." I then explained that I was pointed to a USPS claim form, and I knew this wasn't a USPS issue. I then asked him for the tracking numbers, and he said "We don't keep that stuff for 1 year". He said to call him back next week and he'd see what they could do.

He was a complete DICK. I am SO THROUGH upperdeck it is not even funny. He was talking down to me, and I swear if he was in the same room as me, I would have kicked his ass.

Upperdeck is trying to completely SCREW me on this. I waited for 4 years, and this is how I get treated on a VERY nice card.

What's the problem? I ship stuff ALL of the time. If I needed to track something from 1 year ago, I COULD FLIPPIN DO IT! WTF is wrong with them?
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boo

First mistake, thinking that UD employees give a crap.

Second mistake, waiting 4 years. After 6 months you should have asked for replacements and got something good.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

What a horrible story. It's a shame that they treat people this way, but they have no accountability whatsoever, and some would argue that what they do as a business is what the RICO act is for, but that's one battle I don't have the time or money or knowledge to fight. Sounds like fun though! I do believe these guys know that they answer to nobody and can do pretty much whatever they want. As long as we keep buying thier stuff, they can continue to treat us this way.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wish you luck man, not to condone his attitude but I'm sure this guy hears the same stuff all day and probably gets tired of it, hence, is poor attitude.

I would say resolve this ASAP (stay on them everyday, if you have, time squeaky wheel theory)...didn't they make a Bird Magic card recently?? Sounds like a fair trade to me

BTW...I've never been to nationals but what of all the collectors/sellers/buyers got together stood in front of the UD booth. They could all where shorts with a list of redemption cards they've been screwed out of. I think that would be priceless and maybe stir something up!!

With all the message boards and screwed buyers out there it's something we could probably do...if enough were going to The National Show

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

At the time did they ever give you a tracking number? Even with an insurance number the item can be tracked if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

tell him to provide you proof that they sent it.

they might not keep tracking numbers for more than a year, but im almost certain the post office does.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
At the time did they ever give you a tracking number? Even with an insurance number the item can be tracked if I'm not mistaken.

They NEVER gave me tracking number, and I NEVER received an email from them stating the card(s) were shipped.

THEY NEVER SENT anything. I don't log into the redemptions site often at all, as I rarely do cards anymore. He was basically like "You wait this long to complain?"........Uh, DICKHEAD I waited 3 YEARS and almost gave up! CARDS ARE NOT MY LIFE, I DON'T check my redpention status everyday! He was almost acting like I neglected to do anything......I WAITED 3 YEARS, and at the very least I should be compensated with SOMETHING. Instead they are trying to rob me blind

I never once cocked an attitude with him (Barry), I was very cordial and to the point. He however, treated me like a second class citizen. I also let him know, that I WOULD seek legal actions on this - man it's nice to have a best friend that's an attorney. People talk a lot of chit about attorneys, but I am furious to have wasted 4 years on this #@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@.

Upperdeck will NEVER in any WAY SHAPE OR FORM get ANY of my money in the future. I am completely done with them.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
tell him to provide you proof that they sent it.

they might not keep tracking numbers for more than a year, but im almost certain the post office does.
I actually DID ask Barry for the proof of shipment, AND who signed for it -and he said "We don't keep records for over a year"......another blatant lie. I ALSO asked him what cards were sent to REPLACE mine, and he said, get this: THEY DON'T KEEP TRACK OF WHAT THEY SEND AS REPLACEMENTS. Which again, is COMPLETE Bullcrap. So everyone reading this, if they ever send you replacements, complain about them, and send them back a stack of Kloppensteins and Von Wafers and they'll NEVER know (according to Barry).....what BS

WHAT FLIPPIN BULLCRAP
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

UPPER DECK does not care about its customers. Very sad...but very true.

Collecting DREW STANTON auto's, patches, and low numbered cards!!! PM me!
swjedi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Big key you'll need it to see if you can find out what the redemption was worth when you entered it into their system. But I agree, this wasnt a low end redemption and would of been shipped insured, but would of still expected them to use Fedex and it would of been signature required. I personally would try and get a hold of Chris Carlins replacement (someone on here I'm sure will know who this is) and explain it to him and have him check into this. But I would get his name and ask specificially to talk to him given the run around you just had. Cut the fat, head for the meat. If Chris' replacement gives you the cold shoulder, I'd make one last written attempt and it being directed right at Mr. McMillian (I hope I'm right with this), who is their CEO. I have actally heard he gives a rats a$$ and can be very helpful. While I think he's out of touch with the company and the card market, he must be doing something right, since they're still employing some people at this point.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Big key you'll need it to see if you can find out what the redemption was worth when you entered it into their system. But I agree, this wasnt a low end redemption and would of been shipped insured, but would of still expected them to use Fedex and it would of been signature required. I personally would try and get a hold of Chris Carlins replacement (someone on here I'm sure will know who this is) and explain it to him and have him check into this. But I would get his name and ask specificially to talk to him given the run around you just had. Cut the fat, head for the meat. If Chris' replacement gives you the cold shoulder, I'd make one last written attempt and it being directed right at Mr. McMillian (I hope I'm right with this), who is their CEO. I have actally heard he gives a rats a$$ and can be very helpful. While I think he's out of touch with the company and the card market, he must be doing something right, since they're still employing some people at this point.
I have a RECIEPT for what I paid for the Redemption, which was $3000 AND a Chris Bosh Exquisite RC /99. I already had two of the other Octs in the set, and was trying to complete it - This was their first Octographs and was Lebrons 2nd year and he was on fire. I way overpaid for the card, but at least I have evidence on it.

I will try contacting Chris' replacement, and if I cannot get satisfaction, I will write Dick McMillan himself. If I do not get it there, then they will be receiving an official letter from my attorney.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had a replacement they said was shipped. I never received. It was for a $400+ card.
I only had to fax them a signed letter stating that I never received. They told me to fill out the form. When I ask about "why a UPS form?" they told me to fax a signed statement instead.

They then within a week put the original redemption back in my unredeemed file online.

Hope that helps
yountmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I have a RECIEPT for what I paid for the Redemption, which was $3000 AND a Chris Bosh Exquisite RC /99. I already had two of the other Octs in the set, and was trying to complete it - This was their first Octographs and was Lebrons 2nd year and he was on fire. I way overpaid for the card, but at least I have evidence on it.

I will try contacting Chris' replacement, and if I cannot get satisfaction, I will write Dick McMillan himself. If I do not get it there, then they will be receiving an official letter from my attorney.

So you bought the redemption? Wow.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Still much cheaper than buying box after box hoping to pull the Oct's!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Horrible story. ASk them what their policy is on shipping high end cards (USPS/UPS). They should have some sort of billing and tracking that they can go back with. We do a lot of shipping here and I can go back over 2 years no problems. Delivery confirmations, Tracking #'s, or bill of laddings are all there for them (they just need to stop being lazy). Tell him you need UD to provide proof of signature or delivery, and be very consistant with it.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Boo - Yeah I bought the redemption, which makes this even worse for me. I could have sold the Bosh I traded during the Exquisite Basketball Boom for about $2000, add in my $3000 cash, and I am down a probable $5000.

ILuv2Fish - Aint that the truth! Cases of 04/05 Ultimate were at about $1800 a piece when I bought it.

Zerokruel - I agree with you - they are just being lazy. And Barry adds insult to injury by lying and saying they don't keep that stuff for over a year........what a crock of #@#@#@#@

Last year I told them that I would take 2 cases of the current years 'The Cup' as an exchange, and they said that they didn't exchange product for redemptions. Which once again, is a lie. I know a few people that have received cases of cards in exchange for unfulfilled redemptions.

It's really the way Barry handled the situation. Kind of like, "WTF is wrong with you waiting 1 year?"......Dude, I've been waiting 4 years! It's like a broken record.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ask to speak to Lori Ortiz
kobemagee29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobemagee29 View Post
Ask to speak to Lori Ortiz
Ding Ding Ding. She personally called me several times about a redemption issue I had a while back. Just dug up one of her emails. She is Director of Sales and Customer Service.

BTW Barry is a ballbag. Never had a meaningful conversation with him in six tries.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
BNJ

I had the same problem with that guy Barry he is a moron. Last year they lost a exquistie patch auto #'d 1/1. They had no tracking # to it at all go figure how that happens. I am waiting now on some redemptions that I am pretty sure they lost within the past week. Barry told me that the redemption team is off this week and to get back with him next week. LOL....how do these people ship cards out without having a tracking # is beyond me
BNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Sounds like a similar story I had with Donruss. I sent in a Brandon Jacobs auto rookie platinum holofoil #'d 1/10 that was damaged and they sent back a schmuck #'d to 25 so I called and said no way you need to replace it $ for $. The card was unpriced due to scarcity. They said they would send a new card. 6 months later Maurice F***ing Clarrett. I have been arguing for 1 1/2 years. No resolve. Now I have a Chris Johnson auto jersey that was also damaged. I emailed them and explained past issues with replacements. I get we will replace $ for $. We know what we are doing most of our employees used to work for Beckett in their pricing dept. Oh yaaaay!!!!! What the hell is that supposed to mean to me. They have no clue either. Bottom line. In this Economy card companies should value the fact that we are willing to spend money on cardboard and provide us with customer service they would expect from the rest of the retail world.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Dang, I hope they dont screw up my SPx Clayton Kershaw AU RC.

I will be pissed if they do.

I hope you either get your card, get cards in equal value, or I hope you take legal action aganist them.
ChicagoCubsWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Yikes!! I got screwed over by UD one time as well. I guess they SORT of made up for it, but certainly not in anyway I would have liked. I had a Bill Mazeroski auto/jersey from Ultimate I believe it was...numbered to 25. Took them a few months if not a year to finally ship it out. (I probably could have found him locally and gotten him to sign it quicker...just go ask around Bill's Ribs probably...lol.)

Anyhow...they shipped it...I waited...and waited...well after about 3 weeks...I e-mailed and they told me they would look into it. A day later, they said they were sending a replacement...and I got a Scott Rolen auto/jersey instead and some e-card jersey or whatever. Blah!! I want my Mazeroski!!

Donruss meanwhile I have to give them a thumbs up (Sort of). I finally had to ask for replacements on cards that I haven't gotten...so they send me 2 lists to fill out to replace 2 of the cards...the rest they picked out a card to replace it. Got a DeSean Jackson auto #/24 to replace a Antonio Pittman auto/patch #/5 (Would have loved since I'm an OSU fan, but eh...) and two (Yes two) Eric Wright autos numbered to 100. (Oh woohoo!! </sarcasm>) But yeah...Donruss treated me fairly well on that. We'll see about my "silver signature series" cards that I had to choose from.

HOF Auto needs (276/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

I had to send back two damaged cards to UD this year one was a UD premier quinn/russell dual auto card/25, the other was a gold jared zabransky sp authentic auto /25, would be very tough to resell them in the current condition, at the time the brady quinn/ russell was selling for about $150, took them months to get back to me, they sent me my cards back and a pack of 2008 SPX, one freakin pack of cards, what a joke. tough to respect a company's customer service at that point. hopefully this gets sorted out for you and they do something. point them in the direction of this thread if nothing else.

Last edited by ricefan77; 12-31-2008 at 10:24 AM.
ricefan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lkk116

go to the BBB and file a complaint, I did that when they screwed me on a Jordan redemption that was pretty limited by sending me a common un numbered jordan auto. I filed my complaint with the BBB and got an immediate email and they sent me a bonus Lebron James auto

aim: tigereye2525
lkk116 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Horrible story. ASk them what their policy is on shipping high end cards (USPS/UPS). They should have some sort of billing and tracking that they can go back with. We do a lot of shipping here and I can go back over 2 years no problems. Delivery confirmations, Tracking #'s, or bill of laddings are all there for them (they just need to stop being lazy). Tell him you need UD to provide proof of signature or delivery, and be very consistant with it.
They always ship highend cards UPS or even Fed X I have received them that way and they do it by signature only to, not by delivery conformation. So dont let them tell you it was by mail unless at the beginning they were sending them by us mail, but i believe you said it was shipped several months ago so they should of sent it ups or fed x. Dont let up on them.
revil41 is offline   Reply With Quote