Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb How many of you collect HOF Autographs? Want to talk about HOF Autos... Come on in!!!

My lightbulb has been lit again

Hello!

I'm interested to see how many people collect Basketball HOF Autographs...

I started collecting HOF autos around 2005, about a week before George Mikan passed away. My first HOF autograph purchase was a George Mikan 2003-04 UD Legends Legendary Signatures, and paid about 51 bucks. At that point I wasn't really heavy into collecting and was actually complaining about the price I paid for the card. Around a week later, Mr. Basketball passes away... After that, I noticed that many people were listing Mikan autos on ebay, so I was able to win 2 Inscriptions/100 and 2 Greats All-American/46. From there my collection slowly grew... Slowly but surely I was picking up HOF autos. I only recently, around a year or so ago, started to slow down a lot! Until my recent purchase of the Andy Phillip 2005-06 Greats of the Game Great Cuts 1/1

I've been browsing around and came across this article which really got me interested in collecting this set again!

Basketball Hall of Fame Players Autographs Set: Highlighting Historic Hoops Heroes

Taken from the HOF website - HoopHall.com: Hall of Famers

Since 1959, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame has inducted 303 Coaches, Players, Referees, Contributors, and Teams. All of the Enshrinees are celebrated for their outstanding achievements and accomplishments. As the highest honor in Basketball, entrance into the Hall of Fame recognizes outstanding contributions to the sport.

Below you can select whether you would like to view the Hall of Famers by year enshrined, name, or category.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame - Hall of Famers Index

Off the top of my head, I have no idea how many I have, but when I round them all up, i'll count them. How many do you have?

Hopefully I can meet some collectors here that are chasing this set

Please feel free to share your progress...

Thanks and enjoy your collecting!

Giovanni

Last edited by SportsItUpCards; 07-31-2011 at 06:34 PM.
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very interesting article. I don't collect HOFers as such, but I collect the best players in NBA history... so by default that obviously includes a lot of current and future HOFers.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to splash out hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on rare autos of deceased players who I never saw (unless the player is someone like Wilt Chamberlain or possibly Pete Maravich). My pockets simply aren't deep enough.

Thankfully, of the top 25 or so players of all-time, only Chamberlain's autos are truly rare. Everyone else can be had for less than $350... even Jordan, Pippen, etc. Having said that, I'm reluctant to pay hundreds for autos of Barkley, Malone, etc. I'm hoping that they start signing more in the future, which will hopefully bring down their card prices.

In the meantime, that is why I collect a combination of autos and game used cards. Game used cards are often more beautiful than autographed cards (thicker stock cards also helps!), and I like holding a piece of NBA history in my hands.

And if you're wondering why I collect the top 25 players rather than the NBA's official top 50, well, it would always bug me that I couldn't afford the rare autos of players like Dave Bing and Billy Cunningham. Although maybe that will change at the rate Panini is releasing autos!
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am a big HOF auto fan much more so than modern players. These guys are legends and their legacies are solidified. If you buy modern you will be disappointed in the value lost by most of your collection as time goes on or a player does not meet his potential. Legends are not going to spike in price (unless they pass away) but they will maintain relative value.

That article on PSA is interesting, unfortunately Art who had the number 2 registry set sold off his collection due to personal reaons. I now have the #2 registry set but to be quite honest, I have not added much as of late (Though I did just pick up a Jack Twyman auto from Gold Standard his first certified signature to my knowledge).

I was hoping Panini would put some more cuts out this year, but the checklist is about the same as last year. Maybe National Treasures will have a few more new certified cuts.
DrJ Converse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here are a couple of my newest additions...

Always wanted this John Wooden card. Love the photo and the clean on card autograph. Got the copy in hand and it should grade 9/10.

Jack Twyman from this year's gold standard. I think this is his first certified auto (or at least his first in about 20 years).

Last edited by DrJ Converse; 02-18-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love the Twyman and Wooden. I've been to the basketball hall of fame (and football as well) and it's amazing. I'm definitely a hall of fame autograph collector, dunno how many I have, but I'm always willing to add more!
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Will, thanks for sharing... i've also stayed away from players like Karl Malone, Charles Barkley... in hopes that they will come out with a few more autos and the prices will hopefully go down. As you know I too collect GU but i'm gonna try to get back into autos.

Justin, great looking Jack Twyman!! Looks like i'm gonna have to pick one up... Congrats on bumping up to spot #2 on the Registry! I took my cards down a while back I thought I was going to sell them all but never happened, thankfully. I'm the one who contacted PSA about adding the HOF players/coaches/admin autos and months later, they finally came around to adding the set to the registry. Didn't Zbob also sell all his cards? I remember some time back he made a thread somewhere that he had completed his set and now selling them all... I don't think i'll join PSA again, but not sure yet. I was thinking Beckett, but let's see what happens. Probably just buy some one touches and call it a day.

Chris P., thanks for posting and glad to meet another HOF auto collector. Hopefully I will see on here more often...

Thanks for sharing guys.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Was just searching for Jack Twyman and noticed that Billy Cunningham has that same auto card... Looks like his prices might drop a little. I need to pick one up! Sold my UD Legends Championship Numbers/80 a while back when I thought I was selling all my cards. Don't miss it too much since the auto wasn't all that great... Hopefully I can pick one up soon.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't looked in a while, but I remember I got my Karl Malone/Keith Van Horn Stadium Club for like 40 bucks a few years ago. Do those still go cheap?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chris, NIIICE!!!

Nope, Karl Malone doesn't sell cheap anymore... It's like it shot up over night, or at least it seems that way to me. Because I remember him selling pretty cheap, then all of a sudden I saw some crazy ending prices and it took off from there.

Pretty nice snatch you got there, thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Gio, what's the cheapest Dave Bing auto & Dave Debusschere auto?
A friend of mine was asking

70K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Barkley is one I really want, but man it's hard to find anything of him, if Fleer hadn't gone out of business he's have a little bit more out there since he had just signed to be a company exclusive.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolz View Post
Hey Gio, what's the cheapest Dave Bing auto & Dave Debusschere auto?
A friend of mine was asking
Hey whats up!

Well, because Dave Bing doesn't have many certified autos, they go for crazy prices!!! Check out this listing for $338.33 with 22 bids, and it's a sticker auto. What would an on-card auto go for?

Dave Bing 2005 Luxury Box RED CARPET AUTO PISTONS #7/30 | eBay

Hopefully Panini will make an on-card one of these days...

As for Dave DeBusschere... It's the 2000 UD Legends Legendary Signatures, the regular version. They also have the Gold version which is numbered to 25 and then the Jersey/Auto numbered to 50 which is the one I have. I will inlcude a pic below.

They do have some lower end sets for DeBusschere but those three are considered the best, cause they're from a major company. Can't remember the other companies off the top of my head.

If I were your friend, I would hold off on the Dave Bing and try to get the regular version of the 2000 UD Legends for the DeBusschere.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow that Debusschere is NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Barkley is one I really want, but man it's hard to find anything of him, if Fleer hadn't gone out of business he's have a little bit more out there since he had just signed to be a company exclusive.
I would loooove a Barkley myself, but they go for waaay too much. Hopefully Panini will sign him... Wow too bad Fleer didn't stay a bit longer haha

I wouldn't be able to justify paying over $200 for a Barkley auto, so looks like I wont have one for a long time to come!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Wow that Debusschere is NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
Thanks!

I got this bad boy waaaay back... I also had the regular version of the 2000 UD Legends. Got that puppy graded thinking it would come back a PSA 10 and it got a 4 lol Gave it away in one of those free contests. Would have sold it if it came back a 10 cause I already had this jersey/auto so no need for two of them, so I figured what the heck, let me just give it away...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Pretty nice snatch you got there, thanks for sharing it.

I won't tell you what 'snatch' means in England!

Lets just say the above quote made me laugh
Old 07-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah I agree, I'll keep waiting until hopefully Sir Charles signs with Panini and becomes more affordable!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Hey whats up!

Well, because Dave Bing doesn't have many certified autos, they go for crazy prices!!! Check out this listing for $338.33 with 22 bids, and it's a sticker auto. What would an on-card auto go for?

Dave Bing 2005 Luxury Box RED CARPET AUTO PISTONS #7/30 | eBay

Hopefully Panini will make an on-card one of these days...

As for Dave DeBusschere... It's the 2000 UD Legends Legendary Signatures, the regular version. They also have the Gold version which is numbered to 25 and then the Jersey/Auto numbered to 50 which is the one I have. I will inlcude a pic below.

They do have some lower end sets for DeBusschere but those three are considered the best, cause they're from a major company. Can't remember the other companies off the top of my head.

If I were your friend, I would hold off on the Dave Bing and try to get the regular version of the 2000 UD Legends for the DeBusschere.
Wow those are pretty expensive LOL
Thx for the info

Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

That Bing going for 300+ is nuts. A couple years ago they were going in the 120-180 range and I thought they were overpriced. Bing will actually sign for free if you send a card to the Detroit mayor's office. He is probably staying away from signing for cash due to his role as a politician. Once he gets out of office he will probably sign again.

Dave Debusscherre also has some cut autos in the last couple of year's Panini (Timeless and National Treasures). These go for 100 give or take so there are options to pick up a signature.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

I am on a roll!!! lol

Just picked up a Pete Newell... How do you guys feel about non-certified autos?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

I sold a certified Dave Debusschere auto a week ago for $25.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

I think I will never be able to obtain an auto of Pistol Pete card because his was way too expensive.

picked up these Hof a while ago...
Dream Team Members

I pulled this 1 myself.

skycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post

Skycat - Beautiful cards thank you for sharing them. I love this Patrick Ewing, really good looking card and it's signed! The Jordan is not so bad either...

Will - Nice looking DeBusschere for 25 bucks! That's the card I had in mind...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Oh i know who got a sick collection of HOFer
bdrr!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolz View Post
Oh i know who got a sick collection of HOFer
bdrr!
Is he on this forum? Would love to see his cards... thanks for the info!