Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

hopefully panini realizes that their products won't sell without rookie autographs. if they try to do something else there will soon be nobody making NBA cards.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zammos1 View Post
Apparently they are still big in the European soccer card/sticker market.
They do a decent job producing Euro-league hockey cards as the back end producer.

Still I read this and I'm like, are you kidding?
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
hopefully panini realizes that their products won't sell without rookie autographs. if they try to do something else there will soon be nobody making NBA cards.
I would like to announce that NBA has sold me their rights for $150,000. I will be making cards outta those fillers and have the only autos coming from inperson autos I get at Bulls games, which is never.

Thank you thank you, also I will get autos from my Highschool.

Thank you all and have a good day.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
They do a decent job producing Euro-league hockey cards as the back end producer.

Still I read this and I'm like, are you kidding?
Not a fan of Topps or UD recently but this is silly. Actually this years BB has been pretty solid, at least flipping cases has been.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

Panini Premier

Panini Prospects

Panini prime patches

God, i dont know
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

will panini make auto'd and jersey cards, they dont for soccer and if they dont im done collecting basketball
luisvera69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisvera69 View Post
will panini make auto'd and jersey cards, they dont for soccer and if they dont im done collecting basketball
Or maybe its EXACTLY what the hobby needs...........

Still thinking of names!

Panini Phinest!

O-PANI-CHEE-NI- Hockey reference.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #33 (permalink)

Rumor is that Pannini is going to by Donruss Leaf Playoff to have a distribuiton arm in the states - it is the quickes route to be taken in order to produce what the market will demand.
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #34 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Maybe they will buy UD and fire Barry Just a thought...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

This is pretty unbelievable and will shake up all the other sports now. I'd think Panini will pretty much have to work out some deal to use a better known name, in the US at least.

I love how the NBA press release mentions Topps and UD figured an exclusive deal was the way to go...yeah, they felt it was a good idea as long as they were going to be the one winning it. I understand that the NBA has grown globally, but don't they know ALL their teams and core money makers are and will remain US based? They're like a lockout away from being completely insignificant, especially with hockey breathing down their neck.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
Rumor is that Pannini is going to by Donruss Leaf Playoff to have a distribuiton arm in the states - it is the quickes route to be taken in order to produce what the market will demand.
That's an idea. That would give DLP access to Basketball now. I don't think you would see a full on buy out. I still don't like this looks of this. I think the card market was saturated and crap. This will not help.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

oh that's tooooo funny. he has taken good care of me in the past but it took way too long (close to 5 months) and he is a forgetful airhead but always came through. plus I have heard some horror stories.
well I don't collect basketball but this is some interesting news and could be a bad sign of whats to come.

Imagine this.
Basketball (panini exclusive)
Hockey (UD exclusive)
Football (Donruss exclusive)
Baseball (Topps exclusive)

topp 2 already have already happened so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Maybe they will buy UD and fire Barry Just a thought...
orguss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzluvr1 View Post
Panini Premier

Panini Prospects

Panini prime patches

God, i dont know
you forgot panini with chicken and provolone
chromosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

So no more Lebron / Kobe / Durant / MJ autographed cards. UD has exclusive autograph deals with them right? I feel sorry for Panini and the NBA in this venture.

~Bryun
I have thousands of singles listed on Sportlots.com
bryun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryun View Post
So no more Lebron / Kobe / Durant / MJ autographed cards. UD has exclusive autograph deals with them right? I feel sorry for Panini and the NBA in this venture.

~Bryun
coming soon: lebron james cleveland browns auto cards in UD's football products
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #41 (permalink)

Just when UD and Topps get things right (no rookies signing exclusive auto deals), then this happens. I've opened more basketball products this year than I have in the past.

In search of 2006 NT cut autos of George Halas, Ernie Nevers, and Dutch Clark
willcvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryun View Post

~Bryun
Without a NBA card license would UD still need to keep them exclusive? Kind of a waste of money to pay them to not do anything. I would think it would be more profitable to sell/lease the rights to Panini?

What I am worried about is that once they lose the license, Topps and UD will no longer be able to make any NBA cards, and that usually includes redemptions...

I have more than my fair share of Topps redemptions too.
galar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
They're like a lockout away from being completely insignificant, especially with hockey breathing down their neck.
I know there are a lot of hockey guys on here, but does anyone really believe this? The NBA is doing well this year, with the Celts and Lakers back at the forfront. Hockey is on Versus. Come on.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
I know there are a lot of hockey guys on here, but does anyone really believe this? The NBA is doing well this year, with the Celts and Lakers back at the forfront. Hockey is on Versus. Come on.
Well, I'm in Chicago so it's a little different. Casual sports fans are far more excited about hockey than the Bulls.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galar View Post
Without a NBA card license would UD still need to keep them exclusive? Kind of a waste of money to pay them to not do anything. I would think it would be more profitable to sell/lease the rights to Panini?
Well the deals UD has with them are more than just cards - they do a lot of memorabilia through UDA which they'd probably want to continue doing. And having them under contracts would allow them to include their autos in any of UD's other card products, whether it be something like Goudey or a future Sportkings-esque product.

With these guys, Tiger and some of the other athletes UD has access to, they could put out a really nice high-end product without needing a license.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #46 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
Yeah I about laughed my ass off at that comment. Just stupid. No way is the NHL near the NBA..
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #47 (permalink)

im hoping topps will do hockey again at some point.

but anyways paninni will do insert/ autos. i collect the soccer cards they are very nice , so dont think that paninni is low quality becasue there not.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradolson View Post
Well the deals UD has with them are more than just cards - they do a lot of memorabilia through UDA which they'd probably want to continue doing. And having them under contracts would allow them to include their autos in any of UD's other card products, whether it be something like Goudey or a future Sportkings-esque product.

With these guys, Tiger and some of the other athletes UD has access to, they could put out a really nice high-end product without needing a license.
UD can still do cardsets with all their copyrighted photos as long as they don't infringe on NBA copyright. Stats are public domain, if they own the photos - boom - you have cardset. Add in LBJ, Kobe, Durant, MJ autos and you have a product that some people will want.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

They had better buy up someone like DLP. Having a foothold on the soccer card market is like being the biggest distributor of brussel sprouts...nobody cares. At least a Prime Patch Bird/Magic auto or Contenders Rookie Ticket Mayo would be more of a draw.
As for the NBA wanting to go global, jeesh, why not try and make yourselves relevant in the US again first. In the Lakers/Celtics/Bulls/Pistons yehday, basketball ruled! Now I can barely stand to look at games because of the attitudes of some of these overpaid "ballers". All they care about is the bling. That's why a guy like Garnett, who, if you've watched him long enough for, is so refreshing because he is about winning, not his next contract. A guy like Iverson or Marbury is nothing more than a hired gun, working for the highest bidder with no loyalty.
The NBA has been making poor decision after poor decision for the last decade. It's time for Stern to go and take his cronies with him.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

Upper Deck Responds to NBA's Trading Card Licensee Announcement

North Las Vegas, NV (January 27, 2009) – While Upper Deck is disappointed with the NBA's decision to grant exclusive trading card rights to a new licensee, they are reinforcing their commitment to producing the highest quality, most innovative and value-rich basketball products.

"Our focus remains on delivering great products to the loyal collectors and consumers who have passionately supported Upper Deck basketball products. We are confident the remaining 2008-09 NBA sets will be some of the best our industry has ever seen," said Upper Deck's VP of Sports Bernd Becker.

Upper Deck was granted a license to produce NBA trading cards in 1991 and shortly thereafter became the dominant market share leader in the category. They currently hold exclusive, multi-year autograph contracts with Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett.

Specific plans for the remaining 2008-2009 Upper Deck basketball brands will be announced in the coming weeks.

Collecting DREW STANTON auto's, patches, and low numbered cards!!! PM me!
swjedi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote