Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #26 (permalink)

All my pc cards are kept in a shoebox in my closet, a/c is always on... They should be okay but now I'm a lil worried lol, I'm going to have to check em out when I get home tonight.
eddiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedub21 View Post

actually these were images i had last week... although the scanner also make them looks a bit lighter than normal,
the russell is getting blurry and the rodman has faded quite a bit
Ouch for that rodman! Maybe that leather surface ain't that great to get signed on.
jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

I keep all of my cards in a fire proof and water proof safe in my 3rd bedroom that I converted into an office. My autos are still crystal clear and bright which is a good thing. I do have two framed jersey cases and switch out the jerseys I display every couple of months....the displays are made with UV glass, and I keep the blinds closed during the day.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboybill View Post
I keep all of my cards in a fire proof and water proof safe in my 3rd bedroom that I converted into an office. My autos are still crystal clear and bright which is a good thing. I do have two framed jersey cases and switch out the jerseys I display every couple of months....the displays are made with UV glass, and I keep the blinds closed during the day.
I would still be very carefull if I were you because the Beckett cases are also supposed to have UV protection. But if you noticed with the Pippen I posted in the original post, it's in a bgs case with their old label. Not sure exactly when they stopped the old label but I remember it was a while back, maybe even close to the date of the card, which tells me that the card was in that case for a long time and still damaged the auto.

I'm not 100% sure when they stopped using the old label, but I have a feeling it was very close to the date of the card... Maybe somebody here has that info?

I don't care if they tell me it's bullet proof, I still wouldn't shoot at it haha

Just be carefull that's all.

It's all about the 76ers in 2015...
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #31 (permalink)

^^^^^ Wow what a shame... The auto was signed nicely, also very well centered auto and only numbered to 10!!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #32 (permalink)

What the autograph should look like...

What the autograph would look like after the light has a little fun!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #33 (permalink)

Another one lost to the light... what a shame. Oh well, at least your Debusschere auto just became more rarer to get the auto is good shape.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedub21 View Post
the worst thing...
i don't have a/c at my place! lol
my heart broke when i dig them out this weekend and saw the damage on the cards...

actually these were images i had last week... although the scanner also make them looks a bit lighter than normal,
the russell is getting blurry and the rodman has faded quite a bit
It doesn't have anything to do with light or heat. Permanent marker bleeds then fades on leather/vinyl. That's why neither those nor the upper deck sweet spots hold up.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #35 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago. I had a display case on my wall with a lot of autos. Some completely faded and some blue ink turned black.

Fortunately most of the autos were cheap and could be replaced for $3-5 each. The biggest issue was the 96-97 Autographics with blue ink. They faded and turned black. Since that set had no other indication of the limited print (like serial #), they lost their added value.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

A couple of shops I used to go to put stickers on the toploaders where the auto was, to keep the sunlight/Lights off of them. Worked very well actually, and they had zero fading on any of them.

My Dad has a picture with him and Warren Buffett that's signed and inscribed, and he keeps it in a pretty sunny room. That auto and inscription has started to fade, and I told him he better put it away now, or forever hold his peace. Warren freakin Buffett!

"Would you like to touch my monkey? Touch him! Touch my monkey!"
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
A couple of shops I used to go to put stickers on the toploaders where the auto was, to keep the sunlight/Lights off of them. Worked very well actually, and they had zero fading on any of them.

My Dad has a picture with him and Warren Buffett that's signed and inscribed, and he keeps it in a pretty sunny room. That auto and inscription has started to fade, and I told him he better put it away now, or forever hold his peace. Warren freakin Buffett!
HAHA! Thanks for sharing. Yes, definitely tell him to put that bad boy away... I wouldn't mind a picture with Warren Buffett and signed!

That's a very good idea with the stickers to cover the autos, very smart on their part. Me personally though, for my personal collection, I wouldn't want any cards that were in the light for a long period of time, even if the auto was covered like that, because the card iteself can still get damaged...

Thanks again for sharing.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

So sad...

Yes, my Mikan Inscriptions just got one copy rarer to find a solid blue auto, but still very sad to see.

Protect those cards people!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #39 (permalink)

You think light only damages autographed cards?

Wanna talking about Jordan PMG? Check out these two photos...

This is the best way to see the difference when cards are "gang" scanned together.

The darker ones were probably in light for years!!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #40 (permalink)

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if it's faded or just the quality of the marker used to sign the card, what do you guys think?

Thanks.
Maso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #41 (permalink)

I keep al my cards in one of those plastic slide-out shelves so its pretty shady in there

i THINK thats good, your thoughts?
It's a different world..Its the search for the unknown
It's the glory of looking at your collection and saying it's mine, I built this.
Celtsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

I am very sorry bud but somebodys gotta tell you, it's faded. It's still an amazing card, and that's exactly why... this is such a great card that whoever had it would want to display all the time, and the rest is history.

This thread is meant to educate everybody about this. I'm sure many of you already know but a little reminder doesn't hurt.

Protect those cards everyone.

Amazing card though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maso View Post
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if it's faded or just the quality of the marker used to sign the card, what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
You think light only damages autographed cards?

Wanna talking about Jordan PMG? Check out these two photos...

This is the best way to see the difference when cards are "gang" scanned together.

The darker ones were probably in light for years!!
I don't think this is an issue of fading, the difference in brightness of the cards comes from how the cards were scanned. The cards that appear to be brighter are in toploaders, while the darker looking cards are in one-touches. From my experience, cards that are scanned in toploaders always look brighter and clearer then cards scanned in one-touches.

Last edited by jeebus_86; 09-25-2011 at 01:24 AM.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus_86 View Post
I don't think this is an issue of fading, the difference in brightness of the cards comes from how the cards were scanned. The cards that appear to be brighter are in toploaders, while the darker looking cards are in one-touches. From my experience, cards that are scanned in toploaders always look brighter and clearer then cards scanned in one-touches.
The two bright ones in top loaders are just a coincidence...

Below is a Jordan in a one touch and it's bright.

They show just fine in a one touch, as long as they're not faded.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #45 (permalink)

Not to mention, some of the dark ones in one touches are darker than the next... Definitely some light damage going on there.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
The two bright ones in top loaders are just a coincidence...

Below is a Jordan in a one touch and it's bright.

They show just fine in a one touch, as long as they're not faded.
It really depends on the persons scanner. And people could also always use photoshop to adjust the brightness on scans like that. So this is not something that can be proved by just posting different pics of different PMG's, when you really don't know what kind of scanner that person used, or if that person used some kind of program to adjust the brightness.

But, based off of the original scan of the bulk PMG's, I think it's safe to assume that the thinner toploaders were able to capture the brightness of the PMG a lot better then the thicker one-touch holders.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
It really depends on the persons scanner. And people could also always use photoshop to adjust the brightness on scans like that. So this is not something that can be proved by just posting different pics of different PMG's, when you really don't know what kind of scanner that person used, or if that person used some kind of program to adjust the brightness.

But, based off of the original scan of the bulk PMG's, I think it's safe to assume that the thinner toploaders were able to capture the brightness of the PMG a lot better then the thicker one-touch holders.
You would @&*^# a PMG's @%@%# if you could!

How about all the ones in the one touches that all appear dark, how about the different colors between them? Some are darker and some lighter. Let's hear this...

Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
You would @&*^# a PMG's @%@%# if you could!

How about all the ones in the one touches that all appear dark, how about the different colors between them? Some are darker and some lighter. Let's hear this...
I really don't see a big difference in the brightness of the one's that are in one-touches. And you really don't know if some of those one-touches are scratched or not, I mean, that could always affect it too.

When it comes to PMG's, I think this is something you have to see in hand to prove if something is faded, not just by scans.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
I really don't see a big difference in the brightness of the one's that are in one-touches. And you really don't know if some of those one-touches are scratched or not, I mean, that could always affect it too.

When it comes to PMG's, I think this is something you have to see in hand to prove if something is faded, not just by scans.
Exactly!!!

Buyers beware... You can't really tell 100% from a scan and they will most likely be getting a faded card, because people who had Jordan PMG's most likely displayed them all the time.

This is exactly why I like to take my chances with 90's boxes to get a fresh, fade free card.

But i'm affraid I must agree that you gotta see the cards in person... put two PMGs together, to see if one is faded and the other is not.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #50 (permalink)

Will ANYBODY answer my question???????????
I keep all my cards in one of those plastic slide-out shelves so its pretty shady in there

i THINK thats good
It's a different world..Its the search for the unknown
It's the glory of looking at your collection and saying it's mine, I built this.
Celtsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote