Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Looks like he used a thicker marker and it's not really fading, it's just skipping a little... Believe or not, skipping like that is accepted more so than fading, and matter of fact, card companies have even gave cards with skipping a perfect 10 grade. Actually, I wouldn't use the word "skipping" but instead, it's a little on the light side, like the marker was running out. But like I said, i've seen perfect 10 grades on these types. You can tell right away when a card is faded. Although I haven't seen another one of these cards to compare to, but it doesn't look faded to me. Some player deceide to use their own maker for whatever reason, or maybe the one given to them ran out or something.
I think what you mean by skipping they refer to as streaking. That doesn't really bother me but I noticed some of the cards in this thread look like they begin to turn black before they start to disappear. This card looks great but would hate to get it if the auto is on its way out. I think you are right though, it looks like he just used a black marker.
yeffromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeffromaniac View Post
I think what you mean by skipping they refer to as streaking. That doesn't really bother me but I noticed some of the cards in this thread look like they begin to turn black before they start to disappear. This card looks great but would hate to get it if the auto is on its way out. I think you are right though, it looks like he just used a black marker.
That's the word... Yes, the blue autos turn black and then start to disappear. Easy way to make sure is find another card like it, or a third to be sure, and if they're all black then he just used a thick black marker, but if you see one that is bright blue then something "may" be wrong. It is very possible to switch makers/pens/sharpies during signing, so it can get tricky, but for the most part it's not too hard to tell, even if you haven't looked at another of the same card.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
That's the word... Yes, the blue autos turn black and then start to disappear. Easy way to make sure is find another card like it, or a third to be sure, and if they're all black then he just used a thick black marker, but if you see one that is bright blue then something "may" be wrong. It is very possible to switch makers/pens/sharpies during signing, so it can get tricky, but for the most part it's not too hard to tell, even if you haven't looked at another of the same card.
Oh yep, google images showed me that he must of signed the whole set with a black marker. Cool, I might go after it. Thank you sir
yeffromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeffromaniac View Post
Oh yep, google images showed me that he must of signed the whole set with a black marker. Cool, I might go after it. Thank you sir
No problemo at all, anytime!

Yeah that google is a great tool, you can just type in a card and BAM!!! I actually need to use that more often... was going thru it a few days ago and there was so much card eye candy

Good luck with the card, hope you get a great deal on it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #80 (permalink)

Another example of what happens when you leave your autographed cards in the sunlight...

ROY HIBBERT /499 UD AUTHENTIC AUTO LOGO PATCH RC 2 COLOR SP 2008-09 ROOKIE | eBay

This one is from 2008-09 and is so bad I'm not even sure you can call this a autographed card anymore.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #81 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

RARE MICHAEL JORDAN AUTO #ed/50 1999 UD MASTER COLLECTION MJ1 ON CARD AUTOGRAPH! | eBay
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post
Another example of what happens when you leave your autographed cards in the sunlight...

ROY HIBBERT /499 UD AUTHENTIC AUTO LOGO PATCH RC 2 COLOR SP 2008-09 ROOKIE | eBay

This one is from 2008-09 and is so bad I'm not even sure you can call this a autographed card anymore.
WOW!!! Best one so far... lol

What I don't understand is, how do people let cards get like this? Do you not see the autograph dissapearing?? At what point in time do you say to yourself, enough is enough, this card needs to get out of the light!

I can see most card shop owners putting autographed cards in showcases and not care what happens... when the card sells it sells. I think their mentality is, if it didn't sell, it's staying in this sucker till it does. smh Sometimes you can go to a card shop and see the same cards there for YEARS!!!

This is the end result, unless it's a collector leaving it in the light till it gets this bad??? I doubt it. I think it's mostly card shop owners.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
The cards were like plastic.. I don't own any of them anymore but it took about 6 months for most to start fading without any sunlight. These were produced in 1997 too.
Just wanted to add that I have about 7 of these including jerry rice and none of mine have faded at all. Although have basically been in a box since 1997

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #84 (permalink)

Another one lost to the light.... smh

Michael Jordan Julius Erving Autograph 2000-01 Upper Deck NBA Legends 6/10 RARE! | eBay

Seller's description... "I am selling an EXTREMELY RARE Michael Jordan/Dr. J Autograph that is serial numbered 6 of 10!!!! I pulled this card out of a pack of Upper Deck NBA Legends over 11 years ago at the store I purchased it from, and immediately bought this inch and a half case to put it in so to avoid any damage. The Card is in NM-Mint condition at the very least, and has been in its case the entire time! For years I have gone through every Beckett pricing guide, and they were never able to list a price on the card due to its scarcity!! There are only 10 of these ever made, but the fact that this card is numbered 6 (Dr. J's Jersey Number) just makes it that much cooler! If you are a fan of MJ, Dr. J, or basketball itself, this is a great addition to any collection. I never planned on selling the card, but I need the money to help pay for classes and books for my Grad School, so please be generous when bidding because it will go a long way for me :-). I will insure the item when shipping as well as do overnight shipping for the winning bidder. The card will come with the case of course, and will be bubble wrapped very carefully so that it arrives in the same condition that it left."
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #85 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Wow that Dr J jordan is an extremely rare card, would probably fetch a ton even with the bad autos.

Too bad though
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #86 (permalink)

Here's mine, BG graded, thinking it was UV protected in the slab. It went from blue to black, it's been in storage ever since!
lkrfnmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #87 (permalink)

Hey man thanks for sharing the Kobe, and sorry that happened. Did you have it out in the light? What happened?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #88 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Check out this Topps Chrome Refractor.

Now, from the pic you can't always tell, because you may get the card and then it's a different color than displayed, especially with Chrome Ref. But this is around the color it would look if it had light damage to it. But the only way you'll be able to see the difference is to get about 5 of them or so, where 4 would be on the normal colors it should be and you can spot the damaged one easily.

You can try this at a card shop or show where the seller has multiples, you will see the difference, especially if the seller got them from all different places...
Somebody shouldn't have taken their 10/15 year old card to the beach
*connection to the woman who took her five yr old to the tanning booth....
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmadeofsteel View Post
Somebody shouldn't have taken their 10/15 year old card to the beach
*connection to the woman who took her five yr old to the tanning booth....
Oh my goodness, I saw that lady on tv... she's nuts!!! She belongs in this thread indeed. hahaha
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #90 (permalink)

I don't have a scan, but I recently pulled a 2007-8 Durant sweet shot autograph on a baseball hide, and the material they used for the baseball was so cheap, you could barely see the ink, and this is for a card that has been sealed within the tin for four years!
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
I don't have a scan, but I recently pulled a 2007-8 Durant sweet shot autograph on a baseball hide, and the material they used for the baseball was so cheap, you could barely see the ink, and this is for a card that has been sealed within the tin for four years!
Yeah i've heard a lot about those cards... so now we know even sealed ones go bad. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey man thanks for sharing the Kobe, and sorry that happened. Did you have it out in the light? What happened?
Had it display in my desktop for few years. Don't know exactly if it was a combination of some sunlight thru blinds or fluorescent light. I was in the impressions being in the graded uv slab! it would be safe!
lkrfnmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrfnmax View Post
Had it display in my desktop for few years. Don't know exactly if it was a combination of some sunlight thru blinds or fluorescent light. I was in the impressions being in the graded uv slab! it would be safe!
Thanks for sharing that info. Yeah that would do the trick every time... I'm sure they both played an equal mode, or probably the sun light did more, specially if the blinds were open all the way from time to time.

Never trust any type of holder... best place to keep them is in a dark, cool and dry place.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #94 (permalink)

hmmm, I should really think about putting this away then lol

A Johnny Depp autograph... It has been about a year now and the auto looks the same, it looks faded but it really isnt. but its out on display in my room.
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post
Ha... Just noticed that the CP3 I posted is from DACVintage just like the Pippen. Looks like these cards were displayed at DA Cardworld's shop for a bit too long.

Edit: The other Pippen Auto they are selling is a fake Autographics! Link: 1996/97 SkyBox Premium Autographics Blue #68 Scottie Pippen Auto | eBay
Why is this fake? It has the fleer stamp and a true Autograpics card.
Redemption King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #96 (permalink)

We have another one lost to the light... this time it's Wilt Chamberlain's BEST autograph!

This one is a real shame...

Old 07-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #97 (permalink)

Another card lost... Your Pettit auto card just became rarer...

Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #98 (permalink)

NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, now i am going to have nightmares lol
thanks for sharing

http://www.youtube.com/JOEMLM
JOEMLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMLM View Post
NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, now i am going to have nightmares lol
thanks for sharing
That's the plan... hahaha

Trust me, this gives me nightmares! But at least you know what you can do to protect them. As long as we take the right steps, we're good to go. We should protect the cards all the time, never know when we'll trade them away or sell them... it's good to give the next person a nice clean auto and vise-versa.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #100 (permalink)

Man that Jotdan, DrJ is sick#6 And inscribed!
aren't most wilt autos like that?