Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1999-00 Retro Lunch Box... Why is this box at $319.99?

Am I missing something?

99/2000 RETRO BASKETBALL JORDAN LUNCH BOX WITH M.J ON BOTH SIDE 24 PACKS 6 CARDS | eBay

I would love to bust one of these, but not sure the price is right.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just noticed the seller mentioned that it sold in Oct. for $345??? WOW

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Weren't these $60 boxes?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats a pretty damn expensive lunch box. I think I paid $0.50 for mine back in the day .

Jk jk. That's a pretty crazy price for this stuff. Like you said this stuff was going for around $60 back in the day. Amazing how high this stuff has gone up to.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Thats a pretty damn expensive lunch box. I think I paid $0.50 for mine back in the day .

Jk jk. That's a pretty crazy price for this stuff. Like you said this stuff was going for around $60 back in the day. Amazing how high this stuff has gone up to.
haha! Yeah man I remember back in the day busting two or three of these... I think it was around 60 bucks or so. I hope I still have the lunch boxes somewhere
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chance of pulling on card auto of Wilt Chamberlain I think.
skycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I noticed one that sold on ebay in Jan. 19th for $146.62 and yes, I understand it has Larry Bird on the box instead of Jordan, but does Jordan on the lunch box really matter THAT much?

1999-00 Upper Deck RETRO BASKETBALL LARRY BIRD SEALED LUNCHBOX | eBay
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

you are better off fishing in a parking lot that hoping to pull anything out of these. I remember buying a bunch of these and pinnacle hockey cans back in the day at big lots for next to nothing and still being disappointed lol.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah Wilt is in here, along with Bill Russell, West, Cousy, Penny........... I think about 20 players or so. Not to mention Jordan!!!

Check out this auction for only $60. It "sold" in Jan. 4th

1999-00 MICHAEL JORDAN UPPER DECK RETRO METAL LUNCHBOX ROOKIE CHICAGO BULLS | eBay

Then about a month later it was listed again but this time it didn't sell lol

1999-00 MICHAEL JORDAN UPPER DECK RETRO METAL LUNCHBOX ROOKIE CHICAGO BULLS | eBay

It appears the buyer sent it back and it was relisted. I know I would have been pissed if I received the box just to find it empty! smh Sure it says it in the description, but still... It looks like it's still sealed in the photos.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I bought it thinking I got a steal....I was so happy 'cause I've never seen the rookie version one before either....but stupid me I didn't read the description and the seller was nice enough to cancel the transaction.
mj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
Yeah, I bought it thinking I got a steal....I was so happy 'cause I've never seen the rookie version one before either....but stupid me I didn't read the description and the seller was nice enough to cancel the transaction.
haha what are the odds... Glad you got a refund. When I first saw that, I was pissed that I missed it. I only realized after I saw it listed again, so then I read it carefully.

My big question is, why did that Larry Bird box sell for around $140 when the Jordan one sold for $345?! They both contain 24 sealed packs...
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
haha what are the odds... Glad you got a refund. When I first saw that, I was pissed that I missed it. I only realized after I saw it listed again, so then I read it carefully.

My big question is, why did that Larry Bird box sell for around $140 when the Jordan one sold for $345?! They both contain 24 sealed packs...
Don't really know why some go for more than others but I hightly doubt the player on the front makes a difference since its only a lunch box...as I recall there are various versions; Jordan black and red jersey and rookie, Bird, and Dr.J, with the Jordan rookie as the rarest. I've only bought one box back in the day for like $65. I was hoping to buy a few more for a longshot at the Wilt, but with the current prices probably not.
mj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

The Bird one had a really small pic and could easily have been a scam... bigger pics clearly showing the seal intact help justify a higher price...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

I busted so many of these in football and hockey. The autos were great.These are one of my favorite products.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

the box isn't worth $320. I remember that auction in october, that was abnormally high. in the past few years i've seen this box go for 90-120 on average.
romayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
the box isn't worth $320. I remember that auction in october, that was abnormally high. in the past few years i've seen this box go for 90-120 on average.
My biggest head scratcher is this Larry Bird box selling for $146 ---> 1999-00 Upper Deck RETRO BASKETBALL LARRY BIRD SEALED LUNCHBOX | eBay

While this Jordan box sold for $345 with 13 bids!!! ---> 1999-2000 Upper Deck Retro Basketball Lunch Box Micheal Jordan | eBay

Why the big price difference?

I don't think Jordan on a lunch box should make a big difference... after all, there's 24 sealed packs in both boxes, so what makes the Jordan box so special and more valuable.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Can anybody tell me what's up with the two different box prices? ^^^