Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   2011-12 exquisite basketball? Whaaaaat?! (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/278826-2011-12-exquisite-basketball-whaaaaat.html)

Jin 03-27-2012 09:08 PM

2011-12 exquisite basketball? Whaaaaat?!

On their LAS Vegas Industry Summit article on the UD blog website, it says that they previewed upcoming products including 2011-12 Exquisite BASKETBALL!?!?!

[url=http://upperdeckblog.com/2012/03/the-las-vegas-industry-summit-continues-to-serve-as-a-source-of-inspiration-for-the-hobby/]The Las Vegas Industry Summit Continues to Serve as a Source of Inspiration for the Hobby | Upper Deck Blog[/url]

Could it be? Have any of you guys heard about this?

Honestly don't know if this will be good or a disastor for the collecting community and market.

SportsItUpCards 03-27-2012 09:13 PM

College uniforms... blah. I think it will take the Exquisite name into the ground. I didn't think Exquisite was all that great anyway, but this will definitely be a big blow lol

BeingJustin 03-27-2012 09:14 PM

Yea ill stay away, just buy singles :)!

screamingdc 03-27-2012 09:16 PM

A full on college Exquisite? No Kyrie Irving or Derrick Williams. Same old Jordan UNC and Lebron SVSM stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the cards will be high quality, just not worth it with the limitations it will have.

jt16 03-27-2012 09:17 PM

At least they are paying Jordan and Lebron.

But with no Kobe, Griffin, Wall, Rose, and the 2012 rookie class what is there to pull?

dmogull 03-27-2012 09:34 PM

Not sure what to think really. The one thing I can guarantee it will accomplish with the college uniforms is continue to bolster in value all the old UD products with pro uniforms (namely Exquisite, UD Black, Chronology, Ultimate).

tristan20 03-27-2012 11:26 PM

WOW, Cant wait to see these

hairyangryfella 03-27-2012 11:28 PM

Absolutely AWFUL idea...

UD have already put out such utter crap since they lost the license, why now are they going to tarnish the greatest thing they've ever made?

gonygo 03-27-2012 11:32 PM

bottom line, people are going to bust this product like there was no tomorrow n when a 1/1 mj with some sick patch or tag gets pulled, everyones gonna go nuts.. what would ud do w kobe since he didn't go to college? High school or mcdonald's all american game patches? lol

SportsItUpCards 03-27-2012 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=gonygo;2442852]bottom line, people are going to bust this product like there was no tomorrow n when a 1/1 mj with some sick patch or tag gets pulled, everyones gonna go nuts.. what would ud do w kobe since he didn't go to college? High school or mcdonald's all american game patches? lol[/QUOTE]

Are they actually putting real pieces of college worn jerseys or NBA??? I think college would be much better... wouldn't make much sense to me using NBA jerseys.

If UD uses college jerseys for their memorabilia cards, then I gotta take my hat off to them. Now that would be AWESOME!!! :cool:

oshmeehan 03-27-2012 11:40 PM

They used NBA jerseys for the jersey cards in the all-college Greats of the Game from 09/10. Looked really stupid with a blue swatch on an Isiah Thomas card picturing him in an Indiana Hoosiers jersey

jamuser304 03-28-2012 01:09 AM

They have been doing college Exquisite in football for a couple years now. Surprisingly enough, the resale value is very similar to the National Treasures counterpart. Many times it is more.

For example, a Rob Gronkowski Exquisite /120 sells for around $200 and a Treasures /99 sells for around $180.

If you bust Treasures, I suggest busting Exquisite, because in football's case, they both sell for around the same. In addition, Upper Deck included XRC for the upcoming draft in Exquisite football, and I assume they will do the same for basketball. Those cards were hot at the initial release, and were inserted 1 per pack.

ivbaseball06 03-28-2012 01:12 AM

I'm not sure how things are shaking out on the basketball side of things, but in football the UD college cards do just as well as their pro cards. As a college collector, I love it.

jcmel323 03-28-2012 01:22 AM

i dont think UD will use college jerseys for their memorabilia cards. its practically impossible.
high schoolers usually have max 4 jerseys for all season. College maybe 10-12

if this happen the cards will skyrocket in seconds

jamuser304 03-28-2012 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=jcmel323;2443325]i dont think UD will use college jerseys for their memorabilia cards. its practically impossible.
high schoolers usually have max 4 jerseys for all season. College maybe 10-12

if this happen the cards will skyrocket in seconds

[/QUOTE]

They will probably do it like football. The rookies will be (privately held) photoshoot material, the veterans will be game used pro jerseys, and if they have access to a college used jersey, they will use it. Peyton Manning had Tennessee jersey swatches in some Exquisite cards, and they recently obtained a Marques Colston college jersey that they could use.

Knicker_Please 03-28-2012 01:35 AM

if they got college unis that would be cool....but like jcmel323 said there arent many although it is possible and knowing upper deck theyd get a bunch of scrubs college jerseys and make scrub exquisite cards...would they be able to even use NBA jerseys or would that be against some sort of contractual obligation?

SportsItUpCards 03-28-2012 01:37 AM

[QUOTE=Knicker_Please;2443366]if they got college unis that would be cool....but like jcmel323 said there arent many although it is possible and knowing upper deck theyd get a bunch of scrubs college jerseys and make scrub exquisite cards...would they be able to even use NBA jerseys or would that be against some sort of contractual obligation?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they'll do a jerseyless product? lol...

thecomebacker 03-28-2012 01:45 AM

LOL, actually thats a badd ass idea ^^^^

Jin 03-28-2012 01:57 AM

Ah i think UD should have gutted it out one more year and tried to get the NBA license back in 2013 before coming out w/ exquisite. Look at what they did w/ names like Ultimate Collection and SP authentic - two of some of their best products.

Imagine if they came out with a 2012 UD BLACK Basketball. haha then I would lose it for sure.

Knicker_Please 03-28-2012 02:49 AM

Agreed I honestly think this years sp authentic was the worst product I've ever seen.

tristan20 03-28-2012 03:07 AM

[QUOTE=Knicker_Please;2443497]Agreed I honestly think this years sp authentic was the worst product I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

It did have these which I think was a cool idea and looked great, love the big autos. Probably my biggest Jordan auto

But I agree College uniforms just dont have the flashy colors, which is why the cards seem dull.

[IMG]http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/tristanrules20/JORDAN%20PC/ea6df372.jpg[/IMG]

hermanotarjeta 03-28-2012 03:19 AM

I've heard that the case breakdown would be one guaranteed Jordan per case, one guaranteed Lebron per case, and the third pack would contain another "group A" autograph.

It may just be a souped up All time greats.

They MUST do it right in order for this product to garner collectors respect.

I really hope they don't start using "photoshoot" veteran jerseys, ie a carolina jersey that Jordan wore at an upper deck "event". That would be the ultimate, er, an exquisite slap in the face.

You know this product would still sell like crazy if there is a jordan auto per case, even if he signs "event" used toilet paper - LOL.

ok, maybe not.

I know one thing for sure - I'm sticking with the good old licensed stuff.

ninjacookies 03-28-2012 04:24 AM

[QUOTE=jamuser304;2443289]They have been doing college Exquisite in football for a couple years now. Surprisingly enough, the resale value is very similar to the National Treasures counterpart. Many times it is more.

For example, a Rob Gronkowski Exquisite /120 sells for around $200 and a Treasures /99 sells for around $180.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing.

So you guys are saying UD can't or won't put 2012 rookie autos in this set? If they can't put any of this years' RAP's, then I really don't see what the draw of this product could be, except for jordan and lebron autos.

justdagoodstuff 03-28-2012 07:10 AM

The college uniforms kill it, THE END..

pryorfan2 03-28-2012 07:53 AM

If they use college jerseys, I might try to grab any buckeye cards even though I don't collect basketball. Wonder how the upcoming football products looked ..