Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Which Basketball Product is Best for Resale for 2008/09 in 10 years?

I'm thinking about buying a case of something and storing it for 10 years. Which product do you guys think will be the best? Please give me some advices if this is a good idea at all. Would need something with plenty of possible Rookie cards/hits and not too many redemptions.

The list of Product from Best to not best ()

1. 2008/09 Topps Chrome Basketball Hobby 12 Box Case (about $1400)

2. 2008/09 Upper Deck Exquisite Collection Basketball 3 Box Case ($1800) NOt sure how the product is yet and might have a lot of redemptions

3. 2008/09 Upper Deck SP Authentic Basketball Hobby 12 Box Case ($1364.99) Great Product but only 24 hits per case and the rookie cards are not worth much and all the good logoman rookie has been pulled.

4. 2008/09 Fleer Hot Prospects Basketball Hobby 16 Box Case ($1133.99) Great Price and up to 3 autos per box. Great looking Rookie Auto patches.

5. 2008/09 Upper Deck SP Rookie Threads Basketball Hobby 8 Box Case ($1442) Plenty of good Rookie hits but many of Derrick Rose's auto are redemptions.

6. 2008/09 Upper Deck SPx Basketball Hobby 10 Box Case ($1100)

7. 2008/09 Upper Deck Black Basketball Hobby 10 Box Case ($2264) A lot of Great hits but cost a lot and a lot of redemptions

8. 2008/09 Topps Treasury Basketball Hobby 12 Box Case ($1100) Great Rookie autos and Dual autos of top rookies and Larry Bird/Magic Johnson but maybe too many of them.

9. 2008/09 Upper Deck Premier Basketball Hobby 10 Box Case ($2200)

101. 2008/09 Upper Deck Radiance Basketball Hobby 8 Box Case ($1359.99) Lots of worthless autos.

200. 2008/09 Topps Signature Basketball Hobby 12 Box Case ($1174) Topps version of UD radiance. Millions of Autos, all sticker autos... Lowest valued Derrick Rose RC auto.
crazymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

For starters, it would have to be a product without a lot of bigger hit redemptions. It would also have to be a product that had a mixture of vet and rookie hits since you can't take for granted the fact that a kid like Rose will stay healthy and carry 08-09 products for the next decade.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I really think 2008/09 might be the next 2003/04 which is why i want to invest in a case. With Rookies like Rose, Mayo, Eric Gordon, Lopez, i think its got a pretty good chance. There might be even couple others late bloomers such as Chalmers and Koufos.
crazymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Potentially it could be 03-04 BUT who knows where this business will be in 10 years. Things are pretty bleak now and nothing much in wax seems to hold its release value long let alone take off and maintain high levels over a period of time.

2004 SPA FB was a prime example. Once the chances of getting even close to box price back on a rare big hit died, the cases became dust collectors because it was more bank account friendly to just buy the Big Ben then try ripping over priced boxes. Tough seeing anything new looking like the next 86 Fleer.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

i think the problem with most of those products is the number of redemptions they have. Of those listed, i would choose either sp authentic or topps chrome. You might also want to look into Bowman as well.
1993 pinnacle Joe dimaggio autograph
2010 topps chipper Jones/ mickey mantle dual gu/50(Got)
crr9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

The problem I see is right now we dont know what will happen to the Basketball market. Topps and Upper Deck may never make any more Basketball cards so to me you are better off investing in singles of the rookies you feel might be stars... in other words prospecting on Basketball rookies. That way you dont have to worry about redemptions. What would you rather have today...a Lebron James Exquisite RC or an unopened case of 03-04 Exquisite.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
The problem I see is right now we dont know what will happen to the Basketball market. Topps and Upper Deck may never make any more Basketball cards so to me you are better off investing in singles of the rookies you feel might be stars... in other words prospecting on Basketball rookies. That way you dont have to worry about redemptions. What would you rather have today...a Lebron James Exquisite RC or an unopened case of 03-04 Exquisite.
Exactly - if you can afford to sit on cases of Exquisite or what have you then you can buy up some nice singles as well and play the waiting game. I can't stand todays version of the NBA but I've been buying up every Rose auto I can get at a reasonable price. Seems like a pretty good investment.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rose won't be all that in the NBA. He is dumber than a bag of rocks and the modern NBA is a smart man's game. Derrick Rose seems as if he's working w/ a 5th grade reading level, he will have major melt-downs, messing up big plays, making the wrong decision constantly, etc..

Yes he is an incredible athlete! He is lacking one of the most important tools for longevity, THE MIND!

Eric Gordon will be more valuable over the long run IMO, and no, I'm not biased, I don't own any of either autographs.

If Kevin Durant doesn't put on any muscle, he will end up sucking it too
Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I personally would say either Base Topps (not sure there are any redemptions in it) or maybe Chrome (same reason). As its been said, very hard to judge long term value, but antyhing with redemptions for big ticket items will hurt. Topps Signature I think is a great product for the PC. Tons of autos and even the B list isnt that bad. But by serial numbering the cards they killed it. Better off to see 100 on the bay than to see 100 knowing they made 6000 of them.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i really love treasury and topps chrome from 08 09
u_want_my_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would go with the Exquisite BK. It seems to hold it's value better then most of the other products.
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxDestroyer View Post
Rose won't be all that in the NBA. He is dumber than a bag of rocks and the modern NBA is a smart man's game. Derrick Rose seems as if he's working w/ a 5th grade reading level, he will have major melt-downs, messing up big plays, making the wrong decision constantly, etc..

Yes he is an incredible athlete! He is lacking one of the most important tools for longevity, THE MIND!

Eric Gordon will be more valuable over the long run IMO, and no, I'm not biased, I don't own any of either autographs.

, Rose showed in the playoffs why he's by far the best rookie this year and showed no sign of "sucking it up" in the future, and the Durant line was the funniest, he scored 25 a game this year, and 20 last year...I'd probably invest in Topps Chrome just because of the lack of redemptions and look at what other guys chromes go for, but I wouldn't buy a case to invest because who knows what will happen to the hobby between now and 2020.
petyparamoreAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Without muscle he is one of the top 20 offensive players in the game at the age of 20. Your statement seems a bit odd.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

I nominate this as the stupidest post of the day!
MotorBoatinSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to J-FIELDS23 Send a message via Yahoo to J-FIELDS23

Quote:

You can't be serious?
J-FIELDS23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

What about Topps Hardwood......lots of vet hits and rookie hits, no redemptions I know of and not too bad price-wise. Maybe it has dropped off a lot....I haven't paid attention since release, but I did pretty well with my case.
Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

The new Beckett has an interesting article about the different hobby products and how they evolved and what sports they had impacted the most. I believe that Topps Chrome was #1 for Basketball (as opposed to FB or BBall). Not that I believe everything Beckett says, but I'd think that Topps Chrome is a proven winner for Basketball, and will CONTINUE to be a highly desired card for the future. I personally really liked the product so maybe I'm a little biased, but it's some cheap fun.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Simple, NONE

With redemptions more than ever now, its not worth the risk opening 10 years later
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

your best bet would be exquisite, but then again, there are so man people who hold onto cases of product, that they wont go up much once it reaches its peak. I dont think we will ever see another product that go up like 03/04 exquisite. There are just way too many people who are holding product for it to dry up
Casebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote