Blowout Cards Forums
Blowout Remix

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
what if investing in the teams and players you like is your hobby
[head explodes]

WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

I view card collecting as a Hobby more then anything else. I typically only buy those cards I want to keep for the long haul. Usually, the only time I sell some of my pc cards, is if I really need the money at that time, or if I bought a really high-end card, and I need the extra cash to purchase it. Ideally though, I would like to keep all my PC cards.
jeebus_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
The more I think about it, I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when I bought cards purely to flip them. Obviously if you see a card for a bargain price then it would be foolish not to snap it up, flip it for a profit and then use the money to fund PC cards.

I don't see my PC cards as an investment. I collect for the love of the game (coupled with the fact the cards are eye-catching, almost like artwork).

Maybe it's different if you're a player collector. I think there might be two different types of player collectors:

i) Those that idolise the player and don't care about card values. This is perhaps particularly true for those that collect obscure players.

and

ii) Those that collect the player because they think he has the potential to get better and, thus, increase the value of their investment.

There's really nothing wrong with any of the reasons for collecting, is there? I'm sure we all love the sport. Otherwise we'd be spending our money elsewhere.

I'm this type of collector, most def.! LOL!:

ii) Those that collect the player because they think he has the potential to get better and, thus, increase the value of their investment.

Still love the game and the chase, once I don't I'll quit! I don't see that happening even when I'm a blind 100 year old man, dang I wonder what my PC will look like then?.... LeBron's grandchildern, Yao's grandchild (probably will be 7-9 and better then his grandpa! LMAO)

This was well said: I do it because I am obsessed with basketball and feel like I own part of NBA history. It's like having a mini basketball hall of fame in a box.

To me, I could buy a really nice car or put a down payment on a OK house with my PC. I could trade it all for Gold too, but then what would be the fun in that?! I like watching cards go up and down, due to a players performance etc. I have had many busts as PC guys, but I hung in there b/c I love this Hobby! Why else would most of us be on these forums everyday, if we didn't all love what we do?!

Last edited by puregreen5; 04-29-2012 at 07:35 AM.
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

I recently posted this in a different thread. This is a great topic.

I would like to think I am both. Let me start off by saying that every card in my collection has a price. For a collector to say otherwise, they are probably not telling the truth. However my true PC cards like my Maravich Exquisite, MJ Dunk Chronology, etc it would have to be PMG stupid money for me to accept it. I have turned down offers up to 2-3x actual value just because I truly enjoy collecting these cards.

Also though, there have been plenty of cards I get with no real intention of keeping forever. I have made huge profits the last couple years of buying and selling Lebrons, Durants, and Roses at the right times. I then took that profit and invested in other cards for PC or just for flipping.

I dont think its one or the other (flipper or collector), there are def shades of gray. There is nothing wrong about either.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #30 (permalink)

I try to sell my cards but I have a lot of trouble letting go of them. So, you could say I am an Investor In Training
It's a different world..Its the search for the unknown
It's the glory of looking at your collection and saying it's mine, I built this.
Celtsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Personally, I take a long term view. It takes 15-20 years to get excellent value on cards. Ex: Kobe and Jordan inserts that no one cared about as much in the 90s. Cards need to become rare for people to pay more. Yeah you could flip cards quickly, but most of the time you will lose.
drtom2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
Personally, I take a long term view. It takes 15-20 years to get excellent value on cards. Ex: Kobe and Jordan inserts that no one cared about as much in the 90s. Cards need to become rare for people to pay more. Yeah you could flip cards quickly, but most of the time you will lose.
Since we are on the subject of investing what do you guys think a Jordan or Chamberlain rookie will go for in 50 years?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD34 View Post
Since we are on the subject of investing what do you guys think a Jordan or Chamberlain rookie will go for in 50 years?
An example would be George Mikan's rookie from 1948 Bowman. His graded 8-9 rookie is going for around $2500 now. He is not as popular as Jordan or Wilt, but has less cards available. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar grade would go higher then that.

Last edited by drtom2005; 04-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

This is not really true. In the 90s, I can assure you hard to come by Jordan inserts were still in demand and top dollars were paid for them. I pulled 2 97 MJ All star jerseys from 97 UD SII. I sold 1 for $1200 just a few months after release. Thats in 1997.

I also remember a chinese guy at my local shows whos only agenda was to find all rare Mjs inserts. He paid top dollar for anyone that had them. I remember very clearly when Topps gallery never made a private player issue Jordan and everyone was looking for it.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
This is not really true. In the 90s, I can assure you hard to come by Jordan inserts were still in demand and top dollars were paid for them. I pulled 2 97 MJ All star jerseys from 97 UD SII. I sold 1 for $1200 just a few months after release. Thats in 1997.

I also remember a chinese guy at my local shows whos only agenda was to find all rare Mjs inserts. He paid top dollar for anyone that had them. I remember very clearly when Topps gallery never made a private player issue Jordan and everyone was looking for it.
I agree with this. There are few cards that hold value over the years, or some cases weeks, just ask those who "invested" Jeremy Lin.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

Is it this one? See how much more in value it is going for now if you could find it. The guy you sold it too had to wait to make more money. I am not thinking I'm going to make any money any time soon. I just realise I have to wait for things to go up in value if it all. By the way, I am not a Jeremy Lin collector. LOL.

1997-1998 Upper Deck Michael Jordan Game Jersey Patch BGS 8.5 RARE BULLS MJ RARE | eBay

Last edited by drtom2005; 04-29-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #37 (permalink)

My cards are investments. That being said, investing is my hobby. Therefore, my cards are a hobby.

I have some items I'll PC forever (god willing) but most of my collection I view as a business. Running my business is my hobby though. Hopefully one day, it can be my full time job.

-James
Always accepting consignments - Top Rated Seller - PM Me!
pastmyshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Is it this one? See how much more in value it is going for now if you could find it. The guy you sold it too had to wait to make more money. I am not thinking I'm going to make any money any time soon. I just realise I have to wait for things to go up in value if it all. By the way, I am not a Jeremy Lin collector. LOL.

1997-1998 Upper Deck Michael Jordan Game Jersey Patch BGS 8.5 RARE BULLS MJ RARE | eBay
Yes thats the card. I pulled 2 of them and a Game dated MJ as well.

$1200 in 97. To $5k in 15 yrs later?

I know people that turned $200 into $6500 in a matter of 3 weeks with Jeremy Lin.

Whats your point? THat just because Mj is on the card its definately going to rise in value? Im sorry but thats not the case.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastmyshades View Post
My cards are investments. That being said, investing is my hobby. Therefore, my cards are a hobby.

I have some items I'll PC forever (god willing) but most of my collection I view as a business. Running my business is my hobby though. Hopefully one day, it can be my full time job.

-James
I agree here. Thats how it should be stated. Most people find the investment side to be the hobby. Thats what it is. THe hobby part is in collecting the card that make you money.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes thats the card. I pulled 2 of them and a Game dated MJ as well.

$1200 in 97. To $5k in 15 yrs later?

I know people that turned $200 into $6500 in a matter of 3 weeks with Jeremy Lin.

Whats your point? THat just because Mj is on the card its definately going to rise in value? Im sorry but thats not the case.
I am not criticising you man or anyone else. Just saying I am risk adverse. That is why I haven't been picking up any Derrick Rose cards. Thought he was overvalued for only playing 4 years.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I am not criticising you man or anyone else. Just saying I am risk adverse. That is why I haven't been picking up any Derrick Rose cards. Thought he was overvalued for only playing 4 years.
There are 2 ways of making money. The slow and less risk way. Or the high risk high reward way.

You can buy Durants today, hoping they go up in value as people come on board to buy. sure you can buy them at $300 and hope to make $350-$400. Less risk less reward.

Or you can prospect, speculate on future rookies. Buy guys like Kevin Love in his rc season and youd be laughing today. Or take a chance on a Jeremy Lin and see what happens.

All up to the buyer and his appetite for risk. I personally like high risk high reward.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
There are 2 ways of making money. The slow and less risk way. Or the high risk high reward way.

You can buy Durants today, hoping they go up in value as people come on board to buy. sure you can buy them at $300 and hope to make $350-$400. Less risk less reward.

Or you can prospect, speculate on future rookies. Buy guys like Kevin Love in his rc season and youd be laughing today. Or take a chance on a Jeremy Lin and see what happens.

All up to the buyer and his appetite for risk. I personally like high risk high reward.
Oh I prosect. Just in a different way and for low risk lower return stuff with sets and parallel collecting. I'm happy if I just make a few dollars if at all. No big deal if a lose a little money. Now a $1500 card going down to $200 from an injury would make me a little angry.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

I'm pretty sure my Gaines collection is all for the hobby haha

I mean besides the Exquisites and a couple nice 03-04 stuff i'm pretty sure i wont make any money in the future if i was to ever sell...
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

i tell myself its an investment but so far its been all hobby.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

PC only! No flipping here!

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven1 View Post
PC only! No flipping here!
So if I hit your 10k BIN you have on your Kobes or Wilt, you wouldnt sell it?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
So if I hit your 10k BIN you have on your Kobes or Wilt, you wouldnt sell it?
If i could buy another one to replace it then yes...If not then no...For instance the Kobe limited logos i would because i would be able to buy another one and also some more Kobes for my collection with the left over money ....If it was the Wilt than i wouldnt...Also i dont have anymore cards listed on ebay..Next time i list them up to check the market i will put a 20K bin on them so no one even thinks about hitting the button

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #48 (permalink)

Both.

I've been a collector since I was a kid. Collect for fun, but I do sell as well, to get $$ for other things. Don't really spend too much $$ from say my paycheck, I sell a few to buy a few, but will cash in if a player goes crazy..IE Jeremy Lin. He bought be multiple AUs and boxes I wanted

I do make base sets too
Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #49 (permalink)

I guess I'm opposite of most. Aside from duplicates I very rarely sell stuff, I can count on two hand the number of non duplicate sales I've made. I still remember those cards too. I also put together vintage sets and even some higher end 90s sets.

I guess I have always been of the mentality that once I start thinking I'm going to make money on my stuff it loses some of the "fun" aspect. I have always been of the mindset that I have a real career and this is just a hobby. Anything I will ever sell will just be reinvested in cards anyway.

I will say that I always think like "I have all this value in cards" so my net worth is higher or something, but in reality I will never assume any gains or losses.
MarkPacers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

IM going to throw this out there and im sure people will hate me for it. But Im sure its happend to many people here including myself.

Heres your typical wannabe collectors method of evil.

True collector ONLY when buying- By calling yourself a true collector you take advantage of the the "collector" handle to get yourself great deals in the BST. Most people like myself will give you a better than going rate deal because I feel like im helping you with your collection.

Flipper- This collector will now turn collector into flipper and try and make good money off the deal he just got off me as a speculator/flipper. He thinks he has relieved himself of any wrongdoing by considering himself being both a collector and flipper.

Im sure its happend to many of you. I know a certain someone who got hosed for thinking he was helping out a true collector when he sold a card cheap to help him add to his collection. That collector turned around and sold that same card not even weeks later to make 10x the money.

Dirty side of being a collector