Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #51 (permalink)

I'm not sure who you're referring to, Orangejello727, but I think you're far too suspicious.

For example, I call myself a collector not a flipper, and yet I sadly decided to sell some of my recent PC cards so that I could fund an even bigger purchase.

I actually felt quite guilty because I decided to sell some of the Exquisite base cards that were given to me for free a few weeks ago. It was a very kind deed by a member of HobbyKings, and you may remember the thread I started about it because it was so generous. Well, to repay him, I went out and bought some nice Tracy McGrady jerseys and patches (he collects TMac) and I'm putting them in the post for him this week.

I chose to sell a few of the cards he sent me because I really need the cash to fund a bigger purchase for my PC. It's the most expensive card I've ever bought and only the fourth most expensive item I've ever bought (after my house, car and TV!).

Does that make me a bad person? No. I still class myself as a collector.

Unfortunately, as a collector, I have to sell stuff to buy stuff. I don't have deep pockets. I earn $35,000 per year as a teacher. Therefore, when I want a new card, I have to sell some of my existing collection. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

I feel like you're on a witch hunt to criticise anyone who dares sell their cards and tries to get a good price for them.

I haven't seen any evidence of anyone doing anything wrong on the board, but you're very quick to accuse people of being 'scumbags'. You bring a lot of negativity to the boards.

Last edited by WillC; 04-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #52 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

I consider myself a collector/investor because of some of the higher end cards I collect.
I would never throw money at a card if I thought it was a huge loss, but I do pay premiums for cards I like. Sometimes I have to sell in order to fund other purchases.

As I always say, I don't usually sell, but if someone offered me a crazy amount, I ain't stupid.

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #53 (permalink)

I have always been flipping cards, but at one point I collected. I collected Dirk and Maxiell, and I've collected a ton of sets. I collected those for fun, not for flipping/investment. Now, I don't have the finances to collect, so I only flip.

There's a few members who posted in this thread already who are completely BS-ing saying they are both, when they are indeed just true flippers. I guess they don't want to admit to themselves, but it's obvious to others.

I also find it hilarious that many members post here that they are flipping, and there are a handful of members who constantly post flips/steals over at HK ... yet nobody 'hates' on them for it?!

When I was over there, and a few other members who are no longer there, it was an evil witch hunt every time someone posted a steal that they flipped. It was 'taking advantage of people', 'greedy', etc.

It was ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS, especially given the known shillers/manipulators there.

Everyone flips now, with the exception of a few people. Who wouldn't want to make money?! It's easy money and there's no foul play if there's no shilling involved! (Although I do think the BGS grading where people are sending in bulk orders and getting all 9.5's is pretty damn near foul play...)
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

I dont know if that was meant for me paul, but you and I had 1 argument with one another. THat was the CP3 exquisite issue. Back then id still stand up against his mistake. But knowing him today, id stick it to him lol.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #55 (permalink)

For me its mostly a hobby. If I get a card I dont want and it sells pretty well ill sell it.
ToppsCollector1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I dont know if that was meant for me paul, but you and I had 1 argument with one another. THat was the CP3 exquisite issue. Back then id still stand up against his mistake. But knowing him today, id stick it to him lol.
Haha no not meant for you. It's not meant for anyone on here, it's meant for those HK members who would SLAM myself and others for flipping cards. Now coincidentally there are a few new 'flippers' over at HK and they constantly post and brag about steals/flips and members PRAISE them

And yeah, the whole cp3 issue was blown up and I was outnumbered. There is no way to win an argument on a message board when you're up against QUANTITY. It is what it is though, good riddance to HK!
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
I consider myself a collector/investor because of some of the higher end cards I collect.
I would never throw money at a card if I thought it was a huge loss, but I do pay premiums for cards I like. Sometimes I have to sell in order to fund other purchases.

As I always say, I don't usually sell, but if someone offered me a crazy amount, I ain't stupid.
Exactly, you aint stupid. The same way others arent stupid who make profits from buyers happy to get the cards for the amounts they pay.

We both know how much I overpaid when I bought my Maravich Exquisite off of you. You were happy with the profit you made, I was happy with my card. Neither of us posted a price or did something we didnt want to do or unethical.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #58 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
Exactly, you aint stupid. The same way others arent stupid who make profits from buyers happy to get the cards for the amounts they pay.

We both know how much I overpaid when I bought my Maravich Exquisite off of you. You were happy with the profit you made, I was happy with my card. Neither of us posted a price or did something we didnt want to do or unethical.
It was a consensual deal lol

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

He got hosed. Now he is trying to hose others! Just calling it like it is.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
He got hosed. Now he is trying to hose others! Just calling it like it is.
From an outsiders perspective, probably.

However, I put thought into my purchases. I offered an amount I know I will never even come close to getting back, however for this card I was happier with the card than the money.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #61 (permalink)

I would say that I am a collector and by NO MEANS an investor!

If it was about the $$ I wouldn't spend all my time collecting a PC Player who was a 2nd round pick and has no ACL's! Not a smart investment really is it??

It's not fair to say that anyone who says they aren't in it for the $$ is lying! I have made money on cards a few times, but I only put the money into more PC cards. So there is no profit!

I love collecting sets more than singles. I plan to keep them forever if not a looong time, but I don't expect to make money on them later either, mainly because of the amount of $$ I have wasted in postage to gather them all up!
drob50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #62 (permalink)

I collect, If I get tired of cards I have ill sell them, If I get more money than what I paid for, GREAT, but if I don't its whatever... And with whatever money I get after I sell, I use it on other cards.

If I wanted to invest, I would invest on stocks rather then cards.
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote