Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Who should win the MVP?
Lebron James 39 51.32%
Kevin Durant 19 25.00%
Tony Parker 10 13.16%
Someone else 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

D-Rose.........what he was injured for almost the hole season and just tore his ACL
bhavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
Exactly. The qualifier of the MVP award shouldn't be that your have to be on a elite team. Honestly, look at a team like the Celtics. I'm a avowed Celtic hater, but Rondo is amazing. If he wasn't on that team they would be in the hunt for a lottery pick this year. Where is his MVP mention? How about Paul? Takes a team that had 1 playoff appearance in I don't know how many years, and turns them into the 5th best team in the West.
The Bulls were Stacked with Pippen and Rodman. Kerr was a lights out shhoter and Craig Hodges before that. They had Bill Cartwright and Will Perdue who was solid. Did Jordan deserve to win? He had a pretty stacked team much like the Heat.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by realreodeal View Post
The Bulls were Stacked with Pippen and Rodman. Kerr was a lights out shhoter and Craig Hodges before that. They had Bill Cartwright and Will Perdue who was solid. Did Jordan deserve to win? He had a pretty stacked team much like the Heat.
I say no. MJ won most of his "voted" awards because of Nike and the NBA. THey needed him to be head first inorder to promote NBA across the globe. Fortuantely for MJ they chose him to be the poster boy!!

Just my opinion!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Not sure why you think by immediately taking out Durant, the Thunder will lose a lot of games. During a stretch last season, The Thunder led by Westbrook went 7-2 without Durant. Westbrook was considered an early MVP candidate. This season, an article done on April 9th on the Durant and Westbrook Duo quoted below.

When Kevin Durant attempts more shots than Russell Westbrook in games played this season, the Thunder are 16-8, or .666. When Westbrook shoots more than Durant, Oklahoma City is 19-4, or .826. When both shoot the same amount of shots, they are 2-1.

So no, taking Durant out argument doesn't really improve his MVP case. LeBron is the superior and better player by a large margin . I believe he should win the MVP again for the next few years if he continues to play this efficient.

Last edited by suki24; 04-29-2012 at 08:18 PM.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

You had a valid point until the last part -

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
I believe he should win MVP for the next 5 years.
What the hell does being the best player have to do with deserving the MVP for the next {however long}?

What if Lebron gets injured and misses all of next season. Does he still deserve the MVP? What if he plays like rubbish and only averages 10 points. Does he still deserve the MVP? What a stupid comment!
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I say no. MJ won most of his "voted" awards because of Nike and the NBA. THey needed him to be head first inorder to promote NBA across the globe. Fortuantely for MJ they chose him to be the poster boy!!

Just my opinion!
I'll agree to a point with this statement, but I also don't agree with the other statement, that the Bulls were stacked because of Pippen and Rodman the same way Bron is stacked with Wade and Bosh.

Don't get me wrong Jordan definitely deserved his share especially early in his career, but there were some HOF players in the 90's that got the MVP shaft because Jordan "WAS" the NBA back then. Hakeem, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Drexler, Payton. That is if you were going based on a players worth to his team as a qualifier, and not just a players popularity and whether that team is a title contender or not.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
You had a valid point until the last part -

What the hell does being the best player have to do with deserving the MVP for the next {however long}?

What if Lebron gets injured and misses all of next season. Does he still deserve the MVP? What if he plays like rubbish and only averages 10 points. Does he still deserve the MVP? What a stupid comment!
Barring injuries of course. I believe he should win the MVP again for the next few years if he continues to play this efficient.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
I'll agree to a point with this statement, but I also don't agree with the other statement, that the Bulls were stacked because of Pippen and Rodman the same way Bron is stacked with Wade and Bosh.

Don't get me wrong Jordan definitely deserved his share especially early in his career, but there were some HOF players in the 90's that got the MVP shaft because Jordan "WAS" the NBA back then. Hakeem, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Drexler, Payton. That is if you were going based on a players worth to his team as a qualifier, and not just a players popularity and whether that team is a title contender or not.
Thats how I define the MVP award. Its a popularity contest winner.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #34 (permalink)

This has opened my eyes a bit, but I guess it comes down to needing clarification.

What is an MVP?

Is it the best player in the league/person playing the best?
Is it the player most vital to his team, or directly contributing to their good performance?

Lebron's the best in the game at the moment. However I don't think he's as vital to his team as other players are to theirs. No wonder this award is always so much debate.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

I think its the best player on the best team. If you follow who has been chosen for the MVP most seasons, its always the best team with the best player. Unless someone got robbed
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
This has opened my eyes a bit, but I guess it comes down to needing clarification.

What is an MVP?

Is it the best player in the league/person playing the best?
Is it the player most vital to his team, or directly contributing to their good performance?

Lebron's the best in the game at the moment. However I don't think he's as vital to his team as other players are to theirs. No wonder this award is always so much debate.
Look at the Cavs with and without Lebron. That should be enough proof for you.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Look at the Cavs with and without Lebron. That should be enough proof for you.
Again, what has that got to do with winning the MVP this season??
Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, what has that got to do with winning the MVP this season??
His overall numbers are far and away the best out there. That has to do with this season.

You asked the question about what an MVP really is and I just threw the Cavs with and without him shows his value. Now being on a team that has 2 other Certified Stars and he is still the Best All Around Player in the NBA by far and his defense is just getting better each year as well. Lebron is the Best. Period.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
You asked the question about what an MVP really is and I just threw the Cavs with and without him shows his value.
Exactly why he should have won it while with the Cavs. That's irrelevant to today's choice.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #40 (permalink)

I think the way the winner should be determined is straight forward. Who is the most Valuable to their team's success?? Meaning the team has to have a successful season for starters, but also, who was the most valuable to that result?

Personally, I think Parker has been more valuable to the Spurs than Lebron has been to the Heat. It is one thing to look at stats and use that as the biggest argument, but there are much more important things than pts/reb/ast etc.

For example, the BIGGEST thing Parker has done this season to be vital to the Spurs, is to control the games by feeding points to the bigs and putting up points himself, WHILE ALLOWING MANU AND DUNCAN TO REST!!!

The Spurs are a real chance at the title this year because of the time Manu was allowed to have to get healthy and because of the limited games/minutes played by Timmy. There is no stat for that!

I agree that Lebron is the Best player in the league this season. Anyone who thinks differently is probably biased on one way or another. But as people have mentioned, the award is not who is the best player. It is who is the MOST VALUABLE.

Also, Lebron sucks in Clutch moments, so his 'value' has suffered because of that too IMO
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
bas

Chris paul 4 mvp without him lac would suck, had good season and been clutch as, though i believe lebron is the best player this year just not as vital 2 the team
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp98 View Post
LeBron or KD. KD for being great AGAIN and keeps improving, or Lebron for having a pretty good season and carrying his team when Wade was hurt or sucked.
Pretty good season?

27.1 ppg, 6.2 apg, 7.9 rpg with a PER of 30.8?

For comparison's sake, KD is:
28 ppg, 3.5 apg, 8 rpg with a PER of 26.26. KD's Thunder have 1 more win than Miami, which is worth a little.

It's closer and closer as I look at it, but Lebron still takes the award IMO. Almost the same ppg and rpg pre game with almost double the assists from the same position. Great seasons for both, but LBJ would be my vote.
GoClips! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #43 (permalink)

why cp3 isnt the 3rd choice is hilarious..guess you guys get your opinions from the simpletons at espn..
cp3 player efficiancy rating is 27.1 parker 22.0
cp3 was the best clutch performer in the league by a landslide!!!!
he lead the league in steals..
he averaged 2.0 turnovers a game!

btw lebron is the winner..he makes his teamates better, then durant does, and he is a better defender..
his per is way higher as well..

i collect basketball patch cards..
bettydaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

Lebron James. Greatest impact on both sides of the court.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote