Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Who should win the MVP?
Lebron James 39 51.32%
Kevin Durant 19 25.00%
Tony Parker 10 13.16%
Someone else 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who is your MVP and why?

I know there have been threads about MVP but I want to see what the people on here would choose in a very debatable contest.

There are definitely merits to picking Lebron, Durant, Parker or maybe even someone else. What are they to you?

For me -
Take Lebron out of Miami and they still have Wade (awesome player), Bosh (decent player) and some good shooters (that they just don't seem to use, bad coaching?). Take Durant out and Westbrook is going to throw up A LOT of (ugly) shots trying to be the man, and they only have Harden as another option. The Thunder would lose so many games. Lebron may be defending well, Durant has been pretty clutch. It's a close call, but I don't see how you can have an MVP on a team which has 'the big 3'. OKC do have their own 'big 3' of sorts, but it's not in the same calibre. Just because they've got a coach and GM who have assembled a decent TEAM don't take the credit away from Durant for being the most important piece of that team BY FAR.
hairyangryfella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lebron james, i mean did u see him play yesterday? hands down the best player in the nba right now and he will win the finals mvp as well.
crazymj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I chose someone else. I would like for Kobe to win another MVP to solidify his ranking at the top.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Brian Scalabrine for being the best benchwarmer ever!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
Lebron james, i mean did u see him play yesterday? hands down the best player in the nba right now and he will win the finals mvp as well.
I rarely get to see games, and I know he's been playing well, but Durant also hit the winner... anyway, these are playoffs, MVP is on regular season isn't it? Or does it include all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I chose someone else. I would like for Kobe to win another MVP to solidify his ranking at the top.
Fair enough. Do you truly think he deserves it this year or are you just wanting to see it and that's all that matters to you?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Durant is perhaps a better offensive player than LeBron (although its debatable) but LeBron is easily the better defender of the two. That gives LeBron the edge. He's the best two way player in the League and is playing at his peak. If he doesn't win the MVP, then it's a bit of a joke in my opinion.

Durant is a very strong runner-up though.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

i dislike lebron like crazy and i dont want to get started with that
overall i hate him
he deserves mvp and if he doesnt get it then that is just wrong

he has been the clear cut best player all year long and consistently
he has to win
with parker second in my opinion
and kobe durant tied for 3
jbmets95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post

Fair enough. Do you truly think he deserves it this year or are you just wanting to see it and that's all that matters to you?
Lets be honest here. THere have been years where the playing who should have won it, didnt. So if it happens this year and it happens to be kobe, Id take it.

I think in 05 or 06 kobe was the hands down winner for the MVP with the best record and PPG scoring title. Yet he lost out to Nash that year. It happens because the MVP is a vote award and usually very biased. In my opinion players have been robbed of their MVPs. If it happens to be this year and Kobe gets it..I think he is owed for one that was taken from him before.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Lets be honest here. THere have been years where the playing who should have won it, didnt. So if it happens this year and it happens to be kobe, Id take it.

I think in 05 or 06 kobe was the hands down winner for the MVP with the best record and PPG scoring title. Yet he lost out to Nash that year. It happens because the MVP is a vote award and usually very biased. In my opinion players have been robbed of their MVPs. If it happens to be this year and Kobe gets it..I think he is owed for one that was taken from him before.
The fact that the Lakers seemed to play better without him at times makes me think he has zero chance. But who knows. Thank you for explaining your reasoning - I'd like to know the other 'someone else' picks and reasons..
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jcmel323

I would love to give it to parker, really has work hard but its impossible with da' beast lebron james!
jcmel323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

its clearly lebron...

nothing against durant
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Which would you rather?

Being up by 35 going into the 4th or being down by 1 with 8 secs left?

!
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Which would you rather?

...the reason the big 3 got together...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

LeBron or KD. KD for being great AGAIN and keeps improving, or Lebron for having a pretty good season and carrying his team when Wade was hurt or sucked.
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Which would you rather?

Mavericks>>>>>>>>>>>>Knicks

And I am a Knicks fan.
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The fact that the Lakers seemed to play better without him at times makes me think he has zero chance. But who knows. Thank you for explaining your reasoning - I'd like to know the other 'someone else' picks and reasons..
No offense and my intention is to not start a war over this, but I know the Kobe haters will probably come out to play anyway. However I'm so damn sick of people making that weak blanket statement that the Lakers play better without Kobe. Where is the proof? You want to take a extremely small sample size of the games that Kobe has actually missed and compare that to all the game in which he has played and use that for your assessment that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe. I'm sorry but that is such a weak argument to use. The guy has only missed 100 games in a 16 year career, and that includes all post seasons. You really think you can use that argument over such a small sample size when you stretch it over his career?
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I wanted to say the same. The Bulls played better without Jordan. The Bulls play better without Rose. The Thunder play better without Durant. But they dont count because they arent kobe!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
No offense and my intention is to not start a war over this, but I know the Kobe haters will probably come out to play anyway. However I'm so damn sick of people making that weak blanket statement that the Lakers play better without Kobe. Where is the proof? You want to take a extremely small sample size of the games that Kobe has actually missed and compare that to all the game in which he has played and use that for your assessment that the Lakers are a better team without Kobe. I'm sorry but that is such a weak argument to use. The guy has only missed 100 games in a 16 year career, and that includes all post seasons. You really think you can use that argument over such a small sample size when you stretch it over his career?
Calm down, was talking about this season... you know, the season we're talking about deciding the MVP from... Kobe had some horrible shooting games, then sat, and the team still played well. That's why I'm counting him out as MVP when there are seemingly more clear-cut cases in Lebron and maybe Durant. You guys get so hostile at anybody not loving Kobe if you stepped back and looked from outside you'd be quite amused. Kobe is one of the greatest players in the history of basketball. I just don't think this year he's played as an MVP.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lebron put gaudy numbers up on a stacked team. He deserves the MVP. Durant also put up great numbers but nothing like Lebron. Especially when you factor in shooting percentage. He took sooooo many shots and still was above 53% from the field. Big three or not, his stats speak for themselves. He is the best all around player in the NBA. He is like Magic Johnson on steroids and Durant is like a smoother Larry Bird. Both great players but Magic was just better all around and had 2 more championships to show for it.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Calm down, was talking about this season... you know, the season we're talking about deciding the MVP from... Kobe had some horrible shooting games, then sat, and the team still played well. That's why I'm counting him out as MVP when there are seemingly more clear-cut cases in Lebron and maybe Durant. You guys get so hostile at anybody not loving Kobe if you stepped back and looked from outside you'd be quite amused. Kobe is one of the greatest players in the history of basketball. I just don't think this year he's played as an MVP.
Not getting hostile, I'm trying to have a conversation. Like i said I don't want this turning into a flame war. Just a discussion, also I am applying it to this season as well. he missed 5 games at the end of the season. Not to mention he played the first 1/4 of the season with a torn ligament. I see no reason why he is not included in the MVP talks with LeBron, KD, & Parker. He is just as instrumental to his team being 3rd in the Western Conference.

So why not include him? Because his team played well without him for a 5 game stretch? Does anyone think they would really be 3rd in the west w/out him? He doesn't deserve it because he plays along side Pau, and Bynum? Well LeBron plays along side Wade the 2nd best SG in the league and Bosh a top 10 PF. I just don't get it.

I think the MVP award is mostly a sham anyway. Personally I would give it to Parker. He has done the most with the least support in the NBA. Bron or Duran don't deserve it. Durant has the 4th leading scorer in the league next to him.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
He doesn't deserve it because he plays along side Pau, and Bynum? Well LeBron plays along side Wade the 2nd best SG in the league and Bosh a top 10 PF. I just don't get it.

I think the MVP award is mostly a sham anyway. Personally I would give it to Parker. He has done the most with the least support in the NBA.
Now that is something I can agree with!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Just a question for you. Do you think the MVP award has been given to the wrong player before?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Just a question for you. Do you think the MVP award has been given to the wrong player before?
I'm not qualified to answer that. I didn't follow the game for a stretch from 99-07 and don't get to watch the games. I know it'll almost always go to a player that not everyone agrees with. Heck, look at this poll for just a tiny example of that.

*edit*
To see the MVP, IMO you'd need to take that player out of the team and see how well they'd do without him. I think Parker has had the most effect on his team this year, but at the same time Durant is more of a go-to player. Either of those could be the true MVP IMO.

Last edited by hairyangryfella; 04-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm not qualified to answer that. I didn't follow the game for a stretch from 99-07 and don't get to watch the games. I know it'll almost always go to a player that not everyone agrees with. Heck, look at this poll for just a tiny example of that. I just don't see how you can have a stacked team and still be the MVP of the LEAGUE, the MVP award itself is a bit of a sham as mentioned above.
Ive always been a proponent of the MVP. I think its a freebie award given away by voting done by writers and journalist. Its in their best interest to give it to a player that pays their wages. What I mean by that is, you give it to a player that is endorsed by Nike. Because NIke ads in your magazine you write for buy ad space, which in turn is used to pay your wages. It only makes sense.

Id line the pockets of those who pay my wages all day long too!! Especially when Im given a choice.

I think the players should vote for the MVP award. ONly they know who is truly worthy of it. They play them all day long. No one knows better.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not qualified to answer that. I didn't follow the game for a stretch from 99-07 and don't get to watch the games. I know it'll almost always go to a player that not everyone agrees with. Heck, look at this poll for just a tiny example of that. I just don't see how you can have a stacked team and still be the MVP of the LEAGUE, the MVP award itself is a bit of a sham as mentioned above.
Exactly. The qualifier of the MVP award shouldn't be that your have to be on a elite team. Honestly, look at a team like the Celtics. I'm a avowed Celtic hater, but Rondo is amazing. If he wasn't on that team they would be in the hunt for a lottery pick this year. Where is his MVP mention? How about Paul? Takes a team that had 1 playoff appearance in I don't know how many years, and turns them into the 5th best team in the West.