Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I couldn't decide...until now

So after watching every team I was rooting for be eliminated, and now coming down to OKC vs Miami (not a fan of either team), I tried to seek out reasons why or why not to root for one of those teams to win it all. I've honestly never been a fan of Lebron of Durant but couldn't watch the finals hoping they would both lose, lets be realistic here.

The first thing that came to my mind was that Miami was a franchise constructed, not moved from another city, whereas we all know OKC came from Seattle. I never knew what happened to create the move but I've noticed many Seattle fans very bitter toward the matter. I never bothered to figure out why until now. Any OKC fan that has not seen this documentary NEEDS to.

Sonicsgate [ONLINE DIRECTOR'S CUT - 2009] - YouTube

This was the single factor that made my decision to cheer for the Heat, not out of disrespect to OKC (the city itself) or the players on the team. But after watching this I honestly think the OKC franchise owners deserve absolutely nothing but to eat crow. It kind of made me sick.

I realize it is a fairly long documentary but I sat down with the intention of watching no more than a few minutes to get the gist of things but ended watching it from start to finish, glued to the screen.

I just want OKC fans to be aware of how exactly it came to be. It is obviously a catch 22 with wanting to support the players but confront the owners as well. I just want people to be aware and decide for themselves how they want to support their team.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

So, you decided to jump on the bandwagon?
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can't root against the Thunder because the current owner did what he always said he wanted to do - move the team to OKC. It's the previous owner who was a greedy sleezebag that screwed Seattle.
(didn't watch the vid btw)
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautographkid View Post
So, you decided to jump on the bandwagon?
haha the lesser of two evils I suppose
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
You can't root against the Thunder because the current owner did what he always said he wanted to do - move the team to OKC. It's the previous owner who was a greedy sleezebag that screwed Seattle.
should prolly watch the vid, they were actually both scumbags
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

You must absolutely hate the colts then....
Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
You must absolutely hate the colts then....
What's a colt? lol j/k I actually only follow basketball. When it comes to other sports, I'm pretty clueless. Care to enlighten me?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jim Irsay waited until like 3 in the morning and moved the colts out of Baltimore into Indianapolis. He didnt tell anyone, just did it
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Jim Irsay waited until like 3 in the morning and moved the colts out of Baltimore into Indianapolis. He didnt tell anyone, just did it
He must have had some incentive to pull that stunt. Usually it comes down to money. Was that the case?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolution View Post
He must have had some incentive to pull that stunt. Usually it comes down to money. Was that the case?
Baltimore was trying to steal ownership from Irsay and make it a government run team, Irsay hated Baltimore..it was pretty much a sh!tshow all around
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Baltimore was trying to steal ownership from Irsay and make it a government run team, Irsay hated Baltimore..it was pretty much a sh!tshow all around
It sounds like it. Can't say anyone would've been too stoked to have a government running a team, seems like it could cause some problems, conflicts of interest and such. You should check out that vid I posted if you haven't already. Definitely opened my eyes a bit to how things are run in the sports world...and ultimately building even more hate for Stern. That guy is a friggin criminal.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
It sounds like it. Can't say anyone would've been too stoked to have a government running a team, seems like it could cause some problems, conflicts of interest and such. You should check out that vid I posted if you haven't already. Definitely opened my eyes a bit to how things are run in the sports world...and ultimately building even more hate for Stern. That guy is a friggin criminal.
I put it on my watch later list, the games on man
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

here's a video that might change your mind
im no celtics fan by any stretch, but its less about their portion of the video and more about the heat one...
There Is No Better Video That Sums Up The Difference Between The Heat And Celtics Than This One Barstool Sports: Boston
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
im no celtics fan by any stretch, but its less about their portion of the video and more about the heat one...
There Is No Better Video That Sums Up The Difference Between The Heat And Celtics Than This One Barstool Sports: Boston
Definitely a good vid. I was rooting for Boston but...ya know. Like I said, I don't want either of these teams to win but because one must, I would hope for Miami to beat OKC just based on my personal opinions on how that franchise was handled. I am in no way saying Durant, Westbrook and the other players didn't work hard to get where they and don't deserve it but Lebron, Wade and the Heat also worked hard so I can respect that. It's decisions made by franchise owners that I can not respect. If I had it my way the Clippers would be facing the Celtics right now
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
Thats the difference between Men and boys right there.....
arnold84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Definitely a good vid. I was rooting for Boston but...ya know. Like I said, I don't want either of these teams to win but because one must, I would hope for Miami to beat OKC just based on my personal opinions on how that franchise was handled. I am in no way saying Durant, Westbrook and the other players didn't work hard to get where they and don't deserve it but Lebron, Wade and the Heat also worked hard so I can respect that. It's decisions made by franchise owners that I can not respect. If I had it my way the Clippers would be facing the Celtics right now
haha fair enough...but the arrogance...i mean come on lol...the team has nothing to do with the owner, its not their fault...i can see how you dont want that dude to get a ring tho, the owner i mean, wasn't the coolest thing he could have done...
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Actually you can, the current owner had every intention to move the team. Having many good friends in the Seattle area, it is disgusting. That's the problem w/ the NBA, 4/5 teams make most of the dough, thus the revenue sharing. Teams moving, teams going bankrupt, etc. Football is doing quite well without a team in the 2nd largest market for 20 years. NBA has always been a joke and I applaud the OP for his decision. Keep in mind, all three of the Heat stars took less money to play together for a championship. Lebron, and anyone for that matter, would have left Cleveland as they were not going to build a champtionship. They had 7 years to do somethiong....and didn't....owners fault. Which stars in the NBA moved teams inthe last 5 years and took max contracts....not these three.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote