Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonfromNC View Post
this statement doesn't make sense. Durant only needs 15-20 shots to get 35++ points, Kobe on a regular basis needs at least 30 shots to get there... Durant will never be a ball hog because he doesn't need half the shots Kobe needs.
People need to do some research before making comments like these. Durant outscored Kobe by 0.1 ppg this season. He only took 3.3 shots per game less than Kobe. I don't know where that 15-20 shots and 30 shots difference is coming from.

Durant is a more efficent shooter and probably will win several championships. We can make a decent comparison in another 10 years.

Kobe at age 23:
68 68 40.9 10.3-22.2 .464 0.9-2.9 .305 7.0-8.2 .853 1.5 4.3 5.8 5.0 0.6 1.7 3.3 3.2 28.5

Durant at age 23:
66 66 38.6 9.7-19.7 .496 2.0-5.2 .387 6.5-7.6 .860 0.6 7.4 8.0 3.5 1.2 1.3 2.0 3.8 28.0

Is there really that big of a difference?
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post

Is there really that big of a difference?

Yes, on the defensive end.

Don't worry, legacies are decided in decades. Everyone will be on the Durant hype train this year if they win the championship. Just like everyone was on Dirk's hype train last year.

Just part of the game.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Yes, on the defensive end.

Don't worry, legacies are decided in decades. Everyone will be on the Durant hype train this year if they win the championship. Just like everyone was on Dirk's hype train last year.

Just part of the game.
I forgot to add. Kobe is better defensively for now.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

I think some of you aren't comprehending this very well - Saying Durant is like Kobe, only 5 inches taller is basically Kobe saying Durant is better than kobe because ... Guess this: He plays like Kobe, except he has the advantage of being 5 inches taller !

Taller guys in the NBA in general don't have the skills of guards - 95% of 6-10 guys or taller in the NBA if they were shorter would not even be in the NBA ... Rare guys like Dirk, Durant, Garnett, etc. have "skills" like an average smaller player, but because they are taller (again - and move/shoot like a guard) - they are that much better ...

Kobe is saying Durant has the "skills" like him, but OBVIOUSLY because he's taller he's that much better ...
MavsRChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)

I really dont think some of these guys on this thread seen kobe play in his prime..having scoring titles is really nice but remember kobe led the league in scoring practically the whole season, if he wanted to have the title he would of put up 40 the last game of the season..its not about that fot kobe anymote...34yo putting up those numbers is unbelievable to me..ehen durant and lebron reach that age we will see if they can produce the same numbers "doubt it"
Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Remember, Kobe could have gotten the scoring title this year if he wanted. He knew how much to score to get it, but he didnt even play that game. Just goes to show you how worthless scoring titles are

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand completely, but RIGHT NOW, durant is the better player... now Kobe in his prime is a different story.

Well duhhhhhhhhhhh, theres an aging process as years pass if u didnt know
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #33 (permalink)

It is a shame Kobe only has 1 MVP...

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

when it's all said and done. Durant will have more MVPs, more scoring Titles and at least half as many championships... as for right now, of course Kobe has the better legacy and better career, but you must admit what Durant is doing in his first several years is amazing...
LeonfromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Last year it was the "Drose" train. How great this guy was going to. Winning MVPs, Rings and all the cherries on top.

This year its Durant.

Next year if its not Rose or Durant, im sure itll be another player who gets the bandwagon love at the next best thing to sliced bread!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Durant is me if I were 6'11", black, NBA basketball player and had arms longer than a flagpole.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Last year it was the "Drose" train. How great this guy was going to. Winning MVPs, Rings and all the cherries on top.

This year its Durant.

Next year if its not Rose or Durant, im sure itll be another player who gets the bandwagon love at the next best thing to sliced bread!
I'm not sure Durant is a one-time wonder or just a bandwagon... After he gets his first ring against the Heat, I'm pretty sure his legacy will only continue to grow... Remember Kobe had Shaq and a much better supporting cast his first few championships.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure Durant is a one-time wonder or just a bandwagon... After he gets his first ring against the Heat, I'm pretty sure his legacy will only continue to grow... Remember Kobe had Shaq and a much better supporting cast his first few championships.
You're already making up excuses before the guy has won anything.

You are already trying to justify that Durant doesnt have the talent kobe had to support his vitories. People do this to build a wall around their choice that way if they lose or dont meet expectation you have given them, you will have a fallback excuse.

Happens all the time when your player doesnt win. Instead of putting the blame on them, you search for excuse as to why someone else was better. You have stated that the reason Kobe has won so may championships is because he had better support then Durant. But what if Durant wins? Can we say he won because he has better support cast then the next team? Or do we just give him credit ans he did it all by himself without a team? lol

But why the urge to compare him to the greats already? I mean Kobe has 5 rings, MVP, MVP finals, All defensive team tags. He has earned his accolades. Has Durant? Not yet. Will he? Maybe, maybe not. Nor you or I know this till it happens. So why not wait till he earns them so we can compare facts rather than playing with What ifs?

If the Thunder dont win this year, who will you blame for it?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
says the guy with the kobe avatar. having a long career isnt based solely on talent but luck. luck that you dont get injured which seems to happen nowadays more often than not.
"Luck" has less to do with it than that. Sure, luck, plays a role, but fending off injuries takes a lot of work--it's an active, not purely a passive process. Staying in b-ball shape, proper nutrition, and a proper exercise regimen all reduce the risk of serious injury more than just "luck."
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You're already making up excuses before the guy has won anything.

You are already trying to justify that Durant doesnt have the talent kobe had to support his vitories. People do this to build a wall around their choice that way if they lose or dont meet expectation you have given them, you will have a fallback excuse.

Happens all the time when your player doesnt win. Instead of putting the blame on them, you search for excuse as to why someone else was better. You have stated that the reason Kobe has won so may championships is because he had better support then Durant. But what if Durant wins? Can we say he won because he has better support cast then the next team? Or do we just give him credit ans he did it all by himself without a team? lol

But why the urge to compare him to the greats already? I mean Kobe has 5 rings, MVP, MVP finals, All defensive team tags. He has earned his accolades. Has Durant? Not yet. Will he? Maybe, maybe not. Nor you or I know this till it happens. So why not wait till he earns them so we can compare facts rather than playing with What ifs?

If the Thunder dont win this year, who will you blame for it?
I agree Kobe is already accomplished more than 99.9% of all the NBA Players EVER, but I'm not going to blame anyone if the Thunder loses the Finals this year because Durant is going to get a ring or two or three or more throughout his career. Trust me Durant's supporting cast is NO WHERE near what Kobe had. I'm pretty sure most will agree with me on this. I by no means am downplaying Kobe and his rings. I believe that Durant is a better player than Kobe was at this same age. I believe that Durant will have more MVPs, Scoring Titles and at least several rings...

But you are correct, no need to compare now. We have to give it 5-10 years and then look back it.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

We might as well stop comparing durant to kobe, sounds like people feel he will be better than jordan lmao
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
We might as well stop comparing durant to kobe, sounds like people feel he will be better than jordan lmao
After watching Durant against the Spurs I already see Durant as a better player than Jordan was in his prime. Hardware isn't equal (yet), but as a player Durant is impressive. He looks like Shawn Bradley, but plays better than anyone I have seen in my lifetime.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
After watching Durant against the Spurs I already see Durant as a better player than Jordan was in his prime. Hardware isn't equal (yet), but as a player Durant is impressive. He looks like Shawn Bradley, but plays better than anyone I have seen in my lifetime.
LOL that was a few games man, ever saw Mcgrady and Iverson in their prime?

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
After watching Durant against the Spurs I already see Durant as a better player than Jordan was in his prime.

Did you really mean Jordan? Or Kobe?
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post

Did you really mean Jordan? Or Kobe?
Yep, I really meant it.

I thought Durant was a draft flop, but I stand corrected. I believe he has a better chance than any active player to surpass the historical greats. Durant really could be the best of the very best.

I know this is blasphemous to those who wear Jordan googles. I've never owned a par.

Last edited by fullmetal; 06-14-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: *surpass*
Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, I really meant it.

I thought Durant was a draft flop, but I stand corrected. I believe he has a better chance than any active player to surpace the historical greats. Durant really could be the best of the very best.

I know this is blasphemous to those who wear Jordan googles. I've never owned a par.
You don't need a pair of 'Jordan goggles' to recognise that Durant's performance against the Spurs was not better than some of the performances of Jordan during his prime.

For example, in the 1991 NBA Finals (against Magic Johnson and the Lakers), Jordan averaged 31.2 ppg, 6.6rpg, 11.4 apg and 2.8 spg. Meanwhile, his percentages were 55.8 FG%, 50 3P% and 85 FT%.

Or what about in the 1992 Finals when Jordan had 35 points against Clyde Drexler's Blazers... by half time of Game 1.

Let me know when Durant does something like that.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #47 (permalink)

Jeezuz H. Christ some of you people love to make mountains out of mole hills and throw in crap that has nothing to do with the main topic. It's a very fair comparison because whether Kobe said it or not, I don't think it's just about skill set when he's talking about Durant and making the comparison.

No Durant doesn't have any championships, well none until about 10 or so days from now, but there is no denying this kid is a gamer with a tremendous set of skills and a desire for greatness. If you were starting a team tomorrow and could build around anyone off any current roster, how the heck would you not take Durant (especially with Rose's injury) ?

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You don't need a pair of 'Jordan goggles' to recognise that Durant's performance against the Spurs was not better than some of the performances of Jordan during his prime.

For example, in the 1991 NBA Finals (against Magic Johnson and the Lakers), Jordan averaged 31.2 ppg, 6.6rpg, 11.4 apg and 2.8 spg. Meanwhile, his percentages were 55.8 FG%, 50 3P% and 85 FT%.

Or what about in the 1992 Finals when Jordan had 35 points against Clyde Drexler's Blazers... by half time of Game 1.

You're to fixated on MJ being the best at everything at everytime. You cherry picked out a few games. What about the games he wasnt at par? Should we dismiss those? Or how about his greatness in the late 80s? How many rings, MVPs and other accolades did MJ accomplish in the 80s?

There is one absolute fact amongst MJ nut huggers... THey are scared. THey are truly scared that someone is going to surpass their idol god of MJ and they wont have any excuses left to refute it. Comical!!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:

Durant is nowhere near Jordan. Will he be in the future? I think he can be, but I doubt he will (although I hope he will). I think what he's shown this year shows he has the potential and ability to though.

Those Jordan stats you posted were obviously ridiculous and unmatched. But what Durant has done this season--at 23 years old--is crazy too.

His postseason stats so far:
28.3ppg, 4.2apg, 8 rpg, 51% FG, 37.6 3PT, 87% FT, 1.4 spg, 1.3 bpg

All his postseason percentages are significantly up from last year. Just about everything but his points and rebounds (which have stayed the same) have increased. Nowhere near Jordan, but Jordan was 28 in that 1991 Finals series. I think in 5 years Durant has the POTENTIAL to be at that same level. But then again, since he's my favorite player of all time I know I'm being very biased and optimistic

Collecting the Thunder and DeMarcus Cousins.
volblorx8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Still better.