Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

(Not to mention the fact that Jordan was arguably the best defensive shooting guard of all-time while Durant is an average defender at best)
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
(Not to mention the fact that Jordan was arguably the best defensive shooting guard of all-time while Durant is an average defender at best)
The Big O average a triple double throughout a full season. Lets see MJ do that!

Russell went on to win 12 rings. Lets see MJ do that!

Anyone can make up lists which another player cannot achieve.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,733
Default

Durant has the skills to outplay every single player on the court, from the flashiest point guard to the strongest center. He can do it consistently.

This is my opinion. I don't need to debate it. I never become involved in these Jordan/Kobe debates because they equate to arguing with a religious zealot. Their beliefs are so ingrained they won't turn their bias off to even consider logic and other views. It is their view or the highway.

Stated again. In terms of playing the game of basketball I have never seen a player with more ability than Kevin Durant. I'm a Spurs fan. I don't care for the U. of Texas. I gain nothing from saying this. I own no Durant cards. I am not watching the NBA finals.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You're to fixated on MJ being the best at everything at everytime. You cherry picked out a few games.


Fullmetal mentioned Durant's playoff series against the Spurs - isn't that cherry picking too?

There's no point trying to argue with people who think that Durant is better than Jordan in his prime (), so I'm done here.

Most ridiculous argument ever.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post


Fullmetal mentioned Durant's playoff series against the Spurs - isn't that cherry picking too?

There's no point trying to argue with people who think that Durant is better than Jordan in his prime (), so I'm done here.

Most ridiculous argument ever.
This is exactly how I feel when people try and say MJ was better than any other player in the history of the NBA in all aspects. Its simply not true.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Durant has the skills to outplay every single player on the court, from the flashiest point guard to the strongest center. He can do it consistently.

This is my opinion. I don't need to debate it. I never become involved in these Jordan/Kobe debates because they equate to arguing with a religious zealot. Their beliefs are so ingrained they won't turn their bias off to even consider logic and other views. It is their view or the highway.

Stated again. In terms of playing the game of basketball I have never seen a player with more ability than Kevin Durant. I'm a Spurs fan. I don't care for the U. of Texas. I gain nothing from saying this. I own no Durant cards. I am not watching the NBA finals.
Ok so I'm supposed to value the opinion of someone who isn't even going to watch the NBA finals?

WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
This is exactly how I feel when people try and say MJ was better than any other player in the history of the NBA in all aspects. Its simply not true.
Nobody says Jordan was better than every other player in all aspects.

Wilt was a better rebounder, Maravich was a better dribbler, Stockton was a better passer.

What's your point?
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,701
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Durant has the skills to outplay every single player on the court, from the flashiest point guard to the strongest center. He can do it consistently.

This is my opinion. I don't need to debate it. I never become involved in these Jordan/Kobe debates because they equate to arguing with a religious zealot. Their beliefs are so ingrained they won't turn their bias off to even consider logic and other views. It is their view or the highway.

Stated again. In terms of playing the game of basketball I have never seen a player with more ability than Kevin Durant. I'm a Spurs fan. I don't care for the U. of Texas. I gain nothing from saying this. I own no Durant cards. I am not watching the NBA finals.
Thats why Lebron blurred passed him 4 times before Brooks had sefolosha on Lebron because Durant wasnt doing sh!t on the defensive end.

When Durant plays 4 FULL quarters let me know. He disappears from time to time, during the game, to defer to Westbrook.
__________________
!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Nobody says Jordan was better than every other player in all aspects.

Wilt was a better rebounder, Maravich was a better dribbler, Stockton was a better passer.

What's your point?
The point was to help you realize (among others) that MJ was not the best and to stop stating it as a fact.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
The point was to help you realize (among others) that MJ was not the best and to stop stating it as a fact.
So who is the best? Karl Malone?
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
EMD34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
The Big O average a triple double throughout a full season. Lets see MJ do that!

Russell went on to win 11 rings. Lets see MJ do that!

Anyone can make up lists which another player cannot achieve.
Russell won those rings with 8 teams in the league Jordan won 6 with 28 teams in the league, there is a huge difference.
EMD34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Thats why Lebron blurred passed him 4 times before Brooks had sefolosha on Lebron because Durant wasnt doing sh!t on the defensive end.

When Durant plays 4 FULL quarters let me know. He disappears from time to time, during the game, to defer to Westbrook.
Durant ALWAYS plays huge minutes, and he always plays them hard. Game 6 against the Spurs he played all 48 minutes and Game 1 against the Heat he played 46 minutes.

Maybe he's not constantly looking to score, but that's what I don't get sometimes. People bash Kobe for always looking to score (and I think rightfully so), but then people bash Durant for not looking to score all the time

People bash LeBron for not showing up in the 4th, although I don't get how anyone can argue he's been less than spectacular this postseason. Then people bash Durant even when he scores 17 in the 4th
__________________
Bucket: http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/KD35durant/FS%20or%20FT/

Collecting the Thunder and Sacramento Kings for life.
volblorx8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
So who is the best? Karl Malone?
Oliver Miller!

You're stuck in the late 80s and early 90s basketball era. Just want you to know that feats have been accomplished thereafter and many great players are still paving their way to greatness as well!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD34 View Post
Russell won those rings with 8 teams in the league Jordan won 6 with 28 teams in the league, there is a huge difference.
Whats the difference? THe fact that time changes and so does the game with it?

How about the fact that rules were different when MJ won his rings to when Russell won his rings? How about a reality check that the game is much different today as well, fast paced enough that these players from the 90s would never be able to keep up with the athletisism seen in players today?

The argument is a gigantic circle jerk. People keep comparing players out of their era. You just cannot do it. If you put MJ into the Russell / Wilt era and MJ wouldnt survive. You put Wilt into Lebrons era and he wouldnt survive. If thats the case, they why even try and compare?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Oliver Miller!

You're stuck in the late 80s and early 90s basketball era. Just want you to know that feats have been accomplished thereafter and many great players are still paving their way to greatness as well!
How am I stuck in the late 1980s and early 1990s?

I'm obsessed with basketball past and present. I have no preference for any particular era.

Just because the greatest player of all-time plied his trade in the late 1980s and early 1990s doesn't mean I'm stuck in that era

Are soccer fans who think Pele is the best player ever stuck in the 1960s and 70s?

Are boxing fans who think Muhammad Ali is the best boxer ever stuck in the 1960s and 70s?

You make no sense.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #66 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
How am I stuck in the late 1980s and early 1990s?

I'm obsessed with basketball past and present. I have no preference for any particular era.

Just because the greatest player of all-time plied his trade in the late 1980s and early 1990s doesn't mean I'm stuck in that era

Are soccer fans who think Pele is the best player ever stuck in the 1960s and 70s?

Are boxing fans who think Muhammad Ali is the best boxer ever stuck in the 1960s and 70s?

You make no sense.
There it is again. The criteria for GOAT changes based on the individual looking at it. I dont know if you do it on purpose but you surely beat the drum pretty hard for MJ or any player from his era.

Yes I think soccer fans that think Pele was the greatest ever are stuck in a realm of his playing years. HOw in the world do you ever compare players out of their era? You simply cant.

How about sprinters?? Marathon runners? Want to compare them as well. Bolt would easily out run any sprinter from the 20s, 30s or any era you choose. Due to improvements, he is able to. Why cant that logic be used for other sports?

Wilt vs Hakeem vs Shaq. Compare them. Take them out of their eras and put each on in all eras and see what happens.

You are a bi product of great marketing done by Nike/NBA. Its good to know that advertising and direct marketing still have that much of an impact on perception!!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You are a bi product of great marketing done by Nike/NBA. Its good to know that advertising and direct marketing still have that much of an impact on perception!!
I find it ironic that you think I'm a victim of Nike's marketing.

After all, you're talking to the person who would rather have a Hank Luisetti or Pop Gates autograph than Karl Malone or Patrick Ewing (both of whom played in the 1980s and 1990s, if you're keeping track).

You're talking to the person who obsesses about basketball history and owns a near library of old books, magazines, videos and DVDs chronicling the early days of basketball right through to the present day.

I write extensively about basketball, have spent my life savings travelling to America to watch games, and generally dedicate my life to the sport.

But you're right, the only players I care about are those from the 1980s and 1990s
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 554
Default

Wow when i mentioned the MJ comment it was meant to be a joke, are people seriously saying durant will be better than Jordan?!?! Durant & MJ both in their prime shouldnt even be compared..if you were born in the 90s please keep your input to yourself..Jordan is the greatest of all time and thats a fact..and im not sure why people compare russell to mj, russell was great but that era of bball was completely different like dribble with one hand coast to coast different..so lets just say russell was the best of his time...
__________________
LOOKING FOR KYRIE IRVING..
Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
I find it ironic that you think I'm a victim of Nike's marketing.

After all, you're talking to the person who would rather have a Hank Luisetti or Pop Gates autograph than Karl Malone or Patrick Ewing (both of whom played in the 1980s and 1990s, if you're keeping track).

You're talking to the person who obsesses about basketball history and owns a near library of old books, magazines, videos and DVDs chronicling the early days of basketball right through to the present day.

I write extensively about basketball, have spent my life savings travelling to America to watch games, and generally dedicate my life to the sport.

But you're right, the only players I care about are those from the 1980s and 1990s
It doesnt mean anything as soon as you throw your subjective opinions into it. I own a 6 figure watch collection. That doesnt mean I can build my own precise time piece!

As for my liking of players? I only like Kobe. I like kobe for subjective reasons like his ethics, work habits and determination. Aspect you can argue thus all opinion based. The same can be said for all the players you put on a horse. But the difference is you set yours in stone and only use numbers that work for your stance.

Listen, when it comes to likes, idolism and whatever else you consider the stalking of basketball and players, its all subjecitve. We form our rankings based on our opinions on what is important to the criteria of eventually nominating who is best. Due to the nature of criteria being subjective, no one will ever be correct.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
jimssouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volblorx8634 View Post
Durant ALWAYS plays huge minutes, and he always plays them hard. Game 6 against the Spurs he played all 48 minutes and Game 1 against the Heat he played 46 minutes.

Maybe he's not constantly looking to score, but that's what I don't get sometimes. People bash Kobe for always looking to score (and I think rightfully so), but then people bash Durant for not looking to score all the time

People bash LeBron for not showing up in the 4th, although I don't get how anyone can argue he's been less than spectacular this postseason. Then people bash Durant even when he scores 17 in the 4th
Dude... Get your well thought out logic out of this thread!
__________________
Theme of the Night: Song Lyrics
jimssouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Wow when i mentioned the MJ comment it was meant to be a joke, are people seriously saying durant will be better than Jordan?!?! Durant & MJ both in their prime shouldnt even be compared..if you were born in the 90s please keep your input to yourself..Jordan is the greatest of all time and thats a fact..and im not sure why people compare russell to mj, russell was great but that era of bball was completely different like dribble with one hand coast to coast different..so lets just say russell was the best of his time...
Heed the advice and stop taking any player out of his era. Damn, the mouse is starting to move that wheel. Been saying this over and over. I think someone is catching on.

Dont compare players. As much as you say to keep Russell out of the topic, please keep MJ out of the topic about today game. MJ has no impact on todays game as Wilt has no impact on MJs game. Simple
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
gamboooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 4,104
Default

Man, basketball fans are hard-headed idiots in general. Three pages of this is my opinion (which may or may not be on-topic) and here is some cherry picked info to back it up. I'm right, you're wrong. Boom.
__________________
When I post a price, I will not respond if you ask for a "best price" of if I "can do any better." If you want a better price than the one posted, please counteroffer.
My PhotoBucket: http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/gamboooler/library/
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
n1nesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,592
Default

That wasn't a cocky statement at all!
n1nesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Heed the advice and stop taking any player out of his era. Damn, the mouse is starting to move that wheel. Been saying this over and over. I think someone is catching on.

Dont compare players. As much as you say to keep Russell out of the topic, please keep MJ out of the topic about today game. MJ has no impact on todays game as Wilt has no impact on MJs game. Simple
What are you saying guy? Are we not comparing durant to kobe in his prime? Was kobe in his prime late 90s early 00s? Wasnt jordan playing in the 90s early 00s? You went wayyy the hell back bringing up russell, if u can compare durant and prime kobe you can compare durant and Mj...im guessing u didnt think mj was ahead of his time? Stop trying to shut everyone down mr.nba guru, everyone is entitled to an opinion...
__________________
LOOKING FOR KYRIE IRVING..
Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
What are you saying guy? Are we not comparing durant to kobe in his prime? Was kobe in his prime late 90s early 00s? Wasnt jordan playing in the 90s early 00s? You went wayyy the hell back bringing up russell, if u can compare durant and prime kobe you can compare durant and Mj...im guessing u didnt think mj was ahead of his time? Stop trying to shut everyone down mr.nba guru, everyone is entitled to an opinion...
Be my guest and compare players out of era then. While your at it tell me how Lebron kobe and Durant would fare playing in the late 80s and early 90s? Im sure they would top guys. While your at it put Wilt and Russell in there as well.

If you want to play what ifs and make up what possibly could have happend and reject reality and actually happend then be my guest.

Fact: MJ didnt play in Wilts era so you cant compare them
Fact: Durant / kobe did not play in MJs era so you cant compare.

Fiction: Trying to figure what kobe / Durant would have done playing in their prime vs MJ in his prime
Fiction: Trying to figure out how MJ in his prime would fare against Russell and Wilt in their prime

Fiction: Trying to take players form yesteryear and put them in present.
Fiction: Trying to take present players and figuring out what they would have done yesterday

Last edited by Orangejello727; 06-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.