Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kobe: Durant is 6' 11'' version of me

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012...ant-motivation

Quote:
When Kobe Bryant entered the NBA, it was clear that Michael Jordan was both his template and target. Maybe that's why Kobe's the closest thing to Jordan. Since Kobe is so good at specifics, we should let him describe what the ultimate manifestation of Durant could be.

"A 6-11 me," Bryant said.

Now there's a terrifying prospect. Someone whose eyes are trained on hell-bent destruction of the league, from the vantage point of someone 5 inches taller than Bryant.

Nate McMillan, who has coached both Durant and Bryant with the world championship and Olympic teams, finds them similar because "you can't picture them doing anything else. They were created for this game.

"Spending time with Kobe and Durant, you know that basketball is 90 percent of what they think about all day long."

But Durant is so much nicer than Kobe. A lot nicer on the court than Chris Paul, too. While Durant runs over to his mother before every home game, Paul has made it clear he would run over his mother to win a game. Does Durant have that inner fire, that nasty edge, that that

"That dog in him?" Bryant asked. "He's got it in him."
hazenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

let me rephrase that Kobe...

Durant is the 6'11 better version than me

After OKC goes on a string of NBA Titles and Durant goes down as the NBA's all time scorer, he WILL be better than Kobe.
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonfromNC View Post

After OKC goes on a string of NBA Titles and Durant goes down as the NBA's all time scorer, he WILL be better than Kobe.
that's a ridiculous comment!

do you know how fortunate kobe has been in his career to avoid serious injury? Sure he's been banged up a bit, but his body has adjusted amazingly well to getting older, which is why he hasn't faded out by now.

Guys like Lebron and Durant have gotten by on pure athleticism so far, there's no telling how that transition will be, though I'd assume it'd be much much harder on Lebron since Durant is a much better shooter than him.

It's hard to judge how a guys career will go based on their first several seasons. It may look one way, but guys like McGrady, Penny, Vince Carter etc...have shown that not every career follows suit.

Durant is a hell of a player, but until he does what he's doing for 10+ more seasons, there's no comparison between his legacy and kobe's.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Sure if that happens. But no use dicussing that when he is nowhere close. Let him get alteast 1 ring before you give him more than 5. Let him achieve top 5 all time scorer before you claim him to the the all time leading scorer.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Sure if that happens. But no use dicussing that when he is nowhere close. Let him get alteast 1 ring before you give him more than 5. Let him achieve top 5 all time scorer before you claim him to the the all time leading scorer.
I understand completely, but RIGHT NOW, durant is the better player... now Kobe in his prime is a different story.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

People are getting ahead of themselves, Durant better than Kobe? LOL

As much as I dont like Kobe, he is still one of the best ever. Durant has done nothing as yet and still isnt even the best play currently, yet people say he's better than Kobe? LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I understand completely, but RIGHT NOW, durant is the better player... now Kobe in his prime is a different story.
On court presently. Sure Durant is a better player with this youth. But thats not comparing apples to apples. Its like me saying that James Harden is better than Michael Jordan right now!!

Collectively to compare him to Kobe and his achievements? Not close at all. In your original post you claimed after he wins scoring titles and champships..etc. That "after" has not happend yet so we cant compare it to Kobe and what he has done. Till then, its still Kobes and up to others to take it away!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

says the guy with the kobe avatar. having a long career isnt based solely on talent but luck. luck that you dont get injured which seems to happen nowadays more often than not.

Last edited by XARZY; 06-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Durant would have to start shooting 30% to be Kobe lol

PICASA: https://picasaweb.google.com/117829626225350915904?noredirect=1
kenny3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
People are getting ahead of themselves, Durant better than Kobe? LOL

As much as I dont like Kobe, he is still one of the best ever. Durant has done nothing as yet and still isnt even the best play currently, yet people say he's better than Kobe? LOL
Um, three scoring titles in a row, I'd say he's done at least something.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Um, three scoring titles in a row, I'd say he's done at least something.
3 Scoring titles and no championship hardware to show for it!!! Its a balance.

The irony in it all is that kobe haters will say 3 scoring titles proves Kevin Durant better than Kobe. But if Kobe put 3 scoring titles in a row, Kobe would be a ball hog that doesnt pass or get his team mates involved. Such is true.

Better yet, Durant puts up less APG than kobe does yet no one says he is a ball hog for not passing!! Tada!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

The irony in it all is that kobe haters will say 3 scoring titles proves Kevin Durant better than Kobe. But if Kobe put 3 scoring titles in a row, Kobe would be a ball hog that doesnt pass or get his team mates involved. Such is true.

Better yet, Durant puts up less APG than kobe does yet no one says he is a ball hog for not passing!! Tada!
this statement doesn't make sense. Durant only needs 15-20 shots to get 35++ points, Kobe on a regular basis needs at least 30 shots to get there... Durant will never be a ball hog because he doesn't need half the shots Kobe needs.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
says the guy with the kobe avatar. having a long career isnt based solely on talent but luck. luck that you dont get injured which seems to happen nowadays more often than not.
i don't care for Kobe, my Avatar is solely for trade bait inquiries only...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

Same could be said for James and his three MVP trophies, in which none of them include the word "Finals" in front of them. If my hopes are realized, Durant will get his first one this year, and MANY more to follow. Guy is a class act on and off the court.

I don't like Kobe as much as the next guy, but his accomplishments pretty much speak for themselves.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

If Kobe said it then it's GOTTA be true.... haha
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Durant is obviously a much more efficient and 'purer' shooter than Kobe.

Kobe was more 'athletic' than Durant in his prime.

Apple to apple, who would you rather have had at the same age? I'd honestly say Kobe, since he had that ability to play the 'Jordan' role in the clutch on the defensive end. Durant has shown glimpses, but we've yet to see him become a lockdown defender like Jordan or Kobe.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
this statement doesn't make sense. Durant only needs 15-20 shots to get 35++ points, Kobe on a regular basis needs at least 30 shots to get there... Durant will never be a ball hog because he doesn't need half the shots Kobe needs.
Yeah because he tries to stay out the paint and shoot 3s, great 3 point shooter, OKC bigs set great screens also.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Poor Portland. Could have had Durant, instead they got Oden.

I am excited for the future of Durant. If Harden and Ibaka stick around this team will have multiple titles for sure. Still think that Kobe's defense is what sets him apart as up there with MJ but Durant is still young and has a lot more to improve on. Scary that he could win a title at 23 and be better in the coming years. And never a bas word said about his attitude or any off court issues. David Stern needs to make him the face of the NBA above everyone right now.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

I realize that Kobe is comparing himself as a basketball player. However, I think it's an insult to Durant as a person to be compared to ANYTHING like Kobe. If you read the recent article that was posted on here about Durant and why he picked the number 35 you would realize that Durant as a person is a million years ahead of Kobe. I feel bad for Durant to be compared to a womanizing, pompous ass like Kobe.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Outside of scoring does he do anything else? Sure he puts up points but he doesnt distribute or pass. While his scoring is top notch, we'll see how long he can keep it up. Good luck to him.

But as of now, Kobe still has him beat by a mile.......... and then some!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Same could be said for James and his three MVP trophies, in which none of them include the word "Finals" in front of them. If my hopes are realized, Durant will get his first one this year, and MANY more to follow. Guy is a class act on and off the court.

I don't like Kobe as much as the next guy, but his accomplishments pretty much speak for themselves.
For sure. Lebron still has much to achieve as well. Both Durant and Lebron still need to achieve leadership skill and experience. Not saying they wont, but Kobe has proven it already. Im willing to give these guys time to do. Im just not willing to give to them until they have earned and shown it.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbudd View Post
compared to a womanizing
Whoah, whoah whoah there, brah. I don't think Durant (nor 95 percent of the guys in professional sports) is a one woman man. I do think he's overall a better person than Kobe (then again a lot of guys are), but let's not drag infedelity or chivalry into this.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I realize that Kobe is comparing himself as a basketball player. However, I think it's an insult to Durant as a person to be compared to ANYTHING like Kobe. If you read the recent article that was posted on here about Durant and why he picked the number 35 you would realize that Durant as a person is a million years ahead of Kobe. I feel bad for Durant to be compared to a womanizing, pompous ass like Kobe.
What does off court issues have to do with basketball and achievement on court?

Kobe has had personal issues off court. What basketball player hasnt that has played and travelled on a long career? Shaq, Wilt, MJ, they all had issues off the court. Would you take anything away from them? Have you read up on Kobes work ethics and dedication to the game as well as his philanthropy?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
What does off court issues have to do with basketball and achievement on court?
As a person I wouldn't want to be compared to Kobe. Durant loves fans, Kobe doesn't want anything to do with fans. How many times has Kobe gone to play with local HS teams and speak to underprivileged kids FOR FREE. The answer: NEVER... So get off Kobe's D!#K and realize that on and off court has everything to do with achievements.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As a person I wouldn't want to be compared to Kobe. Durant loves fans, Kobe doesn't want anything to do with fans. How many times has Kobe gone to play with local HS teams and speak to underprivileged kids FOR FREE. The answer: NEVER... So get off Kobe's D!#K and realize that on and off court has everything to do with achievements.
You have absolutely no clue about kobe and the charities he supports. The term philanthropy stands for pro bono work for no money buddy!

Canned meats on the island are getting to you barney!