Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #76 (permalink)

hopefully the guy you sold it to will post his break on here!
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #77 (permalink)

I don't mean to come off as an d1ck or anything, but you did state before in NUMEROUS posts that you were a 100% collector and would never sell any cards because you are a TRUE COLLECTOR.

But you bought these at a good price to flip, otherwise you would have opened both if you were a TRUE collector. It would be about the cards, not the profit you made on the boxes ... right?
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
I don't mean to come off as an d1ck or anything, but you did state before in NUMEROUS posts that you were a 100% collector and would never sell any cards because you are a TRUE COLLECTOR.

But you bought these at a good price to flip, otherwise you would have opened both if you were a TRUE collector. It would be about the cards, not the profit you made on the boxes ... right?
I definitely class myself as a collector. Here's my PC so that you can see for yourself: Pictures by Will23C1982 - Photobucket

In my lifetime, I have opened 5 boxes of cards, if memory serves me correct. I prefer to buy singles because that way I get cards of the players I want.

So, when I saw two boxes of 1998-99 cards for cheap, surely I'd be a fool to turn down the opportunity of buying them and trying to re-sell them for a bit of profit? That profit will then be used to fund purchases for my PC.

If that doesn't make me a 'true collector', then oh well.

In my opinion, the fact that I've resisted opening these boxes and, instead, have decided to use them to fund purchases for my PC, is very much proof that I am a true collector.

Also, I don't ever recall saying that I wouldn't sell any of my cards. If I did, then I take back that statement. However, I'd need an irrationally high sum to consider parting with many of them.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #79 (permalink)

Who ever said a "true collector" can't flip stuff from time to time - especially to buy other cards? So basically you have to be a hoarder without much of a budget in order to be a true collector in any sort of volume?

Not everything has to be an all or nothing proposition. Reminds me of being in elementary school about 20 years ago and there was this tool who said that if people couldn't answer all of his questions about "The Simpsons", they weren't true Simpsons fans. And no, I'm not specifically saying anyone on here is a tool haha...

Most things do well enough with the sniff test and from what I've seen on this site, Will seems like he is deeper in the "collectors'" pool than most anybody else.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #80 (permalink)

I never said there's anything wrong with it, and I wasn't shooting him down for it. I just could have sworn in previous posts that he had stated, while putting down 'flippers', that he was a true collector who would never sell a card(s). And even a sealed box, is still cards. So this would qualify him as a collector/flipper.

A true collector would never flip any cards for profit. They would only buy to keep. If a GREAT deal popped up, they would buy it to keep.

It's not a big deal, but it seems as though everyone is a 'flipper' if the opportunity arises. There was a debate on here, on this, recently in which OJ and a few 'true collectors' were arguing. I just remember some people not being able to admit that they were not 'true collectors' if they would flip a card(s).
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote