Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Card handling

It really annoys me to see/receive cards that have bad corners or edges when they are from a product that just released in the market. I personally handle cards (especially ones I break) with extreme caution as if it was a bomb. I also dont mind spending a bit more on magnetic cases instead of toploaders. Some people dont realize they could've preserved what was a MINT condition card, thats in their hands with just a little bit more careful effort from ripping the pack, handling the card, and eventually choosing where to put it. I just shake my head seeing high end and even mid end cards in a top loader. I even have low end ones in magnetics lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldstar6 View Post
It really annoys me to see/receive cards that have bad corners or edges when they are from a product that just released in the market. I personally handle cards (especially ones I break) with extreme caution as if it was a bomb. I also dont mind spending a bit more on magnetic cases instead of toploaders. Some people dont realize they could've preserved what was a MINT condition card, thats in their hands with just a little bit more careful effort from ripping the pack, handling the card, and eventually choosing where to put it. I just shake my head seeing high end and even mid end cards in a top loader. I even have low end ones in magnetics lol.
are you like that guy online that does breaks wearing gloves?
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
+++++++1
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
haha nah. whats the purpose of that anyway...fingerprint marks can be easily wiped off with qtips anyway. I just avoid touching corners and edges and I forgot to mention that I dont scan my cards to risk surface scratches etc...I take a pic instead and actually comes out nicer and more appealing imo
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Top loaders are fine. In fact, top loaders are better for chrome and other similar finishes. Mags will scratch the surface. Don't get me wrong, I like to use mags as much as possible, but there is nothing wrong with a top loader. The issue is that some people just don't know how to handle the card or let it sit around for a bit without getting into something.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

This problem is more and more widespread. Even high volume sellers are not immune.

I state in my listing how the card will be packaged. I win 100 auctions per week. I guess I need to inquire for each item. I am getting more and more without top loaders or hammered into thin penny sleeves and top loaders that are too thin.

I send the way I would like to receive.

Do NOTS
use hinged cases
send without penny sleeve
use too thin of a sleeve (stretching sleeve damages cards)
use too thin top loader (hammering in damages card)
use wrong thickness screwdown/magnetic
use letter envelopes
sandwich between cardboard without top loader
fail to use tape or team bag to keep card from sliding out of loader
place a 30pt card without penny sleeve into 130pt holder
send graded cards without protection (chipped and scratched cases are terrible)
underpost - I dislike having to pay postage upon receipt

I thought all of these were common knowledge within the hobby, but based on the past year and especially the past few months I don't think others know this.

Last edited by fullmetal; 07-17-2012 at 05:28 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

You cant use gloves to handle cards, it will actually damage them LOL

Trust me I tried. The cards just slip out too easily

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
This problem is more and more widespread. Even high volume sellers are not immune.

I state in my listing how the card will be packaged. I win 100 auctions per week. I guess I need to inquire for each item. I am getting more and more without top loaders or hammered into thin penny sleeves and top loaders that are too thin.

I send the way I would like to receive.

Do NOTS
use hinged cases
send without penny sleeve
use too thin of a sleeve (stretching sleeve damages cards)
use too thin top loader (hammering in damages card)
use wrong thickness screwdown/magnetic
use letter envelopes
sandwich between cardboard without top loader
fail to use tape or team bag to keep card from sliding out of loader
place a 30pt card without penny sleeve into 130pt holder
send graded cards without protection (chipped and scratched cases are terrible)
underpost - I dislike having to pay postage upon receipt

I thought all of these were common knowledge within the hobby, but based on the past year and especially the past few months I don't think others know this.
Adding to this, I really hate when I purchase a card and it has the price in black marker on the toploader. I mean, I could always just switch it out, but it just ends up costing me extra hassle and money. Happens with at least 10 cards per month.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoole View Post
Adding to this, I really hate when I purchase a card and it has the price in black marker on the toploader. I mean, I could always just switch it out, but it just ends up costing me extra hassle and money. Happens with at least 10 cards per month.
Honestly, that's a bit ridiculous. Top loaders don't cost much money. Usually they are covered in tape anyways when you buy a card. Don't see why you'd get hung up on the top loader not being new haha
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know its not a big deal haha it can just be annoying at times.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldstar6 View Post
It really annoys me to see/receive cards that have bad corners or edges when they are from a product that just released in the market.
Keep in mind sometimes cards are just damaged fresh out of the pack. I handle all cards I sell as if they were for my PC, but many of them are damaged before I even open the pack.

I do agree that most sellers are super stingy about supplies. I purchase new supplies for everything I sell, but include it in the shipping price. I use a bubble mailer, cardboard inserts to make sure mailer doesn't bend( purchased from U-Line), top loader, sleeve, team bag and properly tape everything. For a single card or small lot I charge $2.50 for everything.

It's not a big deal, but sellers who charge over $2.50 and then don't properly ship, yes that does annoy me as well hah.
bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
mc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucho View Post
Keep in mind sometimes cards are just damaged fresh out of the pack. I handle all cards I sell as if they were for my PC, but many of them are damaged before I even open the pack.
This is very true. Also, I dont recall any of my cards ever being damaged inside a toploader. When you place cards inside sheets in a binder, that is another story. 99% of the cards I have with damaged corners or rough edges came out of packs that way or they were damaged while in a binder.
mc1 is offline   Reply With Quote