Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gold Standard ...Can you say fail?

Product is very new in fact will only hit some shops today

but seeing early sales doing bad

2011 12 GOLD Standard -box -case | eBay

wow 10 hours left and 24K cards going for $10 -$20

$200 a pack and you get 2 autos , 2 relics and a redemption

lets say you get larry bird which is of course a case hit you get at least $75-100 back then the rest $5-10 hit ... you outright loose 50% in value there
considering what you got is a good hit already

tsk tsk tsk

your thoughts i might be speaking too early but i just dont know what else to say bout the products coming out

collectors or box breakers getting happy to come up break even with costs ... is the hobby turning collectors to masochists who love getting their wallets hit to come up with a hit that will just get them their money back ?

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/skeen2/library/?sort=3&page=1
skeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Nice looking cards. I wish the autographs were not on stickers.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's almost identical to last year's design, yet the rare 'hits' (gold pieces) are numbered HIGHER, mostly sticker autos, and too many insert designs look similar to eachother.

The higher the quantity of the 'rare hits', the lower the value each holds. But the MAPP stays the same at $2k? INSANE!

I'm sure glad I didn't preorder any of this crap.

The black gold jumbo patches are a nice, but recycled design. And the solid gold 1/1s are nice, as always... But everything else is garbage!

Last edited by paul06901; 07-18-2012 at 11:29 AM.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

So question on the sticker autos with the window. do you guys prefer...

10/11 version where the trapped autos were cutoff due to the smaller window, but then you dont see the borders of the sticker making it slightly unappealing to the eye despite knowing its a sticker auto?

or

11/12 version with bigger window all around eliminating cutoff auto but exposing the entire sticker?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just buy singles. You have to be nuts to bust gold standard. Unfortunately, i learned this lesson the hard way last yr. Unless u get a solid gold redemption, you will more than likely loose money on your box/case.
gonygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonygo View Post
Just buy singles. You have to be nuts to bust gold standard. Unfortunately, i learned this lesson the hard way last yr. Unless u get a solid gold redemption, you will more than likely loose money on your box/case.
You'd have to be nuts to bust just about any Panini basketball products, when about 50% of the time your case hit doesn't even cover the cost of ONE box. And 99% of the time a case break will result in a net loss.... yeah, I've switched to Topps Baseball even though I don't follow baseball closely. A&G has been alot of fun this year.

Of course, this post will receive the same old tired responses about how you shouldn't expect to make money off of busting wax. I agree, BUT you also shouldn't settle for receiving a 20% return.

Last edited by zebrastar; 07-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

"Hey guys, its a hobby and shouldnt be about the money. I only collect cuz I enjoy it and never resale. Remember the dayz when it was all about fun of the hobby."

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
"Hey guys, its a hobby and shouldnt be about the money. I only collect cuz I enjoy it and never resale. Remember the dayz when it was all about fun of the hobby."
Agreed, but it is ridiculous that you could invest 1-2k in a product and get 1-150 bucks back in value...Personally and from what I've seen, Panini loads up a few cases big time and others are just flat out horrible...How could it be right for someone to get a logoman, sometimes two and a John Wall rpa in one case of NT and then in a different case, your best hit is a Dr. J auto /25...Thats ridiculous...Just distribute the big product hits a "little" more evenly. Is that to much to ask?
gonygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you are looking at busting a case/boxes to make money, then high end products like GS and Limited are not the way to go. Your odds of making money are on lower end cards like Prestige, Hoops, Threads, etc... Unless you are a case breaker (registered with Panini) your odds of making money back on high end products is almost zero. The problem with people is they want their cake and eat it too. You can't expect to get a $200 in every box; if that's what you want buy individual cards. Expecting to get $2000+ from a case of GS is stupid, I realize that I will most likely lose money, but I like the sport of the unknown. It makes getting that Durant or Kobe auto that much more real. What stories do you have to go with that Kobe you bought off of eBay?
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it looks great. The windows were the thing that killed GS for me last year, I'm glad they got rid of those. I won't be buying any Gold Standard boxes, but I like the cards.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would agree on the MAPP pricing. Panini is crazy about that. Same as prime cut baseball. 3 crappy prospect autos + 2 common jerseys for $250. That's why prime cut is like $150 a box now.

For GS, the cards look great. Value sucks. The price will probably bottom out at $120 - $150.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbudd View Post
If you are looking at busting a case/boxes to make money, then high end products like GS and Limited are not the way to go. Your odds of making money are on lower end cards like Prestige, Hoops, Threads, etc... Unless you are a case breaker (registered with Panini) your odds of making money back on high end products is almost zero. The problem with people is they want their cake and eat it too. You can't expect to get a $200 in every box; if that's what you want buy individual cards. Expecting to get $2000+ from a case of GS is stupid, I realize that I will most likely lose money, but I like the sport of the unknown. It makes getting that Durant or Kobe auto that much more real. What stories do you have to go with that Kobe you bought off of eBay?

A story? To go with that Kobe auto?

"So there I was in my boxers and wifebeater, hot pocket cooking in the microwave and Judge Judy on the tellie. I was 4 boxes into a 12 box case break when I noticed a Laker logo sticking out from behind a base card of Anderson Varejao... I pulled away the base card and BOOMWAMMYSHAMMY! KOBE STICKER AUTO #/199! sure I burnt the hell out of my hot pocket in the midst of my excitement but I just pulled an ultra rare $90 Kobe auto from my $1500 case break! Yeah!"
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

With the lack of competition Panini can capitalize on the higher prices.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Panini's problem is that they are trying to follow UDs pricing

How can you, when you dont have the two biggest players signing?

Knowing that you cant pull a Jordan or Lebron auto should cut prices by half, but no, Panini thinks they can still charge the same as UD did which is insane.

The NBA should grant licenses to UD and Panini at the same time = Competition = Better Products from both companies = Win Win for consumers and the NBA

!
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
The NBA should grant licenses to UD and Panini at the same time = Competition = Better Products from both companies = Win Win for consumers and the NBA
Totally agree. NBA should give license to UD. That would really bring back competition to the NBA card market, and probably save UD from eventually going under. I'd love to see that.

I'd have thought UD would have died by now, but they are still kicking it, and I'm sick and tired of college crap. I want to see LeBron/MJ auto's in pro unis and pro patches, the works. The only way that's going to happen is if UD dies and sells the rights, or UD gets the NBA license back.

I used to root for UD dying and selling rights, but since that doesn't look like it's going to happen, I'm now all for UD getting the NBA license back.

Fingers crossed!!!
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastar View Post
A story? To go with that Kobe auto?

"So there I was in my boxers and wifebeater, hot pocket cooking in the microwave and Judge Judy on the tellie. I was 4 boxes into a 12 box case break when I noticed a Laker logo sticking out from behind a base card of Anderson Varejao... I pulled away the base card and BOOMWAMMYSHAMMY! KOBE STICKER AUTO #/199! sure I burnt the hell out of my hot pocket in the midst of my excitement but I just pulled an ultra rare $90 Kobe auto from my $1500 case break! Yeah!"
I was using it as an example you don't have to be a douche bag. If you ever pulled an Exquisite or a 1/1 you may know the feeling. Now go climb in your hole and play with your 12 y/o nuts.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Dude the Super Scribes look sick would love to do that set... then you look at the checklist and realize it should be called Super Scrubs!
Now wonder they got on card for that set, lol.

I wish they would limited those gold cards to 10% of the print run and put 10X more gold on each card. And yes, dont worry i will be buying one and doing another operation.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcwd2000 View Post
With the lack of competition Panini can capitalize on the higher prices.
Appears they have done so. Until consumers tell the market otherwise they will sell at the price supply meets demand.

EPSN does it. You realize that ESPN costs cable/satellite more than any other channel. Almost twice as much as the second highest channel. When your cable bill goes up, most of it can be attributed to ESPN and their stranglehold.

NBA Properties negotiated the deal with Panini. They must have felt that a sole distributer suited their needs better than several. Unless the market tells these two otherwise why would they change?

There is competition in the market. Panini won the competition and are producing the cards. Their product will determine how they compete for future contracts. Don't think for one second that the market lacks competition. You may not see it like you see McDs and Burger King on the same block, but the economic competition is live and well.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
] What stories do you have to go with that Kobe you bought off of eBay?
That I got a good deal on the one card I wanted. Sounds like a good story, no?
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

i now have 3 Andre Drummond Redemptions, Gold Standard is a succes,
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I was using it as an example you don't have to be a douche bag. If you ever pulled an Exquisite or a 1/1 you may know the feeling. Now go climb in your hole and play with your 12 y/o nuts.
I think we all understand what you are saying. However, you are kind of contradicting yourself. Busting cases isn't the issue here; busting Panini cases is the issue.

You used Exquisite as an example. When busting Exquisite you have the possibility to pull at $50,000 card, and a few others close in value. Not to mention, a ton of cards that will get you your money back. With Panini, you do not have that. That is the complaint.

I remember busting a case of 2006-07 Exquisite basketball and pulling a few cards worth a few hundred each, and then a 1/1 regular rookie of Thabo Sefalosha (bulls). No patch, No auto. I broke even because of that one card.

Now go pull a 1/1 just ok rookie from Gold Standard and let's see it get 1k +, accompanied by a few other cards that allow you to break even. To top it off, this was the worst year for Exquisite, in my opinion.

Last edited by smoothfidelity; 07-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
Totally agree. NBA should give license to UD. That would really bring back competition to the NBA card market, and probably save UD from eventually going under. I'd love to see that.

I'd have thought UD would have died by now, but they are still kicking it, and I'm sick and tired of college crap. I want to see LeBron/MJ auto's in pro unis and pro patches, the works. The only way that's going to happen is if UD dies and sells the rights, or UD gets the NBA license back.

I used to root for UD dying and selling rights, but since that doesn't look like it's going to happen, I'm now all for UD getting the NBA license back.

Fingers crossed!!!
Does anyone when Upper deck or Topps can get back to business?
How many years is the Panini contract with NBA ?
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
yup i still remember too that santa claus was real and was really hating the grinch ... those were the days

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/skeen2/library/?sort=3&page=1
skeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post
I think we all understand what you are saying. However, you are kind of contradicting yourself. Busting cases isn't the issue here; busting Panini cases is the issue.

You used Exquisite as an example. When busting Exquisite you have the possibility to pull at $50,000 card, and a few others close in value. Not to mention, a ton of cards that will get you your money back. With Panini, you do not have that. That is the complaint.

I remember busting a case of 2006-07 Exquisite basketball and pulling a few cards worth a few hundred each, and then a 1/1 regular rookie of Thabo Sefalosha (bulls). No patch, No auto. I broke even because of that one card.

Now go pull a 1/1 just ok rookie from Gold Standard and let's see it get 1k +, accompanied by a few other cards that allow you to break even. To top it off, this was the worst year for Exquisite, in my opinion.
If you read my entire post, not just an excerpt that some 12 y/o kid took you may understand what I said.

"If you are looking at busting a case/boxes to make money, then high end products like GS and Limited are not the way to go. Your odds of making money are on lower end cards like Prestige, Hoops, Threads, etc... Unless you are a case breaker (registered with Panini) your odds of making money back on high end products is almost zero. The problem with people is they want their cake and eat it too. You can't expect to get a $200 in every box; if that's what you want buy individual cards. Expecting to get $2000+ from a case of GS is stupid, I realize that I will most likely lose money, but I like the sport of the unknown. It makes getting that Durant or Kobe auto that much more real. What stories do you have to go with that Kobe you bought off of eBay?"
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
Does anyone when Upper deck or Topps can get back to business?
How many years is the Panini contract with NBA ?
Ends after 2013 season if I remember correctly.