Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay Store Owners Advice

Hopefully the good people of Blowout can help me out. For an extra source of income, I am thinking about doing a good bit of selling on ebay. Id like to sell mostly cards, but I have a ton of books I would think about moving too. Here are the things Im wondering about-

1. Im getting killed on fees now, so what would I have to do to get the discount (and what is the % Ill save). How much do I have to sell every month to keep the discount?

2. I have a ton of low end/base laying around. What is the most effective way to move these? Would I be better an auction for .99 and charge shipping or start them at $3.50 for free shipping? For low end, is PWE the way to go? Due to DSRs I would plan to do free shipping, but not sure where I should start and the PWE effect.

3. How do you keep getting new inventory to sell? It doesnt seem like buying lots on here works very well for many. Flea markets?

4. Is there a way to get more exposure? It seems like the big names always get better prices when I do sell on ebay (and Im not talking about shilling, there is def another reason).

5. Any other advice that has been helpful for you.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
Hopefully the good people of Blowout can help me out. For an extra source of income, I am thinking about doing a good bit of selling on ebay. Id like to sell mostly cards, but I have a ton of books I would think about moving too. Here are the things Im wondering about-

1. Im getting killed on fees now, so what would I have to do to get the discount (and what is the % Ill save). How much do I have to sell every month to keep the discount?

2. I have a ton of low end/base laying around. What is the most effective way to move these? Would I be better an auction for .99 and charge shipping or start them at $3.50 for free shipping? For low end, is PWE the way to go? Due to DSRs I would plan to do free shipping, but not sure where I should start and the PWE effect.

3. How do you keep getting new inventory to sell? It doesnt seem like buying lots on here works very well for many. Flea markets?

4. Is there a way to get more exposure? It seems like the big names always get better prices when I do sell on ebay (and Im not talking about shilling, there is def another reason).

I'm definitely no pro, but I've researched this a lot because I'd like to do the same. The problem for me is with an infant, wife, and a job with crazy hours, I just don't have the time.

1. eBay: Fee Illustrator Ebays fee calculator will help you decide the best way to sell, store or no store, basic, premium, anchor, etc.

2. Low end/base seems tough to get rid of. My LCS doesn't even take them for free unless its a new release. Lot sales seems like the best way to go to me on these. Or some of the set builder websites.

3. Flea markets, Craigs list, garage sales, estate sales. Some people do well buying lots on ebay and splitting and reselling.

4. Consistency seems to be the big thing here. Maintaining decent product keeps people coming back, just like a walk in store does. Some people run contests on different forums. Quick handling (getting the product shipped right after it is purchased) will help a lot.

5. For my brother and I it takes a lot of research. We find little niches where we can buy cheap and resell. It is a lot of work though, lots of scouring ebay to see what is selling and finding where we can buy it cheaper.

hope that helps a bit...and like I said I'm definitely no pro.
piner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

That definitely helps me. Thank you.

I agree with being busy. I was actually thinking about splitting the profits with my unemployed cousin (hes not really the motivated type) to just list the cards and take care of packing and shipping. My judgement tells me to do it myself though lol

I would like to dedicate 2 nights a week to listing and packaging. What would throw me is having to wait for payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piner View Post
I'm definitely no pro, but I've researched this a lot because I'd like to do the same. The problem for me is with an infant, wife, and a job with crazy hours, I just don't have the time.

1. eBay: Fee Illustrator Ebays fee calculator will help you decide the best way to sell, store or no store, basic, premium, anchor, etc.

2. Low end/base seems tough to get rid of. My LCS doesn't even take them for free unless its a new release. Lot sales seems like the best way to go to me on these. Or some of the set builder websites.

3. Flea markets, Craigs list, garage sales, estate sales. Some people do well buying lots on ebay and splitting and reselling.

4. Consistency seems to be the big thing here. Maintaining decent product keeps people coming back, just like a walk in store does. Some people run contests on different forums. Quick handling (getting the product shipped right after it is purchased) will help a lot.

5. For my brother and I it takes a lot of research. We find little niches where we can buy cheap and resell. It is a lot of work though, lots of scouring ebay to see what is selling and finding where we can buy it cheaper.

hope that helps a bit...and like I said I'm definitely no pro.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Here are a few tips;

1. Build your feedback (most people just have more trust in sellers with high feedback rated at 100% positive)

2. If you sell enough to get "top rated seller" status AND you offer 1 day handling and a 14 day return policy you get 20% off your monthly ebay fees. The handling and return policy were just implemented recently.

3. As far as finding inventory, you are on your own. If this were easy, then every one would be starting their own business on ebay. This is one of the main aspects to making money and can be the hardest part.

4. Just as with any business venture; no risk, no reward.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post
Here are a few tips;

1. Build your feedback (most people just have more trust in sellers with high feedback rated at 100% positive)

2. If you sell enough to get "top rated seller" status AND you offer 1 day handling and a 14 day return policy you get 20% off your monthly ebay fees. The handling and return policy were just implemented recently.

3. As far as finding inventory, you are on your own. If this were easy, then every one would be starting their own business on ebay. This is one of the main aspects to making money and can be the hardest part.

4. Just as with any business venture; no risk, no reward.
How much do I have to sell for the 20% off? The #1 thing that keeps me from selling alot on ebay is how much they take out of my final value.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had a store of different levels for 2 years and just dumped it completely. I'm pretty much only doing auctions now.

I do find Selling Manager Pro helpful though.

The TSR 20% discount helps a lot.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I guess my issue is Im not sure how much volume I would like to do and how consistently I would do it. What I do not want to do is pay for a membership and end up losing money (or netting the same or less than I would with no discount)

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess my issue is Im not sure how much volume I would like to do and how consistently I would do it. What I do not want to do is pay for a membership and end up losing money (or netting the same or less than I would with no discount)
Base it on what you are doing, not what you think you will do. That's the mistake I made. If you can keep up the high volume for a couple of months, then think about getting the store.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Base it on what you are doing, not what you think you will do. That's the mistake I made. If you can keep up the high volume for a couple of months, then think about getting the store.
Thats pretty solid advice. Thanks man

Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Try Amazon for books. You select the exact title you have from their list, build the order and they pay for shipping. Once they verify the items you receive a store card. Since you can buy just about anything on Amazon it equates to cash. Even if they don't accept an item THEY pay to ship it back.

I bought several study books and after 6 months they offered to buy them back. Pretty good deal.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Try Amazon for books. You select the exact title you have from their list, build the order and they pay for shipping. Once they verify the items you receive a store card. Since you can buy just about anything on Amazon it equates to cash. Even if they don't accept an item THEY pay to ship it back.

I bought several study books and after 6 months they offered to buy them back. Pretty good deal.
I will have to look into that. I have a ton of graduate class books laying around. Thanks for that

Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Tip #1: INVENTORY

You must have a decent inventory, and typically it should be in the hundreds to thousands of items in order to make it worthwhile, unless your items are all $50+, then you can possibly survive with a lower quantity of store listings. You also need to have a refreshing inventory stream. Meaning, you need to have new inventory coming in at least monthly, if not weekly. If you sell off a bunch of items, you'll just have stale leftovers sitting there, people will not want to continually check your store listings.

#2 - LISTING STYLE.

Make sure your listings are clear and precise. If listing lots of low end cards, include card #'s in the title for set builders to search. Putting a picture for every card dramatically increases the possibility of a sale. Your choice on leaving as a BIN or putting as a BIN/obo. I'd prefer the OBO, that way someone can decide to plug in 50 offers on different cards, where it might be worthwhile to take less per card due to the quantity being purchased. Set the listings to auto-cycle.

Test it out for a month or two, see if the revenue is actually worth your time and effort after ALL fees are subtracted. Then compare that profit to the amount of hours you put in. If you're in the red, AXE the store.

I had a store for a while, but it was a pain to keep the inventory going. I personally did not want to go through the ordeal of listing base cards, even in high quantity ... I can't see how it's ever worth the time necessary to input, even with all the 'quick' listing options available. I was in it at first when the store fee was $10/month. After it went up, I bailed.

I had books in my store too, I think I sold MAYBE one for a low offer. Granted they were all obsolete textbooks with newer revisions available, but my store never really gave me a boost over my regular auction listings. Think of eBay store like COMC, but with more expensive fees and better publicity. It really is only for lower end items, or for an actual STORE that creates their own items, and can continue to create their own inventory (ie: hand crafted items, liquidators, etc)

eBay already takes too much money for FVFs, they don't deserve any more!

As for inventory, there are many way to increase inventory...but increasing inventory to PROFIT from is very difficult, otherwise everyone would be doing it!

Really the only way is to buy large collections. Try buying large lots on eBay and see if you can piece them out.

One thing I did notice, you may see some eBay store items such as a Shaq jersey card sell for $15, but at auction it sells for $1.36. A lot of low end game used/autos sell high in store form for some reason. Even mid-range sometimes sells higher.

So all in all, you're better off with low-mid end game used/auto stuff for a store, high end with regular auctions, and low end base directly in the trash can

Last edited by paul06901; 07-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Exactly. A store does not benefit everyone.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly. A store does not benefit everyone.
After reading the Fee Illustrator, its looking like I might fall into this category.

I probably would just want to run auctions. I wouldnt want to haggle for lower/mid end stuff. Plus it looks like those sit for much longer, even when BINs are set at fair prices.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I've been running a small Ebay store on Ebay for about 2-3 years now. The most important thing for an Ebay seller is their feedback. You want to try your best to become a Ebay "top seller." If you reach that status you will be able to receive a discount. It's 20% and honestly it save me a lot when it comes to fees. I would be more then happy to help you out if you have any specific questions, just pm me.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

the amazon buyback thing is awesome.

def. a most for books and they even take old dvds, cds, electronics, etc.

I always sell back my textbooks and stuff to them cause its so easy and they pay for the shipping.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuelle21 View Post
I've been running a small Ebay store on Ebay for about 2-3 years now. The most important thing for an Ebay seller is their feedback. You want to try your best to become a Ebay "top seller." If you reach that status you will be able to receive a discount. It's 20% and honestly it save me a lot when it comes to fees. I would be more then happy to help you out if you have any specific questions, just pm me.
Thats what I was really hoping to get, a way to lower the fees

Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Thats what I was really hoping to get, a way to lower the fees
Keep in mind what I stated earlier. You can't just reach top rated seller status anymore. You also have to offer 1 day handling (not a big deal), and also a 14 money back return policy (huge deal) to get the 20% discount. A lot of people that shop ebay have buyers remorse so if you want to take the chance of tons of returns, then offer the policy.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

We had an ebay store that did well with sports cards, books, records etc. But the fees got totally out of had between ebay and paypal. So we opened out own store. If you buy a domain name & get a hosting account through godaddy, the zencart app is included.

Our store has done great. It will take some time and effort to build your name and credibility, but it's all worth it. We're able to list low end items not have to worry about the high listing ebay fees. It's not easy, but it's worth it.
popculturedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Keep in mind what I stated earlier. You can't just reach top rated seller status anymore. You also have to offer 1 day handling (not a big deal), and also a 14 money back return policy (huge deal) to get the 20% discount. A lot of people that shop ebay have buyers remorse so if you want to take the chance of tons of returns, then offer the policy.
Good point, and its tough enough to not only reach the top-rated seller status but keep it as well. The 14 day money back return policy hasn't been a huge issue for me. I've had a few returns here and there but for the most part it hasn't been out of hand. However, I don't sell a ton of cards either so this may be a problem people experience selling them.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote