Blowout Cards Forums
Hallowwen

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Chanced upon this Article .. Panini suing Leaf over Durant Autographs

Panini Takes Leaf to Court Over Rogue Upper Deck Kevin Durant Autographs | Sports Collectors Daily|Sports collecting news

So leaf was acquiring 750 autographs from UD . so i am lost here .. Panini owns license for basketball . Leaf got a hold of 750 of KDs autographs from UD or whereve they may have obtained it ... so Panini sued Leaf coz

"An email from Panini Memorabilia Business Manager Brian Bayne to Gray indicates that Panini concluded the hologram boosted stickers were signed during Durant's contract with Upper Deck during his first year in the league and should only have been used during that time."

Meaning if Leaf and UD got left over autographs of people under exclusive contract for panini ...they cant use them at all?

im lost ...btw ...did UD fullfill backdated KD Redemptions? if not all then why did they sold the KD autos to lef in the first place hmmmnnnn
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
Panini Takes Leaf to Court Over Rogue Upper Deck Kevin Durant Autographs | Sports Collectors Daily|Sports collecting news

So leaf was acquiring 750 autographs from UD . so i am lost here .. Panini owns license for basketball . Leaf got a hold of 750 of KDs autographs from UD or whereve they may have obtained it ... so Panini sued Leaf coz

"An email from Panini Memorabilia Business Manager Brian Bayne to Gray indicates that Panini concluded the hologram boosted stickers were signed during Durant's contract with Upper Deck during his first year in the league and should only have been used during that time."

Meaning if Leaf and UD got left over autographs of people under exclusive contract for panini ...they cant use them at all?

im lost ...btw ...did UD fullfill backdated KD Redemptions? if not all then why did they sold the KD autos to lef in the first place hmmmnnnn
It comes down to the contract and Panini being exclusive to Durant. Even though the signatures are from 2007-08 Leaf has no legal right to use the autographs, they have "expired" based on his contract with UD. Since Panini now owns said contract, the new Panini contract supersedes the old UD contract.

Also, Panini has to sue someone, they have been sued numerous times already this year. The latest one is because of Durant as well. They have illegally used Durantula since it was copyrighted to another individual already. This is a losing case for Panini and most likely will affect the release of NBA Hoops because cards in the set feature the Durantula nickname. I believe a cease and desist order are already in place.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

more drama
gonygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

That article is from 5 months ago. Are there any updates to this?
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

It's total BS.

In my opinion, I would assume KD has a contract stating he can't sign with anyone else for a certain period.

How can Panini think they have control of previous autographs signed before he was under contract with them? They don't own those autographs, and they don't have a contract with the world stating they are the only one's who can sell Durant autos. They will lose.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I dont blame Leaf for this. I blame UD for this mess.

#1 why are they liquidating autos of a player they no longer have exclusivity to. I mean isnt that was exclusivity means??

#2 why are they selling off stickers when they still have to put out unfulfilled redemptions of Durant?

UD up to its dirty tricks. I cant wait till they finally get busted for fake patches on cards.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I cant wait till they finally get busted for fake patches on cards.
Wow. Isn't it UD that actually states the player wore the memorabilia in a game on 90% of their cards?

Isn't it Panini that doesn't state this on 99% of their cards? If anyone is using non-game worn memorabilia, or sticking Luke Walton patches in Kobe cards....it's Panini.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a huge fan of patch cards as it is because I always have the thought that the player never even touched the piece, which can never be proven, but if anyone is guilty of this, it is the company with the bland verb-age on the backs of their cards.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post
Wow. Isn't it UD that actually states the player wore the memorabilia in a game on 90% of their cards?

Isn't it Panini that doesn't state this on 99% of their cards? If anyone is using non-game worn memorabilia, or sticking Luke Walton patches in Kobe cards....it's Panini.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a huge fan of patch cards as it is because I always have the thought that the player never even touched the piece, which can never be proven, but if anyone is guilty of this, it is the company with the bland verb-age on the backs of their cards.
90% of the cards all say event worn so therefore they arent even game used. But I assure not everything that is stated by UD is true. They have been caught in lies about everything. What makes you think they would not stooop low enough to throw on authenticated patches on cards?

They promised Konami that they werent producing cards behind their back without permission only to be busted by them doing it. They settled once Konami took them to court.

They assured players that they would pay for the autos being signed on cards and stickers. Players like Kareem filed suit because UD never paid him for his sigs.

UD has put wrong patches on wrong players on cards. They even put wrong autos on wrong players. What good is the writing on the back of the card that guarentees you that the front is authentic. Authentic to what? That someone possibly wore it? But no mention of who?

UD guarentees that the player depicited on the front of this card has event worn the jersey infront of a rep? Like the yellow jersey for a raptor? or a red jersey on a Twolves card?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Inactive Account

UD already has an alibi if anyone will take them to court about fake patches and jerseys

all they will say is we got duped ...

remember the memorabilia dealers that fbi caught ... thats UD's excuse if ever theyll get into trouble

Investigating Sports Memorabilia Fraud | Autographed Sports Memorabilia and Sports Collectibles at Sports Memorabilia

Six Sports Memorabilia Dealers Charged With Fraud | Sports Collectors Daily|Sports collecting news
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote