Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven1 View Post
I recently bid on a PWCC auction...It was the Jerry West Number Pieces....It went for way higher than i thought it would...I was the 2nd highest bidder and the winner of the auction is a member here....So i know for a fact that that particular auction wasnt shilled....It was just me and him going at it...Thats the only experience i had with PWCC....Guy seems kool when i pm'd him and said he would accept a Postal Money Order if i won...
I do want to comment, ANY seller would LOVE to get a postal money order. No risk of a BS Paypal fraud chargeback, and no Paypal fees!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #52 (permalink)

Just a quick follow up to some good points/questions raised from other members. I did not mean to accuse the entire message board of slander. We truly feel that the message boards are great for the hobby and is one of the best forms of protection for collectors. As an auction house, we try to stay out of the daily posts because we feel these boards have a right to discuss matters freely.

i) How do we police our bidders:
It is our policy that consignors are not allowed to bid on their own items. We regularly check the bidding to help verify that the bidders are legitimate and expect all buyers to pay in full (meaning the consignor is charged our consignment rates, regardless of the high bidder). I suppose it's possible that a consignor could use a 3rd party account to bid on their own items, but this would be risky and complicated. Such activity would be easy to spot because a single eBay ID would be seen bidding on items only from a specific consignor, etc (we have engines on our website to check these sort of statistics). If discovered, they would loose their ability to consign, still be charged our full consignment rate, and have to ship winnings to a 3rd party address, etc. Though this seems like a stressful and silly practice for very little gain, we watch things closely because we feel it's our job to do so.

ii) Bid manipulation would benefit PWCC financially
On the surface, I understand how it may seem like higher bids would benefit us, but that's only true if the bids are 100% honest. Even then, if an item sells for 20% more, PWCC would make an additional 1% on that item so higher bids do not overly impact our bottom line. To the contrary, bad bidders only serve to create headaches and raise overhead, requiring greater time to relist, more communication with the consignors, complicated records-keeping, delayed bidders, dead-beat bidders, and (most importantly) the appearance of impropriety. We want our auctions free of bid manipulation for moral reasons, but also because bad bidders make our job much harder.

I believe we're all after the same thing here... an honest auction marketplace. On that note, we would very much appreciate the help of this message board in maintaining our clean auction venue. Please forward any user IDs which anyone feels are questionable to me directly. I give you my word we'll investigate the user fully. We do our best to monitor the bid ourselves, but with 2000+ items a month, it is difficult monitor more than the current high bid. A second set of eyes is always appreciated.

Please forward any eBay IDs to: Brent@PWCCAuctions.com

Please be advised that we regularly research bidders who seem questionable and 9 times out of 10 they are just an honest eBay user with strange bidding habits (i.e. bidding 10 times on the same item). I find that the '% bidding with a specific seller' is one of the more powerful tools we have, but this is only a tool is NOT proof of malpractice. We have many bidders who focus primarily upon our auctions for their collecting, and as such may show a higher than typical % of bids with PWCC. That said, bad bidders do exist and we'd very much appreciate the help of the message board to police these matters.

Good luck to everyone with their future collecting efforts.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions
brent@pwccauctions.com
805-440-8903
PWCC Auctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
I do want to comment, ANY seller would LOVE to get a postal money order. No risk of a BS Paypal fraud chargeback, and no Paypal fees!
Not true, cashier checks and money orders are big red flags for me.

1. I have to wait a week or two to find if the seller is really sending the money order. Buyers can say they mailed it, not respond after saying they are paying for the item by money order, or say anything to delay you from taking action against them. This results in your card being tied up for weeks and losing value if you are selling at the time the player is on an up swing.

2. Waiting for the money order/check to clear...They will clear but can come back weeks later if they are fake. Just because money clears in your account doesn't mean it won't comeback at a later date. Cashiers checks are the biggest scam out there. Money orders can be verified with the money order company but still risky.

So, no THIS SELLER, would NOT LOVE to get a paid by money order or checks
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt16 View Post

1. I have to wait a week or two to find if the seller is really sending the money order. Buyers can say they mailed it, not respond after saying they are paying for the item by money order, or say anything to delay you from taking action against them. This results in your card being tied up for weeks and losing value if you are selling at the time the player is on an up swing.

2. Waiting for the money order/check to clear...They will clear but can come back weeks later if they are fake. Just because money clears in your account doesn't mean it won't comeback at a later date. Cashiers checks are the biggest scam out there. Money orders can be verified with the money order company but still risky.

Haha, to each their own!

I've received hundreds of money orders over the past 10+ years...never once a problem.

I've cashed them at my bank, all cleared within one day.

I haven't had even one issue (*knocks on wood*).

But I do understand these days there are risks to EVERYTHING!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #55 (permalink)

Wow, this PWCC is a d-bag. Everyone knows that he shills, just like bigboyd3.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

For large amounts, wouldnt wire transfer make more sense? Its the easiest thing in the world. You call up your bank advisor, tell him you want to wire $xxx into acct # and transit # at this bank. Bam its in your account with a paper trail.

Here in Canada we have a EMT (Email money transfer) between all canadian banks. Flat fee of $1 for sending. $0 to recieve. All you need is a bank account and an email address. Wish more Canadians used it.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

I have a question.

Isn't putting (PWCC) in every auction title spamming?
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
I have a question.

Yes. I don't read that huge blob of text that he types either.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Why are you guys nit picking at stupid things??

This thread is to converse about consignment auctions and the authenticity of bidders.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Why are you guys nit picking at stupid things??

This thread is to converse about consignment auctions and the authenticity of bidders.
Well yeah. We are also saying that he spams his auctions by putting "PWCC" in every auction title.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a question.

I don't think so given he is not misleading potential buyers to his auctions through a deceitful key word like "non auto" or "Exquisite" when it is really SP Authentic, or "Dan Marino" at the end of a David Garrard auction. 99% of the people who type in "PWCC" into the search box are expecting to bring up prewarcardcollector's auctions. Now if he WASN'T prewarcardcollector and was putting PWCC in his auctions that may be borderline spamming....although prewardcardcollector does not own and/or have copyrighted the PWCC acronym, most logical people could interpret and identify the deceitful nature of the unwarranted acronym by a seller other than prewarcardcollector and consider it a form of spamming (this based on the fact that prewarcardcollector has created an association with that acronym and is known to use it in all his listings as a way to create a an identity and of course, a personal stamp on all his auctions)

Last edited by dmogull; 08-14-2012 at 10:46 AM.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
For large amounts, wouldnt wire transfer make more sense? Its the easiest thing in the world. You call up your bank advisor, tell him you want to wire $xxx into acct # and transit # at this bank. Bam its in your account with a paper trail.

Here in Canada we have a EMT (Email money transfer) between all canadian banks. Flat fee of $1 for sending. $0 to recieve. All you need is a bank account and an email address. Wish more Canadians used it.
Yeah that is an easy way to do it but if I want to buy a high end card I can't just throw 3k in my bank and wire it to Japan without my wife cutting my brake lines before I leave for work.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah that is an easy way to do it but if I want to buy a high end card I can't just throw 3k in my bank and wire it to Japan without my wife cutting my brake lines before I leave for work.
agreed, that is about as exposed as you can get from a buying standpoint. unless you really trust the seller, this should be a last resort. there are also sending and receiving fees (about $20-30 on each end). I did one of these for a huge amount on my last deal, but trusted the seller 100% as we had a nice long phone convo and he explained who he was and well known people in the hobby he is associated with and I was even planning on seeing him in the next week at the National.

that being said, when he gave me the express tracking and it came up as not in the system I almost had a heart attack! turns out he switch 1 # by accident and all turned out well, but yea, wire transfers leave you extremely exposed unless you demand the card first and have been known to cause high blood pressure and Myocardial infarctions
Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post

Do you have an attorney on speed dial?

Who is this 'everyone' you speak of?
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you need pictures?

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have more proof than one guy with 18% bidding?
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
I don't think so given he is not misleading potential buyers to his auctions through a deceitful key word like "non auto" or "Exquisite" when it is really SP Authentic, or "Dan Marino" at the end of a David Garrard auction. 99% of the people who type in "PWCC" into the search box are expecting to bring up prewarcardcollector's auctions. Now if he WASN'T prewarcardcollector and was putting PWCC in his auctions that may be borderline spamming....although prewardcardcollector does not own and/or have copyrighted the PWCC acronym, most logical people could interpret and identify the deceitful nature of the unwarranted acronym by a seller other than prewarcardcollector and consider it a form of spamming (this based on the fact that prewarcardcollector has created an association with that acronym and is known to use it in all his listings as a way to create a an identity and of course, a personal stamp on all his auctions)
I just find it a little arrogant and a shady action. That said I don't really mind it but I can only imagine how some people would trash others for doing it. And if someone other then PWCC did it (which would be shady) they would be ruined for it when technically they have more right to do that then put things like non auto etc.

Wonder if someone did it (put pwcc) if their auction would sell better. Lol
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
I just find it a little arrogant and a shady action. That said I don't really mind it but I can only imagine how some people would trash others for doing it. And if someone other then PWCC did it (which would be shady) they would be ruined for it when technically they have more right to do that then put things like non auto etc.

Wonder if someone did it (put pwcc) if their auction would sell better. Lol
I'm confused. Why is it shady to make it even easier for your customers to find you? Would anyone be searching pwcc except for those actually looking for pwcc? I'm not trying to be a smart a@@. I just don't understand the logic.

The part that really confuses me though, is where you say they have more right to use pwcc instead "non-auto", etc... My personal opinion would be that trying to make people think you're something your not would be just as bad if not worse than "non-auto", "ebay 1/1", or "Peyton's teammate".
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Then why bother even making comments in this thread?
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
I'm confused. Why is it shady to make it even easier for your customers to find you? Would anyone be searching pwcc except for those actually looking for pwcc? I'm not trying to be a smart a@@. I just don't understand the logic.

The part that really confuses me though, is where you say they have more right to use pwcc instead "non-auto", etc... My personal opinion would be that trying to make people think you're something your not would be just as bad if not worse than "non-auto", "ebay 1/1", or "Peyton's teammate".
They are spamming their auctions in search results. If you want to search all onf sellers items go to that seller. It's not that hard.

They are calling attention to their auctions whether or not you search it.

I have just as much a right to add PWCC to my auction title as they do.

Should every seller add their username to their titles?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
They are spamming their auctions in search results. If you want to search all onf sellers items go to that seller. It's not that hard.

They are calling attention to their auctions whether or not you search it.

I have just as much a right to add PWCC to my auction title as they do.

Should every seller add their username to their titles?
Makes no sense...who cares if they put PWCC in the auction titles. I don't care what they put in the title, if I want the card I will bid on it.

I rather them put PWCC (something that nobody will search unless they are looking for PWCC auctions) then "the next Michael Jordan" or "Kobe's teammate" or the stupid box break auctions. I think the guy is legit.

I have him saved on my seller search because the guy always has sick cards. I am sure a lot of people do. If/when I decide to sell my Timeless Memories set I am going to use him.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Makes no sense...who cares if they put PWCC in the auction titles. I don't care what they put in the title, if I want the card I will bid on it.

I rather them put PWCC (something that nobody will search unless they are looking for PWCC auctions) then "the next Michael Jordan" or "Kobe's teammate" or the stupid box break auctions. I think the guy is legit.

I have him saved on my seller search because the guy always has sick cards. I am sure a lot of people do. If/when I decide to sell my Timeless Memories set I am going to use him.
I never said the guy isnt legit.

My point is it is basically the same thing as the next Jordan non auto etc etc.

So you have no problem if every seller added their username to every auction?
Also am I allowed to put PWCC?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
I never said the guy isnt legit.

My point is it is basically the same thing as the next Jordan non auto etc etc.

So you have no problem if every seller added their username to every auction?
Also am I allowed to put PWCC?
No, I would not care if people put their username in the title...I don't search user names....I search the names of players or titles of cards.

If somebody put their username in their title it is only taking up room...unless you build up enough of a following that people would search your user name.

The only people searching "PWCC" are the people who want to find his auctions. Really is that simple. If he put Michael Jordan auto in every card listed then that is a problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, the email transfer is great. For those with whom I deal regularly, I use this option all the time.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No, I would not care if people put their username in the title...I don't search user names....I search the names of players or titles of cards.

If somebody put their username in their title it is only taking up room...unless you build up enough of a following that people would search your user name.

The only people searching "PWCC" are the people who want to find his auctions. Really is that simple. If he put Michael Jordan auto in every card listed then that is a problem.
You just contradicted yourself.

There a reason you can save a seller and can view sellers other items or even search for a seller.

It woul be quite obnoxious if everytime you searched for something the sellers username was plastered in title. Just as non auto Jordan teammate etc etc are annoying so can PWCC.

If I search Kobe auto do I want to see someone's username or acronym? If I did I would search that.

To me it's a sketchy arrogant way of advertising and straddling the blurred line. Is it a big deal? No not really but that doesn't mean it right.