Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Shiller alert prewarcardcollector

Bidding Details

high bidder bid on 1000 auctions so 18 percent mean he bid on a 180 items of the seller . what a joke
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not to mention the 30 fb of the winner and they're bidding on 1000+ items?

And the bids appear to be in a mechanical-like sequence.

I wonder if prewar has created shilling bots masked within an eBay ID?

They seem like one of the sketchiest eBay card dealers out there ... I have no idea how the government would not be investigating them, possibly auditing them, given the fact they sell what seems like $100k worth of cards every week.

I know they sell consignment, but this shilling is so blatant and it's essentially STEALING! Whether it's them physically doing it, having someone randomly associated with them do it for them, or having a client do this for them.
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

jeremy lin jersey card going for 150? wow. dont get me wrong. he's got game. he is a decent player. but he's not as good as linsanity made him out to be. wait until he is in houston. it'll show the truth.
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I bought one card from them about 8 months ago and felt I was shill bid up to almost my maximum. I set a higher max bid than I should have, and the card sold for more than it probably ever will again. I paid for it anyways, but I will never buy from them again. Never.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Not to mention the 30 fb of the winner and they're bidding on 1000+ items?
This was my very first thought as well.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes..He definitely shills and shill bid at the last second too. I was given a "second chance offer" on an item of theirs a few months ago.
mageq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

His auctions are setup to get the max, and to milk those deep pocket guys that dont care that they ruin the prices for everyone else
Old 08-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ebitz

this would explain why he is always getting above market prices!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got some cards at very reasonable prices from them before
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
When you sell 1000s of cards a few are bound to slip through the cracks LOL

But in all fairness, I have bid on maybe 100 items from them, won only twice.
And I had some pretty high bids also, or so I thought
Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think they started off legit with great sales due to a lot of attention by selling a lot of nice cards.

But soon they realized that, as a business, they could maximize their profits by shilling the auctions blatanly, and eBay has a monstrous loophole which allows this.

They now are taking advantage of that loophole, and in turn taking advantage of their customers.

Greed.

Corruption.

Criminalistic behavior ... how these guy's, and other shillers/scammers on eBay aren't being taken more seriously by the law and eBay, is beyond me...

eBay ... you LOVE your customers so much, you LOVE your buyers ... do something about this, because you're letting your beloved buyers have their pockets picked by scumbags like prewar
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
Me too. I love his monthly auctions. I probably bid on 500-800 of his auctions each month. I think many people do. I scroll through all of his listings and place bids. I win 10-15 cards each month from him. I've never 'overpaid'.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Me too. I love his monthly auctions. I probably bid on 500-800 of his auctions each month. I think many people do. I scroll through all of his listings and place bids. I win 10-15 cards each month from him. I've never 'overpaid'.

10/15 out of 500-800 isn't that good of a % haha , how can you justify all of that time it takes to bid though if you're not winning any?

I know you don't lowball, so I'm assuming your placing great bids ... but if your winning % is so astronomically low ... you don't expect any foul play going on?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateadams2 View Post
hahahahahahahahhahahaha

jeremy lin jersey card going for 150? wow. dont get me wrong. he's got game. he is a decent player. but he's not as good as linsanity made him out to be. wait until he is in houston. it'll show the truth.
The harsh reality is, Lin was a flash in the pan. Seems like a nice dude though
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

of course they're shilled.

you think people would honestly keep sending their cards to him if they'd get the same or LESS than ebay market value + his own cut? They'd just list the cards themselves and make more.

Just common sense.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

No way!!! Aren't these the guys who sell Jordans for "record prices"? It can't be! I thought all the sales were legit and Jordan prices were going CRAZY!!! smh
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
10/15 out of 500-800 isn't that good of a % haha , how can you justify all of that time it takes to bid though if you're not winning any?

I know you don't lowball, so I'm assuming your placing great bids ... but if your winning % is so astronomically low ... you don't expect any foul play going on?
I place reasonable bids, not necessarily market, but what I would pay if I won. I do it more of a stress reliever between work and school.

I probably only win about 0.5% of the items I bid on. I do win lots of crazy cards that I place a low bid on never expecting to win...but willing to pay if I should.

I don't bid on Michael Jordan cards. I've never cared for him or his cards.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

This was a topic exactly one week ago
Interesting...

Not trying to get in a flame war with anyone or bring unneeded drama, but before calling people names, try to have actual proof before running names (and business) through the dirt.

Im not saying he is legit or not, however from my own experience, I cosigned with him (I did not bid on any of my own cards) and also bought from him and very happy on both ends. I am currently bidding on many of his current auctions.

I would think finding proof would serve the board well. However there are plenty of reasons why someone would have high bidding %. Im sure anyone would expect the same of others upon themselves.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
of course they're shilled.

you think people would honestly keep sending their cards to him if they'd get the same or LESS than ebay market value + his own cut? They'd just list the cards themselves and make more.

Just common sense.
Not really. You pay for the convenience. Many collectors have no interest in selling and dealing with the nuances. Just read all the selling questions on this site.

I've sold items for my family because they don't care to learn the system, so they would rather someone else do it.

Look at any pawn shop or auction house. People don't care to do the work and gladly pay a fee for someone else to shoulder the process.

The seller sends me a monthly email advertising his auctions. He has a great business plan and it works for him. Loyalty is a great marketing strategy (sorry, I have a Marketing Management final tomorrow).
Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

We usually refrain from interjecting in these forums because we believe that they provide just the kind of check-and-balance that the hobby needs. When the discussion moves towards accusation, I do feel inclined to set the record straight.

The claims that our auction house artificially raises bids by paul06901 and others are unfounded and verge on slander. Actually, our practices are quite the contrary.

We believe that eBay is the best forum to host auctions due to the privacy of the eBay platform. While other auction houses have their own in-house software with no oversight, eBay’s software is as transparent to the buyer as it is to the seller. In other words, we don’t know the value of buyer’s max bid nor do our consignors or anyone else. We do NOT permit shill bidding of any kind, and we do NOT permit our consignors to bid on their own items. We actively police our auctions, and if we learn that a bid is questionable, we will take action in the form of cancelling the bid or even blocking a bidder from participating in any future auctions. Bidders with low feedback are contacted in advance, and if we can not confirm that they are serious bidders, their bid will be cancelled.

In addition to the moral objection and the inherent impracticality of shill bidding (on eBay), PWCC is strictly a consignment-based auction house, making a small percentage on each sale, and therefore realizes no financial gain from bid manipulation. To the contrary, such action would only create stress due to greater numbers of unpaid items, relisted items, and frustrated honest bidders. As a fellow collector in the hobby, I would rather be out of business than to engage in dishonest acts that strip the hobby of its foundation.

Our business has been built over the past 15 years by slowly establishing a base of regular clients, by driving efficiency into our processes so we can offer consignors lower rates, and by insisting on honesty and integrity. Clearly, as we’ve grown into new markets, folks question the means by which we garner the bids we do. I would be pleased to discuss any concerns that the hobby may have, and encourage posters on these and other message boards to contact me directly. Nobody cares more about the integrity of our auctions than I.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions
brent@pwccauctions.com
805-440-8903
PWCC Auctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Whenever anything less that glowing praise is spewed about PWCC over on the PSA Boards it get's deleted.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Whos the snitch?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

I have just one question.

I understand ..
Quote:
We do NOT permit shill bidding of any kind, and we do NOT permit our consignors to bid on their own items
. How do you safeguard against the owners from bidding or have someone they know bid on their behalf to create an assumption of a shill bid? Is this just a policy that you hope they all adhere to, or is there a full proof system you have to make sure it doesnt happen?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

after seeing thread after thread like this I'm skeptical about every auction

there are so many times I'm bidding on something then lose out and it's relisted as BIN/BO
mos2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCC Auctions View Post

The claims that our auction house artificially raises bids by paul06901 and others are unfounded and verge on slander. Actually, our practices are quite the contrary.
When are people going to learn that slander is NOT the same as libel? Slander is spoken, libel is written.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote