Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Basketball....the last team sport America dominates?

Ok, by making this thread I can already foresee some comments against me, but hear me out.

Baseball: American's Pastime.....BUT, in the World baseball classic, let's be honest they have been BAD! Furthermore, Japan, Cuba, and Dominican Republic can all be argued to have better teams..... especially D.R.

Football: This isn't really worth discussing since NOBODY outside North America even plays it. I LOVE football, it's still my favorite sport and it really is "America's game", but that's because no one else plays it.

Hockey: IT's all Canada.....the Miracle on Ice was great, but the best players are from Canada, no doubt about it.

Soccer: LOL, the women are great, but the men still have a long way to go.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I think its just basketball and women's soccer
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

beach volleyball is a team sport.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Soccer: LOL, the women are great, but the men still have a long way to go.
The situation we're in soccer-wise (at least for the men) is like other countries are in basketball.

It's not our country's main sport but we're improving, while much of the world lives on soccer so they have the advantage already.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

men's swimming relays?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
beach volleyball is a team sport.
Haha, I guess, the U.S men failed to win a medal though.

But the women did in fact dominate getting Gold and Silver.

Basketball however is dominated by both men and women.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
The situation we're in soccer-wise (at least for the men) is like other countries are in basketball.

It's not our country's main sport but we're improving, while much of the world lives on soccer so they have the advantage already.
Agreed, and I'm one of the few that looks forward to seeing the U.S improve in Men's soccer.

It might take years, but I do believe in the future we'll be able to compete if we keep developing good players like Donovan.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

The US is 25-11-2 in the Ryder Cup. Not a 100% team sport though.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha, I guess, the U.S men failed to win a medal though.

But the women did in fact dominate getting Gold and Silver.

Basketball however is dominated by both men and women.
you are infact right, basketball is dominated by both men and women. The olympics are just about finished and I cant wait to see what happens in RIO
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
you are infact right, basketball is dominated by both men and women. The olympics are just about finished and I cant wait to see what happens in RIO
i'm super excited to see who the next USA coach is and what players develop for the 2016 games. PG alone should be a hotly contested position as long as guys stay healthy you'd have to pick from CP3, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, Rajon Rondo, and maybe even John Wall and Brandon Jennings. outside of Kobe not playing, the rest of this year's team should be considered, and if you include injured guys, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Blake Griffin, plus potential younger guys getting better like Aldridge, Cousins, and Bynum. Hell, some high schoolers now could come in and take the league by storm and be considered like Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, the Harrison twins... The selection process for 2016 should be extremely fun to watch.

i have hopes that sometime in my life the USA men's soccer team actually becomes a threat to win the World Cup.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jin

They didn't even dominate basketball today!

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Jack Passion reps the USA in the beard competitions.
World Beard and Moustache Championships? - The Official Site
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

If every country played American Football like they do boring Soccer Football(IMO).... We would still crush them.

I never even heard of the world baseball classic? Who picks the players that play on the USA team? I'd imagine alot of the guys making 100+million are not even allowed to play, Just like they are trying to stop the big money NBA players from playing in the Olympics....

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

boring soccer haha!

At least we know America will always dominate in ignorance!

Last edited by 1eyed_jack; 08-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I like every sport

But if you call soccer boring, I wonder what baseball is considered?

Nap time?

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
I like every sport

Nap time?
Soccer and baseball are unbearable to me.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Soccer and baseball are boring. But i enjoy watching bay area home teams, sometimes.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
I like every sport

Nap time?
Very good point!

And the people who call Soccer boring are just wrong.....although they need to score more.

BTW, to be perfectly honest baseball is probably the most boring sport mentioned on here.

That doesn't mean it's bad, but there is very little action and it can get unbearable.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

im not the biggest soccer fan, i think because i don't have a team to get into and i just have never been into it...but thats probably the reason its boring to me...if i was really into it it wouldnt be boring lol...but i can see why people like it.

baseball gets a bad rap - there is plenty of action! not like slam dunks and large explosions, but if you are into the game as much as some of us, its a constant chess match (when there is a decent pitcher pitching lol). every pitch is exciting when you're into it! wondering what pitch will be thrown next, what approach the hitter will take, what approach the managers will take...and then it makes it even more exciting when someone smacks it over the fence or clears the bases...
idk, for me baseball is extremely exciting lol...even being a mets fan! and going to the ball park is the best. everything about it. when the mets are in it (not so often lol) there is nothing better than getting to watch your team almost every day! thats honestly the best part about it, they play all the time! never a break - constant entertainment! except for when they suck, when its constant agony lol
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
im not the biggest soccer fan, i think because i don't have a team to get into and i just have never been into it...but thats probably the reason its boring to me...if i was really into it it wouldnt be boring lol...but i can see why people like it.

baseball gets a bad rap - there is plenty of action! not like slam dunks and large explosions, but if you are into the game as much as some of us, its a constant chess match (when there is a decent pitcher pitching lol). every pitch is exciting when you're into it! wondering what pitch will be thrown next, what approach the hitter will take, what approach the managers will take...and then it makes it even more exciting when someone smacks it over the fence or clears the bases...
idk, for me baseball is extremely exciting lol...even being a mets fan! and going to the ball park is the best. everything about it. when the mets are in it (not so often lol) there is nothing better than getting to watch your team almost every day! thats honestly the best part about it, they play all the time! never a break - constant entertainment! except for when they suck, when its constant agony lol

But that's the same for soccer. People only want to see goals, but it's also a lot of strategy. Just because the score is 0-0 you can still get a feel for which team has been able to create better opportunities and which team will likely be able to break through and wear down the opponent.

People think just because a game ends 1-0 it's boring or stupid, but it's so exciting because at any moment the game can change.

I recommend people try and find a way to watch the US women's game against Canada. That such an epic match, bad calls aside, it was certainly exciting
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I went to a baseball game this year an it ended in 12th on walk off homerun. And let me tell you it was BORING. Haha

Only baseball I can stand is playoff baseball. Regular season baseball is terrible.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlow View Post
I never even heard of the world baseball classic? Who picks the players that play on the USA team? I'd imagine alot of the guys making 100+million are not even allowed to play, Just like they are trying to stop the big money NBA players from playing in the Olympics....
The last one included Ichiro, Adrian Gonzalez, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, David Wright, Ryan Braun, Miguel Cabrera, David Ortiz, Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes and Carlos Lee, among others.

I don't think there was a concerted effort to keep any stars from playing, but they did put limits on pitch counts to try preventing injury.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

The world has no chance against us in football! we would win gold silver bronze platinum copper tin foil etc.
gordo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo33 View Post
The world has no chance against us in football! we would win gold silver bronze platinum copper tin foil etc.
True, but the bigger issue is that nobody outside of our countries (US and Canada) really cares.

I'd love to see it extend its global popularity, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, and I'm one of the few that looks forward to seeing the U.S improve in Men's soccer.

It might take years, but I do believe in the future we'll be able to compete if we keep developing good players like Donovan.
...and Dempsey and Howard etc etc.
The US have a decent squad, unfortunately there is too much sporting competition so people go to baseball, football, basketball etc. Countries where is is a major sport should always do better, but it is encouraging to see the US improve in it. You just need some good funding and youth development, and enough people interested in playing from a young age.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote