Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
alexcampos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,829
Default Basketball....the last team sport America dominates?

Ok, by making this thread I can already foresee some comments against me, but hear me out.


Baseball: American's Pastime.....BUT, in the World baseball classic, let's be honest they have been BAD! Furthermore, Japan, Cuba, and Dominican Republic can all be argued to have better teams..... especially D.R.

Football: This isn't really worth discussing since NOBODY outside North America even plays it. I LOVE football, it's still my favorite sport and it really is "America's game", but that's because no one else plays it.

Hockey: IT's all Canada.....the Miracle on Ice was great, but the best players are from Canada, no doubt about it.

Soccer: LOL, the women are great, but the men still have a long way to go.
__________________
1997 2003 2006 2012 2013
***Lifetime Miami Sports fan (Heat, Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, Hurricanes, and FIU Panthers)***
alexcampos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,357
Default

I think its just basketball and women's soccer
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
XARZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 3,809
Default

beach volleyball is a team sport.
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Soccer: LOL, the women are great, but the men still have a long way to go.
The situation we're in soccer-wise (at least for the men) is like other countries are in basketball.

It's not our country's main sport but we're improving, while much of the world lives on soccer so they have the advantage already.
__________________
If you put “the” and “IRS” together, it spells “theirs”.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
dmogull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 3,888
Default

men's swimming relays?
__________________
Currently looking for MJ Exquisite GU autos
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
alexcampos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
beach volleyball is a team sport.
Haha, I guess, the U.S men failed to win a medal though.

But the women did in fact dominate getting Gold and Silver.

Basketball however is dominated by both men and women.
__________________
1997 2003 2006 2012 2013
***Lifetime Miami Sports fan (Heat, Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, Hurricanes, and FIU Panthers)***
alexcampos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
alexcampos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
The situation we're in soccer-wise (at least for the men) is like other countries are in basketball.

It's not our country's main sport but we're improving, while much of the world lives on soccer so they have the advantage already.
Agreed, and I'm one of the few that looks forward to seeing the U.S improve in Men's soccer.

It might take years, but I do believe in the future we'll be able to compete if we keep developing good players like Donovan.
__________________
1997 2003 2006 2012 2013
***Lifetime Miami Sports fan (Heat, Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, Hurricanes, and FIU Panthers)***
alexcampos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
MI Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,889
Default

The US is 25-11-2 in the Ryder Cup. Not a 100% team sport though.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
XARZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Haha, I guess, the U.S men failed to win a medal though.

But the women did in fact dominate getting Gold and Silver.

Basketball however is dominated by both men and women.
you are infact right, basketball is dominated by both men and women. The olympics are just about finished and I cant wait to see what happens in RIO
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
screamingdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
you are infact right, basketball is dominated by both men and women. The olympics are just about finished and I cant wait to see what happens in RIO
i'm super excited to see who the next USA coach is and what players develop for the 2016 games. PG alone should be a hotly contested position as long as guys stay healthy you'd have to pick from CP3, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, Rajon Rondo, and maybe even John Wall and Brandon Jennings. outside of Kobe not playing, the rest of this year's team should be considered, and if you include injured guys, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Blake Griffin, plus potential younger guys getting better like Aldridge, Cousins, and Bynum. Hell, some high schoolers now could come in and take the league by storm and be considered like Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, the Harrison twins... The selection process for 2016 should be extremely fun to watch.

i have hopes that sometime in my life the USA men's soccer team actually becomes a threat to win the World Cup.
__________________
Huh?
screamingdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jin
Member
 
Jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: University of Illinois @ Urbana
Posts: 2,788
Default

They didn't even dominate basketball today!
__________________
JINSUNITED

TAKE A PEEK ~ I COLLECT STAR PATCHES AND AUTOS
http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/JinsUnited/Basketball%20Collection/
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,491
Default

Jack Passion reps the USA in the beard competitions.
World Beard and Moustache Championships? - The Official Site
__________________
The righteous pay a sacrifice to get what they deserve.
thor_rider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeFlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,973
Default

If every country played American Football like they do boring Soccer Football(IMO).... We would still crush them.


I never even heard of the world baseball classic? Who picks the players that play on the USA team? I'd imagine alot of the guys making 100+million are not even allowed to play, Just like they are trying to stop the big money NBA players from playing in the Olympics....
__________________
Check my bucket. TONS of Mid-High End FT/FS.
http://s1107.photobucket.com/home/wiidiis/index

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,450
Default

boring soccer haha!

At least we know America will always dominate in ignorance!

Last edited by 1eyed_jack; 08-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
MikeMamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,933
Default

I like every sport

But if you call soccer boring, I wonder what baseball is considered?

Nap time?
__________________
Ed Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Davis PC --> http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/MikeMamba/Ed%20Davis%20PC/
MikeMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
MI Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
I like every sport

But if you call soccer boring, I wonder what baseball is considered?

Nap time?
Soccer and baseball are unbearable to me.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,706
Default

Soccer and baseball are boring. But i enjoy watching bay area home teams, sometimes.
__________________
COLLECTING 96-97 SKYBOX AUTOGRAPHICS BASKETBALL
carl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
alexcampos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMamba View Post
I like every sport

But if you call soccer boring, I wonder what baseball is considered?

Nap time?
Very good point!

And the people who call Soccer boring are just wrong.....although they need to score more.

BTW, to be perfectly honest baseball is probably the most boring sport mentioned on here.

That doesn't mean it's bad, but there is very little action and it can get unbearable.
__________________
1997 2003 2006 2012 2013
***Lifetime Miami Sports fan (Heat, Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, Hurricanes, and FIU Panthers)***
alexcampos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Knicker_Please's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,897
Default

im not the biggest soccer fan, i think because i don't have a team to get into and i just have never been into it...but thats probably the reason its boring to me...if i was really into it it wouldnt be boring lol...but i can see why people like it.

baseball gets a bad rap - there is plenty of action! not like slam dunks and large explosions, but if you are into the game as much as some of us, its a constant chess match (when there is a decent pitcher pitching lol). every pitch is exciting when you're into it! wondering what pitch will be thrown next, what approach the hitter will take, what approach the managers will take...and then it makes it even more exciting when someone smacks it over the fence or clears the bases...
idk, for me baseball is extremely exciting lol...even being a mets fan! and going to the ball park is the best. everything about it. when the mets are in it (not so often lol) there is nothing better than getting to watch your team almost every day! thats honestly the best part about it, they play all the time! never a break - constant entertainment! except for when they suck, when its constant agony lol
__________________
TRADING KNICKS TICKETS FOR CARDS!!
www.photobucket.com/knickerpleasenba
Iman Shumpert super collector
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
im not the biggest soccer fan, i think because i don't have a team to get into and i just have never been into it...but thats probably the reason its boring to me...if i was really into it it wouldnt be boring lol...but i can see why people like it.

baseball gets a bad rap - there is plenty of action! not like slam dunks and large explosions, but if you are into the game as much as some of us, its a constant chess match (when there is a decent pitcher pitching lol). every pitch is exciting when you're into it! wondering what pitch will be thrown next, what approach the hitter will take, what approach the managers will take...and then it makes it even more exciting when someone smacks it over the fence or clears the bases...
idk, for me baseball is extremely exciting lol...even being a mets fan! and going to the ball park is the best. everything about it. when the mets are in it (not so often lol) there is nothing better than getting to watch your team almost every day! thats honestly the best part about it, they play all the time! never a break - constant entertainment! except for when they suck, when its constant agony lol

But that's the same for soccer. People only want to see goals, but it's also a lot of strategy. Just because the score is 0-0 you can still get a feel for which team has been able to create better opportunities and which team will likely be able to break through and wear down the opponent.

People think just because a game ends 1-0 it's boring or stupid, but it's so exciting because at any moment the game can change.

I recommend people try and find a way to watch the US women's game against Canada. That such an epic match, bad calls aside, it was certainly exciting
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,606
Default

I went to a baseball game this year an it ended in 12th on walk off homerun. And let me tell you it was BORING. Haha

Only baseball I can stand is playoff baseball. Regular season baseball is terrible.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ridgeway, ON
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlow View Post
I never even heard of the world baseball classic? Who picks the players that play on the USA team? I'd imagine alot of the guys making 100+million are not even allowed to play, Just like they are trying to stop the big money NBA players from playing in the Olympics....
The last one included Ichiro, Adrian Gonzalez, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, David Wright, Ryan Braun, Miguel Cabrera, David Ortiz, Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes and Carlos Lee, among others.

I don't think there was a concerted effort to keep any stars from playing, but they did put limits on pitch counts to try preventing injury.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
gordo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,241
Default

The world has no chance against us in football! we would win gold silver bronze platinum copper tin foil etc.
gordo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ridgeway, ON
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo33 View Post
The world has no chance against us in football! we would win gold silver bronze platinum copper tin foil etc.
True, but the bigger issue is that nobody outside of our countries (US and Canada) really cares.

I'd love to see it extend its global popularity, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcampos View Post
Agreed, and I'm one of the few that looks forward to seeing the U.S improve in Men's soccer.

It might take years, but I do believe in the future we'll be able to compete if we keep developing good players like Donovan.
...and Dempsey and Howard etc etc.
The US have a decent squad, unfortunately there is too much sporting competition so people go to baseball, football, basketball etc. Countries where is is a major sport should always do better, but it is encouraging to see the US improve in it. You just need some good funding and youth development, and enough people interested in playing from a young age.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.