Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question eBay Issue, Australians can't bid?

G'day!

I just received this message after letting this member know he may bid on my auction:

"Hello Paul,
I tried to place a bid upon this item but it comes up "Not available to Australia"
How can we get around this problem?
Please let me know"

I haven't made any changes to my buyer settings in 10+ years, other than blocking a few members.

I sure hope this isn't affecting other bids!

Anyone know how/where I can make this change?

Thanks!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

shipping options?
that would be my guess
XARZY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

at the bottom of the listing after clicking edit listing, there should be an area to select places to ship to. It would usually say ship to the US and these following countries and you'd have to check the boxes.
patchgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm, that's the weird thing. For the past 10+ years I've set my auctions to say "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" In the auction itself, I say to email me first if you are international and would like to bid. This has helped me eliminate non-payers from overseas, they usually won't take the time to ask if they really aren't interested in paying for the card in the first place. But I never had to do anything to allow them to bid, they could bid even if they didn't ask me, but because the eBay shipping details say "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING", most legit buyers usually would ask first (unless they were repeat customers).

I just sold another card to Germany last week, for example, and I looked at the shipping details and they are identical to this auction being referred to here? The German winner in this auction had no issues bidding and winning, and his eBay address is in Germany!

Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are your auctions set to ship worldwide?
Or maybe the specific country isn't selected if you have a list of selected international locations. Maybe you've blocked 'oceania' which excludes NZ and Aus from bidding. Or maybe ebay is just retarded and screwing you over - happened to my mate - he listed a card, had several messages from people saying they were blocked (when they shouldn't have been), asked the buyer if he could relist because of this and the buyer negged him. So he lost money and got a negative because people who should have been able to bid couldn't. Ebay at its finest...
hairyangryfella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can select to block certain countries from bidding. I would check your settings.
lb_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Are your auctions set to ship worldwide?
Or maybe the specific country isn't selected if you have a list of selected international locations. Maybe you've blocked 'oceania' which excludes NZ and Aus from bidding. Or maybe ebay is just retarded and screwing you over - happened to my mate - he listed a card, had several messages from people saying they were blocked (when they shouldn't have been), asked the buyer if he could relist because of this and the buyer negged him. So he lost money and got a negative because people who should have been able to bid couldn't. Ebay at its finest...
Where would I see that? I mean, I haven't made any changes to anything in 10+ years and I've shipped all over the world, almost every continent and major country. I could understand your point, but where would I see that?

I wouldn't want a situation like mate's to happen here, I like making my items available to everyone in every country!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Where would I see that? I mean, I haven't made any changes to anything in 10+ years and I've shipped all over the world, almost every continent and major country. I could understand your point, but where would I see that?

I wouldn't want a situation like mate's to happen here, I like making my items available to everyone in every country!
Not sure, I don't have an ebay account so I'm no expert, but from memory I'd say look carefully around the shipping costs and options etc etc and there must be something there. Make sure you have costs available to worldwide and no countries are excluded (unless you want certain ones blocked).
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Where would I see that? I mean, I haven't made any changes to anything in 10+ years
Also to this point - I asked a seller to list something for me once and had my paypal address as the payment one.
A while later I started getting payments for a bunch of things I had no idea about. For NO REASON, ebay picked up MY paypal address as the seller payment address, despite it having been changed back to his for every auction since the one he listed for me. Ebay is stupid...
Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

On the listing page, there are 2 shipping sections. 1 for US and 1 for worldwide. If you don't setup to ship worldwide and then you setup not to let people in countries you dont ship to bid, then they cant bid.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have had this problem when trying to bid on US auctions

From memory, I only had the issue when I was using the eBay mobile app, not the full site. Maybe that is what the buyer is doing?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Buyer requirements..... Check them. That is where you select to block international buyers.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

My buyer requirements and shipping sections are both the same as they have been for the last 10+ years.

I have my shipping section on my auction pages for International set up for NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING, but I've had HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of international buyers bid and win auctions of mine over the past 10 years without ANY issues.

Why this one buyer, and all of a sudden this one time?

I did message him re: the possibility of using a mobile device to bid, so we'll see on that...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

So don't check your buyer requirements then and just keep repeating yourself.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post
So don't check your buyer requirements then and just keep repeating yourself.
I did check them, they are exactly the same as they have been for the past 10 years...there is nothing checked off, and it shows as 'NONE'
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Call ebay. You could have had an answer by now. The only other thing you can try is to add that buyer to your exception list. This list bypasses all of your various requirements.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't know if it is still the case as I haven't looked yet, but it used to be that you could allow a bidder to bid on your auctions even if they fall into one of your disallow categories.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Buyer/Bidder Management

Link to the exemptions is on the bottom of the page I linked to.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

If they were blocked because of buyer requirements they probably wouldn't be able to contact you - that's one of the options when blocking bidders. So who knows what's going on. I reckon it's just ebay being stupid, as I said before...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
If they were blocked because of buyer requirements they probably wouldn't be able to contact you - that's one of the options when blocking bidders. So who knows what's going on. I reckon it's just ebay being stupid, as I said before...
Wrong here. If you put them on your blocked bidders list AND check the box in your requirements not allowing them to contact you, then they can't. However, blocking international bidders does NOT block them from emailing you. I always get emails from international people asking to bid on my items. If I agree to deal with them, I just add them to my exemption list.