Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Paninis quality/creative issues only a problem with basketball?

Im really starting to think that the product management side of Paninis basketball brand might be the problem with the lack luster product they seem to put out.

They have had some decent design but it seems like they only come too far and few inbetween. Either the guys in charge of basketball are all dull and unmotivated or they just dont have taste.

Check out these hockey products coming out by Panini. Seems like they are using foil borders, clean sigs in proper areas. Just a great basic design.

Then KABLAM... a boring redesign of basketball again...

Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Truthfully, I don't see why a separate design team is even needed. A card is a card.

I have thought this for the past few years. Even their football product designs are better than anything they release in basketball. In basketball, we are lucky to even get the player name in foil.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I know they have a brand management team for each sport. Just seems like the talents lack in the basketball side in recent times.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

First of all, if you're going to make a comparison, at least do it with similar cards and not pick and choose. Second, Panini sucks, end of story.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
First of all, if you're going to make a comparison, at least do it with similar cards and not pick and choose. Second, Panini sucks, end of story.
Panini sucks...I agree. However, it really doesn't matter which cards he picks for comparison, because 99% of the basketball product that has been put out by Panini doesn't compare to those Hockey cards.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree Orange, even their baseball products are superior to any of the last three years of basketball products. Sure they have had some unique sets but overall, everything was a failure or a redesign of past card series that don't even look better than the originals. If only we had those hockey cards for National Treasures I would be happy...
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have a problem with panini designs I just wish that they would hurry up and start releasing their basketball products. I also wish that other companies such as topps and UD were allowed to make nba cards.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I believe this is because Panini does not have exclusive license in hockey like they do in basketball.

All about competition...
Hamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

how much more money did pananni offer over everybody else to the NBA.

You would figure it would have to have been a lot for the NBA to just drop a long time partner like topps and UD.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

The pics need to match up...your examples are from a high end Hockey product and a lower end Basketball product.... 2 completely diffrent cards IMHO
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
The pics need to match up...your examples are from a high end Hockey product and a lower end Basketball product.... 2 completely diffrent cards IMHO
Nothing in Panini's highend National Treasures is comparable to those Hockey designs.

I 100% agree, zero competition means Panini can keep pumping out cheap designs and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Sucks
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

While I only grabbed the pics from the latest panini blog, there is a product/brand disparity. But my comparison wasnt towards products/brand. It was more or less to show that the technology on using foil etching and attractive design does exists. None of which are used for basketball.

Many UD collectors advocate that their attraction towards high end UD was due to the the use of foil technology. We have seen none of it used in basketball. Above pics are an example that Panini has access to using foil etching. Yet all basketball products lack it? Why? We know they have the ability but the design team chooses not to use it.

Basketball high end has seen the use of window cut autos. THe hockey design for high end does not use such a frame that could possibly cut off autos. When spending a ton of money on high end, you would expect a bit of vigilance to style and quality. Gold standard didnt show it. Black box didnt show it.

It also seems that their high end hockey doesnt carry sticker autos especially for high end 1/1s of sheilds which are compariable to logomans in basketball. Windows are clean with sheilds places accurately.

While my point is to show the examples in disparity between design and quality, I really dont care what product it comes from. Why should the quality and creativity lack betwewen brands when the technology to produce and manfacture eye appealing designs are there? Thats the real question
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Nothing in Panini's highend National Treasures is comparable to those Hockey designs.

I 100% agree, zero competition means Panini can keep pumping out cheap designs and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Sucks
But isnt this always the truth with any products involving Hockey? The Hockey card world is crazy big and have some of the sickest patches

I do think (just like others) that since they have the rights to be the only NBA card makers that they just pop out as much as they can...have they changed some stuff, yes, but its only minor things... They are a company trying to make money so if they continue to have people buy this stuff then they will continue to push it out....

The only thing that will change it will be either 1 of 2 things:

1. Either Topps or Upper Deck get NBA rights back (Chrome would kill any Panini product right now)....

or

2. People stop buying the products
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I like the Kerr
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

WOW...Those Hockey cards are nice...Almost reminds me of Exquiste/Ultimate Basketball.....Wish Panini would make some nice Basketball cards like these..

MY LAKERS PATCH COLLECTION... http://photobucket.com/Lakerspatchcollection
forgiven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yea can't compare low end to high end. If u compare the national treasures design bsk to hoops basketball, you can see a big difference as well.

And not just hoops, take a look at UD exquisite and then compare the design to low end like UD sp signature or something, just can't compare.
crazymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think the Kerr card looks nice. It is also nice to see an on card autograph as well.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Ok lets compare the Dominion hockey to NT basketball. I think Dominion Hockey is the most premium product in hockey from Panini?

Patch Auto Jumbo from 2011 NT Basketball

Patch Auto Jumbo from 2012 Dominion Hockey

Definately take the hockey over basketball. Foiling, clean auto and large patch window. Easy decision for me.

---------------------
Rookie auto patches from NT Basketball

Rookie auto patches from Dominion Hockey

Eventhough the hockey version looks appealing, id probably take the NT basketball Rookie auto patches.

----------------------

I dont know. I think for NT, they definately could have incorporated better design and definately way more foil etching for such a high end product.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

I love what they're doing with patches in their Prime hockey...I can imagine how much some collectors will pay to complete these:

Prime Examples: The Hand-Picked Patches Headed to 2011-12 Prime Hockey (Gallery) The Official Panini America Blog
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Some men see things as they are, I dream things that never were and say "f*** it! I don't want to collect UD College cards, so I will just collect the Panini cards that I DO like!"
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

But seriously though, why dont you/we actually make a constructive list of ideas and suggestions and send them to Panini? They will start to listen if enough people get on it!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

The lack of detail/care/interest in their basketball designs is poor, and seeing those hockey cards (with the 'Exquisite' quality look about them), I think NBA collectors have a right to feel aggrieved.
I don't buy Panini boxes anyway, but this would be even more reason to not, and protest.

They also stiff you around in terms of what you get, check out this PRIME jumbo patch.......

Wow. What percentage of the window do you reckon you get of a patch?
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote