Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #226 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

I actually think Greens did well because of hype. Once the hype train starts rolling, everyone jumps on board and increase the prices.

Same happend to

Chronology Canvas autos. A few guys were going to war to complete sets. Everyone and their mothers jumped on board and the hype train took off. Once the set guys were done, they all levelled off.

Certified Greens. You had a bunch of guys going to war to pick up players for their PC. Everyone and their mothers once agian jumped on board and the hype train took off. Once the player collectors were done getting what they needed, they all corrected themselves in price.

Topps red Turkey. You know the game on this. All it took was 1 person paying crazy prices to get what he wanted for everyone to jump on the train. Once he stopped buying the craze went away.

03 Extra Exquisite Kobe jersey. All it took was 1 person to hoard them. Paying top dollar to get any and all EE he could. Paying $1000+ on them. Everyone was after one. Members were bidding $1100 and losing out. Once he stopped, what happend? $500 can easily get you one now!!

Why cards do well is more to do with hype and following than it has to do with appeal. The ugliest cards in the market place bring in top dollar because of hype and rarity. Nothing to do with design. Some of the best designed cards dont sell well. Some of the best photography on cards action shots (Stadium club) dont sell well.

As for recycled design? Its bound to happen. THe box is limited with 4 corners. Just like music, it all gets sampled and recycled.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #227 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I hope Panini keeps up with this. What this will do is flush out the flippers within the hobby that were looking to make money off of hyping. Hopefully this leads back to collectors and enjoying the notion of collecting.... NOT FLIPPING.

If you dont like it, get out. Simple as that. No one is forcing you to buy anything
Okay, I have to disagree with you here. I'm a collector. People give me #@#@#@#@ for refusing to sell cards in my collection. And yet, I hate Panini.

Because they make #@#@#@#@. Why would I want to collect #@#@#@#@? Just because they make it doesn't mean it's worth having. Maybe the reason everybody is just selling is because there is nothing being made actually worth keeping?
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #228 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Okay, I have to disagree with you here. I'm a collector. People give me #@#@#@#@ for refusing to sell cards in my collection. And yet, I hate Panini.

Because they make #@#@#@#@. Why would I want to collect #@#@#@#@? Just because they make it doesn't mean it's worth having. Maybe the reason everybody is just selling is because there is nothing being made actually worth keeping?
Yeah I'm not a flipper (personally kinda despise that practice) and I've definitely been turned off the hobby in the last couple of years. I tend to keep whatever I pull when I do buy a box (like once every few years...) but I hate what Panini are doing (with basketball - love some of their NFL cards).
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #229 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Okay, I have to disagree with you here. I'm a collector. People give me #@#@#@#@ for refusing to sell cards in my collection. And yet, I hate Panini.

Because they make #@#@#@#@. Why would I want to collect #@#@#@#@? Just because they make it doesn't mean it's worth having. Maybe the reason everybody is just selling is because there is nothing being made actually worth keeping?
Could that not be said about every product? I mean if you are suggesting that anything being sold and not kept is considered garbage then just about everything is garbage.

I thought UD was garbage. But you didnt see me start 100 threads in discontent. Its really starting to get old. Every day someone is crying foul that they cant get what they want for a price they wanted for. If you dont like Panini, thats fine. But to leverage that to get people to stop buying it because they love it is the wrong attitude. I stopped collecting because UD was bilking people out of money with exquisite. THey turned a hobby into a money making cash cow for investors while raping collectors to death. They ruined it for kids by offering $500/packs. Kids can afford to drop $500 for 5 cards? Right!! It is what it is.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #230 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Could that not be said about every product? I mean if you are suggesting that anything being sold and not kept is considered garbage then just about everything is garbage.

I thought UD was garbage. But you didnt see me start 100 threads in discontent. Its really starting to get old. Every day someone is crying foul that they cant get what they want for a price they wanted for. If you dont like Panini, thats fine. But to leverage that to get people to stop buying it because they love it is the wrong attitude. I stopped collecting because UD was bilking people out of money with exquisite. THey turned a hobby into a money making cash cow for investors while raping collectors to death. They ruined it for kids by offering $500/packs. Kids can afford to drop $500 for 5 cards? Right!! It is what it is.
Exquisite wasn't meant for kids? I don't understand your argument. You could get a box of Upper Deck for around $60. So Exquisite ruined it for kids because they couldn't afford the best cards? I can't afford a Porsche, but that doesn't ruin driving for me. If Exquisite ruined your childhood, it's probably because you were a greedy brat.

Upper Deck had products at every price point. Even their worst releases had better design and quality pulls than Panini's mid-end products.
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.

Last edited by bdrr; 11-28-2012 at 08:05 PM.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #231 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Exquisite wasn't meant for kids? I don't understand your argument. You could get a box of Upper Deck for around $60. So Exquisite ruined it for kids because they couldn't afford the best cards? I can't afford a Porsche, but that doesn't ruin driving for me. If Exquisite ruined your childhood, it's probably because you were a greedy brat.

Upper Deck had products at every price point. Even their worst releases had better design and quality pulls than Panini's mid-end products.
So does Panini. You want a a $60 box of cards? Go buy Hoops and stop crying.

Quality and design are subjective. Your taste in design and what qualifies as good doesnt mean it will for others.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #232 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,378
Default

To me it is this simple. If you don't like a product for whatever reason don't buy it. I personally am okay with the product panini puts out. Like every company there is things I don't like. With Panini it is redemptions,sticker autos, the low end products.

It is what it is and will be for next few years.
__________________
Current deals- none sadly.
bdoody42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #233 (permalink)
Member
 
AllStars2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody42 View Post
To me it is this simple. If you don't like a product for whatever reason don't buy it. I personally am okay with the product panini puts out. Like every company there is things I don't like. With Panini it is redemptions,sticker autos, the low end products.

It is what it is and will be for next few years.
Very well said, that is what I believe as well
AllStars2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #234 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
So does Panini. You want a a $60 box of cards? Go buy Hoops and stop crying.

Quality and design are subjective. Your taste in design and what qualifies as good doesnt mean it will for others.
Are you really going to compare what comes out of Hoops to what came out of UD?

Same Day Signatures?
On-card Autograph Jersey cards?
Jordan autos?
LeBron autos?

That's what $60 got you with UD.

Hoops gets you 2 sticker autos of benchwarmers.

That's the point I'm making. You're completely failing to understand the argument. There was actually value in UD. The "kids" you care so much about actually had a chance to get something NICE. With Hoops, they may as well eat their money.
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #235 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Are you really going to compare what comes out of Hoops to what came out of UD?

Same Day Signatures?
On-card Autograph Jersey cards?
Jordan autos?
LeBron autos?

That's what $60 got you with UD.

Hoops gets you 2 sticker autos of benchwarmers.

That's the point I'm making. You're completely failing to understand the argument. There was actually value in UD. The "kids" you care so much about actually had a chance to get something NICE. With Hoops, they may as well eat their money.

You cant put MJ and Lebron into the mix. They are exclusive. If they werent UD wouldnt stand a chance to even compete period. The ONLY reason their product sells is based on lebron and MJ autos.

By the way, what product came out at $60 and had MJ autos and Lebron Autos since 2009?

UD is the same as Panini when it comes to product. Their low end is not popular and their high end sells. Thats says more about collectors than it does about card companies. All it tells me is that its all about the $$!! Exactly what my point has been all along.

Panini is doing a great job competing without 2 of the best selling auto players not in their product. That was more than enough reason for topps to bail as they knew they stood no chance without Kobe, MJ and Lebron. Just goes to show how much Panini is has going against it self and still can put out product that sells.

Last edited by Orangejello727; 11-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #236 (permalink)
Member
 
Kosmo Kards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Passed out in the Circus Liquor parking lot!!!!
Posts: 2,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Are you really going to compare what comes out of Hoops to what came out of UD?

Same Day Signatures?
On-card Autograph Jersey cards?
Jordan autos?
LeBron autos?

That's what $60 got you with UD.

Hoops gets you 2 sticker autos of benchwarmers.

That's the point I'm making. You're completely failing to understand the argument. There was actually value in UD. The "kids" you care so much about actually had a chance to get something NICE. With Hoops, they may as well eat their money.
It's not Panini's falut though, they can't put LeBron or Jordan AUTO's in their products. If they could and didn't it would be another story.
__________________
The internet isn't for me.
Kosmo Kards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #237 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You cant put MJ and Lebron into the mix. They are exclusive. If they werent UD wouldnt stand a chance to even compete period. The ONLY reason their product sells is based on lebron and MJ autos.

By the way, what product came out at $60 and had MJ autos and Lebron Autos since 2009?

UD is the same as Panini when it comes to product. Their low end is not popular and their high end sells. Thats says more about collectors than it does about card companies. All it tells me is that its all about the $$!! Exactly what my point has been all along.

Panini is doing a great job competing without 2 of the best selling auto players not in their product. That was more than enough reason for topps to bail as they knew they stood no chance without Kobe, MJ and Lebron. Just goes to show how much Panini is has going against it self and still can put out product that sells.
COMPETING? They have the exclusive license!
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #238 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo Kards View Post
It's not Panini's falut though, they can't put LeBron or Jordan AUTO's in their products. If they could and didn't it would be another story.
They have Kobe and Durant, and their stuff is still terrible

They could have gone after Malone and Barkley. But they didn't. No, a new start-up company got all-time legends who hadn't signed in over a decade. Because Leaf made an effort. Panini just coasts on their exclusive. Put out junk and people will buy it. Because there isn't anything else with an NBA uniform.
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #239 (permalink)
Member
 
bdrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington, DC but Los Angeles at heart.
Posts: 6,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post

By the way, what product came out at $60 and had MJ autos and Lebron Autos since 2009?
Again, you're missing the point. You can't compare Panini to unlicensed UD. They don't have a low-end market in the current environment.

We're comparing Panini now to UD (or Topps) when they had the license. The argument is that Panini puts out lower quality product at the same price point. That is the only thing we're talking about.

You're consistently making nonsensical arguments that don't hold water.
__________________
Collecting HoF autographs

In Las Vegas December 24th through 29th. Any deals completed during this period will not ship until Tuesday the 30th.
bdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #240 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrr View Post
Again, you're missing the point. You can't compare Panini to unlicensed UD. They don't have a low-end market in the current environment.

We're comparing Panini now to UD (or Topps) when they had the license. The argument is that Panini puts out lower quality product at the same price point. That is the only thing we're talking about.

You're consistently making nonsensical arguments that don't hold water.
Paninis low end hoops is still comparable to topps regular and UD Collectors choice. Same price point and same autos. Topps low end never had anything more than a few inserts and Collector Choice had nothing more than a /100 parallel.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #241 (permalink)
Member
 
toppsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,718
Default

Topps not having anything? If you take their standard product for baseball and football there are tons of serialed numbered, which is what hoops lacks. The inserts are better too.
toppsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #242 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Default

I think Panini is doing an absolutely fantastic job .
Prizm came. That actually establish Panini and brought back collectors to basketball. With the retail only prizm green. Its a plus that they could also reach out to kids. The up and coming collectors...
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #243 (permalink)
Member
 
realreodeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,120
Default

Are you forgetting Photo Shoot autos All ON Card with different ink??? What about MCDonalds ON Card Autos???

C'Mon people Wake Up...
__________________
Piston 4 Life.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #244 (permalink)
Member
 
tingyangs6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 518
Default

"Panini. Home of the sticker autos"

"Thanks to Panini, everyone owns a Kobe auto"
tingyangs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #245 (permalink)
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You cant put MJ and Lebron into the mix. They are exclusive. If they werent UD wouldnt stand a chance to even compete period. The ONLY reason their product sells is based on lebron and MJ autos.

By the way, what product came out at $60 and had MJ autos and Lebron Autos since 2009?

UD is the same as Panini when it comes to product. Their low end is not popular and their high end sells. Thats says more about collectors than it does about card companies. All it tells me is that its all about the $$!! Exactly what my point has been all along.

Panini is doing a great job competing without 2 of the best selling auto players not in their product. That was more than enough reason for topps to bail as they knew they stood no chance without Kobe, MJ and Lebron. Just goes to show how much Panini is has going against it self and still can put out product that sells.
World of Sports was close right? Its about $45 now, not sure when it released.
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #246 (permalink)
Member
 
Kingofkings1281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,171
Default

Personally, I don't care what other people find collectible. My collection includes Topps, Fleer, UD and Panini. Some designs appeal to me and some don't, but at the end of the day, I collect what I want to keep. Not what I can flip for a quick buck. The only thing that really infuriates me, is the "investors" pricing me out of cards that I really want.

I know Exquisite is a hot button issue, but I bought up a lot of the 08/09 set because I loved the design of the cards. I purchased the vast majority of them when they were still relatively affordable. Hell, I had an opportunity to buy the MJ EOE from that year for $2,000 about two years ago. I didn't pull the trigger fast enough, and now one can't be had for less than 7 or 8 grand. This wasn't an organic price increase. It was the result of all of these tools buying these high end cards and pumping the value to obscene and unrealistic levels.

In closing, I hope that these people find another hobby to invade and end up leaving mine alone.
__________________
Always looking for Vince Carter and Tom Brady.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/Kingofkings1281/
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #247 (permalink)
Member
 
Gambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 204
Default

I don't hate Panini, just their designs..
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #248 (permalink)
Member
 
Kosmo Kards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Passed out in the Circus Liquor parking lot!!!!
Posts: 2,061
Default

What I wonder is do people just hate Panini in basketball, or in baseball and football as well. I hear less complaints from football and baseball.
__________________
The internet isn't for me.
Kosmo Kards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #249 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingyangs6 View Post
"Panini. Home of the sticker autos"

"Thanks to Panini, everyone owns a Kobe auto"
"UD, pioneer of sticker autos"

"Thanks to UD, everyone can own an MJ auto!"


Idiot.
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #250 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
"UD, pioneer of sticker autos"

"Thanks to UD, everyone can own an MJ auto!"


Idiot.
While UD did make a LOT of products with some horrible stickers, the 'everyone can own an MJ auto' bit is a little different - because it's clearly just milking what they have left, and not many people are that interested in a college uniform MJ auto.

I just picked up a gorgeous Panini card. Except that it's football, not basketball...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.