Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiporch View Post
Lebron is no where near Kobe status in collecting
exactly mate
cardsdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
yet the most expensive lebron rc is still 2x (20x?) that of Kobes.
lol completely irrelevant mate, but hey, you gave it a go
Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #128 (permalink)

Back to the original question:

Besides the obvious answers several others have already posted regarding panini and why they don't like them: (sticker auto's, poor design, lack of return on boxes, customer service, etc....) here is my main beef....

Panini has not improved........

I have given them several tries, they continue to show lack of effort in their products, year in and year out. And when they do hit on the occasional nice product (certified, crown royale) it almost seems as if it's by accident. If you throw enough darts at a board eventually you will hit a bullseye.....With all the products they put out each year, I'm expecting a few more bullseyes but I continue to be disappointed.

Topps put out a question to it's football fans---what kind of design would you like for our retro football product? What players would you like included?and they got an excellent response. It would be nice if Panini elicited feedback from the collectors regarding it's products, actual HONEST feedback, rather than the cheerleading they get on the knights Lance.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbears86 View Post
Back to the original question:

Besides the obvious answers several others have already posted regarding panini and why they don't like them: (sticker auto's, poor design, lack of return on boxes, customer service, etc....) here is my main beef....

Panini has not improved........

I have given them several tries, they continue to show lack of effort in their products, year in and year out. And when they do hit on the occasional nice product (certified, crown royale) it almost seems as if it's by accident. If you throw enough darts at a board eventually you will hit a bullseye.....With all the products they put out each year, I'm expecting a few more bullseyes but I continue to be disappointed.

Topps put out a question to it's football fans---what kind of design would you like for our retro football product? What players would you like included?and they got an excellent response. It would be nice if Panini elicited feedback from the collectors regarding it's products, actual HONEST feedback, rather than the cheerleading they get on the knights Lance.
I actually think Panini did improve. However, this is also the fact that their first year was really really bad..... So, the improvement is like getting a "C+" instead of "F".
xavieronly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #130 (permalink)
Banned

I dont think people hate the card companies. They hate "exclusivity". When the NBA made Panini the exclusive card manufacturer, it led to no creativity. Just as bad as UD signing players to exclusive contracts. Anytime any exclusivity is signed, it stops anyone else for competing or even putting out a better product.

Exclusive contracts are killing the industry period.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I dont think people hate the card companies. They hate "exclusivity". When the NBA made Panini the exclusive card manufacturer, it led to no creativity. Just as bad as UD signing players to exclusive contracts. Anytime any exclusivity is signed, it stops anyone else for competing or even putting out a better product.

Exclusive contracts are killing the industry period.
Agree!!!
when will UD and Topps be back?
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #132 (permalink)

It is no coincidence how many people have outright disdain for Panini....they have alienated mostly everyone in the hobby, including both their primary and secondary target markets (e.g. distributors/retailers and consumers).

The bad service and erratic product releases are one thing, but most of the hate for Panini comes back to their products. UD had their fair share of organizational issues, etc, but because they put out stellar products that people actually looked forward to and collected, so a lot of the other issues were not as pronounced as with Panini.

Last edited by dmogull; 08-31-2012 at 05:39 PM.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #133 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You are comparing a card with no auto and no patch against a card with an auto and patch from the first year of the most popular and expensive product in the hobby.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
It is no coincidence how many people have outright disdain for Panini....they have alienated mostly everyone in the hobby, including both their primary and secondary target markets (e.g. distributors/retailers and consumers).

The bad service and erratic product releases are one thing, but most of the hate for Panini comes back to their products. UD had their fair share of organizational issues, etc, but because they put out stellar products that people actually looked forward to and collected, so a lot of the other issues were not as pronounced as with Panini.
agreed...Upper Deck was full of mistakes too, but their excellent products made people forget about their shortcomings.

I used to look forward to basketball season for the games and for the new basketball card releases. Now, I just look forward to the games.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:

....Kobe didn't have an exquisite RC, imagine what it would be worth if he did lol.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdagoodstuff View Post
....Kobe didn't have an exquisite RC, imagine what it would be worth if he did lol.
There were auto rcs (press pass had them so they MUST exist from topps etc). regardless the post I responded to was implying that Kobe is the leader in the hobby where as it can be argued (be it because of the era that lebron came into the hobby or even just hobby love). I would personally prefer a kobe auto as opposed to a lebron cavs/HS auto but thats beside the point. this is about value and lebrons auto value is higher right now than kobes.

I think that If Upper Deck EVER gets a license back and redoes the retro rc set they must include the surviving NBA TOP 50 members who havent been included already. I would love to have a shot at pulling something like this...

Last edited by XARZY; 08-31-2012 at 10:58 PM.
XARZY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #137 (permalink)

^ I don't even like Kobe, but that card takes nasty to a whole new level. Absolutely incredible.

My Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball-singles-buy-sell-trade/331760-back-more-w-rondo-bledsoe.html
GrandTheftRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #138 (permalink)

This is getting ridiculous. All products coming out for basketball are filled with massively overproduced autographs and low-value items. Leaf and Panini are slowly killing the NBA hobby box market one crappy product after another. I want some variety and some killer designs!

-Brandon

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) I am the proud 3 time recipient of Blowout's Jester of the Year Award (Funniest Member of the Year) - 2011, 2012, 2013

Last edited by brandonlec; 09-01-2012 at 01:05 AM.
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #139 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTheftRondo View Post
........ that card takes nasty to a whole new level. Absolutely incredible.
+10.......
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegoingsizzler View Post
Can you tell me when one single UD product pumped out close to 2000 MJ or Lebron autos?? You can't!!! But we all know that there is about 2000 kobe autos produced in 10-11 gold standard... please get your fact straight...

Year in and year out, there are more kobe autos produced by Panini then UD of Lebron and MJ....

Best post of the thread my arse...!!!
I hate to break it to ya but all time greats was CHOCK full of Jordans. 1 auto in every master case (6 boxes...) I don't know how many boxes there were but it was a lot of Jordan autos...I pulled 6 or so myself...pretty much exactly what panini did with kobe in gold standard last year.
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #141 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
I hate to break it to ya but all time greats was CHOCK full of Jordans. 1 auto in every master case (6 boxes...) I don't know how many boxes there were but it was a lot of Jordan autos...I pulled 6 or so myself...pretty much exactly what panini did with kobe in gold standard last year.
Yet the Jordans would sell all day at $400, the Kobe never will.

No matter how many Jordan autos are pumped out, there is always a market.

!
tristan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
There were auto rcs (press pass had them so they MUST exist from topps etc). regardless the post I responded to was implying that Kobe is the leader in the hobby where as it can be argued (be it because of the era that lebron came into the hobby or even just hobby love). I would personally prefer a kobe auto as opposed to a lebron cavs/HS auto but thats beside the point. this is about value and lebrons auto value is higher right now than kobes.

I think that If Upper Deck EVER gets a license back and redoes the retro rc set they must include the surviving NBA TOP 50 members who havent been included already. I would love to have a shot at pulling something like this...

That's awesome, good work! That would be one bada$$ card.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Yet the Jordans would sell all day at $400, the Kobe never will.

No matter how many Jordan autos are pumped out, there is always a market.
Well that's due to Jordan being the most collected player by far...
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdownunder View Post
lebron over kobe? come on mate, put down the ud kool-aid. you're drunk
Hmm... Thanks.

There is really only one way to see who sells for more between Kobe and Lebron and that is to compare Autographed sets that they are both in.

Its alot closer than people would think. In fact Lebron out sells Kobe in alot of instances and vice versa. It just depends on the card to be honest.

But, alot of these Lebron cards are him in a Cavaliers jersey. Just imagine if he was in a Heat jersey what his cards would sell for. I would think alot more.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post
Hmm... Thanks.

There is really only one way to see who sells for more between Kobe and Lebron and that is to compare Autographed sets that they are both in.

Its alot closer than people would think. In fact Lebron out sells Kobe in alot of instances and vice versa. It just depends on the card to be honest.

But, alot of these Lebron cards are him in a Cavaliers jersey. Just imagine if he was in a Heat jersey what his cards would sell for. I would think alot more.
lol hard to argue with that kind of reasoning mate. did you by chance attend the xarzy school of logic?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm... Thanks.

agreed Rick, totally depends on the card/set and there are always exceptions. It is a bit weird with LBJ as his value started off so strong and then dropped a ton after "The Decision." It stayed pretty stagnant at the lower level until he won the championship. So it has been all over the place, but IMO he will continue to win and his cards will continue to rise
Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm... Thanks.

If Panini was awarded LeBron's contract and put out LeBron's autos on card (which UD does NOT do), don't you think their product would be a little bit better? Or would people complain about them flooding the market?
NJNets24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
If Panini was awarded LeBron's contract and put out LeBron's autos on card (which UD does NOT do), don't you think their product would be a little bit better? Or would people complain about them flooding the market?
don't bother mate. it's pointless trying to be the voice of reason. too many guys on here have invested their savings in ud products, so they will blindly love all things ud and blindly hate all things panini because they believe it helps to protect their investment. it's pretty transparent and pathetic, but that's the way it is in this classy hobby of ours
Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdownunder View Post
don't bother mate. it's pointless trying to be the voice of reason. too many guys on here have invested their savings in ud products, so they will blindly love all things ud and blindly hate all things panini because they believe it helps to protect their investment. it's pretty transparent and pathetic, but that's the way it is in this classy hobby of ours
Thing is, its possible for Panini to have player contracts without flooding the market with them. Just look at players like Derrick Rose and Carmelo Anthony.
XARZY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNets24 View Post
well i think if a company had jordan, lebron, kobe, durant, and everyone else they would be less likely the flood the market with any which one.

panini is flooding kobes because they have to make up for the fact that they don't have jordan and lebron.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote