Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
SportsItUpCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Collector since 1992
Posts: 12,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
well i think if a company had jordan, lebron, kobe, durant, and everyone else they would be less likely the flood the market with any which one.

panini is flooding kobes because they have to make up for the fact that they don't have jordan and lebron.
I agree! They could put out less autographs of each players because they made up in the number of cards out out between them all...

But Panini can keep producing Kobe autos, patches, jerseys, because there will always be just ONE Silhouettes card of him

Hopefully they stop makng them.... but if they do come out again, I hope they're either butt ugly, or 100 times better and use different players, so I can add some more to my collection!
__________________
Collecting: 76ers | NBA 50 Greatest GU | Elgin Baylor | Steve Francis 1999-00 year ONLY

It's all about the 76ers in 2015...
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #152 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
Posts: 2,681
Default

They make boring cards. The topps chrome in mho is the best looking and best bang for the buck. Panini, a euro company that cannot translate the excitement of the game in a card has not come clise in a middle end product. F u panini
Heroicdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #153 (permalink)
Member
 
drob50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroicdeck View Post
They make boring cards. The topps chrome in mho is the best looking and best bang for the buck. Panini, a euro company that cannot translate the excitement of the game in a card has not come clise in a middle end product. F u panini
You feel better now mate?

They are here as the only NBA card company for the next few years, so either learn to just pick up the single you DO like, or look for another hobby!

Or you can just create an account and start b***ing straight away!
__________________
Collecting 12-13 Gold Standard Superscribe Autos
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #154 (permalink)
Member
 
bjho852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 969
Default

Aside from redemption and sticker autographs, I don't really hate Panini.
I hope that they could get as many on-card autographs as possible for products, whether they are low- or high-end.

As for the NBA exclusive license, it won't end until at least after the 2016-17 season after the extension that they signed.
__________________
Currently collecting (basketball only)
- SkyBox Premium/Fleer Autographics (1996-97 to 2000-01)
- Stadium Club Co-Signers (1997-98, 1998-99), Topps Autographs (1997-98 to 1999-00)
- HOF on-card autographs, and anything that catches my eyes
bjho852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #155 (permalink)
Member
 
Kosmo Kards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Passed out in the Circus Liquor parking lot!!!!
Posts: 2,061
Default

They have some decent products coming out this year. Looking forward to Prizm. Problem that I have with Panini have exclusive rights is that it hurts consumers. If you collect MJ, LeBron or Wade than Panini won't have any AUTO's of your guys. If you collect Kobe or Durant you don't have much interest in Retro or any UD product.
Kosmo Kards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #156 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

They're just overpriced for the minimal chance of hitting anything halfway decent.

Topps Chrome Football is a product similar to most Panini products - $100, 1 auto, a few refractors/numbered cards. Except unlike Panini you could possibly pull a 1/1 auto RC worth mega thousands (as well as many in the hundreds and above). The ONLY thing out of ALL of Panini's products that you could do that with is a Solid Gold from GS (priced much higher) or a high-end RC (like logoman) auto from NT (priced much much much higher).
The bang for buck just isn't worth it. And I'm not saying that you should get your money back from boxes, I'm just saying that for the crazy prices there should be a chance to hit SOMETHING good... that's not just a Kobe or Kyrie auto.....
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #157 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

Well we love Panini!!!
We only collect Basketball...
We love the Panini Cards!
Awesome Design and the price is just right. I could see that the Prizm will bring back collectors to basketball.
Right now their is no OTHER COMPANY that have the rights to produce an NBA Uniform CARDS!
I dont Think it would be fair to penalized Panini for Topps, UD, and other card componies for not resigning their contact to the NBA... The Loss of those Companies have affected so many collectors especially the faithful ones...Panini we love it like we love the game.
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #158 (permalink)
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Well we love Panini!!!
We only collect Basketball...
We love the Panini Cards!
Awesome Design and the price is just right. I could see that the Prizm will bring back collectors to basketball.
Right now their is no OTHER COMPANY that have the rights to produce an NBA Uniform CARDS!
I dont Think it would be fair to penalized Panini for Topps, UD, and other card componies for not resigning their contact to the NBA... The Loss of those Companies have affected so many collectors especially the faithful ones...Panini we love it like we love the game.
How is the price just right? The average Panini basketball product drops 35-40% within 60 days after MAPP. Obviously if the MAPP pricing was "the right price" then they would stay up or above this number. Instead they all drop WELL below. Panini products are GARBAGE for the breaker. The ABSOLUTE worst value you will find. Prizm will be a MAJOR failure and MARK MY WORDS will see $60-$65 a box within 60 days of MAPP being over. 2 autographs for $100 with a HORRID checklist. Good luck guys.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #159 (permalink)
Member
 
tristan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,006
Send a message via MSN to tristan20
Default

Anyone that thinks Panini products have value, obviously doesn't do must busting.

Break any Panini product and you instantly drop at least 50%, 99% of the time.

How many great busts do you see from Panini products? 1-5%? And usually the hit is a redemption which takes another 6 months to get.

Heck I would never bust another panini product ever! Even if they promise $100 bills in each box at $50 per box, it would be a redemption they cant fulfill and they would end up sending you some crappy $5 replacement.

And what are the HUGE hits in their products? A card that looks exactly like the last product they released which probably was probably 2 weeks old.


Panini needs to do a few things to get collectors to love them

Quit the cartoon looking Players! ITS UGLY AND Unreal!
Quit the Cutouts for stickers, makes no sense at all to cut a card and pop a sticker in there. Most are miscut windows that take away the beauty of the cards.
Quit the stickers on dark backgrounds, YOU CANT SEE THEM. Would rather have no sticker at all.
Quit the same images on every product! Using the same pictures / design and just changing the name doesn't make it any better
Quit the high prices, I understand Panini needs to make a profit. But hell it doesnt have to be a 99% profit, THE PRICES DON'T Justify the products!
Quit pumping out products within 2-3 weeks of one another, why compete with yourself? Combine a few products and make one good product.
Please start inserting the 1/1s in products (and not just advertising them when you aren't going to insert them), most of these huge hits are in Panini Black box which is given away at Nationals and have UGLY prints on them which state PANINI BLACK BOX.
__________________
http://www.finalsmvp.com/

!

Last edited by tristan20; 11-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #160 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Well we love Panini!!!
We only collect Basketball...
We love the Panini Cards!
Awesome Design and the price is just right. I could see that the Prizm will bring back collectors to basketball.
Right now their is no OTHER COMPANY that have the rights to produce an NBA Uniform CARDS!
I dont Think it would be fair to penalized Panini for Topps, UD, and other card componies for not resigning their contact to the NBA... The Loss of those Companies have affected so many collectors especially the faithful ones...Panini we love it like we love the game.
I love how positive you are, but that's just STUPID
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #161 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
How is the price just right? The average Panini basketball product drops 35-40% within 60 days after MAPP. Obviously if the MAPP pricing was "the right price" then they would stay up or above this number. Instead they all drop WELL below. Panini products are GARBAGE for the breaker. The ABSOLUTE worst value you will find. Prizm will be a MAJOR failure and MARK MY WORDS will see $60-$65 a box within 60 days of MAPP being over. 2 autographs for $100 with a HORRID checklist. Good luck guys.
If its just for investment then we maybe in the wrong type of business.
but if its the fan and joy of collecting NBA cards. Then I can't see Why not Panini! There are no other choice with NBA UNiforms. If you believe that your suggestion that all of their product would Drop. they I would strongly suggest to pick them up when its on that level.
We Love Panini Because the prize of it offset so much when i see my kid eyes light up with excitement. Its Just the pure joy of collecting for us. That is why we even host free group breaks to share the joy!
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #162 (permalink)
Member
 
thepinoymamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
I love how positive you are, but that's just STUPID
we agree to disagree. there is actually no other alternative.
__________________


Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #163 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
we agree to disagree. there is actually no other alternative.
Nah, that's just crap.

If you didn't have the money to buy your kid boxes, how would he do it? Save and save and save up and then finally have enough to buy a box? And then not be able to trade what he got out of the box for anything.... because it's about 40% more expensive than it actually should be, and the kids (the ones who might accept the rubbish they've been putting out for so long) can't afford to buy them!
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #164 (permalink)
Member
 
drob50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Nah, that's just crap.

If you didn't have the money to buy your kid boxes, how would he do it? Save and save and save up and then finally have enough to buy a box? And then not be able to trade what he got out of the box for anything.... because it's about 40% more expensive than it actually should be, and the kids (the ones who might accept the rubbish they've been putting out for so long) can't afford to buy them!
I agree the boxes don't hold consistent value, but really, the only thing they are missing is the potential 'Huge Hits'!

People get spanked by Upper Deck products regularly, but it was ok because they had a chance to get a Lebron or MJ. Panini's stuff lately has not carried any huge hits, except for the Solid Golds or Bullion Tags!

But the issue I have is why does Panini take ALL of the blame? I get the MAPP is their idea, but without it, the average LCS would not be able to compete with the online retailers and would all close down!

Also, the resale value of singles is determined by US! Not the manufacturer! We are the ones who no longer value base cards, standard inserts or GU cards!
__________________
Collecting 12-13 Gold Standard Superscribe Autos
drob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #165 (permalink)
Member
 
Cheken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,866
Default

As a collector, i dislike the sticker autos

It has always been low on return for breaking boxes. I remember spending a few thousand back in the 90s on packs and still cant get anything of decent value unless i got real lucky with the serial # cards which i never did as it was so hard to land on any of them.
__________________
http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/ChekenCollection/
Cheken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #166 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
Also, the resale value of singles is determined by US! Not the manufacturer! We are the ones who no longer value base cards, standard inserts or GU cards!
But they could pay attention to the market and stop giving people what they don't want...

The point as well, is that if you're paying such a high price for a box, what's the incentive? There are no big cards... just goes to show how many suckers there are that collect basketball cards...
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #167 (permalink)
Member
 
Lee42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
But they could pay attention to the market and stop giving people what they don't want...

The point as well, is that if you're paying such a high price for a box, what's the incentive? There are no big cards... just goes to show how many suckers there are that collect basketball cards...
Maybe those "suckers" out there collect cards with intention of never selling them? Maybe people like to collect sets and buy boxes to help fulfil those goals.

Not everyone buys boxes to bust and flip every card they pull? It is a hobby isn't it?

Your negativity about the hobby really does start wearing thin at times.
Lee42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #168 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee42 View Post
Maybe those "suckers" out there collect cards with intention of never selling them? Maybe people like to collect sets and buy boxes to help fulfil those goals.

Not everyone buys boxes to bust and flip every card they pull? It is a hobby isn't it?

Your negativity about the hobby really does start wearing thin at times.
Why do you care? Leave me alone.

You can collect and not intend to sell. However when people keep buying, the company will not be inclined to change a shoddy service/system, which is the same in this case.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #169 (permalink)
Member
 
hairyangryfella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 6,562
Default

The other thing is that (I haven't paid any attention to NHL but I hear it's the same) Panini make some GORGEOUS football cards. Great designs, on-card autos, collectible and sought-after items.

Why can they do it for football but not basketball? Oh, right, there's competition in football....
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #170 (permalink)
jj2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
The average Panini basketball product drops 35-40% within 60 days after MAPP.
Perhaps you could provide a list of all the Panini releases that have dropped by this much?

Quote:
Prizm will be a MAJOR failure and MARK MY WORDS will see $60-$65 a box within 60 days of MAPP being over.
Doubtful.
jj2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #171 (permalink)
Member
 
xavieronly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
Perhaps you could provide a list of all the Panini releases that have dropped by this much?
Just this year, Hoops and Prestige are 40$ off. Threads is next in line to have this big discount.
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #172 (permalink)
Member
 
WilsonValdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Temporarily Suspended
Posts: 9,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
Perhaps you could provide a list of all the Panini releases that have dropped by this much?
Pretty much every release in 10-11 before Jeremy Lin blew up...and many after.
__________________
Check out my mis/underpriced COMC account; My laziness is your gain! Over 2000 items, all 4 sports.
- **Now running a 35% off sale**.
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #173 (permalink)
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Pretty much every release in 10-11 before Jeremy Lin blew up...and many after.
And its all back in the gutter...
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #174 (permalink)
Member
 
nateadams2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 1,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob50 View Post
You feel better now mate?

They are here as the only NBA card company for the next few years, so either learn to just pick up the single you DO like, or look for another hobby!

Or you can just create an account and start b***ing straight away!
^^^^^haha. this made me laugh.....thanks drob for making my day better. haha
__________________
Carmelo Anthony collector........
Always looking for 1/1's, Jersey #'d, Autos, Patches
Now collecting both KNICKS and NUGGETS uni cards
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #175 (permalink)
Member
 
jameshues's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Anyone that thinks Panini products have value, obviously doesn't do must busting.

Break any Panini product and you instantly drop at least 50%, 99% of the time.

How many great busts do you see from Panini products? 1-5%? And usually the hit is a redemption which takes another 6 months to get.

Heck I would never bust another panini product ever! Even if they promise $100 bills in each box at $50 per box, it would be a redemption they cant fulfill and they would end up sending you some crappy $5 replacement.

And what are the HUGE hits in their products? A card that looks exactly like the last product they released which probably was probably 2 weeks old.


Panini needs to do a few things to get collectors to love them

1. Quit the cartoon looking Players! ITS UGLY AND Unreal!
2. Quit the Cutouts for stickers, makes no sense at all to cut a card and pop a sticker in there. Most are miscut windows that take away the beauty of the cards.
3. Quit the stickers on dark backgrounds, YOU CANT SEE THEM. Would rather have no sticker at all.
4. Quit the same images on every product! Using the same pictures / design and just changing the name doesn't make it any better
5. Quit the high prices, I understand Panini needs to make a profit. But hell it doesnt have to be a 99% profit, THE PRICES DON'T Justify the products!
6. Quit pumping out products within 2-3 weeks of one another, why compete with yourself? Combine a few products and make one good product.
7. Please start inserting the 1/1s in products (and not just advertising them when you aren't going to insert them), most of these huge hits are in Panini Black box which is given away at Nationals and have UGLY prints on them which state PANINI BLACK BOX.
They have value if you're smart about it (i.e. quit while you're ahead). That's how I've pulled 2 Kobe Autos, a John Wall RC Auto /25, and an Anthony Davis RC Auto for very reasonable prices.

Panini CS is great if you call them and ask for the right people, I got a Derrick Anderon crap rookie auto replaced with a Kevin Love GS Jersey Auto. You just have to know how to work their system.

Just wait for Absolute/TT/[NT?] to come out, then tell me there aren't any huge hits.

1. Okay I'm pretty sure nobody has any idea what you're talking about, I've seen this complaint posted at least 3 times now. I'm pretty confident these are in fact photographs.
https://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/...ni-basketball/

2. Panini stopped making the cutouts for stickers. See 11-12 Gold Standard.

3. Yeah, this was a problem with some on-card autos, then they fixed it.
09-10: KOBE BRYANT AUTOGRAPH G/U JSY 09-10 PRESTIGE PROS # 34/100 AUTO. AU | eBay

10-11: KOBE BRYANT 10-11 ABSOLUTE STAR GAZING PATCH/AUTO 07/25 | eBay

I haven't seen any of these sticker issues, but this proves that Panini acknowledges that a blue auto has to be on a bright surface, so if there is an issue, anticipate it to be fixed in upcoming products. I haven't seen anything bad though.

4. Yeah okay so that's just not true, different images are used in every product (maybe a couple exceptions, I'd like to see them if they exist)

5. Agree with this

6. People buy it, it makes money. Plus I love having variety. Also, Panini's high end products haven't been released yet, so it's not really fair to say they don't have any good products.

7. Same thing, it's early in their 11-12 releases so they're keeping things at lower value to make the 1/1's released in higher end products that much more valuable.



I'm not trying to say Panini is perfect, but you don't give them enough credit.
__________________
Looking for all CHRIS PAUL patches and autos!
My photobucket: http://www.photobucket.com/jameshues
jameshues is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.