Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default If there was an all time NBA draft would Lebron James be a first round pick?

If it was possible to draft an NBA player using all the possibilities of the NBA's rich history, How many people would think that Lebron James would be taken in the first round. Personally I think that it is debatable, but real close. So if you were a GM and had a first round pick in the NBA's all time historical draft, who would you pick and where would you pick them at. Let's see your top 30 first round picks, from best to worst.

1. Michael Jordan

2. Wilt Chamberlain

3. Kareem Abdul Jabbar

4. Shaquille O'Neal

5. Magic Johnson

6. Hakeem Olajuwon

7. Larry Bird

8. Julius Erviring

9. Kobe Bryant

10. Oscar Robertson

11. Karl Malone

12. Tim Duncan

13. Jerry West

14. Kevin Garnett

15. Bill Russell

16. Charles Barkley

17. David Robinson

18. Dirk Nowitzki

19. Patrick Ewing

20. Clyde Drexler

21. Elgin Baylor

22. John Havlicek

23. John Stockton

24. Moses Malone

25. Elvin Hayes

26. Scottie Pippen

27. Isiah Thomas

28. Rick Barry

29. George Gervin

30. Gary Payton

So I know that this is a debatable list and there are some spots on here that could be substituted by other players namely Nowitzki, Ewing, Drexler, and Payton. I think that it is totally reasonable to put Lebron in any one of those spots, and a lot of people would want to put him in the first round. Honorable mention to Allen Iverson, Reggie Miller, Earl Monroe, Pete Maravich, Nate Archibald, Jason Kidd, Robert Parish, Kevin Mchale, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, Wes Unseld, Jerry Lucas, Bob Cousy, and Steve Nash, All fine players who could legitimately merit a first round pick. Who would you guys pick and where.
paydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

1. Bill Russel
2. Michael Jordan
3. Everyone else
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Lebron
4. MJ
5. Kareem
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
mik

It would be interesting to compare them in their pre-draft form. I mean, who was the most obvious NBA great before they even touched the court?

I would assume Lebron was the biggest no-brainer pre-draft, but basketball is not my sport.

Nice thread though. This could get interesting.

I collect Frank Thomas, Chris Sale, Mark Grace, and Matt Kemp.

here's my bucket: http://s1121.photobucket.com/home/mcmikmac/index
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
It would be interesting to compare them in their pre-draft form. I mean, who was the most obvious NBA great before they even touched the court?

I would assume Lebron was the biggest no-brainer pre-draft, but basketball is not my sport.

Nice thread though. This could get interesting.
That would make for a different but good thread.

Definately Lebron #1 for pre draft hype.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do you really think that Lebron is a first round pick? We are talking about the whole body of work of their whole career. I also left off Dennis Rodman and Dominique Wilkins. I think that if you did a draft you really have to consider about 20 or so players before he even comes into the discussion. I think it is very reasonable to consider Lebron to be taken in the first round, but it is something that is not quite a sure thing. I narrowly left him off the list due to the outstanding complete body of work of some of these outstanding players. Eventually when it is all said and done, Lebron's career will probably compare favorably with just about anyone. If you would, please give a complete list of the top 30 players and where you would draft them and why or why not you would pick Lebron in the first round.
paydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

1 MJ
2 LBJ
3 Wilt
4 Bill Russell
5 Magic
6 Bird
7 Oscar
8 Duncan
9 Shaq
10 Kobe

My Bucket: http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i385/getbig14/
GetBig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydirt View Post
Do you really think that Lebron is a first round pick? We are talking about the whole body of work of their whole career. I also left off Dennis Rodman and Dominique Wilkins. I think that if you did a draft you really have to consider about 20 or so players before he even comes into the discussion. I think it is very reasonable to consider Lebron to be taken in the first round, but it is something that is not quite a sure thing. I narrowly left him off the list due to the outstanding complete body of work of some of these outstanding players. Eventually when it is all said and done, Lebron's career will probably compare favorably with just about anyone. If you would, please give a complete list of the top 30 players and where you would draft them and why or why not you would pick Lebron in the first round.
I dont think you even know what you are looking for with this draft.

Are you suggesting we compare complete career to those in the process? Is so why? Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Look at Lebrons stats. Look at his play. He easily goes down as the #1 pick overall in my opinion. Go ahead and compare. Lebron isnt a first round pick. He is the #1 pick
Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post

Are you suggesting we compare complete career to those in the process? Is so why? Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Look at Lebrons stats. Look at his play. He easily goes down as the #1 pick overall in my opinion. Go ahead and compare. Lebron isnt a first round pick. He is the #1 pick
Wow take it easy there. In no universe does Lebron go higher than Jordan, and he is not proven enough yet to say he deserves to be picked in the top 10 yet. He is a first round draft pick for sure but not top ten ( at least not yet)
EMD34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD34 View Post
Wow take it easy there. In no universe does Lebron go higher than Jordan, and he is not proven enough yet to say he deserves to be picked in the top 10 yet. He is a first round draft pick for sure but not top ten ( at least not yet)
Ok so what does lebron have to do in order to prove himself? LOL

Like I said, compare his averages to MJ if you want.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok so what does lebron have to do in order to prove himself? LOL

Like I said, compare his averages to MJ if you want.
He has to have the longevity that Jordan and every other top ten player has had, if he went down with a career ending or altering injury next year he would be seen similarly to how T Mac and Grant Hill are now (although he is considerably better than they were) It is WAY early to put him above Jordan I don't think he will ever be seen as better than Jordan, I see his peak at #3 all time. Also stats dont tell the whole story or Wilt would be hands down the GOAT.

Here is how I see it at this point in time.

1. Jordan
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Bird
5. Hakeem
6. Shaq
7. Wilt
8. Kobe
9. Duncan
10. Robertson
11. Lebron
12. Barkley
13. Russell
14. Karl Malone
15. Erving
16. Ewing
17. Robinson
18. KG
19. Drexler
20. Moses Malone
21. Dirk
22. Stockton
23. Pippen
24. West
25. Hayes
26. Maravich
27. Gervin
28. Thomas
29. Fraizer
30. Worthy

Edit: Wow I just totally forgot about Dr J

Last edited by EMD34; 08-30-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

So you are arguing that Lebron doesnt deserve to be on that list because he hasnt had longevity? So you have Maravich on your list. Just how long did he last?

Im starting to see why this was put in off topic and not in the basketball section
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
So you are arguing that Lebron doesnt deserve to be on that list because he hasnt had longevity? So you have Maravich on your list. Just how long did he last?

Im starting to see why this was put in off topic and not in the basketball section
I didnt say not on the list I only said he did not deserve to be in the top ten just yet. ( I do believe he will get there it is just not a sure thing yet.)

Last edited by EMD34; 08-30-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can someone please post and compare Jordan's first 9 years stats to James's stats

Im sooooo freaking sick of all these threads going back and forth on this crap...

Jordan is retired and in the HOF, James is currently one of if not the best player currently playing right now and you can't compare the 2 till James is all said and done.
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton615 View Post
1. Bill Russel
2. Michael Jordan
3. Everyone else
agree that Russell and Jordan are 1/2 in whichever order people want. i'd argue that Magic would be a solid 3. also George Mikan is a first rounder for sure in this imaginary list.

as for LeBron, right now he's probably back half of the first round but he has time left in his career to move up this list.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

If you're going by the #'s at this point of their careers, actually Wilt is probably your #1. But since we have the benefit of viewing entire careers of work, I'd take MJ. Championship rings and winning aren't an individual accomplishment, but the fact is that MJ proved when he was with the Bulls that there was nobody that was beating that team over the last half of his career. Fact, the bulls never lost 3 games in a row at any point between November 1990 and June 1998 when MJ was on the roster. Pretty underrated stat that you don't see many people throwing around (courtesy of Bill Simmons).

Last edited by JK8283; 08-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
JK8283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Lebron is arguably one of the top few SFs of all time. I would think he would definitely go 1st round.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

im no lebron fan by any stretch...but he definitely goes in the first round...

it would be different if you were ranking players on career output (maybe...) but if you're talking about starting a team, gotta have lebron in the top 30...

i like EMD's list although dirk might be lower (more towards the end of the round) and bill russell would go higher...and as much as i hate to say it i think you take the admiral over pat...man that hurts to say lol
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

im trying to figure out what stats/averages is the guy talking about with lebron because all jordans averages/stats are higher...........
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
im trying to figure out what stats/averages is the guy talking about with lebron because all jordans averages/stats are higher...........
APG?
RPG?

Not PPG. MJ beats Lebron there.

But usually the top 3 comparison stats used to reference players is PPG, APG and RPG correct? Unless these are not stats used commonly?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

I pay no attention to basketball, but thought this was interesting. After reading the posts I looked at this also

MJ vs. LeBron: What the stats say - Heat Index Blog - ESPN

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm no fan of Lebron or the Heat, but I can't imagine him going outside the top five of any such draft.

I saw George Mikan's name mentioned, and I'd have to say there's no chance. He was an unathletic 6-10 center in an era of short players, mainly pre-integration, and he had the benefit of playing for a long time without a three-second rule. Great for his time, but I don't think it translates to making this list.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Wait is this a draft after there careers are over?

I don't think it is. If this is a draft based on one player you want to lead your team its clearly lebron.

with everyones 'winning legacy' or body of work off the table it is hands down lebron james who is probably the most 'skilled overall player ever to play basketball'.

now if you are taking their 'resume' and 'winning legacy' into account then its a different story but if you are taking the player as the player and everything else a clean slate. its lebron.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

In a hypothetical where all players are rookies coming into the league or all players are in their prime, the top three are Jordan, LeBron, and Shaq in some order.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

I think it's funny how Kobe gets no respect. He clearly should not be a 9th or 10th pick.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote