Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's the best method to collect for investment?????

This is a hobby for me but it would be nice to get some type of return every once in a while. Should I be focusing on rookie cards? jersey/patch cards? should I break boxes or just buy straight out what I want? The only time I've lucked out is collecting kobe bryant in '97, but players like that don't come around that often. Can't seem to grasp a method for collecting for investment.
greetl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stars that can become bigger stars or bigger stars that will become legends. Lebron, Kobe, Durant. Also, legends will continue to rise especially those that don't sign often or are deceased ---> It's all going up in the future. If you can afford Jordan his stuff will continue to rise but it's awfully high already. You'll definitely lose money busting...depending on your budget I'd try to buy mid-high end singles.

If you're looking for quick flips try to find a rookie(s) that you think will bust out and have a few good games and his cards will shoot up. Would avoid buying product at it's newest since the singles are always the highest. Also understand your markets, all it takes is one good game from a guy like Ebanks in a market like LA to stir up interest.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greetl01 View Post
This is a hobby for me but it would be nice to get some type of return every once in a while. Should I be focusing on rookie cards? jersey/patch cards? should I break boxes or just buy straight out what I want? The only time I've lucked out is collecting kobe bryant in '97, but players like that don't come around that often. Can't seem to grasp a method for collecting for investment.
The advice you probably don't want to hear is, don't make sports cards an investment. Keep it a hobby, and if once in awhile you make a buck or two - or even just break even - be happy.

I am certainly not an expert, but in my opinion from following card collecting the past 20 years, it seems that a majority of the time, the people that "make money" off sports cards (i.e. flipping a card, set, box, case, etc.), fall into one (or both) of the following categories:

(a) Extremely lucky and/or,

(b) They buy a ton of boxes/cases/singles.

So when you see cards selling on eBay for hundreds, or even thousands, they more than likely didn't have an investment plan.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

After ebay and paypal fees its almost impossible to profit. Even if you make a good investment you might only break even after fees.
Wings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

some good advice guys. thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

investment... jordan...

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

save your money and get the singles you want. chances are busting you will almost never pull the card or two from the product you truely want, and most of the time the cash you invest into the boxes/cases could buy multiple copies of the card you want.
nateadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser9698 View Post
Stars that can become bigger stars or bigger stars that will become legends. Lebron, Kobe, Durant. Also, legends will continue to rise especially those that don't sign often or are deceased ---> It's all going up in the future. If you can afford Jordan his stuff will continue to rise but it's awfully high already. You'll definitely lose money busting...depending on your budget I'd try to buy mid-high end singles.

If you're looking for quick flips try to find a rookie(s) that you think will bust out and have a few good games and his cards will shoot up. Would avoid buying product at it's newest since the singles are always the highest. Also understand your markets, all it takes is one good game from a guy like Ebanks in a market like LA to stir up interest.
What do you consider Mid-High end? I see cards going for thousands of dollars so relatively speaking, $500 cards can be Mid-High
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
What do you consider Mid-High end? I see cards going for thousands of dollars so relatively speaking, $500 cards can be Mid-High
I consider it by the player, not the price.

Say, a UD black rookie of D Rose would be considered mid high for him, and Exquisite would be high end. Same for Al Horford, Joakim Noah, etc...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
After ebay and paypal fees its almost impossible to profit. Even if you make a good investment you might only break even after fees.
It's not almost impossible. It is very possible, actually.

You need to become versed in one or two players so you know a deal when you see one, have the capital available to buy cards when you find a deal, and be willing to take a risk when you think a card is undervalued. Basically, the same theory used when investing in the stock market.
smoothfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothfidelity View Post

You need to become versed in one or two players so you know a deal when you see one, have the capital available to buy cards when you find a deal, and be willing to take a risk when you think a card is undervalued. Basically, the same theory used when investing in the stock market.
Great post smooth.

...and 'overpaying' is not necessarily overpaying. Bought a K Love Exquisite for $250 and people told me I paid too much for it, if you are confident the card will undergo a value spike then snag it. This is the exception to the rule though.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

Good point! I think I'm going to use that method for KD
I think that kids is destined for greatness. He's got the skills and the ATTITUDE. What Iverson was missing.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point! I think I'm going to use that method for KD
I think that kids is destined for greatness. He's got the skills and the ATTITUDE. What Iverson was missing.
I think KD is a solid investment. I have a few nice rooks of him in my bucket. Save him as a search and look for auctions that end at weird times like weekday afternoons and mornings, also check for things that are poorly listed.

The one thing about him that I like(for hobby purposes) is that everyone likes him. Everyone.

People hate Kobe. People hate Lebron. But everyone seems to like Durant. Plus he still hasn't won a title.

He and Lebron are going to be Bird and Magic all over again to a certain extent IMO.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jordan... Kobe...Lebron...Durant...Rose
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser9698 View Post
I think KD is a solid investment. I have a few nice rooks of him in my bucket. Save him as a search and look for auctions that end at weird times like weekday afternoons and mornings, also check for things that are poorly listed.

The one thing about him that I like(for hobby purposes) is that everyone likes him. Everyone.

People hate Kobe. People hate Lebron. But everyone seems to like Durant. Plus he still hasn't won a title.

He and Lebron are going to be Bird and Magic all over again to a certain extent IMO.
haha! true! man i loathe Kobe. ....I'm not getting rid of all those rookies I collected though lmao. I just bought 2 of his rookie flair showcase cards yesterday
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Best method: Don't

Too much risk. You can find much safer investments.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post

none as fun as collecting though
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

Buying basketball cards on Feebay and playing the stocks aren't similar...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Buying basketball cards on Feebay and playing the stocks aren't similar...
Yes, they are. I speak from experience. I invest in both. I make most of my money, flipping cards, buying them when I feel they are undervalued and then selling them when the market adjusts. You use the same theory when buying stock.

Fool.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post

With risk comes reward.

Any investment that is somewhat "safe" limits your return.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, they are. I speak from experience. I invest in both. I make most of my money, flipping cards, buying them when I feel they are undervalued and then selling them when the market adjusts. You use the same theory when buying stock.

Fool.
Sure you do... Im sure your justing raking the money in. Enjoy your $10 flips
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Sure you do... Im sure your justing raking the money in. Enjoy your $10 flips
Wow. Just because you can't do what others do, we don't do it?

Keeping living in the fog.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

To me , on card rc autos (with nice patches), that are graded bgs 9.5s or psa 10s are the way to go. The player has to have high potential, don't always go for the hyped pick ala Anthony Davis. You will probably never see a 5-10 times return on your money with him. Unless he becomes an NBA champion, which I don't see happening bc of ( Howard, Lebron and Durant etc.) Pmg, Jordans, etc I don't see rising in value much longer ( once EBay becomes more keen on shill bidders, through added technology and security, in the future.) cheers, Ryan

P.S. if you missed the Lebron, Durant, Lin and Jordan money making wagon. Don't worry bc we will still have guys like Ivan Rabb, Andrew Wiggins, Ben Simmons and Aaron Gordon. Coming to the nba in a few years!!!! The future looks bright for both the Nba and hobby!!!

Last edited by puregreen5; 09-07-2012 at 10:19 PM.
puregreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
With risk comes reward.

Any investment that is somewhat "safe" limits your return.
I understand.

I think this hobby is in bubble mode. I don't know how or when it will burst, but it will. Unless someone can come up with the next innovation for the hobby we are getting close to an apex.

Companies that provide a necessary product and successfully innovate will carry forward (a general trend, not a rule).

Whether it is art, precious metals, gems, antiques, cars, etc they do get inflated and self adjust. I think this hobby needs to self adjust before the bottom falls out.

Short term buys/sells CAN make you money, but this hobby will NEVER make money for those who are in it for the long. Buy a Picasso and it will appreciate. What card can you buy today that you can possibly get a 5-10% annualized return over the next 50 years?

I'm not trying to argue or be a stick in the mud. I realize you make money on the short run. Buy undervalued and sell at value. Active trading of any item can and will make money for individuals who have the time, patience and skill to actively engauge.

We see threads like this from time to time. Asking what can you buy to sit on for investment. I really don't think anything will be of appreciable value in 50 years. Buy and hold will never work in this hobby except for the dozen or so individuals who hold an item like the Honus Wagner. A Jordan RC in 60 years won't sell for 10% annualized. I just don't see it.

Last edited by fullmetal; 09-07-2012 at 10:21 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Buy a bunch of cheap rookies and one will hit sooner or later. Thats the time to dump.