Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what if Retro was better launched?

so i was thinking. Retro is a success for UD as is, but... what if it was available internationally on release date and launched at the nationals instead of september?

any thoughts on this?
XARZY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont know how much those effected the success.

I do find it very ironic that there is this much excitement over a retro, NCAA product. It just goes to show you how poor of a job Panini is doing. Yesterday, there were nothing but Retro threads on here. There has never been that much excitement over any Panini product, even if Tracey Hackler says otherwise.

*Looking for Pistol Pete Maravich Autographs or other rare HOFers
SPauthentic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Honestly, the rookies are a mess in retro. If you're not going to include current stars, why pack it with rookie sticker autos?

If you replace the rookie autos with like 90's players, then I think this would be so much more fun to open.

I'd love to see this product packed with autos by

Steve Smith
Alan Houston
Nick Anderson
Sam Perkins
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Mitch Richmond
Reggie Miller
Dikembe
Nick Van Exel
Eddie Jones

etc...
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPauthentic84 View Post
I dont know how much those effected the success.

I do find it very ironic that there is this much excitement over a retro, NCAA product. It just goes to show you how poor of a job Panini is doing. Yesterday, there were nothing but Retro threads on here. There has never been that much excitement over any Panini product, even if Tracey Hackler says otherwise.
Exactly, people want change. Its obvious Panini has done a horrible job with Nba products. Overpricing them was their biggest mistake
Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

what if kobe and blake griffin were in it?...
Lenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenwood View Post
what if kobe and blake griffin were in it?...

And Durant and Rose!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Thata why there totally certified greens are a lot
Durant
Rose
Kobe
Griffin
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
Honestly, the rookies are a mess in retro. If you're not going to include current stars, why pack it with rookie sticker autos?

If you replace the rookie autos with like 90's players, then I think this would be so much more fun to open.

I'd love to see this product packed with autos by

Steve Smith
Alan Houston
Nick Anderson
Sam Perkins
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Mitch Richmond
Reggie Miller
Dikembe
Nick Van Exel
Eddie Jones

etc...
Well said.

Retro players instead of rookies would have been better, in my opinion.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen any cards of Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Pete Maravich so far. It seems odd to have a retro product without cards of such legendary players from yesteryear.

Also, on a related note, Oscar Robertson, Kareem and Pistol Pete are arguably the three greatest college players of all-time. Given that Upper Deck lost their NBA license, you'd think they'd want to exploit as much NCAA history as possible.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Well said.

Retro players instead of rookies would have been better, in my opinion.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen any cards of Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Pete Maravich so far. It seems odd to have a retro product without cards of such legendary players from yesteryear.

Also, on a related note, Oscar Robertson, Kareem and Pistol Pete are arguably the three greatest college players of all-time. Given that Upper Deck lost their NBA license, you'd think they'd want to exploit as much NCAA history as possible.

I agree with that completely. Obviously this product is doing well, so it's not like I'm bashing it because it's horrible, I just think it could have been even better!

The checklist is definitely very confusing. Wonder how they picked the players
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Likewise, I'm not bashing the product either. I really like it But yeah, I just wish it had more legendary players.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Likewise, I'm not bashing the product either. I really like it But yeah, I just wish it had more legendary players.

See I think it'd be cool if they picked a theme sort of. Obviously, they could go all recent player, or they could go all legends, but I think it'd be cool if they kept it at 90's players being it is based on 90's cards.

Either way, I just wish they were consistent. You've got legends in there, rookies, and then random guys I've seen in inserts like Grant Hill and Steve Nash. Hell, there's even a WNBA player!

The checklist along with the player photography are my two biggest complaints by far.

I wish it was NBA unis, but I know there's nothing that can be done about that
Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

pistol pete
mikeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyed_jack View Post
Either way, I just wish they were consistent. You've got legends in there, rookies, and then random guys I've seen in inserts like Grant Hill and Steve Nash. Hell, there's even a WNBA player!
Yeah, that frustrates me too.

This obviously isn't the first time a card company has chosen a checklist featuring such an eclectic mix of players.

Sometimes a mediocre player can really spoil the appeal of a set. Clearly I wouldn't complain about owning a Jordan PMG However, if I was chasing the entire set, then owning the Jim Jackson or Bill Cartwright cards would taint it slightly.

The same thing was true when I completed the Bowman 48 autograph set. I loved the high end cards (Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, etc) but it was tainted by the lesser 'stars' such as TJ Ford, Corey Maggette, Mo Williams, etc.

I think that's why Exquisite sets (e.g. Enshrinements) are so appealing; they tend to only feature true superstars.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeumd View Post
pistol pete
I mentioned him Imagine a Pistol Pete green PMG? That would be sweet.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Exactly, people want change. Its obvious Panini has done a horrible job with Nba products. Overpricing them was their biggest mistake
Bingo. Panini sells $80-100 boxes for $200-250+. Every design [98%] is poor and overused, but the UD haters complain when they bring back a great design from 14 years ago.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiamigo View Post
Bingo. Panini sells $80-100 boxes for $200-250+. Every design [98%] is poor and overused, but the UD haters complain when they bring back a great design from 14 years ago.
but isn't it a catch 22?

I mean hardcore collectors hate panini so they don't pay a lot for their stuff on the secondary market. So when panini puts out a product the flippers do horrible so people say panini cards aren't worth anything.

History aside, panini put out a product with PMGs, and a few years later UD does the same and they sell for 10X as much as the panini ones.

If panini changed their name to Upper Deck their cards would sell for a lot more, so it's tough to gauge that stuff.

Obviously upper deck has a history of putting out better designed products, but part of the reason panini sells for less is because of the stigma attached to it
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Why does Tim Hardaway and Anfernee Hardaway does not? Anfernees cards are so much more valuable.
afrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARZY View Post
so i was thinking. Retro is a success for UD as is, but... what if it was available internationally on release date and launched at the nationals instead of september?

any thoughts on this?
Nothing would have changed except that this craziness would have all happened a few months ago.
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm sure UD would have liked more retro stars from 80's-90's but getting rights/autos from them is a lot more expensive than no name scrub rookies. UD isn't exactly flush with cash. We all know they are on their last legs. That is why you see a lot them no names. Cheap autos and rights from them. Just because UD has NCAA license, doesn't mean they can use any player in college jersey. They just have rights to use logos, not players themselves. Have to work out deals with them or their estates/agents.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

George Mikan
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think it would have been awesome if this product was made live at the national...There would have been some serious cracking of this product on site.. Would have been quite the scene...Still, it doesn't appear to have slowed things down...I wonder of what effect or how this product will affect the prices of the original pmg's...