Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yet another trimmed jordan bgs 9.5 - starquest gold

1998 UD Choice Starquest GOLD Michael Jordan #70/100 #SQ30 1998-1999 Bulls | eBay

Here is the card ungraded! Check out the back of the card and notice the white in the bottom corners.

POP 2 BGS 9.5 Michael Jordan 1998-99 UD Choice Starquest GOLD #/100 SP 98 10 WOW | eBay

Here is the card trimmed. Notice the white in the bottom corners has magically disappeared.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

how is that a 10 centering when the star is nealy running off the card!? thats BS!
XARZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

As long as those rich people are paying for these gold labels, scammers will continue to trim the cards (or make it perfect). Eve if BGS rejects grading, the scammers can sell it as raw. It is a perfect business (or scam) that has no risk of losing, but possible of 5x profit.

Also, BGS will not spend time to do research on the history of the card. Considering that we are only paying them $20ish for BGS, mostly Beckett would not bother to spend an hour to dig out everything about this card. If there is no notable warning from the initial review, then the card will be graded.
xavieronly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

BGS should ban future submittals from this person. I realize there are ways around it. I doubt they can or would modify their report for this card.

The current seller didn't even use a different account to buy it.

Are people like this simply using a razor to trim the card?
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was very active in buying Jordan and Kobe stuff and getting them graded. My normal BGS order was usually 10-20 cards and I was happy if I got 3 or 4 Gems. Now you have these guys who can send in 20, 30, 40 cards and 9 out of 10 come back Gem.
There's literally no way I can afford to pick these up anymore because these guys who are trimming their cards are paying top dollar because they are guaranteed to get 9.5 or 10s on the cards as long as they don't mess up the card so bad that it's ungradeable.
minnesotachill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dallas88228

What exactly do u guys mean by TRIMMING????? and how is it done? explain ? Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas88228 View Post
What exactly do u guys mean by TRIMMING????? and how is it done? explain ? Thanks
Let's say a card has a bad edge. Some shady characters will cut the entire edge off(a very little of course) so that it appears to be in perfect shape.

I think they use some sort of paper cutter? You know those giant things you may have seen in school, where you put a piece of paper, and the huge sword looking thing comes down on the paper and BAM!!! hahaha

Why does everything 90's inserts have to have something shady surrounding it? I wonder why........... Well cause of the scum of this hobby of course! SMH
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I also wonder how they do it. I don't think they could possibly use one of those huge paper cutters.

I've used my fair share of exactos and that's got to be it. Nice and slow

I'll try on base card tomorrow and let you know haha

Last edited by murrke03; 09-14-2012 at 11:11 PM.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

How could Beckett let it pass?
dtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

im not 100% sure this one has been trimmed, the distances from the star look to be the same to me. but the question is, how were those corners cleaned up????
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsa View Post
How could Beckett let it pass?
There is a website that shows how to detect trims of vintage cards. I don't know how you could detect a minor trim of a modern card. The cutting technology today is so different. If you only shaved micros off the edge it wouldnt' be detected by calipers. Cards must have some deviation from the norm because not all cards are cut the same. I would suspect that quite a few cards are trimmed by those who have gotten good at it.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

It has definitely been trimmed along he bottom edge. If you lay both photos side-by-side (old versus new), you can clearly see that the star is closer to the bottom edge in the graded scan. You can also focus in on one of the diagonal lines along the bottom edge of the card and see that they are not the same length when compared side-by-side. Somebody is getting a bad deal there and it also emphasizes the point that just because it has been graded, it is not without human error on the grader's part.
snakebit95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

holy moly, GREAT catch there... another obvious tell is looking at the graded card on the back, not only are the white corners gone like you mentioned, but on the right side underneath the hologram, the edge slopes up slightly as it reaches the corner. you can probably see it better on the closeup. it slopes up on the left side too, but the right is more detectable.

does anyone know how beckett would explain this if presented with this overwhelming evidence? could they retroactively mark the card in their pop report as trimmed, so if someone looked up the serial, they could see the truth? obviously, they could recall the card, though lord you wish they somehow could!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote