Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
This is what i am saying!
They are lying obviously. It s impossible that they don't know the price!
They actually honestly do not know the price. I work extremely close with my card shop owner, and I can tell you he doesn't know. I'm not saying none of the hobby shops know but trust me some of them honestly do not. It all most likely depends on the distributor they are getting them from, some released pricing while others may have not.
Cisco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco69 View Post
They actually honestly do not know the price. I work extremely close with my card shop owner, and I can tell you he doesn't know. I'm not saying none of the hobby shops know but trust me some of them honestly do not. It all most likely depends on the distributor they are getting them from, some released pricing while others may have not.
They know the price. The distributors presented the LCS's with pricing and allocation last week. If an LCS won't give you a price, it is because of the Retro effect. So many card shops passed on Retro, and they don't want to get burned again. So they are playing the wait and see game with Exquisite. Most shops can only get 1 to 3 cases anyway, so holding on to that few cases isn't a big risk.
fctryseald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #153 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tristan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco69 View Post
So they order cases based on what customers want?

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

So say they didn't know the price, then UD drops a 5k price on them, people start cancelling. Then what happens?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #154 (permalink)
Banned

they 100 percent know the price a business doesnt buy something they dont know the price of
21taylor21-0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21taylor21-0911 View Post
they 100 percent know the price a business doesnt buy something they dont know the price of
Build it and they will pay lol
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
So they order cases based on what customers want?

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

So say they didn't know the price, then UD drops a 5k price on them, people start cancelling. Then what happens?
+1

Also, I think the distributor are the ones playing wait and see games, not the LCs. Is it legal for the so called UD authorized distributor to determine the price?
With panini at least they put the MAPP or MRSP. That way the middle men cannot manipulate the price.
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #157 (permalink)
Banned

This is going to be the worst product UD has ever put out
enjoipanda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #158 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoipanda11 View Post
This is going to be the worst product UD has ever put out

why do you say that
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #159 (permalink)

I just got in on a case break. Snake draft style, nine people, $275 per person. Should be two cards per person so should be okay. Never done a case break like this so I'm kind of excited.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #160 (permalink)
Banned

yea case break will be fun if you get a top 3 pick haha
Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #161 (permalink)

Big LCS will get direct distribution from upper deck, but usually only 1 to 2 cases. So they will know how much and thats when some guys are saying they're getting $1600-1900 from their Local card shop because LCS doesn't mind just selling for a small profit especially if they're not checking dacardworld and forums everyday and up to date with the prices. Usually they just sell it couple hundred more than what they get from upper deck and a $300 profit is enough for them.

Now there are small local card shops who doens't get direct cases from upper deck. In order to get good products like exquisite, they have to order the crappy stuff as well and pretty much couple cases of every product that comes out. Many card shops these days can't afford to do that because the margin of gain is so small and sometimes they even lose money because of the competitive prices with online stores. So many small card shops will not be able to order directly from Upper deck. The biggest direct buyers from UD are distributors who gets hundreds, maybe thousands of cases from upper deck. Then they distribute to their customers but only to card stores. In order to get it from the distributor, u have to have a business license and in the upper deck case, u must have a real store and not an online one and upper deck for some reason is really strict. So thats why blowoutcards is not even authorized to sell.
So when some local card stores say they're not sure how much its going to be yet, it probably means they're getting it from distributors and while distributors know how much they're getting from upper deck already, when they send it to LCS, they just charge whatever the dealer net going rate is.
crazymj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #162 (permalink)

Someone else, itt I think, or another thread here said that the price was $470. That's why if you have a relationship with your LHS you can get boxes at $530-$575 if you called him before the order deadline at UD. My guy agreed to sell his one case to me because I was the only one who called up and requested it ahead of time.

Quote:
So when some local card stores say they're not sure how much its going to be yet, it probably means they're getting it from distributors and while distributors know how much they're getting from upper deck already, when they send it to LCS, they just charge whatever the dealer net going rate is.
Agreed, yet another reason why its better to have a local who will lock-in a price for you before release date.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #163 (permalink)

tough decisions ahead. to break or not to break.
blastman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
and how much did u end up paying
He's a small local dealer, I'm paying $1600.

He probably isn't getting the loose box anymore from the distributor, not that it matters to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
Big LCS will get direct distribution from upper deck, but usually only 1 to 2 cases. So they will know how much and thats when some guys are saying they're getting $1600-1900 from their Local card shop because LCS doesn't mind just selling for a small profit especially if they're not checking dacardworld and forums everyday and up to date with the prices. Usually they just sell it couple hundred more than what they get from upper deck and a $300 profit is enough for them.

Now there are small local card shops who doens't get direct cases from upper deck. In order to get good products like exquisite, they have to order the crappy stuff as well and pretty much couple cases of every product that comes out. Many card shops these days can't afford to do that because the margin of gain is so small and sometimes they even lose money because of the competitive prices with online stores. So many small card shops will not be able to order directly from Upper deck. The biggest direct buyers from UD are distributors who gets hundreds, maybe thousands of cases from upper deck. Then they distribute to their customers but only to card stores. In order to get it from the distributor, u have to have a business license and in the upper deck case, u must have a real store and not an online one and upper deck for some reason is really strict. So thats why blowoutcards is not even authorized to sell.
100% correct. Thanks for clarifying this, some people might not know how some hobby shops are ran. I'm just glad I will be able to get whatever boxes of exquisite my shop get in.
Cisco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #166 (permalink)
Banned

talked to my guy whos pretty big and hes getting 4 case only
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
talked to my guy whos pretty big and hes getting 4 case only
4 cases are alot. I called maybe 4 stores around me and none can confirm even a case...only hope might be sbay cards who's saying its going to be $2500 case. Not sure if that includes additional 9% tax. He said if u can find any cases less than $2k, grab immediately.
crazymj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #168 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymj View Post
4 cases are alot. I called maybe 4 stores around me and none can confirm even a case...only hope might be sbay cards who's saying its going to be $2500 case. Not sure if that includes additional 9% tax. He said if u can find any cases less than $2k, grab immediately.

yea i dont think there are anymore 2k cases around ive called 25 places and either get 2600 and up or they arent getting any or they dont know the price i locked mine in early and still paid a decent premium
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #169 (permalink)
Banned

Modern day example of an asset bubble. Reading through this is very informative for speculating on high end products in the future.

Reminds me of selling tickets online at different points leading up to a sold-out concert (with a few differences).

Seemed like a lot of ppl were interested before in the current market price (~550); has the disinflation of price changed demand for boxes @ 500 ? (I'm sure the actual quality of the product --good or bad -- is also a factor since most of the discussion took place during pre-sales)
YoungCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #170 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaker View Post
what i posted in another thread.Retro is a different case, the market clearly exists for retro at double its msrp.

I don't blame them, they are a business, but at some point it begins alienating your customer base. I got absolutely killed breaking the cup this year even though I did no worse then I have in the past. The reason being pricing started off at an unsustainable price( several online retailers have brought their prices down, still not close to far enough). The market clearly does not support a 500+ price.

I never have and never will blame card companies for poor return from a break. You know what you are getting into when you decide to open a product. But I will blame people who force a false market price on us through their essential oligopoly on supply.
Very succinct post, this is what I was alluding to with concert tickets
YoungCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #171 (permalink)

boy did i overpay for this crappy product
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #172 (permalink)

nice bump of old thread!
I hope we all learned a lot from 2011-12 Exquisite
Price manipulation to the max ?
Perceived scarcity?
DA, Pitt hiked their prices to $2999 at one point
Some people here saying it will go up and up and up...
Look what happened....
now it s available for $1600 delivered...
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
nice bump of old thread!
I hope we all learned a lot from 2011-12 Exquisite
Price manipulation to the max ?
Perceived scarcity?
DA, Pitt hiked their prices to $2999 at one point
Some people here saying it will go up and up and up...
Look what happened....
now it s available for $1600 delivered...
Price manipulation? How? lol

It was never "hiked up"

People knew it was junk by the first week / couple of breaks.

I mean its still better than busting and getting $200 worth of cards which most other products have been doing.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Price manipulation? How? lol

It was never "hiked up"

People knew it was junk by the first week / couple of breaks.

I mean its still better than busting and getting $200 worth of cards which most other products have been doing.
it was "hiked up" by distributor...not by us, collectors....
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
it was "hiked up" by distributor...not by us, collectors....
Yeah, but it happens to all products.

Look at NT, price gouging is going to reach new heights