Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #101 (permalink)
Member
 
justdagoodstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK8283 View Post
If there are 30 million auto/gu MJ combos out there, there are about 999999999999999999 non auto/gu with some foil on them. Another litmus test - go show your unborn grandkids or a random sports fan who doesn't collect cards both of these and see which one draws the oohs and ahs. Both are nice, but that exquisite is the sickness.
^^ *nods head*
justdagoodstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #102 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
There are tons of Exquisite Jordan autographed patches that are numbered to 23 and even much lower, and if UD gets their license back, or if someone else buys them out in the future and makes NBA cards, then there will be tons more exquisite Jordans produced in the future.

As alluded to above, you can just always buy another exquisite retro Jordan if you trade for the green and sell the green for cash since it's the hottest card right now.

A person with no brain would easily do this deal.

There are only 10 greens in existence, and 10 original greens, and that's it - there are literally hundreds of exquisite Jordans out there, and chances are you will be able to pick one up any time you want.

But the green never comes along, those who are buying a green will never sell it in a million years, so once you lose that chance, it's gone forever.

Everyone will envy you on this board if you get a green, even if it's in a UNC uniform. Exquisite jordans are a dime a dozen, even the retro one.

The retro one is TOO over-rated. Why would you pay over $10,000 for an exquisite retro jordan when you can buy an 03-04 limited logo jordan for less? You can buy other exquisite jordans numbered to 23 with an auto and multiple patches for $5000 or less, why in the world would you want to keep the retro jordan when you have the chance to get a huge pmg green that is worth triple what a exquisite retro Jordan should be worth?

Get the fleer retro green, sell it, then buy 3 more exq. retro jordans since they always pop up and are so easy to find.

The exquisite retro jordan is just all hype. You should trade it for a REAL investment piece - the fleer retro jordan PMG green/10.
Really??
You can trade with your Retro, isn't it??
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Why dont you keep the MJ retro patch and buy the green since $$ arent an issue?
Yes, it's a great idea, but I'm looking to complete others Exqusite set, so I need the $....
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #104 (permalink)
Member
 
cardozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,592
Default

would the auto patch sell for over 15k?

if not, do the deal .
__________________
Complete Karl Malone collection 1.633 and counting (all different).
Website: http://karlmalonecollection.webs.com/
I AM FINALLY CONSIDERED SUPERCOLLECTOR MATERIAL (BECKETT SPORTS CARD MONTHLY SEPTEMBER 2012)
cardozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #105 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo View Post
would the auto patch sell for over 15k?

if not, do the deal .
I bought it for more than 15k!!!
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
cardozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,592
Default

then I would keep it, on the long run that auto patch will hold more value then the retro.
__________________
Complete Karl Malone collection 1.633 and counting (all different).
Website: http://karlmalonecollection.webs.com/
I AM FINALLY CONSIDERED SUPERCOLLECTOR MATERIAL (BECKETT SPORTS CARD MONTHLY SEPTEMBER 2012)
cardozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #107 (permalink)
Member
 
spinotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo View Post
then I would keep it, on the long run that auto patch will hold more value then the retro.
One really never knows about this.

90s PMG has already established itself as THE best brand in the hobby. 97-98 PMG green /10 Jordan haven't been sold since market took off and yet many collectors are waiting, a record price will set when it shows up really for sale. And an astronomical price there will affect positively MJ Retro green for sure. MJ Retro green, although in College Uni, are actually better off that way IMO. If it was in Bulls uni, it will be forever labelled as a remake and not as valued and dwarfed by original, as remakes tend to do. UNC uni MJ retro green is significantly different in theme and has a larger buyer market including hardcore serious MJ collectors who love nostalgic and beautiful designed 90s, and who love current product when they actively busting for and collecting, and also hardcore college hoop fan. It's also where MJ started it all, UNC and game winning shot etc. One should also note the excitement and success of Retro is unprecedented, even beating all the previous releases of exquisite (when do you have a product having 210 + 60 + 23 cards easily beating 1.5k mark shortly after release? Most exquisite AP 1/1 cannot achieve that and certainly not most MJ exq inserts shortly after release). Retro green MJ, best card from such a product, will not go away in demand and value.

On the other hand, RPA flashback /23, being a remake design but new for MJ, should be shawdowed by 97-98 All stars game jersey auto /23, latter of which have exchanged hands around 30k cobsistently. So in some sense a collector would not go anywhere near 30k for such a MJ RPA flashback.

So one has comparison effect going positively for MJ Retro green but MJ flasback is capped in some sense. So it's not a clear call which one beats the other down the road, especially green is much rarer and tougher to track and obtain down the roads.

Also OP clearly says above he rather spend $$$ into completing other exq sets than buying MJ Retro green, then why would he even contemplate breaking up one of better exq sets and trade for a Retro green with a line?

It's similar to another thread asking whether to trade two MJ RPA flashback /23 for a 97-98 PMG green.

All from MJ RPA flashback /23 owners drawing attentions and recognitions to this brand, in comparison to another brand in better hype and demand. I wouldn't blame them as it's one of iconic sets and still under-appreciated in the market for the most part.
__________________
Mainly collecting Kobe and Jordan cards.

PLMK if you want to sell cards which I might need. Thx!

Last edited by spinotron; 10-02-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo and clarity
spinotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #108 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo View Post
then I would keep it, on the long run that auto patch will hold more value then the retro.
Yes, I think the same!!!

Thanks
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #109 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,597
Default

The green retro has more value now and will have more in the future as well.
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #110 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,479
Default

By the sounds of it, you are more of an exquisite collector, not a 90s insert collector or player collector. If thats the case, Id keep the exquisite. If you were an avid 90s insert collector, this retro pmg would better fit your PC.

You have to be into these types of inserts in order to cherish them and pay for what they are. The large amounts paid for these types of inserts is based on nostalgia and having a desire to own them. You seem more of a current collector who likes patches/autos and exquisite in general.

In my opinion, you have already answered your own question. You dont want to trade your exquisite retro jordan for the pmg. If you did, it would have been done already. You were just looking for reassurance
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
TungTLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,751
Default

Yours for sure!!!

__________________
Looking for 13/14 Prizm Gold D.Rose, 12/13 Absolute Team Tandems Patches & 12/13 Innovation Circular Patches
www.photobucket.com/tungtle
TungTLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
By the sounds of it, you are more of an exquisite collector, not a 90s insert collector or player collector. If thats the case, Id keep the exquisite. If you were an avid 90s insert collector, this retro pmg would better fit your PC.

You have to be into these types of inserts in order to cherish them and pay for what they are. The large amounts paid for these types of inserts is based on nostalgia and having a desire to own them. You seem more of a current collector who likes patches/autos and exquisite in general.

In my opinion, you have already answered your own question. You dont want to trade your exquisite retro jordan for the pmg. If you did, it would have been done already. You were just looking for reassurance
yeah this is what i was thinking. the more valuable card is clearly the jordan green, so anyone who isn't attached to the exquisite would have already traded
cardsdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungTLe View Post
Yours for sure!!!

YES man!!! It's mine!!
Did charged it from my photobucket?? It possible to so something like that?
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
verona's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
By the sounds of it, you are more of an exquisite collector, not a 90s insert collector or player collector. If thats the case, Id keep the exquisite. If you were an avid 90s insert collector, this retro pmg would better fit your PC.

You have to be into these types of inserts in order to cherish them and pay for what they are. The large amounts paid for these types of inserts is based on nostalgia and having a desire to own them. You seem more of a current collector who likes patches/autos and exquisite in general.

In my opinion, you have already answered your own question. You dont want to trade your exquisite retro jordan for the pmg. If you did, it would have been done already. You were just looking for reassurance
Yes, it's right! I was curious to know some others opinions!
I was a little doubtful, because the seller of this MJ PMG Green tell me immediatelly YES, when I proposed this trade!!!!!!!
verona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinotron View Post
One really never knows about this.

90s PMG has already established itself as THE best brand in the hobby. 97-98 PMG green /10 Jordan haven't been sold since market took off and yet many collectors are waiting, a record price will set when it shows up really for sale. And an astronomical price there will affect positively MJ Retro green for sure. MJ Retro green, although in College Uni, are actually better off that way IMO. If it was in Bulls uni, it will be forever labelled as a remake and not as valued and dwarfed by original, as remakes tend to do. UNC uni MJ retro green is significantly different in theme and has a larger buyer market including hardcore serious MJ collectors who love nostalgic and beautiful designed 90s, and who love current product when they actively busting for and collecting, and also hardcore college hoop fan. It's also where MJ started it all, UNC and game winning shot etc. One should also note the excitement and success of Retro is unprecedented, even beating all the previous releases of exquisite (when do you have a product having 210 + 60 + 23 cards easily beating 1.5k mark shortly after release? Most exquisite AP 1/1 cannot achieve that and certainly not most MJ exq inserts shortly after release). Retro green MJ, best card from such a product, will not go away in demand and value.

On the other hand, RPA flashback /23, being a remake design but new for MJ, should be shawdowed by 97-98 All stars game jersey auto /23, latter of which have exchanged hands around 30k cobsistently. So in some sense a collector would not go anywhere near 30k for such a MJ RPA flashback.

So one has comparison effect going positively for MJ Retro green but MJ flasback is capped in some sense. So it's not a clear call which one beats the other down the road, especially green is much rarer and tougher to track and obtain down the roads.

Also OP clearly says above he rather spend $$$ into completing other exq sets than buying MJ Retro green, then why would he even contemplate breaking up one of better exq sets and trade for a Retro green with a line?

It's similar to another thread asking whether to trade two MJ RPA flashback /23 for a 97-98 PMG green.

All from MJ RPA flashback /23 owners drawing attentions and recognitions to this brand, in comparison to another brand in better hype and demand. I wouldn't blame them as it's one of iconic sets and still under-appreciated in the market for the most part.
Are you sure no collector would go anywhere near 30k for the flashback? I don't see any for sale, even with public offers well into five figures.

And aesthetically, I like the flashback jordan better than the all-star gu/jsy card - the quality of the autograph is so much better, the design of the card is more attractive, it is a thicker, more solid card, and the game used piece is more textured as well.

Could it be possible that one day the flashback equals the hobby status of the 97-98 jordan gu/auto? methinks that is already a possibility.....
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #116 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Are you sure no collector would go anywhere near 30k for the flashback? I don't see any for sale, even with public offers well into five figures.

And aesthetically, I like the flashback jordan better than the all-star gu/jsy card - the quality of the autograph is so much better, the design of the card is more attractive, it is a thicker, more solid card, and the game used piece is more textured as well.

Could it be possible that one day the flashback equals the hobby status of the 97-98 jordan gu/auto? methinks that is already a possibility.....
THe 09 Retro flash back hits equal hobby status as the 97 MJ all star jersey auto??

Im not discounting that thought. But under the same assumption could we not say the same as a 12 retro green PMG hitting 97 PMG green status? In theory its the same no?

The one thing I never understood about basketball collectors/buyers is the need for people backing assurance into what you want to collect in like. In no other sports, does the hobby dictate who and what brand you should collect the way basketball does. Baffles me!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #117 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
THe 09 Retro flash back hits equal hobby status as the 97 MJ all star jersey auto??

Im not discounting that thought. But under the same assumption could we not say the same as a 12 retro green PMG hitting 97 PMG green status? In theory its the same no?

The one thing I never understood about basketball collectors/buyers is the need for people backing assurance into what you want to collect in like. In no other sports, does the hobby dictate who and what brand you should collect the way basketball does. Baffles me!
Baseball- Bowman chrome rules.

Hockey- The cup
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #118 (permalink)
Member
 
mcgahee21nfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,065
Default

The hype on this newer Jordan stuff (and a good amount of the inserts 'not including 97/98 PMG, Credentials etc') will be dead within 2 years. Prices will plummet.
mcgahee21nfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #119 (permalink)
Member
 
brado8236's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Stupidest trade ever......
^^^ QFT ^^^

If you dropped more than $15K on the Exquisite and you're thinking of trading it for a damaged PMG (what is the refractor line if not damage?), you'd better have a buyer on the line ready to snag that PMG from you for a profit. Otherwise, you're losing money, plain and simple.
__________________
"This might be one of the best card beat downs I have ever seen. Bravo, my friend, bravo." - The Madbacker, 9/15/2011
brado8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #120 (permalink)
Member
 
TheFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 90
Default

As much as I love PMGs, I won't do that deal.
TheFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #121 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Baseball- Bowman chrome rules.

Hockey- The cup
In baseball its the bowman brand. But the Bowman brand isnt $500/pack. The reason bowman dictates rookies is because of prospecting and the amount of prospects put into the set. Thats comparing apples to oranges. Bowman isnt considered an extremely high end product. In baseball volume dictates the brand to collect. Not so in basektball. There isnt enough volume at $500 / pack to dictate it. Plus the set doesnt have 800 cards in the checklist, nor does it have 3 versions of the product (Bowman, BDPP, Bowman chrome).

In Hockey, The Cup is the high end set. But im willing to bet that that the UD sp rookies are more widely collected over the CUP. The price point of bowman brands and UD regular are in tune with the budget of most collectors. THe CuP and Exquisite are not.

Popularity of a certain set in baseball and hockey are set based on rookies and collectablity. In basketball its more about "look what I got" and "im top dog because I have something expensive". My opinion in collecting basketball is about stature not about actually collecting.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #122 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,597
Default

I think basketball collectors keep alot of there stuff as opposed to baseball where they sell everything when a player is called up to majors aside from a few guys. Pujols ,Trout,lincecum

In hockey you got the cup ,Ice rookies and there is ud young rookies which sells great for a base card

Last edited by pepsiporch; 10-03-2012 at 10:24 AM.
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #123 (permalink)
Member
 
dmogull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 3,888
Default

keep the retro!....I hd a deal to buy a retro at $18k and now he wants more....the mj green will drop in value and it will not hold its value over time.....the original green with his pro uniform will
__________________
Currently looking for MJ Exquisite GU autos
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #124 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogull View Post
keep the retro!....I hd a deal to buy a retro at $18k and now he wants more....the mj green will drop in value and it will not hold its value over time.....the original green with his pro uniform will

Which retro 4/10 ?
pepsiporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #125 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 5,623
Default

Do not do the deal. The Exquisite Patch Auto is way better. Fleer Retro was a huge hit for a struggling company, which leads me to believe 10 more green Jordans will be hitting the market next year....and the next year....and the next year. Theres still too much hype around the PMG, the prices will be coming down, not up. The Exquisite has withstood the test of time and the arrow is pointing slightly up while the retro pmg's are pointing down.

Making this trade would be falling victim to fad/trend. That never works out in someones favor. THERES A REASON someone wants to make this trade with you lol
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.