Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
So you're okay with a professional athlete not traveling with the team, missing practice (maybe games), not being able to deal with the media postgame (which is required by the league), and collecting a paycheck? I know you like to say, "I didn't say that," so I want to make sure.

Not everyone is cut out to be a professional athlete. That's just the way it is. There's nothing wrong with that reality. He doesn't have to play basketball. If he wants to, that's fine. But he knows he's going to be put in lots of uncomfortable situations. Asking to be above the rules (while potentially disrupting the team) and collecting a million dollar paycheck is astounding to me.
I never said that. Is it positive that he is going to miss games, practices and events?

How do you know it can't work? Or that it will be such a big disruption? You don't. You are basically discriminating against the guy because he has a mental illness.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
So you're okay with a professional athlete not traveling with the team, missing practice (maybe games), not being able to deal with the media postgame (which is required by the league), and collecting a paycheck? I know you like to say, "I didn't say that," so I want to make sure.

Not everyone is cut out to be a professional athlete. That's just the way it is. There's nothing wrong with that reality. He doesn't have to play basketball. If he wants to, that's fine. But he knows he's going to be put in lots of uncomfortable situations. Asking to be above the rules (while potentially disrupting the team) and collecting a million dollar paycheck is astounding to me.
You're right. It's not discriminating it's just how it is. Some people have illnesses mental and or physical that prevent them from being a professional athlete. Doesn't have anything to do with discrimination - this ain't Walmart, it's the nba. 99.9% of people can't do it for one reason or another...
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
You're right. It's not discriminating it's just how it is. Some people have illnesses mental and or physical that prevent them from being a professional athlete. Doesn't have anything to do with discrimination - this ain't Walmart, it's the nba. 99.9% of people can't do it for one reason or another...
The thing is that his mental illness DOESN'T prevent him from being a professional athlete. So you are wrong.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
I never said that. Is it positive that he is going to miss games, practices and events?

How do you know it can't work? Or that it will be such a big disruption? You don't. You are basically discriminating against the guy because he has a mental illness.
You are so weak. Do you know what the word "discriminating" means? We've been down this road before...

Also, how funny is it that you started with, "I never said that." You never actually say anything. You just distort the argument.

Life is tough, get a helmet.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Every team knew this. It should have been dealt with prior to the draft. Why is it an issue now?
Husker4Ever21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You are so weak. Do you know what the word "discriminating" means? We've been down this road before...

Also, how funny is it that you started with, "I never said that." You never actually say anything. You just distort the argument.

Life is tough, get a helmet.
LOL internet tough guy appearance.

If you can't discuss the topic just try and attack the other person
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
The thing is that his mental illness DOESN'T prevent him from being a professional athlete. So you are wrong.
Wrong, being able to play basketball is only part of being a professional basketball player. Have you actually heard this guy speak? Did you watch the draft documentary where he couldn't sit in a room with his family and friends on draft night because it was too much for him? There's a huge difference between playing at Iowa State and playing in the NBA. I'm not rooting against the guy or anything like that, I just think he's in the wrong here. He should show up to camp, sign his deal, and do his absolute best to make it work. He's going to have to fly to some games. He's going to have to give interviews. He's going to be under more pressure and scrutiny than he's ever experienced in his life. If he can't handle that, this is not the right profession for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right. We aren't talking about a guy who can do a job but needs a ramp to get into a building. We're talking about professional basketball.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL internet tough guy appearance.

If you can't discuss the topic just try and attack the other person
...or make up ridiculous hypotheticals, distort the issue at hand, and say things without ever saying anything, right?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Wrong, being able to play basketball is only part of being a professional basketball player. Have you actually heard this guy speak? Did you watch the draft documentary where he couldn't sit in a room with his family and friends on draft night because it was too much for him? There's a huge difference between playing at Iowa State and playing in the NBA. I'm not rooting against the guy or anything like that, I just think he's in the wrong here. He should show up to camp, sign his deal, and do his absolute best to make it work. He's going to have to fly to some games. He's going to have to give interviews. He's going to be under more pressure and scrutiny than he's ever experienced in his life. If he can't handle that, this is not the right profession for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right. We aren't talking about a guy who can do a job but needs a ramp to get into a building. We're talking about professional basketball.
Where does it say he's not going to fly to some games? Where does it say he is going to be a disruption? Where does it say he is going to hurt the team?

You are making up all these hypotheticals that are wrong. The guy is asking to ride the bus to a couple games when possible? What's wrong with that? You have no proof that it would be any issue.

Maybe the team should all live under that same roof in one big house. Why should carmelo get to live in his mansion while jermey lin lived on his brothers couch?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
It certainly could if he can't make games...Knicks are playin in London this year...what if his team plays over there? Take a boat? The thing is mental illness can prevent you from being able to do things for better or worse. Including being a professional athlete. I'm rooting for the guy but we'll have to see.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicker_Please View Post
It certainly could if he can't make games...Knicks are playin in London this year...what if his team plays over there? Take a boat? The thing is mental illness can prevent you from being able to do things for better or worse. Including being a professional athlete. I'm rooting for the guy but we'll have to see.
It COULD. It also COULD NOT.

No where does it say that he is going to miss games.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
It COULD. It also COULD NOT.

No where does it say that he is going to miss games.
It doesn't say, it doesn't say, it doesn't say. Of course it doesn't say "I'm going to miss games." Are you capable of logical thought? Do you think the Rockets, who drafted him with knowledge of his condition, would say no to him taking a bus to a couple of games if that was it? It goes beyond that. The team is bigger than Royce White. There's no doubt in my mind they will make their best effort to get the most out of White as a player. But they're not going to be haggling with the guy over "a few bus rides" if there were no repercussions beyond that.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't say, it doesn't say, it doesn't say. Of course it doesn't say "I'm going to miss games." Are you capable of logical thought? Do you think the Rockets, who drafted him with knowledge of his condition, would say no to him taking a bus to a couple of games if that was it? It goes beyond that. The team is bigger than Royce White. There's no doubt in my mind they will make their best effort to get the most out of White as a player. But they're not going to be haggling with the guy over "a few bus rides" if there were no repercussions beyond that.
So you work for the Rockets organization?

This was previously know before the draft. It's nothing new as someone posted.

You are making up that it will disrupt the team. You are speculating. That is a true statement.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
So you work for the Rockets organization?

This was previously know before the draft. It's nothing new as someone posted.

You are making up that it will disrupt the team. That is a true statement.
No, I'm just not a moron. How ironic is it that you've changed my "potentially disrupting the team" to "will disrupt." Should I cry, "I never said that?"

Anyways, it's already a distraction. He hasn't shown up for camp. That's been my main point all along (a lot of trouble for someone that isn't even that talented). He's a rookie asking for special treatment. That's not how you should start your career. "I'm not going to show up unless I get..." Really? You know how many people would kill for the opportunity he's getting? But we should feel sorry for him because he has an anxiety disorder?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No, I'm just not a moron. How ironic is it that you've changed my "potentially disrupting the team" to "will disrupt." Should I cry, "I never said that?"

Anyways, it's already a distraction. He hasn't shown up for camp. That's been my main point all along (a lot of trouble for someone that isn't even that talented). He's a rookie asking for special treatment. That's not how you should start your career. "I'm not going to show up unless I get..." Really? You know how many people would kill for the opportunity he's getting? But we should feel sorry for him because he has an anxiety disorder?
Oh you work for the Rockets and you know him personally.

my fault.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh you work for the Rockets and you know him personally.

my fault.
And now you've completed the troll trifecta with the passive aggressive, "you're right, I'm wrong." Usually you talk about a pedestal, surprised you didn't go with that. Oh well. So, we're done here, right?

(Also hilarious, I checked another thread on here, the LeBron trade one, and guess what? You said, "did I say that?" It's kind of embarrassing, you literally do it all the time. But whatever.)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
And now you've completed the troll trifecta with the passive aggressive, "you're right, I'm wrong." Usually you talk about a pedestal, surprised you didn't go with that. Oh well. So, we're done here, right?

(Also hilarious, I checked another thread on here, the LeBron trade one, and guess what? You said, "did I say that?" It's kind of embarrassing, you literally do it all the time. But whatever.)
Stalker?

Troll trifecta? Did you trademark that?

Lets go back to your original post:

If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to get with the program. If he can't handle what the job entails, he should find something else to do with his life.

So basically you are saying that he has to fly to games (to get with the program- somehow what the job entails?) even if he could get to the games by bus.

Talk about an ignorant statement. That's whats embarrassing.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Stalker?

Troll trifecta? Did you trademark that?

Lets go back to your original post:

If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to get with the program. If he can't handle what the job entails, he should find something else to do with his life.

So basically you are saying that he has to fly to games (to get with the program- somehow what the job entails?) even if he could get to the games by bus.

Talk about an ignorant statement. That's whats embarrassing.
Throwing around ignorant... bold strategy from a dullard. Didn't you say something about how that's what people do who can't debate a topic? Anyways, he's the employee. If the Rockets want him on the plane, he should be on the plane. No matter his condition. That's correct.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Throwing around ignorant... bold strategy from a dullard. Didn't you say something about how that's what people do who can't debate a topic? Anyways, he's the employee. If the Rockets want him on the plane, he should be on the plane. No matter his condition. That's correct.
Proving your ignorance.

So your company of employment can tell you to do whatever it wants?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Proving your ignorance.

So your company of employment can tell you to do whatever it wants?
Wow, are you serious?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Wow, are you serious?
I'm asking you. Answer the question. Cause that's how you stated it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm asking you. Answer the question. Cause that's how you stated it.
The answer is obviously yes. My employer gets to set the rules. That's how the real world works. How old are you?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #48 (permalink)

Dude it's an NBA team, everyone flys. It's not like they're singling him out and making him do something outrageous. NBA teams fly to their games because they play all over the country. That's just how it's done because its by far the easiest way to accomplish getting from point a to point b.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The answer is obviously yes. My employer gets to set the rules. That's how the real world works. How old are you?
I drive to work. So according to you my boss is allowed to come in to me tomorrow and say, "You no longer can drive to work. I want you to take the subway and then a bus to work. See you tomorrow at 9."

And I have to just 'get with the program'.

LOL seems right
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I drive to work. So according to you my boss is allowed to come in to me tomorrow and say, "You no longer can drive to work. I want you to take the subway and then a bus to work. See you tomorrow at 9."

And I have to just 'get with the program'.

LOL seems right
Assuming you don't have a contract that says otherwise, yeah, that's pretty much how it works. If it wasn't, why do you think White didn't just sign the contract and say, "I'm not flying with you guys, I'm taking a bus, see ya in Atlanta?" He knows Houston can require him to fly, that's why he isn't signing unless it's in the contract that he can drive to games. Really man, stop rolling your eyes and pick up a book. Probably should stop throwing around "ignorant," too.