Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASKETBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/)
-   -   Royce White Doesn't Report to Rockets' Camp: Cites Fear of Flying (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/378409-royce-white-doesnt-report-rockets-camp-cites-fear-flying.html)

Zacky1053 10-04-2012 09:57 AM

Royce White Doesn't Report to Rockets' Camp: Cites Fear of Flying

Now the Rockets knew about this when they drafted him...why the heck wasn't this addressed?

[url=http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8459655/royce-white-absent-houston-rockets-cites-mental-health]Royce White absent from Houston Rockets, cites mental health - ESPN[/url]

JOHNJOHNNY 10-04-2012 11:21 AM

You know they make these things called cars and buses.

bettydaw1970 10-04-2012 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=JOHNJOHNNY;3419622]You know they make these things called cars and buses.[/QUOTE]

what if they play in new york 1 night, and LA the next?
i know john maden in the nfl had a fear of plaines..
he had a big tour bus he would take when he wan an announcer..

bettydaw1970 10-04-2012 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=bettydaw1970;3419666]what if they play in new york 1 night, and LA the next?
i know john maden in the nfl had a fear of plaines..
he had a big tour bus he would take when he wan an announcer..[/QUOTE]

[url]http://assets.espn.go.com/i/eticket/20100803/photos/etick_madden10_576.jpg[/url]

it was sponsered by outback steakhouse..

Clipperfan3 10-04-2012 01:29 PM

Looks like this guy will be out of the NBA forever in less then a year.

JOHNJOHNNY 10-04-2012 01:30 PM

[quote=bettydaw1970;3419666]what if they play in new york 1 night, and la the next?
I know john maden in the nfl had a fear of plaines..
He had a big tour bus he would take when he wan an announcer..[/quote]

no i meant just to show up for camp. Not every night.

Don't they have drugs that can basically put you to sleep while on a plane?

crimedawg47 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

This issue was well known when he was in college and before the draft. Which is why I was surprised he was drafted so early. I mean the guy can play ball but without being able to fly...He would have missed half of the games last year with the compressed schedule.

jt16 10-04-2012 02:01 PM

The issue is he wants to drive whenever possible, he understands he has to fly. He wants this in his contract because he has mental issues.

Until the Rockets put that he can drive his own bus on road trips he isn't going to report. It must be a big deal for him to risk millions of dollars.

I don't see a problem with it as long as he is on time every time.

dvstringz 10-04-2012 02:02 PM

It sucks, if he can't make it in the NBA he can't even go play overseas.

Andrew Jones 10-04-2012 02:06 PM

They need to drug him or knock him unconscious B.A. Baracus style.

eddiejr 10-04-2012 03:15 PM

I took a quick peek at the Rockets schedule & it's seems possible for him to get driven to every single game. With leaving right after games & driving straight through he shouldn't miss one tip off, but some in some cases he could miss practice.
I hope they can come up with some sort of compromise & the kid can play in the NBA.

gamboooler 10-04-2012 03:24 PM

This will probably come off as insensitive, but whatever... seems like an awful lot of trouble for one player who isn't even that good: a below the rim PF who can rebound a little and handle the ball. Given the severity of his condition, he seems destined to fail. Sucks for him, but just how it is.

If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to get with the program. If he can't handle what the job entails, he should find something else to do with his life.

phdbeckett 10-04-2012 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=Andrew Jones;3420300]They need to drug him or knock him unconscious B.A. Baracus style.[/QUOTE]

I ain't gettin' on no plane!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaJOeLuUD94[/url]

bettydaw1970 10-04-2012 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=phdbeckett;3420764]I ain't gettin' on no plane!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/scottopotamus/Basketball%20Player%20Collections/ABA%20Top%2030%20Players/BarnesMarvin.jpg[/IMG]

marvin barnes was a 1970s aba player..famous for this:

There is the legendary story about the Spirits getting ready to depart on a flight that left Louisville, Ky., at 8 p.m. and would get into St. Louis at 7:56 p.m. due to a time-zone change. Upon looking at the schedule, Barnes said, "I ain't getting on no time machine,'' and rented a car for the trip.

tajikey 10-04-2012 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=JOHNJOHNNY;3420127]no i meant just to show up for camp. Not every night.

Don't they have drugs that can basically put you to sleep while on a plane?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do, but the only Doctor in Houston that would do it is in prison for killing Michael Jackson.......

IowaCubs1 10-04-2012 03:56 PM

I know Royce. He will be fine... He has anxiety obviously.

murrke03 10-04-2012 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3420657]This will probably come off as insensitive, but whatever... seems like an awful lot of trouble for one player who isn't even that good: a below the rim PF who can rebound a little and handle the ball. Given the severity of his condition, he seems destined to fail. Sucks for him, but just how it is.

If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to get with the program. If he can't handle what the job entails, he should find something else to do with his life.[/QUOTE]

.................................... uh

justdagoodstuff 10-04-2012 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3420657]This will probably come off as insensitive, but whatever... seems like an awful lot of trouble for one player who isn't even that good: a below the rim PF who can rebound a little and handle the ball. Given the severity of his condition, he seems destined to fail. Sucks for him, but just how it is.

If he wants to play in the NBA, he needs to get with the program. If he can't handle what the job entails, he should find something else to do with his life.[/QUOTE]

As the old cliche' goes, you can't truly understand another person's situation unless you've walked a day in their shoes ;)

bigcwd2000 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=bettydaw1970;3420802][QUOTE=phdbeckett;3420764]I ain't gettin' on no plane!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/scottopotamus/Basketball%20Player%20Collections/ABA%20Top%2030%20Players/BarnesMarvin.jpg[/IMG]

marvin barnes was a 1970s aba player..famous for this:

There is the legendary story about the Spirits getting ready to depart on a flight that left Louisville, Ky., at 8 p.m. and would get into St. Louis at 7:56 p.m. due to a time-zone change. Upon looking at the schedule, Barnes said, "I ain't getting on no time machine,'' and rented a car for the trip.[/QUOTE]

This made me lol. Good stuff. :)!

gamboooler 10-04-2012 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=justdagoodstuff;3421053]As the old cliche' goes, you can't truly understand another person's situation unless you've walked a day in their shoes ;)[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with understanding his plight. The team shouldn't have to make it work for him, he should make it work for the team.

In any event, the Rockets should have known better. You can't have a guy who receives a guaranteed contract, has to travel by bus/car, potentially misses practices as a result, and may or may not be able to handle the stress of the NBA on your roster. It's just Morey trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else IMO.

justdagoodstuff 10-04-2012 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3421106]Has nothing to do with understanding his plight. The team shouldn't have to make it work for him, he should make it work for the team.

In any event, the Rockets should have known better. You can't have a guy who receives a guaranteed contract, has to travel by bus/car, potentially misses practices as a result, and may or may not be able to handle the stress of the NBA on your roster. It's just Morey trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Rockets knew what they were possibly getting into.

murrke03 10-04-2012 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3421106]Has nothing to do with understanding his plight. The team shouldn't have to make it work for him, he should make it work for the team.

In any event, the Rockets should have known better. You can't have a guy who receives a guaranteed contract, has to travel by bus/car, potentially misses practices as a result, and may or may not be able to handle the stress of the NBA on your roster. It's just Morey trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else IMO.[/QUOTE]

So if someone's handicapped and in a wheelchair the company that hires him should tell him to get over it and refuse to work with his accessibility needs? I mean he needs to make it work for the company not the company making it work for him...

yeah......

gamboooler 10-04-2012 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421184]So if someone's handicapped and in a wheelchair the company that hires him should tell him to get over it and refuse to work with his accessibility needs? I mean he needs to make it work for the company not the company making it work for him...

yeah......[/QUOTE]

Oh my God, go away. You are insufferable.

murrke03 10-04-2012 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=gamboooler;3421687]Oh my God, go away. You are insufferable.[/QUOTE]

You are the one making ridiculous statements. Maybe you should go away.

gamboooler 10-04-2012 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=murrke03;3421696]You are the one making ridiculous statements. Maybe you should go away.[/QUOTE]

So you're okay with a professional athlete not traveling with the team, missing practice (maybe games), not being able to deal with the media postgame (which is required by the league), and collecting a paycheck? I know you like to say, "I didn't say that," so I want to make sure.

Not everyone is cut out to be a professional athlete. That's just the way it is. There's nothing wrong with that reality. He doesn't [I]have to[/I] play basketball. If he wants to, that's fine. But he knows he's going to be put in lots of uncomfortable situations. Asking to be above the rules (while potentially disrupting the team) and collecting a million dollar paycheck is astounding to me.