Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
Chris Jackson is the last guy to do it.....22 years ago. So as I suggested, simplify it to Freshman that have been 1st Team All Americans. Both show the same patterns.
So basically your first statement held no merit to the conversation so now you are 'simplifying' it to something different.

And by 'simplifying' you are changing it because you realized you were wrong and it was a poor example.

And even by 'simplifying' it the comparison still doesn't quite fit Sullingers situation because most freshman all americans that you now want to use as proof don't stay in college for more then one year. So they aren't quite the same comparison.

Like I said before Sullinger is set up to be the classic successful college player that does not amount to much in the league. Maybe he will prove me and others wrong and if so I'll be the first to congratulate him and praise him.
murrke03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrke03 View Post
So basically your first statement held no merit to the conversation so now you are 'simplifying' it to something different.

And by 'simplifying' you are changing it because you realized you were wrong and it was a poor example.

And even by 'simplifying' it the comparison still doesn't quite fit Sullingers situation because most freshman all americans that you now want to use as proof don't stay in college for more then one year. So they aren't quite the same comparison.

Like I said before Sullinger is set up to be the classic successful college player that does not amount to much in the league. Maybe he will prove me and others wrong and if so I'll be the first to congratulate him and praise him.
No I was not wrong. My first point stands. I'm simplifying it because you seem like someone that operates in simple terms.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No I was not wrong. My first point stands. I'm simplifying it because you seem like someone that operates in simple terms.
So your first point that people who have been First Team All-Americans Freshman and Sophomore year do very well in the NBA.

So in the past 20 years there has been one person. Chris Jackson.

Yeah that was a great example. You have a sample size of ONE person in the last twenty years. And while he was an okay NBA player his biggest award was most improved player for one year with little else.

So just like ALL THE OTHER players who were All-Americans Freshman and Sophomore year Sullinger is bound to do great as an NBA player...

Great analysis... Your point stands up sooooo well. lol

Just admit you made a mistake. How hard is that?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
So your first point that people who have been First Team All-Americans Freshman and Sophomore year do very well in the NBA.

So in the past 20 years there has been one person. Chris Jackson.

Yeah that was a great example. You have a sample size of ONE person in the last twenty years. And while he was an okay NBA player his biggest award was most improved player for one year with little else.

So just like ALL THE OTHER players who were All-Americans Freshman and Sophomore year Sullinger is bound to do great as an NBA player...

Great analysis... Your point stands up sooooo well. lol

Just admit you made a mistake. How hard is that?
What mistake? You cannot find the information and that is my problem. Please.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
What mistake? You cannot find the information and that is my problem. Please.
I cannot find information because it doesn't exist.

Do you know what sample size is?

There is one player in the past twenty years that did what you said. Yet your original post was that Sullinger will do well just like all the other players that have been all-americans their first two years in college. The problem is there has only been one in the last twenty years.

Are you serious right now?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

Sullinger leading Celtics scorer so far in his first preseason game in Istanbul:

23 min, 7/11 shooting, 16 pts, 8 reb, 1 blk

Last edited by Hallco; 10-05-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added info
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

So far so good for Sullinger. Might have played himself into a starting role with his showing this preseason.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtsfan33 View Post
So I have a question...
Originally Jared Sullinger was projected 8th but dropped to 23rd due to back injury reports. Now that he is fine and has no probelms, did the Celtics get a steal in him and how good can he be?

Thanks!
He still has the same problem that caused him to drop in the draft. It wasn't a current injury, its the fact that during all pre-draft physicals it came out that Jared has different length legs, one being a full inch shorter than the other, and that an abnormality like that will likely cause FUTURE chronic back problems over a professional basketball players career.

Does the issue guarantee Sullinger will have problems? Certainly not, but the likelihood scared many teams from taking him too early.

I'm sure his lackluster play in the tournament didn't help either, but the future concern for his health was the main thing.

Personally, I think he'll be solid for as long as his body holds up. I can't see him being able to dominate an NBA game like he sometimes did in college, but he certainly won't go the route of Greg Oden either.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I cannot find information because it doesn't exist.

Do you know what sample size is?

There is one player in the past twenty years that did what you said. Yet your original post was that Sullinger will do well just like all the other players that have been all-americans their first two years in college. The problem is there has only been one in the last twenty years.

Are you serious right now?
I forgot about this thread. I'm still waiting for this 'proving information' that doesn't exist...

As for Sullinger I wish him the best but I don't see him being 'the man' in the league like people may have predicted a couple years ago.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I forgot about this thread. I'm still waiting for this 'proving information' that doesn't exist...

As for Sullinger I wish him the best but I don't see him being 'the man' in the league like people may have predicted a couple years ago.
He is proving it each time he is on the court. The thread was not about him being "the man", it was about him being a potential steal at the 21 pick. Two completely different things.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
He is proving it each time he is on the court. The thread was not about him being "the man", it was about him being a potential steal at the 21 pick. Two completely different things.
So everything you posted before was just you making stuff up?

Great At least you admit it now...

oh and by the way preseason doesn't mean anything. he can only prove himself once the season starts.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
So everything you posted before was just you making stuff up?

Great At least you admit it now...

oh and by the way preseason doesn't mean anything. he can only prove himself once the season starts.
Not making anything up. Go look at the history of NBA players that were able to achieve AP First Team during Freshman and Soph. years. Over the course of history it has happened MULTIPLE TIMES.

Due to you being somewhat slow I also suggested to also look at the list of Freshman that have made AP First Team because in today's game it happens a bit more frequently and is easier information to find and compare.

The point of both is THE EXACT SAME. College players that are standouts early in there career tend to do well in the NBA.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Not making anything up. Go look at the history of NBA players that were able to achieve AP First Team during Freshman and Soph. years. Over the course of history it has happened MULTIPLE TIMES.

Due to you being somewhat slow I also suggested to also look at the list of Freshman that have made AP First Team because in today's game it happens a bit more frequently and is easier information to find and compare.

The point of both is THE EXACT SAME. College players that are standouts early in there career tend to do well in the NBA.
Sample size of one in the last 20 years and I am the slow one.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Sample size of one in the last 20 years and I am the slow one.
Yes you seem to be. The sample size alone over that period should tell you something.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes you seem to be. The sample size alone over that period should tell you something.
Lol you most not have taken statistics class yet.

Great proof
Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #41 (permalink)

I have tried to avoid this thread because it has turned into almost every other Celtics thread on these boards, but I have watched Sullinger and I have guarded optimism about him

I think the Carlos Boozer and Baby Davis comparisons are good ones. Boozer fell to the 2nd round for a reason, especially coming off a national title and an ACC tournament MVP. Now Boozer has exceeded expectations, where as Baby has shown flashes, but when Davis is not an idiot hes a solid NBA player, well he should be and I think this year without Dwight Baby should explode more.

I think Sullinger could be either if he stays healthy, could he make an All Star game? Sure. Could he average 20/10? Of course he can especially with Rondo on his team and the lack of rebounding.

I can also see Sullinger being out of the league in 4 years because of back problems.

Too many contradictions in this thread about him when he hasnt even played a game yet, people already dismissing him as someone who wont do anything and quoting goofy white guys or whatever.

If you wanna look at awards and say "Well they never did anything" look at the Nasmith award, how many superstars or star players turned out from that list? Quite a bit

Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I am not saying since he won that award that means he is gonna be a star, but that is the type of reasoning others have used in this thread to dismiss him.

Anyways, back to hating on anything that wears Green.
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #42 (permalink)

I think he's a good player but not a steal @ 23 and a back injury is forever there's no such thing as getting better from back injuries, I've been with back problems since I was 17 now 12 years and 2 surgery later the pain is still there.
samuel1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

I don't like his body language during games and in training camp. Seems like he takes his talents for granted.
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Hopefully KG will beat out the so called 'attitude' problem...he'll have plenty of opportunities at the Celtics...really hope he can contribute...
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Boston is going to continue to tread water so it doesn't really matter
enjoipanda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoipanda11 View Post
Boston is going to continue to tread water so it doesn't really matter
How have they been "treading water"?

They were in the ECF last year, the finals in 2008, and 2010.

Do you mean "Boston will continue to not win a title", which is possible but treading water is like barely surviving, 1st round and out type.

Which that isnt the case
Old 10-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #47 (permalink)

i think he is going to prove to be a steal and at least a solid pickup. Could see him averaging 13 and 7 if he can get at least 25 mpg.

PANINI = CHEAPSKATES: http://youtu.be/rsSq7QqpUto
clipperboy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperboy24 View Post
i think he is going to prove to be a steal and at least a solid pickup. Could see him averaging 13 and 7 if he can get at least 25 mpg.
Which is perfect for a team like Boston. Or any team really.

I am haunted by the memories of Acie Earl, Eric Montross, Jerome Moiso. So I am not ready to jump on and say Sullinger is an All Star, it is going to take time.

I am happy so far with him, there is a lot more hope for him than any other draft pick since Chauncey Billups.....Rondo was different, he was a trade
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #49 (permalink)

Yeah can't be much worse then the bigs on the bench last year. So it should be an improvement, either way.

I think Bass earned the right to start this year after a solid season last year, if healthy.

Collecting Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Cades is online now   Reply With Quote